IVF/ICSI Support Group

hi, i'm not sure if this is the correct thread but I need help.

my wife was diagnose with severe OHSS after her egg retrieval and had to be hospitalised for 4days. Initially when we were told that she'll be hospitalised, I called her insurance agent to verify if indeed her stay will be covered. she's insured under Great Eastern Total Health Platinium and Supreme Health Plan - P Plus. The agent had told us hospitalisation will be covered.

anyway 2 months after she was discharged, we were shocked to receive a letter from GE that her hospitalisation will not be covered! basically just slapped us with the clause saying not covered under fertility treatment. anybody here experience this before and is there any way we can appeal?

my wife was diagnose with severe OHSS after her egg retrieval and had to be hospitalised for 4days. Initially when we were told that she'll be hospitalised, I called her insurance agent to verify if indeed her stay will be covered. she's insured under Great Eastern Total Health Platinium and Supreme Health Plan - P Plus. The agent had told us hospitalisation will be covered.

anyway 2 months after she was discharged, we were shocked to receive a letter from GE that her hospitalisation will not be covered! basically just slapped us with the clause saying not covered under fertility treatment. anybody here experience this before and is there any way we can appeal?

A lot of insurance doesn't cover anything related to fertility. Maybe can speak to your Insurance Agent ?

I thought as long as hospitalisation , it is fully covered and doesn't matter what reasons. This is what my insurance agent told before. But I haven't gone through the details of the policy, it is too thick.

I thought as long as hospitalisation , it is fully covered and doesn't matter what reasons. This is what my insurance agent told before. But I haven't gone through the details of the policy, it is too thick.

Unfortunately fertility related and maternity related are usually not covered under hospitalization insurance. I was recently hospitalized due to bleeding issues and my agent confirmed that majority of maternity related conditions that requires hospitalization will not be covered.

I left 2 blastocyst. Should i transfer 1 or 2 for FET? doctor mentioned for my age she recommend 1 only. I afraid that if transfer 2 and i have no more left if it is bfn. If i transfer 1, i am afraid success rate not so high

I left 2 blastocyst. Should i transfer 1 or 2 for FET? doctor mentioned for my age she recommend 1 only. I afraid that if transfer 2 and i have no more left if it is bfn. If i transfer 1, i am afraid success rate not so high

Hv u BFP before? First fet?

Hi gals
Feeling a bit lost.
Just failed my FET after a double stim protocol. Due to low AMH, I only have an embryo from each ER. (One good grade compacting and one satisfactory).
Had a previous failed fresh prior.
Have now depleted all govt grants and medisave.
Does anyone have any recommendations for doctors good with low AMH? I am in my late 30s. Really need to pick myself up.

Not sure about the terms and conditions of your policy but most insurance policies do not cover hospitalisation charges as a result of assisted reproductive technologies and/or pregnancy complications.

I was also hospitalized for 8 days for OHSS and got a bill for 2.6k. Like you, I assumed my insurance policy would cover it until I got the rejection letter and I went to check and realised there's a clause which said they do not cover these charges.

Hi Ladies,

I am a silent reader here and recently has been getting confused if i should go for IVF.

Currently i am with Dr Roland Chieng, have gone through all the blood test and ivf counselling.
At first he did mentioned that we have pretty high chance as i have Ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago and has pinpoint our issues . But on our second visit, he said our chance is low due to my hubby has high DNA fragmentation. And on the same day he did endo scratch on me which was on my D11, not sure why he did that and i didnt ask as well. I have read some info about endometrial scratch online , it should be done on D21 or around that period.
My hubby has prescribed 1 month medication for DNA improvement, and retest of blood test will be on this month.
Wondering if not much improvement from the medication, we should try to go natural instead of ivf since the chances are not high. Dr Chieng did mentioned that even icsi cannot help much on that. :(

Any ladies here facing the same problems before?

Hi Ladies,

I am a silent reader here and recently has been getting confused if i should go for IVF.

