What Food/vitamins that can eat during pregnancy

mavis_tan

I have totally forgotten wad can or can't eat. And my mil keep saying can't eat this can't eat that. Feeling so sick. Hope someone can'advise me.

Hi, Mavis

The general ones are avoid bird nest in first trimester, also avoid cool herbal drinks, and begs that a re cooling like cucumber ( best to avoid ) winter melon ( winter melon soup occasional is oki ).

Chinese herbal soup depends, better ask the Chinese medical hall to prepare the herbal ingredients pack especially for pregnant cooking.

I am currently just got over the 1st trim, also totally avoid Chinese herbal soups, will start drinking in mid of 2nd trimester.

I do not have good appetite during my 1st trimester, totAlly can't eat right, and couldn't drink plain water too, although I didn't suffered from morning sickness. Hungry but just couldn't eat smell anything just turned me off.

But try to eat in small amount for your sake and for Baby's sake too. Keep biscuits with u, they come handy for me when I feel hungry in the middle of the night, and they are suppose to curb down morning sickness too if u take them first thing in the morning, tried it out I can't guarantee it works for everyone, but worth.

Drink more milk , soy bean milk or vanilla milk.

Try eating more whole grain bread as well for morning breakfast with cheddar cheese and fried egg, pregnant woman needs all this 3 combinations. Whole grain, calcium and protein.

Coffee avoid, tea I started drinking at the very end of 1st trim every other day. I'm a heavy coffee and tea drinker, so had a tough time in first trimester.

I love spicy foods, during the 1st trim, I couldn't eat well, except spicy foods, but my husband and In laws j
Keep reminding me and warned me not to take too spicy else Baby will have bad skin bad temper, but another reason not to eat too spicy bcos it's acidic and may cause contsipation. So I am eating moderate, like at least 1-2 times in 7 days, else I am really having no appetite to eat.

Now I am 14 weeks plus, and appetite is slowing coming back.

Try some sour plums or sweet plums, I am one who never take such things in my life, never take preservatives tibits, but my gal friend surprised me with a few packs of different kinds and I finished them all in a week plus, And improved my mood, thought appetite may not really help, but it really divert the attention from mood less. try out too.

Try not to take hot tub bath ( heat is not good for baby brain development) shower is best.

But some gal friends of mine, took the chinese herbal ginseng soup in their 1st trimester, but I avoided. So it is good to ask your gynae or the chinese medical hall for advise, as I am a avoiding as I do not have a strong body to with hold as I am having my first pregnancy at an older age, so I avoided.

Hope the information help you for a start.

Best Regards,
Angie

Daily vitamin folic acid with DHA,, DHA help support fetal brain & eye development.

Those multi- vitamins that aha all vitamins in all raw good roo, if u are taking the muti vitamins that consist of folic acid then don't take separately again , do not exceed the doctor recommend dosage.

Ask your gynae door the vitamins or go to pharmacies counter for Advices they will know too.

Wah... That's lots of information. Thanks Angeline.
Actually I don't really have morning sickness as I'm in my 1st trimester. But I dun have any good appetite too. I love spicy food and keep craving for them. But like u say they make us have constipation which is suffering, so I try to control abit. Ask for sour plums they will make me feel like puking. So I will nv touch. Ya forcing myself to have daily meals.

Hello Mavis,

Morning sickness can be curb by those dry biscuits,

drink more water to prevent edema (swollen foot)

your Folic acid

your doctor's prescribe multi vitamins, if you are taking iron, take it before you have any dairy stuff such as calcium or milk ( min 2 hrs apart) because both will neutralize each other

no Raw meats (Salmonella ) , no uncooked vegetables - because of E coli

no shark fin, tuna and those fish without Scales -- because of traces of mecury can be found. that's why my doc do not recommend fish oil because you are not sure of the origins and how it was made.. so just do not take the risk.. you still can get your omega from eggs and walnuts.. DHA from those mummies' milk..

I could not take spicy food either, because of heartburn.. but it goes away in my 3rd Tri.

Oh dear! I took salads and i love them! esp Saladstop Chill crab salad.

I do take DHA, multi Vit, folic acid (first trimster) and calcuim. Good to drink more milk, take beef (increase of red blood cells and many says it's good for foetus development), more vegetables of different colours (avoid too much of carrots, papaya and tomato). Big NoNO to anything that's raw, esp sashimi.

During the last 2 months, you may take old coconut. Not the canned one but the real coconut.

My gynae advised me not to take ginseng during pregnancy as there's scientic proven that it's bad for foetus development.

What ever your ask the gynae, they will always say moderate.

I hear ginseng promotes blood circulation and that can be fatal when giving birth ie losing blood, so best is totally dun touch.

1st trim dun take any tonic and do anything extra, it can backfire. Foetus development most critical in at this stage thus generally try to be normal and dun overdo things.

Throughout pregnancy avoid alcohol, raw food like sashimi and even half-boil eggs (I miss my toast bf). Uncook eggs are harmful and be aware tiramisu is made of uncooked egg white (tried out recipe last time). I'm abstaining from raw veggies so I'm missing my salads as well (my subway sandwich only has bread, cheese n the main fish lol). Heard stuff like ham, hotdog n luncheon meat are no gd also, v processed food.

I totally avoid coffee although I used to drink kopi peng 1st thing in the morning last time... Tea also avoid but do note that crysanthemum n winter melon 'tea' are safe as they do not have tea extracts like green tea, lemon tea and peach tea etc which contains caffeine. Good to drink juices like cranberry to prevent UTI and Yakult to aid in digestion.
happy.gif

Best to eat everything in moderation and don't overdose supplements/tonics. Really depends on your body. I'm the kind to fall ill after drinking tonic 'cos body can't take it.

Many experience loss of apetite or aversion towards certain foods so just take in whatever's wholesome and palatable to you. I was totally anti-fish, then anti-chicken for a while. Sometimes not eating food because the smell of food made me sick towards the 3rd trimester. Was constipated too so ate more fruits. I didn't restrict my diet at all. Ate like normal and everything was fine.

What i earned from the dietician is that theres little calcium in soy drinks like those home made ones and from shops outside. Best to buy in upermrket which is fortiied with calcium.

Back