(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

SK: Hmmm…if no one dare to say no to your grandma-in-law (she is the matriarch kind?)…maybe one cake for your girl (after all you already ordered her cake, right?) and the 3 kids share one cake? But at the end of the day, I think the attention will still be on your girl. When I was a kid, my parents celebrated my twin sisters’ 1st birthday together with mine. Our birthdays is just a day apart and I am 8 years older than them. One cake but sang birthday song twice and blew candle twice. The attention was all on them – me calefare only – after all they were cute and adorable twin babies lor. Yeah, the 3 kids, do they even want to combine the celebration in the first place?

Ann: gd idea, i'll try sounding it out..

jasmine: yeah i told my hubby and he only told me his grandma "say say only", wont do it one lar.. like patronizing me lor.

SK: If it's me, I also dun want to celebrate my boy's 1st BD with other kids (nieces/nephews) lor.

If it's 2nd BD onwards, still ok lah...cuz by then more kids together celebrating can be more fun.

Vernie: yes grandma is like empress lor. Whatever she says, no one dares to defy… moreover she is super traditional & insists her way so u can imagine the amt of customary we went through during my wedding. I was preg that time already & didn’t dare to tell her, or else there would be more restrictions!

The cake sharing is one thing, but i am also worried for too many random ppl turning up.

Eg, the kids are very close w the neighbours’ kids in grandma’s block so grandma will definitely invite them.

End up, im afraid the whole place will be crowded with lots of ppl.

Mrslong: exactly! By 2nd bd, maybe she will be in school le and I can always do a bd celebration for her in school. So family side can have another small party, with many cousins I also wont mind. I just hope they will forget about this idea..! hope no one asks about it during the next family gathering.

SK: when there are other cousins in the family of the kids range age, cfm will kena one... like my BB sure will clash with my HB's sisters' kids... but i am still fine with the elder sister kids as they are very chin chai ppl too... especially comes to party etc. but the 2nd sister ones ah... cfm will not come near to me as I am not the easy fishy to get push around she only can push my HB (his little bro ma) but my HB know what I will reply him...

but SK what u saying happens all in my very own aunties n cousins... lolx! they are mentioned their bday party are purely their mummies KAPO times! hahaha ! so usually they disappear or only appear for the bday cake cutting then off they disappear... hahaha!

Supergal: It doesn't include delivery. Delivery is $15 per destination. Then you have to provide your own figurines or cake toppers.

How come yours dun include figurines? Mine is inclusive.. I even double confirm w them twice via phone & email. She said about 10 figures somemore.

So I hope it’s not a mistake!

Sweetkiss: I did ask them specifically about figurines lei.. in their quotation to me it is written that "Do take note that Winnie the pooh figurines are provided by Customers". Would they misinterpret as you can put as many as 10 figurines on the cake? Did they write in their quotation to you that Hello Kitty Figurines will be provided by Pine Garden? If yes, then you have nothing to worry about.

Ann, yup this is wad they replied to me:

"As spoken on the phone previously, you mentioned that the price includes about 10 Hello Kitty figurines on the cake. Please confirm."

Reply: yes, Hello Kitty standard toppers is inclusive.

i paranoid, sent again to clarify. hahaha

Sweetkiss: If stated then should have ba. I think Hello Kitty figurines are easier to get than the Winnie the pooh ones. I think those that are provided by them also cheaper kind one. I have checked the pricing of the cake topper on the cake which I chose. It cost about $15 to $17. The balloon bouquet cost about $3.90 per bouquet. So I dun think PG will provide me with the figurines.

Ann: that's super ex. if i recall correctly, there's a shop in raffles xchange selling cake toppers. it's a toy shop. maybe u can check it out. i ever went with my colleague and she bought a set of carebears one. i think 8 for $20 or something like that.

Pine Garden-Winnie the Pooh Cake

For PG, they really do not provide Winnie the Pooh figurine/cake toppers for the cakes. They mentioned that it is due to copyrights constraints. I guess it's probably because Winnie the Pooh is a Disney character. If you want to engage PG for the cake, you would need to buy the cake topper and any other figurines yourself and bring it down to the shop at AMK. As Ann mentioned, cake topper of the size shown in the picture that she posted above is around $15-20 or if not more ex. FYI, cupcakedivinity will provide the cake topper for most of their designs unless it is OOS or was previously provided by the buyer.

Estimated Cost = (Weight of cake x Price per kg) + (Artistic Labour Charge, varies based on complexity) + (Delivery $15/$25 for Tuas area, if required)

The artistic labour charge is usually around $25.