Currently i am with Dr Roland Chieng, have gone through all the blood test and ivf counselling.
At first he did mentioned that we have pretty high chance as i have Ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago and has pinpoint our issues . But on our second visit, he said our chance is low due to my hubby has high DNA fragmentation. And on the same day he did endo scratch on me which was on my D11, not sure why he did that and i didnt ask as well. I have read some info about endometrial scratch online , it should be done on D21 or around that period.
My hubby has prescribed 1 month medication for DNA improvement, and retest of blood test will be on this month.
Wondering if not much improvement from the medication, we should try to go natural instead of ivf since the chances are not high. Dr Chieng did mentioned that even icsi cannot help much on that. :(

what medication did roland give yr hubby for dna improvement?

roland normally do endo scratch before e ivf cycle. e scratch can last 3 mths. its suposed to help in implantaion
but he did on day 11 instead of day 21 practise by some other gynaes.

i believe his test on dna fragmentation is on e sperm test rather than blood test to gauge?

what medication did roland give yr hubby for dna improvement?

roland normally do endo scratch before e ivf cycle. e scratch can last 3 mths. its suposed to help in implantaion
but he did on day 11 instead of day 21 practise by some other gynaes.

i believe his test on dna fragmentation is on e sperm test rather than blood test to gauge?

Hi Connie,

Ya, it is a sperm test.
Dr Roland Chieng has given COQ10, Vit B , Doxy, and some inflammatory for him to take 1 month.
Do you know the reason why on D11 instead of D21?
Are you with the same doc as me?
Sigh, i am so confused by the arrangement from him.

Hi Connie,

Ya, it is a sperm test.
Dr Roland Chieng has given COQ10, Vit B , Doxy, and some inflammatory for him to take 1 month.
hi,
i am not sure why he did on day 11,maybe other sisters who did e icsi with him can help advise you on this. i am confused on this also for his endo scratch day.
basically i did 3 preliminary consults with him,just short of final step plunge into it with him.
doxy is doxycyline? no other supplements? but normally roland din give supplements

Hi. I wonder why she is not covered. I was hospitalised in KKH for 3 nights for moderate OHSS in March this year and my insurance paid for the stay. I'm also under the same exact insurance. The staff doing the admission paper did mention that insurance usually do not cover for fertility and we were prepared to pay on our own. But the hospital filed the claim and we got the cheque from GE to reimburse us for the hospital bill. I didn't check with my agent if it is covered, but he called me to check if I have anymore post-hospital claims.

Hi Connie,

Ya, it is a sperm test.
How did he conclude the sperm dna has high fragmentation? Is it from the morphology of the semen analysis? I dont think can conclude sperm dna high frag unless you call for blood test abd this report usually done by NUH labs.

He did the endo scratch on me day 11 also. Pain for 1 week. That time i also thought wrong timing for scatch and i didnt know he was going to scratch cos he only mentioned he was doing hysterocope to see if the uterine wall is ok.

I dont know what major issues you have but if we exclude the dna frag, your chance of conceiving via ivf icsi should be same as any other ladies your age going through the same procedure, since preg before.

Keep your heart open.

Hi. I wonder why she is not covered. I was hospitalised in KKH for 3 nights for moderate OHSS in March this year and my insurance paid for the stay. I'm also under the same exact insurance. The staff doing the admission paper did mention that insurance usually do not cover for fertility and we were prepared to pay on our own. But the hospital filed the claim and we got the cheque from GE to reimburse us for the hospital bill. I didn't check with my agent if it is covered, but he called me to check if I have anymore post-hospital claims.
Im quite sure shield doesnt pay fertility related complications. So maybe got lucky insurer missed it. Or maybe the discharge summary didnt put ohss so insurer dont know. Or the claim assessor blur on yr ohss never check that its fertility related. Anyway you very lucky. I would keep quiet if i were you in case they recover the claim.

hi,
i am not sure why he did on day 11,maybe other sisters who did e icsi with him can help advise you on this. i am confused on this also for his endo scratch day.
basically i did 3 preliminary consults with him,just short of final step plunge into it with him.
doxy is doxycyline? no other supplements? but normally roland din give supplements

Hi Connie,

Yap, doxycyline.
So are you doing ivf with him as well?
How do you find him?

