Support for Gestational Diabetes Mummies~

Yes think will increase abit coz kept feeling hungry

How many weeks are u now?
Week 27 now. I noticed my morning readings not as good this few days. I only at two slices of multigrain bread n reading is 7. Previously I ate the same n reading still good. Sigh.
U are week what?

Do U girls follow strictly for three meals or occasionally still indulge?
For my #1 occasionally eat otherwise it maybe be quite miserable to control the food craving.
Dont worry nothing will happen 1.
After giving birth i test negative after 1mth.
Now having #2 yet to test yet expect the same

My cousin also got GD but she just continued to eat as she wanna be happy & she has plan for csec plus tie up for birth control.

For my #1 occasionally eat otherwise it maybe be quite miserable to control the food craving.
Dont worry nothing will happen 1.
After giving birth i test negative after 1mth.
Now having #2 yet to test yet expect the same

My cousin also got GD but she just continued to eat as she wanna be happy & she has plan for csec plus tie up for birth control.

Thanks for reply. I read horrer story if sugar level too high bb heart might stop beating. Is your ogtt reading high or just borderline?

Week 27 now. I noticed my morning readings not as good this few days. I only at two slices of multigrain bread n reading is 7. Previously I ate the same n reading still good. Sigh.
U are week what?
Bunny I am week 24.... Wld be doing c section, so telling myself to tahan another 13-14 weeks

I had some sushi and katsu pork for lunch and reading was 6.4.. Much higher than last night

Dinner I am just eating 2 slices of wholemeal bread with cheese and eggs...coz family is eating noodles

Do feel quite miserable...never have this issue with number 1

Bunny I am week 24.... Wld be doing c section, so telling myself to tahan another 13-14 weeks

I had some sushi and katsu pork for lunch and reading was 6.4.. Much higher than last night

Dinner I am just eating 2 slices of wholemeal bread with cheese and eggs...coz family is eating noodles

Do feel quite miserable...never have this issue with number 1

Ya especially we detected quite early so still long way to go. Sigh. Your lunch reading ok so can eat next time.

U are week what?

Eat your bread with lots of meat(protein) stuff and veggies. When you eat carbo with other nutrients the reading will be better.

Hi, I had gd when I pregnant w my number 1 in 2014. As ur pregnancy progress n ur hormone level changes, the readings will Aso change even u eat the same little amount of food as before. Feedback to ur dr if u are worry cos when readings gets too high or too Low will affect bb. I understand the frustration cos during back then every preggy mummy ard me enjoying food n yet I can't..anyway my gal Aso quite fussy if I have more or better food she made me pukes out all..

Hi, I had gd when I pregnant w my number 1 in 2014. As ur pregnancy progress n ur hormone level changes, the readings will Aso change even u eat the same little amount of food as before. Feedback to ur dr if u are worry cos when readings gets too high or too Low will affect bb. I understand the frustration cos during back then every preggy mummy ard me enjoying food n yet I can't..anyway my gal Aso quite fussy if I have more or better food she made me pukes out all..

Thanks for the advice. Is your ogtt level high that time? Did U test after every meal?

Just to share my lunch today. I didn't finish the rice n the cracker and am surprised reading is good at 5.8.
ImageUploadedByForum1459335613.054815.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Is your ogtt level high that time? Did U test after every meal?

My endocrine dr wants 3 days readings , prick 7 times , per week..
All 3 meals before n after 2hrs n one more before bedtime
I manage to keep my readings below 7/8 at all times n my gal is not too big or overweight. She was born at wk 38, 3kg..

My endocrine dr wants 3 days readings , prick 7 times , per week..
All 3 meals before n after 2hrs n one more before bedtime
I manage to keep my readings below 7/8 at all times n my gal is not too big or overweight. She was born at wk 38, 3kg..

That's good U managed to keep it under control. Did U follow strictly to the diet or occasionally indulge.

I do indulge once a while like a piece of butter cake or an ice cream. Like mayb once a week..lol
I know it's not easy but for the sake of bb growth inside u just have to Ren. Especially if u are going to do natural birth u Aso dun not want bb to b too big ..

