WHAT To Eat & Not Eat When Pregnant?

Hi ! anyone know since we cannt eat pineapple .. but can we eat pineapple tart which is like pineapple alrdy cooked ?

hi nahnah,

I choose not to eat even though they are cooked. I do eat Hawaiin pizza but I remove the pineapple. Better be safe than sorry, just my thought.
happy.gif

hi ladies,

I noticed some of you avoid Milo. Why is it so? I have been drinking milo since I try to reduce on caffeine intake.

pls advise....
my chinese sensei say avoid milo too. since it contain malt.. malt will affect our milk output.. so just drink less or avoid too..

Well, I think this is an outdated thread, as the person posted it in 2012, so must have given birth already, but still someone replied just now.

Anyway, just some info. from my previous TCM sinseh in Marine Parade:

Fruits that we should not eat during the first trimester:

- star fruit
- pineapple
- water melon
- mango
- grass jelly
- strawberry
- coconut water

Drinks to avoid during the first trimester:

- iced lemon tea
- iced milk tea
- iced coffee
- ice cream (can only take after the first trimester)
Best to take warm water during pregnancy

Soups that we should not take

- dang gui (only take it after birth)
- si wu chicken soup
- bah gueh teh (as some of it are prepared with Chinese herbal)
- chicken cooked with herbs
- huang di chicken
- soup from halal chicken (Indian) rice
- duck soup
- fo tiao qiang (chicken delicacy and expensive soup)
- pork trotter vinegar
- ginseng (take after the first trimester)
- birds nest (take after the first trimester)
- cordyceps (take after the first trimester)
Any other kind of soup that comes with herbal

Also remember do not take any cooling stuff such as liang cha except those from tcm medical halls and also almond tea dessert.

hi all, not confirmed pregnant yet, in 2ww now. but trying to learn. During first trimester, can eat these?
- Tofu, the white silken kind
- White fungus, boil with chicken and button mushroom
- Watercress, in pork rib soup
- Pumpkin
- Lotus root, in pork rib soup
- Nasi briyani, with mutton
- Lamb chop, western style

I agree homecooked food is best, but sometimes quite sian, cos' I'm the only one doing all the cooking :) TIA!

Last edited:
hi all, not confirmed pregnant yet, in 2ww now. but trying to learn. During first trimester, can eat these?
- Tofu, the white silken kind
- White fungus, boil with chicken and button mushroom
- Watercress, in pork rib soup
- Lotus root, in pork rib soup
- Nasi briyani, with mutton
- Lamb chop, western style

I agree homecooked food is best, but sometimes quite sian, cos' I'm the only one doing all the cooking :) TIA!

I think, shld not be a problem eating anything throughout the whole pregnancy. The keyword is, take everything in moderation. Its good to avoid raw food, but I dont see any harm if u consume a small amount of sashimi or even mayo during pregnancy. Just don't over do it.

And also, during first trimester, not everything u eat can stay in your throat for long. Sometimes, it will come all out before even 'meeting' the throat. Just eat whatever u can eat during the first trimester as u need the energy, even if it means junk food. (Not the best advise tho but sometimes nothing really stay in. So just eat whatever)

During 2nd trimester when most of the things stabilise, that's the best time to eat more healthily.

Good luck!

I'm with kkh, and they prescribed some folic acid. I'm also on my own prenatal supplement for omega, dha/epa.

I'm thinking of taking BlackMore's Pregnancy Gold, but it already contained folic acid. Should I consult the doctor first before taking blackmore?
I"m not stopping the folic acid yet. thanks.

I'm with kkh, and they prescribed some folic acid. I'm also on my own prenatal supplement for omega, dha/epa.

I'm thinking of taking BlackMore's Pregnancy Gold, but it already contained folic acid. Should I consult the doctor first before taking blackmore?
I"m not stopping the folic acid yet. thanks.

Yes, you should consult your dr first. I'm taking pre-natals also but my dr said the folic acid for my pre-natal is only 800mcg so she supplemented me with another 500mcg.

Hi all..
In week 7 now, any food or fruits to avoid? Clueless..
What about laksa,coconut milk, chrysanthemum tea..?

I have fibroids, any idea how to reduce the size? Thanks...

Hi zaizai19,

In case you do not see my posts above, I am repeating what my tcm in marine parade told me.

Fruits that we should not eat during the first trimester:

- Star fruit
- Pineapple
- Water melon
- Mango
- Grass jelly
- Strawberry
- Coconut water (anything coconut related)
- Desserts such as almond tea, and pang da hai etc

Don't take the following drinks now:

- Iced lemon tea
- Iced milk tea
- Iced coffee
- Ice cream (can take only after the first trimester)

The tea that you mentioned, I think that it is very liang, so you should not take also for now.

Soups that we should not take during the first trimester:

- dang gui (take only after delivery of bb)
- black herbal bitter chicken soup
- ma gueh teh (especially those with Chinese herbal)
- herbal chicken
- huang di chicken
- soup from halal chicken rice
- duck soup
- fou tiao qiang (chinese delicacy and expensive soup)
- pork trotter vinegar
- ginseng (take only after first trimester)
- bird's nest (take only after first trimester)
- cordyceps (take only after first trimester)
Any soups that comes with herbs is a no-no too.

My gynae's nurse added the following things to my lists:

Vegetables to avoid during the first trimester:

- Korean kamchi
- bean curd (?)
- bean sprouts
- bitter gourd
- black fungus

Also do not take anything raw for this first trimester such as sashimi or sushi.

My first tcm advised me to start taking homemade chicken essence (brewed chicken breast soup (goggle on the Internet and the recipe should come out) every day, until can see the baby's heartbeat. Then after that, drink the soup only every 2 to 3 days. This is supposingly to boost your hcg levels. However, in your case, as you are not seeing chinese doctor, not sure if you want to follow this step or not. It is entirely up to you. :)

As to how to reduce the size of your fibroids, I really have no clue, just know that it grows together with your baby, so it is quite dangerous. So perhaps can go tcm to seek for further treatment and advice. If you want, I can recommend you the tcm I am seeing in North Bridge Road now. If you are not tcm believer, then you just have to monitor your fibroids. I remembered the marine parade tcm mentioned that one of his patients got fibroids and conceived twin girls, and the fibroids grew to a very dangerous size, that they have to be removed through surgery while the twins were 5 months old.

what to eat when pregnant? and what not to eat?

Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy

Raw meat
: Under cooked beef or poultry, uncooked sea food, should be avoided because they are one of the biggest causes of toxoplasmosis and salmonella.

Fish with mercury: Brain damage and development delays are linked with mercury consumed during pregnancy. Therefore, fish that contains high level of mercury like shark, tile-fish, king mackerel and swordfish should be avoided when it comes to food to avoid during pregnancy.

Deli meat: Listeria which has the ability to cross the placenta and affect your baby is a contamination present in deli meats.

Smoked seafood: Refrigerated Smoked seafood labelled as nova style, kippered, lox should be among the foods to avoid during pregnancy as it contaminated with listeria.

You can check the complete article.
And also for what to eat when pregnant?

hello is this thread still active?

can i check those in foodcourt or hawker centre that serve fried fish bee hon or the slice fish soup. what sort of fish is that? mackeral? what the name in chinse? does those fish contain high level of mercury and cant eat often?
spanish mackerel (batang)

Back