How did he conclude the sperm dna has high fragmentation? Is it from the morphology of the semen analysis? I dont think can conclude sperm dna high frag unless you call for blood test abd this report usually done by NUH labs.

He did the endo scratch on me day 11 also. Pain for 1 week. That time i also thought wrong timing for scatch and i didnt know he was going to scratch cos he only mentioned he was doing hysterocope to see if the uterine wall is ok.

I dont know what major issues you have but if we exclude the dna frag, your chance of conceiving via ivf icsi should be same as any other ladies your age going through the same procedure, since preg before.

Keep your heart open.
dns sperm fragmentation test is a test specially to see how fragmented e sperms is. its not a blood test nor SA test. there is also a oxidative stress assembly test for sperms.
these test cost ard $100 to $500.

its to see if can sustain pregnancy.

gracewithus,how are you?doing good with yr fet?long time no pm you liao :)

Hi Connie,

Yap, doxycyline.
How do you find him?
Usually doxy is just before hubby give the sperm for ivf ma.. have you started ivf with him already? And scratch also only last 3 months so i guess you starting soon? I did 1 round fresh and fet with him. I think i hv no luck with him. But seems like many other sisters in this forum have good experience with him. You can run a search of his name on this forum to read more.

Hi Connie,

Yap, doxycyline.
How do you find him?
i not doing with him. i have stop ivfing as i failed 3 rounds,but with other doctors.

good luck. hope other sis can help u with e day 11 endo scratch questions. he has many sisters succeed under him

dns sperm fragmentation test is a test specially to see how fragmented e sperms is. its not a blood test nor SA test. there is also a oxidative stress assembly test for sperms.
these test cost ard $100 to $500.

its to see if can sustain pregnancy.

gracewithus,how are you?doing good with yr fet?long time no pm you liao :)
When you see me reply so fast on forum means i very free.. i pm you...

I didnt know got sperm dna frag test!! How can i not know? Amazed, fertility is a learning journey indeed!

When you see me reply so fast on forum means i very free.. i pm you...

I didnt know got sperm dna frag test!! How can i not know? Amazed, fertility is a learning journey indeed!
its for e males. think yr hub soldier is great that y roland didnt order this test. they are expensive test..

Keep your heart open.

Hi Gracewithus,

You are with Dr Roland and doing ivf too??
Ya, it was painful and i grabbed his pillow like mad woman!!:eek: Until he said don't do this while doing the scratching.. LOL..
May i know which stage are you now?
He mentioned that the major issue is my hubby high DNA frag...:(
Which lower the success rate for ivf/icsi....

Hi Gracewithus,

Ya, it was painful and i grabbed his pillow like mad woman!!:eek: Until he said don't do this while doing the scratching.. LOL..
I did my fresh with him in Jan 2016. Fet in feb 2016. Not successful. I hv 2 frozen but quality no good so he wants me do another round fresh to gather more embryo pool. I was quite unhappy that he didnt tell me about the scratch beforehand.

This year wanted to do another round of fresh but i hv one more round of govt subsidy so i didnt want to waste. So im doing my fresh with NUH.

NUH done my scratch this yr. I was very fearful cos the last scratch i end up pain 1 week and i constantly worry if i was dev an infection. But this round NUH scratch on day 21 was ok. Only cramp 2 days. I think day 11 our endometrium is thin, so scratch very painful.... Then i keena charge for trial cannulation when my ET is actually very simple path.

For his charges, i feel the clinic nurses could be more efficient.

Cannot comment more as it was only 1 fresh with him. He has special and good ideas which i think you cannot find with conventional doctors. For example he wanted to do mini ivf with me as he feels my egg quality dont seem to come out well with jabs. But mini ivf is only 3 to 5 eggs... then fresh at virtus is at least 12k... so..... normally i can produce quite at least 16 which makes the ROI of a fresh higher.... lol..

Hi Gracewithus,

Even with high dna frag, your best chance at getting preg is still ivf icsi i would think.