Hu there everyone! New to the forum :) I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2010, and managed it with diet, weight loss and exercise, so naturally the KKH docs made me go for ODAC as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Which means I have been managing my diet for almost 18 weeks (at 24 weeks gestation now)!! :O

The hardest part I've found was how strict and sensitive I am now to carbs/sugar, despite initial blood test (ogtt?) at 5.1, I take the 7 x once weekly tests and manage rather easily only after switching to brown rice/brown rice beehoon/wholemeal breads ONLY for carbs.

The hardest part right now is trying to put on weight, have only put on 1.5 kgs, dietitian and doc advised more proteins, but it just seems so difficult as I am frequently constipated despite eating lots of veggies, fruits and drinking copious amounts of water, daily non-fat yoghurts, and even prunes. Was just prescribed lactulose last week, and things are slowly moving along....hope this isn't tmi!

How's everyone else coping?

Just to share my lunch today. I didn't finish the rice n the cracker and am surprised reading is good at 5.8. View attachment 632224
Looks yum! I know what I'll be having for lunch tmrw ;) yeah, I was surprised that nasi briyani didn't cause my reading to rocket, but I only take 3/4 bowl of the rice and avoided the gravy/pappadom as well....

Looks yum! I know what I'll be having for lunch tmrw ;) yeah, I was surprised that nasi briyani didn't cause my reading to rocket, but I only take 3/4 bowl of the rice and avoided the gravy/pappadom as well....

I read basmati rice is low gi so eat occasionally should be ok.

Hi mummies, I was told avocado is good fats for diabetes n Aso good brain development for bb inside. During my pregnancy I had avocado juice or milkshake once or twice a week. As it's quite filling sometimes I substitute as one of my meal..
Rem to order avocado milkshake or juice without honey or sugar..

Hi mummies, I was told avocado is good fats for diabetes n Aso good brain development for bb inside. During my pregnancy I had avocado juice or milkshake once or twice a week. As it's quite filling sometimes I substitute as one of my meal..
Rem to order avocado milkshake or juice without honey or sugar..
Wah? My dietitian told me to avoid avocado, as it is still too high in calorific content!!! :(

Wah? My dietitian told me to avoid avocado, as it is still too high in calorific content!!! :(

Mine said can eat but only the avocado fruit and not milkshake or juice. If I eat subway roast chicken multigrain bread I will add one scoop of avocado on it.

I'm currently week 15 but have been told to take 7 times readings 4 days a week and twice my readings 2hr after food was 6.7 and 7.3. Very stressed now as doc say I may have to take insulin, trying to control with diet but quite difficult as I feel tired and headache. Anyone, who's diagnosed with GD but managed to control without insulin? I'm thinking to control and prolong till as late as possible as I have 25 more weeks to go =(

I took insulin which is better than controlling diet.
Yes my endocrine dr requires any 3 days readings before n after meal per week. Only my gynae insists 7 readings per day.
Anyway after awhile I monitor myself too when I see readings gg up as my pregnancy progress I will get worried n ask my endocrine dr.. Tats y I say it's impt to monitor as our hormones changes as it goes..

I'm currently week 15 but have been told to take 7 times readings 4 days a week and twice my readings 2hr after food was 6.7 and 7.3. Very stressed now as doc say I may have to take insulin, trying to control with diet but quite difficult as I feel tired and headache. Anyone, who's diagnosed with GD but managed to control without insulin? I'm thinking to control and prolong till as late as possible as I have 25 more weeks to go =(
I am currently week 24, started GD diet at week 8, no need insulin for now, but as the doc keeps reminding me, as hormones fluctuate in later months, diet might not be enough and insulin might have to be prescribed :( your readings are borderline high, you can try walking 20 mins after each meal to bring it down, it is what I was advised to do!

Hang in there, it is worth it, but if u find it too difficult then discuss options w your doc, don't stress out, also no good for u n baby!!!

