very little breast milk

Double wow for waking up at 3am to pump and can still go to work ! I nearly felt like passing out and sleeping at my desk many times just feeding my dd and I didn't pump !

hi aria jo,
rili salute u ley.. very disciplined.. n hey tats lotsa water.. now just waiting for clearance for me to bring pump to work..

hi mommies,

been reading thr the thread. my gal is now 4 wks old and im feeding her 60ml every 2 hrly but not sure enough anot.

i pump out every 3hrly but my supply is only 60 to 80ml max per pump. i tried latching her on but its very very tiring. she dozed off during feed and i have to feed her almost hourly. im very worried that i will not have enough ss for her as i expect her to increase her feed soon.

can someone tell me wat is this milk plus thingy? and also eat wat fish can increase ss?

i am TBFing now cos she cried very badly when i give her formula. But been playing catch up all the time with my expressed ss.

Sheryl, latch on directly really help a lot to increase supply. I did it for 2 weeks plus just latch. I only pump once in the morning. For the first month, I was feeding partial too. Cos supply about the same like you and due to jaundice, I gave him 2 feed of FM. After my confinement, I eat fish almost everyday, drink a lot of water, about 4 litres per day. Now I can TBF my boy already. He is now 7 weeks old.

Latch on can be tiring but it is really worth it when you see the supply increase. Now I can pump more than when I was bf my 2nd child.

hi Maureen,

check with you, when i let my gal latch on while she's awake, she will suckle for an hour. But when she is sleepy, she will suckle for 20min and dozed off and i cant wake her up until like half an hour. Is that very normal?

Sheryl,
b4 she dozed off, you can do the following;
tap her chin/cheek
hold her palm & massage/play
"push up & let-go" your breast a little to move your breast

If she can't wake up, try opening her diaper.
HTHs.
happy.gif

Hi jo n mommies,
Thks 4 t reply. As baby on bottle n pacifier, baby does not want 2 latch on anymore. So, dissappointing :-( I suppose hv 2 keep pumping n supplement w FM. Does mensus causes low supply?

Sheryl, it is very common. My baby will latch on for about 10 mins then fall asleep and unlatch when I put him on the bed he wake up again. Baby tends to fall asleep when latch on cos they are comfortable being carried. If she is full already, she won't be crying when you put her on the bed.

Sometime the flow is slow that why they took longer time to drink. As grow older they took shorter time.

For my baby, no matter how I tickler him he won't wake up. That why at the beginning I have to give him 2 feed of FM due to jaundice. Bottle feed he will open his mouth. Ya I found that open the diaper is good. Sure wake up.

Hi all,,
Does anybody know hw to increase the milk flow? I have just delivered to my baby girl 2 weeks ago, but my milk flow is only 20ml each pump, now my girl drink 90ml, really very desperate and depressed. I have bought the fenugreek, motherlove goat roe, and oso the metoclopramide prescribe by my GP, all no use....i often let my girl to latch on, I also do pumping out the milk, but still very low...anybody can help?

Susan,
do you pump 20 ml after you have latched on ur girl or before? Could it be you are taking too many supplements at one time? I also took fenugreek, mother's milk plus, metoclopramide, mother's milk tea, but milk didn't increase much. For me, pumping after latching is still the best method.

Just to share, I also had little milk at 2 weeks. My girl was hospitalised for jaundice for a few days and was given mostly formula, cos I couldn't pump enough milk. When she came back home, she refused to latch on, since so shiok drink from a bottle. I was so depressed and felt rejected. I had to call an LC to my house to teach her (and me) to latch on again. LC told me to stop formula, just latch her, then pump after every feed. She also taught me how to massage the baby to wake her up, when she falls asleep after 10 minutes of drinking. I did all this and took 3 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day and my milk gradually increased. Now my dd 12 mths, I am still tbf.

Don't give up, you can do it too.