Get hubby to take coq10 / ubiquinol which is very good antioxidant, need to take at least 3 months. Dont rush into it if you are still early 30s try to see if the sperm improve. Cos fresh cycle not cheap unless you can afford and dont wanna wait.

My hubby sperm count and morph improved after taking many months but still below standards, but good enough for icsi.

I did my fresh with him in Jan 2016. Fet in feb 2016. Not successful. I hv 2 frozen but quality no good so he wants me do another round fresh to gather more embryo pool. I was quite unhappy that he didnt tell me about the scratch beforehand.

This year wanted to do another round of fresh but i hv one more round of govt subsidy so i didnt want to waste. So im doing my fresh with NUH.

NUH done my scratch this yr. I was very fearful cos the last scratch i end up pain 1 week and i constantly worry if i was dev an infection. But this round NUH scratch on day 21 was ok. Only cramp 2 days. I think day 11 our endometrium is thin, so scratch very painful.... Then i keena charge for trial cannulation when my ET is actually very simple path.

Cannot comment more as it was only 1 fresh with him. He has special and good ideas which i think you cannot find with conventional doctors. For example he wanted to do mini ivf with me as he feels my egg quality dont seem to come out well with jabs. But mini ivf is only 3 to 5 eggs... then fresh at virtus is at least 12k... so..... normally i can produce quite at least 16 which makes the ROI of a fresh higher.... lol..
Hi Gracewithus,

I agree with you about the clinic nurses!!! They are so unprofessional to me actually. Like really unprepare for me Endoscratch, did not remind me to bring a pad, luckily i went home after my Endo, my underwear was soak with blood!!!:confused:
Moreover, the nurse did not advise us not to take daily products with Doxycycline, luckily i still remember it shouldnt take together as last time i worked as part time clinic assistance when i was young.

May i know how much you have spend on virtus ivf?

Hi Ladies,

any sis with roland can help this sister respond on her day 11 for endo scratch query? thanks[/QUOTE]

Even with high dna frag, your best chance at getting preg is still ivf icsi i would think.

Get hubby to take coq10 / ubiquinol which is very good antioxidant, need to take at least 3 months. Dont rush into it if you are still early 30s try to see if the sperm improve. Cos fresh cycle not cheap unless you can afford and dont wanna wait.

My hubby sperm count and morph improved after taking many months but still below standards, but good enough for icsi.

Ya, my hubby taking loads of vitamins now!!!:(
Between i am already 36 this year lo.....
But of cause if the chances is still low then i shall just wait and try natural ba.....
Will going back for review next month to see how.

Hello dear... im scheduled for FET this month. Fresh didnt make any transfer cos risk of ohss. Im schedule for 2nd lining scan this fri. Most probably ET Next week. How bout u?

Hi Monalee,

KKH just called they said my husband have to go some blood test (out of pre-IVF) and ultrasound before proceed to IVF process .
:( I cant wait to start but seem like very long...

Pray hard for your, all the best :)

Hi Gracewithus,

I agree with you about the clinic nurses!!! They are so unprofessional to me actually. Like really unprepare for me Endoscratch, did not remind me to bring a pad, luckily i went home after my Endo, my underwear was soak with blood!!!:confused:
Moreover, the nurse did not advise us not to take daily products with Doxycycline, luckily i still remember it shouldnt take together as last time i worked as part time clinic assistance when i was young.

As of my december 2016 check with virtus. They hv increased price by 2k. Fresh ER is 8.8k and FET is 4k. RC will do fresh ER and then FET so will be 12.8K before GST. You can always call up Virtus to check on their rates.

This 12.8K excludes medication and RC IVF monitoring package. Monitoring package is 1800 and includes consult, scans and blood tests during the stimmulation. This is new package since late 2016. When i did in early 2016 the consult and scans and BT were alacarte price and much cheaper, by about 1k. But if you have lots of scans or monitoring rounds maybe ok?

Then you need to factor in medication cost of the jabs. This one varies from person to person as some women req higher dose of stimm. Mine was about 4k for medication, and i respond well my dose is on lower end of spectrum.