Mine said can eat but only the avocado fruit and not milkshake or juice. If I eat subway roast chicken multigrain bread I will add one scoop of avocado on it.
That's fantastic news!! I love avocado and sorely miss it TmT I will eat subway on Thursday after my checkup, muahaha!!! Thanks for the tip!

I am currently week 24, started GD diet at week 8, no need insulin for now, but as the doc keeps reminding me, as hormones fluctuate in later months, diet might not be enough and insulin might have to be prescribed :( your readings are borderline high, you can try walking 20 mins after each meal to bring it down, it is what I was advised to do!

Hang in there, it is worth it, but if u find it too difficult then discuss options w your doc, don't stress out, also no good for u n baby!!!

Did U manage to keep your reading at level or sometimes it will surge. I feel guilty n uneasy when my readings occasionally surge.

Haha good but remember don't put sauce. Just roast chicken avocado n cheese with multigrain bread.
Hehehe ya, I only eat wholemeal multigrain, but steak and cheese cos I am currently not putting on enough weight :( no sauce here too, but sometimes vinaigrette...was surprised subway is very suited to GD if choose multigrain and no sauce, my readings always 5.x and feel very full after Subway!! Just a tad salty even tho I dun add salt and pepper.....

Did U manage to keep your reading at level or sometimes it will surge. I feel guilty n uneasy when my readings occasionally surge.
Mine has occasionally surged the past week, but I think more because I am eating more brown rice and proteins to try to gain weight as advised by dietitian...

One time my morning pre-breakfast read was high, and I had even skipped my previous night snack... I was puzzled by it and checked GD forums, it seems skipping meals causes sugar rises as liver will break down other sources to provide energy for the body, since then I dare not skip night snack and my levels evened out.....

Patpat. We are hard on ourselves because we love our babies, sometimes, it is really out of our control and is due to hormones... Which my doc also warned me about..so I try not to stress myself out too much about it too.

Mine has occasionally surged the past week, but I think more because I am eating more brown rice and proteins to try to gain weight as advised by dietitian...

One time my morning pre-breakfast read was high, and I had even skipped my previous night snack... I was puzzled by it and checked GD forums, it seems skipping meals causes sugar rises as liver will break down other sources to provide energy for the body, since then I dare not skip night snack and my levels evened out.....

Patpat. We are hard on ourselves because we love our babies, sometimes, it is really out of our control and is due to hormones... Which my doc also warned me about..so I try not to stress myself out too much about it too.

Ya there were few times when my morning readinf spike n I read up n realised I should eat before sleep to keep the level balance. So now been drinking milk n eat nuts before going to bed n next morning level are ok.
I hope to keep away from insulin jab n can manage by controlling diet.

My morning reads average out about 4.2-4.8, but that morning I think was 5.x? And I was super puzzled cos I didn't snack the night before and slept in late.....

4.2 to 4.8 after meal is low so should be fine. The cut off is 7 for mine. So I cannot exceed 7 after 2 hr post meal.

4.2 to 4.8 after meal is low so should be fine. The cut off is 7 for mine. So I cannot exceed 7 after 2 hr post meal.
Yeah my cutoff is also 7, 2hrs post meals...usually mine about 5.x but last week start to hit 6.x, maybe cos I was less strict with diet.... Trying to bring it under 6 again....

Yeah my cutoff is also 7, 2hrs post meals...usually mine about 5.x but last week start to hit 6.x, maybe cos I was less strict with diet.... Trying to bring it under 6 again....

Wow U are very strict with your diet. I sometimes exceed 7 n feel so bad.

Wow U are very strict with your diet. I sometimes exceed 7 n feel so bad.
I exceeded 7 twice today cos I couldn't control my cravings, i also feel bad and prick test even though today is not my 'recording' day, i prick cos i felt guilty :(

I am able to be strict most days only cos I don't work and have been eating wholemeal/brown rice since 2010....don't be so hard on yourself....and please try not to compare cos like every pregnancy, GD is also different for every woman! Keep it up, but remember also that stress is no good for u nor the baby either!!!