Susan, as what Misha advised, try to latch on whether she is awake for me. Pump when baby is sleeping. How long do you take to pump for each session? I did for 2-3 weeks keep on latching and the supply did increase. I am also taking fenugreek 2 capsules 3 times a day. You must drink a lot longan and red dates now since you are still on confinement and eat. Don't go on diet. Lack of fluid or not much food intake will cause low supply. Eat more fish and drink more hot soup.

haystack,genny & MTB,
thank you
happy.gif
yeah, now my hubby also salute me for being so determine.. i once quarelled with him when baby was crying so badly cos i was making her to take the nipple for abt 15 mins...i retorted back, i will show you result!! i told him many times that i have to let baby latch because that's the easiest way to increase milk. but his mentality is to take the easieast way out. now he appreaciat that he doesn't have to wake up in the middle of the night to feed baby.

sheryl,
yes, it's very very common that BB falls asleep when nursing. in my initial BF journey, my baby can really suckle for 1 hour.. i just let her be and take the opportunity to stimulate my breast to produce more milk. now, it's either she is efficient at nursing or my breast has very good let down that her nursing time is only half hour. sometimes, 10 mins my breast will be 90% empty liao. so, dun worry if your baby suckle for an hour.. as long as your nipple is not sore or cracked, just let her be..

susan,
don't be stress. meanwhile just supplement her with FM. The more you're stress, the more your body will not generate milk. work on emptying your breast at a regular intervals if possible or latching her as frequent as you can..

kim,
i encountered that too. at one point, my baby suddenly refuse my nipple!!! i was so sad and felt rejected...i even quarelled with my hubby because he felt that i was forcing my girl to latch on. i told him i have to make her take my nipple back if not i will never be able to TBF her. actually, at that time, i was still partially BF her.. what i did is, i make some FM and let her suck for 30 seconds, after that quickly take out the bottle and switch her to my breast. suprisingly she didn't really notice the difference and happily suck all the way.you might want to try this? well, i have to waste the FM but no choice lah, that's the only way out then. I did this for abt 1 week and after that, she never rejects my breast anymore... later on, she even rejects the bottle! that's another big hurdle to overcome. my breastfeeding journey was a tough one but i persevere..i hope my girl will not give me any more suprises!

Thanks for all your advise. I try to let her latch on as many times as possible. After latch on, I will feel my breast is soft, there i know that she has empty my breast. Mayb I drink not enough water, coz I only drink 2 bottles of water plus 3 cups of longan water each day. And oso mayb due to taking too much supplement, but when i see my girl has been drinking too much FM, I feel that I am a useless mother. Not be able to BF her. Usually after latch on, I will go drink a lot of water, wait for half an hour, I will pump out, after pumping out, the nxt feed, i will latch on again, I ususally do alternate. I cant do pump aft latch on, coz my nipple is quite pain, i apply the sore cream. Really lost, my friends and husband encourage me not to give up, its juz 2 weeks anyway. Get sometimes, but its quite a low morale, i cant feed her well....sigh

hi susan yuen

dun give up.... i still try to TBF my no.2 but my milk hasnt kicked in on the 4th day !!!!

cant imagine y it like that... as i got lot of MS when i did for no.1 but now.. feel discouraging
as the MS came in very slowly and very little

hi everyone, my bb is currently 5 weeks old n mostly i m feeding her bm thru bottle. out of 6 feeds, she is bottle fed bm 5 times n fm once (if i can pump out enough). I m currently trying to increase my ss. pls advice if this is appropriate?

Hi guyz,
I must share with you a secret which Koreans use to increase breastmilk => seaweed. I have been taking seaweed since confinement and still taking it. My baby is now 6.5kg at <3mts old. My breastmilk goes low if I don't eat seaweed for 2 days.

Many websites will tell you that seaweed is good for you. Here is one of them:

"One of the best green allies for women in their fertile years is seaweed, both for its mineral richness, and for the special substances it contains which directly counter birth defects. Algin or alginic acid, found in many seaweeds, absorbs radioactive neucleotides and heavy metals. When eaten by the prospective mother and father, seaweed protects them from cancer and protects the fetus from faulty genes. Seaweeds also protect the fetus and parents from the harmful effects of chemicals and carcinogens.

Seaweed is one of the most nutritious plants known. Earl Mindell, in his book Vitamin Bible notes that kelp contains vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as choline, carotenes, and 23 minerals including calcium, selenium, iron, magnesium, and zinc. He recommends it especially for nourishing the brain, spinal cord, and nerves of the fetus. Eating seaweeds regularly improves the fertility and the health of the pregnant woman, too, strengthening her digestive system, increasing her overall energy, and helping to prevent constipation, muscle cramps, backaches, anemias, hemorrhoids, and depression. For healthy skin, hair, and bones, there is no better food or herb than seaweed."