Price of cake/kg ranges from $32 for general cake (vanilla, choc), $33 for midrange cake (e.g. black forest, tiramisu), $36 for premier (e.g. durian, lychee martini) and $31-68 for special creations (e.g. lava flow, birdnest).

Irene: But doesn't Hello Kitty also have copyrights constraints? It's under Sanrio. I think it is just an excuse. I think the price of the figurines is the reason. I have seen those hello kitty figurines used on the cake... outside I think less than $5 can buy 8 or 10 pcs.

Carol0425: My friend has one. But she regretted buying it cause she hardly use it. For me, I rather go for the service instead of buying machine and do on my own. I am very lazy one. Haha!!

Ann: Yah I agree with you but that's the "politically correct" reply from PG loh. Anyway I ordered from cupcakedivnity cos too lazy and troublesome for me to buy the cake topper and bring all the way to AMK. And after calculating the cake topper cost, cupcakedivinity's price and PG's price are quite comparable.

I went to United Square yesterday for the magazine Today's Parents photoshoot. A simple booth is set up there and I get a magazine, SebaMed samples and photos for free.

Sun_tan:

if i'm not wrong, it the same one i have taken at harbour front. It free, it a contest, just fill in the form, they will take a photo of u or together with the bb, then they will give a photo of what they took.

If u have my facebook, u can see.

good morning mummies... did anyone bring your babies to gogobambini yesterday?

Wanted to go but was alone with baby and I have no confidence to tackle my baby alone on a forseen weekend crowd... brought my baby to my parents place instead...

Past two days were so so so so hot and humid so irritable... so hot that I suggested to hubby to baby K for a swim last late afternoon. Good choice, baby K was so happy in the pool, kept moving her legs and hands and giggled so loudly in the her neck float...should have recorded it...sigh..

claudia, bindi and I were at fidgets on Friday afternoon! wah the place is huge, good place for gathering for mummies with babies...

Will be on leave from 11th May till 20th May, will be home alone with baby K in the day time... i'm looking forward to gogobambini and swim dates on some of the afternoons, anybody joining me?

Cheese, sorry to hear abt bb J still having cough.. My bb was having bad cough last month too.. Went to Mt A 25 hr clinic n was given mild cough syrup n prospan.. But the cough gets worse n she is vomiting her food n milk when she coughs to clear her throat phlegm.. Her cry also changes, voice also change.. So scare n brought her to see Dr Terrance Tan. He is specialized in upper respiratory.. He checks n says my gal's phlegm reach the main airway, 大气管 n going to lungs soon. So given medicine to open airway, clear phlegm n cough.. After 1 week, the cough is better n slowly it goes away..

If bb J has phlegm, good to see doc coz my gal's phlegm gets worse within 1-2days.. If u need Dr Terrance Tan kinderclinic callback number, pm me..

Hope bb J get well soon.. U take care!

MVH, I pm-ed you.

Hai, he left 3 packet chinese medicine, seems better at least not coughing every single min.

But today,he cough a few times again.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Im really down already.. not so well, but still have to go work, really very down now..

Been to 5th doc and not get better? I think i should consult another doc and stick to one.. since Dr Tan is very famous

and good, I really wanna bring him go~ Hope everything will be fine... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Casual Playdate at the WEST on 21 May Sat (Irene's house)

Dear Mommies, I am opening up my place for a casual playdate. Details as follow. If interested please add your name to the list. Just bring yourself & baby will do =)

Venue – Jurong West Central 1 (10-15 min walk from Boon Lay MRT)

Date – 21st May, Saturday

Time – 12noon onwards

1. Michelle

2. Pris

3. Geri

4. Lynn

5. Marie

6. Iris

7. Phy

8. Suntan (Jacelyn)

9. charliebrown

10. Jaclyn

11. Quartzie (Janice)

Daddy sean...how many guests u r inviting? why u thot of swensons?and your guests are mainly children or adults? think most of the mummies here rented chalets for their babies 1st birthday

eliss- i am expecting more of adult than bb..probably less than 10 kids in total...i did thought of chalet..but just find logistic wise quite troublesome...

Good morning, mummies.

How was Mother's Day for you yesterday? I am still down with runny nose and cough with phlegm. Baby K is recovering but still coughing with phlegm once in a while.

Suprisingly, he slept from 10pm last night till this morning 7am. When he woke up, he got up from his cot slowly and take a peek at me to see if I am awake. When he saw me looking at him, he smiled. Haha!! Cheeky boy.

Last night, I told hubby that I finally understand why pple always say everyday is Mother's Day cause I feel the same way too. I did the same things yesterday which I will do everyday. Cook, Clean, Bathe kayden, play with him, put him to sleep, slave around the house. Haha!!