My first day doing the prick test. Wonder whether there is something wrong with my machine. Post lunch it measured at 8.8. I took another reading 5-10 mins later and it became 7.7. Post dinner the reading was 7.9. I took another reading immediately using another finger and it was 7.1.

But my post dinner readings were taken less than a min apart. I took 2 readings almost simultaneously on different fingers.

But my post dinner readings were taken less than a min apart. I took 2 readings almost simultaneously on different fingers.
I wouldn't be too worried, there is always a margin of error, if ur machine is really erratic, bring it for calibration.

Hi, just to update. I went to see an endocrinologist and was informed to get the meter checked as the readings shouldn't differ by so much. So I brought back my meter to exchange for another one.

Ladies just remember that excess carbs (even with brown rice or wholegrain bread) turns into sugar in the body. many fruits are also high in sugar although it is natural sugar but it will spike the readings.
Calories are just a number which do no harm. it is the carbs that cause diabetes and heart diseases and many people are not aware of it...

Went for my diabetes checkup today, was nervous initially as my readings have been slightly higher than usual due to return or appetite and increased exposure to temptations!!! Last 3 weeks read between 6-7.1....

But I know that my brown rice and brown rice beehoon intake has also increased, I also realised that if I cook the beehoon directly into my soup, can elevate by almost 1.5!! Maybe is the starch wash in and also noodles soak up the soup base :(

Anyway, managed to gain 500g in a mth, and doc seems still happy with my reads, told me to keep it up. 13 more weeks to go!!!! We can do this!!

Also, wanted some recommendations for tingkat suitable for confinement for us GD mummies...so far I found only one that gives brown rice option :-/ anyone got good lobang?

Went for my diabetes checkup today, was nervous initially as my readings have been slightly higher than usual due to return or appetite and increased exposure to temptations!!! Last 3 weeks read between 6-7.1....

But I know that my brown rice and brown rice beehoon intake has also increased, I also realised that if I cook the beehoon directly into my soup, can elevate by almost 1.5!! Maybe is the starch wash in and also noodles soak up the soup base :(

Anyway, managed to gain 500g in a mth, and doc seems still happy with my reads, told me to keep it up. 13 more weeks to go!!!! We can do this!!

Also, wanted some recommendations for tingkat suitable for confinement for us GD mummies...so far I found only one that gives brown rice option :-/ anyone got good lobang?
Snow fern good that u have increased in weight .....I lost weight.
Now only put on 2kg as compared to pregnAncy at 29 weeks

Do we still need to eat brown rice after delivery??? I m thinking of high tea buffet before I deliver!!!

Snow fern good that u have increased in weight .....I lost weight.
Now only put on 2kg as compared to pregnAncy at 29 weeks

Do we still need to eat brown rice after delivery??? I m thinking of high tea buffet before I deliver!!!
my total weight gain is also 2kgs since pregnancy, but as long as baby and I am healthy, not gonna fret over it anymore.... :D plus my diet isn't as strict as before, I still had a couple of beard papas last month (shhh...don't tell! :p )!!

as for after delivery, as per what the nurse told me, our hormones need to readjust, and the confinement period is the crucial point where we determine if the gestational diabetes becomes 'permanent diabetes', so we should pace ourselves, but perhaps not as strictly as before? Then again, I will be attempting to breastfeed, so it would be good to watch what I eat so baby gets the best too!

my total weight gain is also 2kgs since pregnancy, but as long as baby and I am healthy, not gonna fret over it anymore.... :D plus my diet isn't as strict as before, I still had a couple of beard papas last month (shhh...don't tell! :p )!!

as for after delivery, as per what the nurse told me, our hormones need to readjust, and the confinement period is the crucial point where we determine if the gestational diabetes becomes 'permanent diabetes', so we should pace ourselves, but perhaps not as strictly as before? Then again, I will be attempting to breastfeed, so it would be good to watch what I eat so baby gets the best too!

Beard papa I like too. Did U test after eating haha.

Back