What happens if employer asks me to leave b4 maternity?

Happymummy22

Hey mummies, I came across this story and was wondering if it is still illegal if employer asks a mummy to leave before she goes on maternity.

In employment act, it is only prohibited if the employee is asked to leave whilst being on maternity leave. Should the statutory law provide protection for the "window" gap before she goes on maternity so employers cannot take advantage of the loophole? Can turn to union for assistance?

http://www.fivestarsandamoon.com/your-letters-my-friend-terminated-from-job-for-being-pregnant/

Story:

The following letter came from Lee, 29, administrator

Dear editor,

I have read several worker’s related articles on your site and thought I’d thought I would seek your opinion on what my friend can do. I have a friend who is 28 years old and about to go on her maternity leave soon. What happened was, her boss called up her colleague to suggest that she leave the company as there wasn’t a lot more that she can contribute at work.

The pitiful thing is, she used up all 60 days hospitalization leave due to complication of the pregnancy, was on unpaid hospitalization leave when the boss (called up her colleague to) ask her to resign.

I want to ask a few things:

a.) Can a company ask a worker to leave because she’s about to go on maternity leave?

b.) If it is illegal, surely the company will “terminate” you with other reasons (no use for you, no money to pay you, poor performance etc) what then?

c.) Apart from MOM, what other organisations can she go to for assistance?

Sincerely, Lee

Our reply:

Dear Lee,

Firstly, this isn’t legal advice. But to very quickly answer your questions:

a.) No, the company cannot ask a woman going on maternity leave, to leave. Doing so is a statutory offence and you can raise this directly to the Ministry of Manpower.

b.) Now if there really has been exceptional financial problems the company is facing, or if your friend actually was ill disciplined, then well… it is a very tough negotiation. Which brings me to the next point:

c.) Where there are clear offences, go directly to MOM. They will deal with the company. But where the offence is not as clear… then you will do better asking a union for assistance. Unions are employee centric labour-rights forces that have soft power in negotiations in a company. However, they only have power if a company is unionised. Tell your friend to ask her colleagues. Besides the negotiations, she can ask for legal advice and if she really had financial problems, the unions can help to mitigate.

I hope this would be helpful.

Sincerely, Tay Leong Tan

Eligibility under the Child Development Co-Savings Act The Child Development Co-Savings Act covers parents of Singapore Citizen children, including managerial, executive and confidential staff.
Under the Child Development Co-Savings Act, an employee is entitled to maternity leave benefits if:
The child is a Singapore Citizen;
The child's parents are lawfully married; and
The employee has served her employer for at least 3 months before the child's birth

Basically, the employee will be entitled to maternity leave benefits after working in the company for more than 3 months

Please contact MOM and Tripartite, google online for the contact number. Be it whether you are a Singaporean or not, as long as you've worked with company for 3 months you will entitle to your maternity leave. And employer cannot ask you to leave or dismissed you without a valid reason like misconduct (with valid evidence). Tripartite and MOM will able to advise you further.

Back