Hi Gracewithus,

Hmm my stimm medication was 5k, not 4k. This was on 10 days of stimm. Total spent about 17 to 18k in early 2016 IVF. So with the Virtus price increase 2k and RC new monitoring package extra 1k, it would cost me 20 to 21k. Hope this helps.

Would suggest you can call the clinic to double check the price if you need to do budgeting.

As of my december 2016 check with virtus. They hv increased price by 2k. Fresh ER is 8.8k and FET is 4k. RC will do fresh ER and then FET so will be 12.8K before GST. You can always call up Virtus to check on their rates.

This 12.8K excludes medication and RC IVF monitoring package. Monitoring package is 1800 and includes consult, scans and blood tests during the stimmulation. This is new package since late 2016. When i did in early 2016 the consult and scans and BT were alacarte price and much cheaper, by about 1k. But if you have lots of scans or monitoring rounds maybe ok?

Then you need to factor in medication cost of the jabs. This one varies from person to person as some women req higher dose of stimm. Mine was about 4k for medication, and i respond well my dose is on lower end of spectrum.
Hi Gracewithus,

Thank you for your info!!!;)
Meaning he quoted for us is really cost about 20k!!
Did he do the mini ivf with you before? i never heard of that..
May i know if you are on 2ww? All the best to you !!

Hi Ladies,

Hi I'm currently with Roland as well.

Not mentioning about endo on day 11, but I would query why he even did endo scratch for u there and then unless u have decided to do a fresh cycle with him like very soon cos based on what the sisters here said, endo scratch will last 3 months?

Another thing is, he doesn't do fresh cycle transfer, he usually does frozen cycle transfer.

When I first went to him, he ordered some blood tests for me, which I feel is redundant as a lot of those were already done for me at nuh..
And it took 3 visits for him to finish ordering all the tests he wanted me and hubby to go through (so of cos in my heart I was thinking why can't he order all at once so I don't have to waste the repeated consultation fees!)

However he did not do any endo scratch for me yet.

Well all being said, I feel that he knows his stuff and seems quite experienced despite I thought he looks kinda young? And I haven done my ET so I can't comment on my luck with him yet

Hi Connie,

Ya, it is a sperm test.

Why he gave your hubby doxycycline? Is he having some infections?

Actually whenever in doubt, pls ask the doctor directly otherwise u will get more confused

Not too sure about high DNA fragmentation.. Roland did prescribe COQ10 for my hubby as well, but hubby not keen to take, and the Nurses also blur blur didn't give us.. so well, hubby is happy. And Roland records indicated that hubby was given.. so ya I feel they are not as systematic as govt hospital

Hi what was your dosage when with Roland?

How many embryos did you transfer during your FET in Feb 2016?

Ur frozen embryos with Roland should be blasts right? How to judge good or not good?

Hmm my stimm medication was 5k, not 4k. This was on 10 days of stimm. Total spent about 17 to 18k in early 2016 IVF. So with the Virtus price increase 2k and RC new monitoring package extra 1k, it would cost me 20 to 21k. Hope this helps.

Would suggest you can call the clinic to double check the price if you need to do budgeting.

What is the new monitoring package about?

Hi I'm currently with Roland as well.

Not mentioning about endo on day 11, but I would query why he even did endo scratch for u there and then unless u have decided to do a fresh cycle with him like very soon cos based on what the sisters here said, endo scratch will last 3 months?

Another thing is, he doesn't do fresh cycle transfer, he usually does frozen cycle transfer.

When I first went to him, he ordered some blood tests for me, which I feel is redundant as a lot of those were already done for me at nuh..
And it took 3 visits for him to finish ordering all the tests he wanted me and hubby to go through (so of cos in my heart I was thinking why can't he order all at once so I don't have to waste the repeated consultation fees!)

However he did not do any endo scratch for me yet.

Well all being said, I feel that he knows his stuff and seems quite experienced despite I thought he looks kinda young? And I haven done my ET so I can't comment on my luck with him yet
Hi Dreamcometrue,

I understand what you mean. I did my blood test elsewhere on purpose, as i know the price is much cheaper if its done by GP. Honestly speaking, i have saved $ 150 + for my blood test.
I am still thinking if i should go ahead ivf with him, looks like too much doubts now.
Actually he is not really young , he is same age with my friend and she was his classmate. Think around 48 years old.