Sean: For me, I get my cousin to help me book her condo function room. Easier for me. Then can bring bb swimming and sleep at her house before the party. Haha!! I am doing party from 5.30pm to 8pm. This is the period of time which he is awake and most imptly cooling on the weather.

Ann, thks. actually have u tried pg's cake before? i went to buy their lychee martini to try yesterday. my sis thought is was so so n d cake a bit dry. wat u think?

Cheese, my boy was admitted before for bronchiolitis before... He was wheezing and had phelgm too... nurses asked us to keep patting his back whenever we can to help dislodge the phelgm. So maybe you can try this to help ease his discomfort?

Ann, you are spot-op! Yesterday was like any other weekend for me too! Just that had to avoid the crowded places for dinner.

Justina, I find PG's sponge cake quite soft... IMO, their blackforest cake is nicer than lychee martini, unless you prefer a change from blackforest. I like the Eatzi Bakery blackforest cake too - coz it has yummy choc mousse layers inside and I am a choc fan!

Justina: Their cake is not bad, for the price that we are paying. I ordered my wedding cake for banquet dinner from them. Lychee martini. My guests who took back the cakes, say very nice. When ordering the wedding cake, I even went to their office to sample their cake flavours and discuss out the design with them. Not sure if they will allow you to sample cake for baby's first birthday. Hehe!!

bdmummy: Ya lo.. alot of pple yesterday. I went to NEX to celebrate my furkids' bday. Waited quite awhile for parking lots.

Hi morn mummies. Had a lonely mother's day alone with baby since hubby still overseas. Anyway, I moved back to my mum's to stay during weekdays & realized we just can't stay together. She kinda jeopardize the way I look after my gal. From 830pm her bedtime became 1030pm. From first feed at 8am became 6am. My mum says I am starving her but I've been giving her last feed at 11pm which lasts till 8am since the time she started to sleep through the night. Worse, my mum gave a stunt to feed my gal pieces of meat from her kway tiao soup which she forgot she put chilli padi in. My poor gal criedfor 10 min, whole face red & whole head sweating. She got phobia & refused to drink water or anything else while crying. Just mad angry & instead of apologizing, she still said my gal is smart, know how to cry and reject spicy food. And many more other stunts she came out with.. I really had enough but for the sake of convenience, I'm not moving back till weekends. Gotta bear with it!

By the way, just to share.. i found a way to make my gal have fruits in her diet.

Went to google for some recipes and one of it was pear+chicken porridge. U can top it with ikan bilis powder.

My girl was able to accept the taste (dun put too much pears else it will be too sweet & weird) and she willing to eat all the chopped pears.

That very night, she poo smooth stools.

Ann,ya. i agreed that the price is alright comparing to d strictly pastry. maybe ordering from them too. but some of d design, the cake topper is not inclusive. a bit troublesome

hi mommies,

just wanna check with you gals do you prefer cream based or fondant based cakes huh?

i'm likely to go ahead with cupcake divinity but can't decide on the cream or fondant..

is fondant really very sweet??

supergal: Fondant is very sweet. Fondant is made of sugar. Actually no one eat fondant unless maybe kids or adults who really really have a sweet tooth.

Hi supergal.. yes fondant is really sweet, just like dough made of sugar. But fondant cakes are very, very pretty.

Once the cake is sliced, the fondant layer can be removed easily. Can choose not to eat it.

Most impt is the taste of the cake inside but those home bakers I found, mostly only provide standard chocolate or vanilla sponge cakes.

thanks for sharing Ann!

Cos i have quite a no. of elderly for my son's birthday party...and i guess elderly also don't like too much cream in their cake..so in a dilemma on what type to choose from...

fondant gives a better overall finish right? but nice to see though not too nice to eat..hehehe!

btw, the winnie the pooh cake that you're going to order from Pine Garden is cream based one rite?

Supergal, I've ordered both fondant & cream from cupcake divinity. Found both very sweet. But I prefer the fondant, looks prettier. If you don't want to eat, can peel off the fondant.

hi Sweetkiss, thanks for sharing also!!!

yeah, i agree 100% with you that fondant cakes are v v v pretty! hehehe

but the husband is more practical la..said nice to see but not nice to eat..defeats the purpose liao...haiz...

babycoco, is it?? even the cream also very sweet ah? hmmmm...actually i chose a cream based design from their samples..now asking them for quote on the same design but do it in fondant based...

fondant based usually slightly more expensive hor

Supergal.. ya.. initially I also feel the same way. But nice cakes will serve their purpose by looking great in photos!

But actually, birthday cakes generally taste the same dun they?

Ive nv tasted a bd cake so bad I wanna throw away before finishing…

Back