Here is what you can do. Go to a Korean supermarket, get a large pack of seaweed (for 60 people). Here is the recipe:
1. Soak a handful of seaweed in tap water for 10 minutes until it's soft. You may want to tear or cut it into smaller pieces so it's easier to eat.
2. Fry beef strips/slices with sesami oil. If you don't eat beef, leave it out (or replace with prawn). Squeeze out the water of the seaweed as add to the fry pan. Add 1~2 spoonful of fish sauce and/or some soya sauce. Taste up to you.
3.At the same time, boil 1 pot of water with a handful of anchovies. Boil for 15 minutes until the anchovies taste come out. Remove the anchovies.
4. Add #2 to #3 and boil for another 15 min in small fire. The longer you boil, the better it tastes.

Note:
- You can eat this everyday so make a big pot.
- Seaweed can be eaten raw as a cold dish.

Try it, and let me know if it works for you
happy.gif
1281156.jpg
1281157.jpg

I just found out yesterday that my bb is refusing to bf n she gets very frustrated as most of the time i m bottlefeeding her bm. So now, i hv to pump out n bottle feed her.

Does seaweed soup works better than the papaya soup?

Generally how long does one should pump? 20mins/ session?

hi jennifer,
i took abt 1 hr just to get a mere 30ml..
sad.gif
i think it depends on how much u have. if u have lots, then pumping a large amt shd be shorter... u know wat i mean?

Hi Mom to be

Can I know how old is your child? When I first express my milk, I get as little as 30 ml. Someone then told me that milk generation depends on demand &amp; supply. So, after a while, the milk that I express increase in volume as my baby grows. I practically pump two full bottles of milk in half an hour. Oh, another thing is, for my first child, the massage lady discover that my right nipple is block. I wear underwire bra which resulted in clump the milk. What she has done is to have it a thorough massage, ensuring there are no lumps.

I successfully breast feed my baby until he turns two years old and I am a working mother.

hi ernie

u TBF ur 1st kid till 2? u got ur second one after BF? or simultaneously? i'm now trying for a second one but dun wish to stop. wondering how to get pregnant.

Hi Haystack

I breastfeed by 2nd child until 2. My 1st one only until 4 mths than she rejects me. I found out that a breast feed mummy should not bottle feed their child. The bottle feeding must be done by others. Otherwise it creates confusion for the baby.

From books I read, you can get pregnant even though you are still BF. But do bear in mind that each pregnancy is different, with each and individual quirks. I applause your effort in trying to do simultaneously. Don't think I have the energy on top of working.

Hey Maureen,

I tried latching my gal since e last thread, not sure if supply increase but its real hard work. Now i pump out once once a day but i dunno how to gauge whether ss increase. Not so hardworking to pump out after every feed. Nipples very sore after latching her on for 2 days. Its really hard to breastfeed!!!

Btw, anyone got baby who doesnt sleep at night? My gal slept thr the day and doesnt sleep at night. And that is very tiring. I cant wake her up at all during day except for feed. And when she sleeps, she can tahan longer between feed. But at night, she cant sleep and gotta feed her almost hourly or bi-hourly. Very exhausted...

Oh... I got more questions.

When my gal is awake, her between feed is about 2 hours. When she sleeps, she can go as long as max. 4 hours. So, i was wondering, should i pump out my milk if she missed a feed? Cos every time when she missed the 2hr feed, i dunno should i wait or pump out. I scare after i pump out she will cry for feed then i got no milk.

Btw, i read fr another thread that pp use the Medela PIS breastpump. Is it really that good? I'm currently using Avent manual pump. My fren lent me Medela mini electric plus but the yield is less than my manual pump so i stopped using the electric one.

hi ernie,
my son is now 3mths n still cant tbf!!!! *sigh*

hi sheryl,
my son oso lyk tt.. but we train him.. when he woke up for feed in the day, we kept him awake by playing wif him b4 he dozed off so tt he'd tire himself n can sleep better at nite.. when he woke up at nite for feed and would like to play aft tt, usualli i'll get him to sleep on his side n tap him to sleep but must be fast la b4 he open his eyes big..