Did you still with him for ivf?

Hi what was your dosage when with Roland?

How many embryos did you transfer during your FET in Feb 2016?

Ur frozen embryos with Roland should be blasts right? How to judge good or not good?
Hi DCT. My dose was 250iu increased to 275iu after 1st scan.

Transfered 2 embryos. Although they prefer blast, it all depends on the kind of sperm and eggs we produce and how many embryos we hv by d3. So we only had 4 embryos by day 3. So i think they wouldnt wanna take the risk so they froze on d3.

Virtus embryologist and dr roland did comment that my remaining 2 embryos quality were not excellent.

Hi Dreamcometrue,

I understand what you mean. I did my blood test elsewhere on purpose, as i know the price is much cheaper if its done by GP. Honestly speaking, i have saved $ 150 + for my blood test.
I am still thinking if i should go ahead ivf with him, looks like too much doubts now.
Actually he is not really young , he is same age with my friend and she was his classmate. Think around 48 years old.

Did you still with him for ivf?
then he looks very young.... I was guessing he most early 40

Oh ya, whats that?
He never mentioned to me...
Once you decide to start fresh ivf with him and started injections you will need to pay consult and scans for monitoring follicles. Each visit will req blood test as well. So these are all covered under the ivf monitoring package. This is as of dec 2016.. unless they hv scrap this..

@Dreamscometrue @Holidaylover May I know what blood test did Dr Roland order for you? I just went to see him for the 1st time last week and he didn't get me or hubby to do any blood test. he only suggested doing sperm DNA fragmentation test and laparoscopy, since i had 1 miscarriage last year and 3 failed FETs.

Hi DCT. My dose was 250iu increased to 275iu after 1st scan.

Transfered 2 embryos. Although they prefer blast, it all depends on the kind of sperm and eggs we produce and how many embryos we hv by d3. So we only had 4 embryos by day 3. So i think they wouldnt wanna take the risk so they froze on d3.

Virtus embryologist and dr roland did comment that my remaining 2 embryos quality were not excellent.

Oh so they changed their strategy? Cos when I went this year, they say they will grow all to blast stage, even if it's just a few embryos.. so I asked if only like 1 or 2 embryos? Then The embryologist say they will still grow to day 5, and if cannot survive till day 5 means no point to transfer at day 3 also.. so I was quite scared when I was with them.. very scared cannot survive till blast stage

@Dreamscometrue @Holidaylover May I know what blood test did Dr Roland order for you? I just went to see him for the 1st time last week and he didn't get me or hubby to do any blood test. he only suggested doing sperm DNA fragmentation test and laparoscopy, since i had 1 miscarriage last year and 3 failed FETs.

Hi I think we were preg almost the same time last year but unfortunately MC!

It's all the basic thing like thyroid function etc, then sperm DNA fragmentation, then karotyping

What's the reason for him to suggest laparoscopic for u? Unless u don't mind the cost and have insurance to pay, laparoscopic by him will cost at least 15k, that's why I went to govt instead for my laparoscopy

Ok one thing about Pte is, they will suggest almost EVERYTHING for u, so my two cents worth is u better know what is it that they want u to do before u pay for it.. just keep asking them questions

Oh so they changed their strategy? Cos when I went this year, they say they will grow all to blast stage, even if it's just a few embryos.. so I asked if only like 1 or 2 embryos? Then The embryologist say they will still grow to day 5, and if cannot survive till day 5 means no point to transfer at day 3 also.. so I was quite scared when I was with them.. very scared cannot survive till blast stage
Im actually quite disappointed cos when i started my ivf they really very confident to cultivate until blast despite me warning them that my quality not good and fertilisation track record is very poor.

Although we know ivf is not a guranteed thing, they shouldnt hv raised our expectation that the virtus lab can do better. We actually fell for it, we thought try lo cos my first two at KKH fresh no blast maybe lab makes a diff.. to be expecting blast when it didnt happen really hurts plus with this kind of fees.

Back