Sheryl, BM is very easy to get hungry so no worries. My baby also sometimes nurse 2 times within 1.5 hrs. Sometimes they are going through the growth spurt that why will always want to latch on at nite.

Just continued to latch on, you will see the increase of your supply.

hi everybody,
May i know, is it true that not all will have breastmilk?if for those who has little breastmilk, is it she will always get that little breastmilk?I have been latching and pumping and drink lots of water, my supply stil low, my mum told me that if i dun have milk, that means dont have liao, no need to keep trying??is it true??

Hey Maureen,

i've been latching her on... but my nipple cracks!!! just realised last nite when i was abt to feed her. then i was so stressed again... was it because i latch her on wrongly or is it normal to get cracked nipple?

Susan, sometimes it is really depends on what food do you take too. For me first child I didn't bf cos I lack of knowledge. Trying to let her latch on she keeps on crying so I thought I have no milk ended gave up. 2nd child, I bf him. Not really experience but I still latch on and pump 4 hrly. In the end everytime I get 100ml only and I still mananged to bf him and my first girl.

Now my 3rd child already 8 weeks old. Still bf. I let him latch on as frequent as I can. Pump out when he sleeps. Now at least I can pump out 4-5oz 3 hrly. What I do is also drinking plenty of water. I already kana twice sore throat just because I didn't drink enough water.

Sheryl, it is very common to have nipple cracks. Baby needs time to adjust on the latching on. Used your Breastmilk to apply before and after feed.

Susan, how much did you get for each session. And how many weeks is your baby now? When my baby is about 5-6 weeks, each time I can get 60 -80ml only.

hi everyone,

read that this 'more milk plus' is good in increasing bm. may i know where i can get this product?

i'm trying to increase my bm for my gal (a preemie). managed to tbf her for 1.5 mths but somehow ss dropped after i fell sick.

would like to try this 'more milk plus' but not sure where to get it.

Hi Maureen,
total for 2 breast for each pump is abt 20mls only. Thats y i get so nervous...everyday my girl demand is increase, but my milk flow still remain as 20mls, somemore my mum told me that if really dun have, then dont persistent aldy, have to let go, but i have been trying for breastfeed since day 1, really dont feel like giving up so easily.

Are you using Manual or motor pump? How regular do you pump? Do you let your baby latch on? Are you feeling very stress recently? THere are many reasons why the supply is low. My supply dropped when I went back to work. Brought Mandela PIS to work place everyday and pump about 2 times at work place. When I felt stress, supply was affected. Rest well and eat well. It helps.

I agreed with Sarahteddy. Once you got stress supply did drop. These few days me is also having menses supply has dropped too.

If baby is latching on or express 2-3 hrly for half an hour and drink alot of water or soup, supply should be able to go up. If not you can also try to take fenugreeks 3 times a day 2 capsules each.

haystack,

since no one replies to your question, I will do so.

Yes, supply will drop as your child approaches 1 YO. Why do u wan to increase supply now? Your child shld b getting his nutrients mainly from solids. Milk is just a supplement now
happy.gif

pardon me for intruding. stress is really unavoidable when esp bb is drinkin more than u can produce. I read from other forums that pumping at 3am, will increase supply, is it true?

thanks blueberries

i tot of continuing to feed my gal. but looking at it dropping, i oso have the thoughts of stopping. haha... mix feelings. :p

haystack,

u can still continue to feed, not enuff then either feed more solids or supplement w FM. My philosophy is a little bm is better than none
happy.gif
. When bb is after 1 YO, I usually will not look at the amt I express, I just make sure I empty my breasts.

hi blueberries,

I also have the same problem, my DS is 11 mths now and the ss seems dropping. Now i suppliment with FM at night. Day time he will drink ebm.

my boy is 7 weeks now, realise my ss decreases since his full month.

taking gnc feenugreek and motherlove more milk plus but dun seem to help

hubby said i am too impatient and too paranoid. he said if no bm then give fm lor, why stress?

any advices or remedies, dear mommies?

Back