St. James Church Kindergarten Parents' Club

hi,

when do they start having enrichment lessons?
the enrichment lessons are for prenursery or nursery or k1 or k2?

Hi hellokitty,

PN only has enrichment class during sch hour. Kindermusik is the only one so far.

N, K1 and K2 has enrichment during and after sch hours. More than 10 to choose from.

hi,

how much are the enrichment lessons roughly?
if we dun sign up during the sch hours for the enrichment lessons,what will the kids do during that period?do u u all take school bus to the kindergarten?the bus uncle quoted me $200 for to and fro

abt $160-$200 per term per enrichment.

I'm not sure abt the rest of the class but my son will be going for outdoor play while some of his fren are in Kindermusik enrichment.

My boy also on sch bus. $130 for to and fro. We stay @ Jurong West. Where u stay?

Hi everyone!

I realise this thread hasn't been posted on recently, but am really hoping that those of you who have kids enrolled at SJCK can share some of your honest thoughts/feedback on the school. What makes SJCK so great that its waitlists are legendary? Are the teachers very good? Or the student:teacher ratio good? Or is it just herd mentality?

I don't mean to be disrespectful at all, but I would really appreciate some honest and detailed feedback. Most of the stuff you read about SJCK online relates to the long waitlists and parents celebrating when their kids get accepted, but what I would really like to know is whether the programme is good, what are the pros and cons etc.

Thanks!

Hi Yolk Sac,

My boy is in St James PNPG this yr. I would say the teachers are very good as my boy from a few words boy becomes a sentences boy. He really benefits alot from gg to PNPG in his language skills, social skills and most of all in his knowing God. Every class has a Chinese and an English teacher.

I like the PNPG programme cos it consists of waterplay, sandplay, gym, speech and drama activities at no extra cost.

PNPG class has a comms booklet with teachers and watever u wan to know, u can ask the teachers and they will share with u.

Also children there mostly come from good backgrounds ie their parents are doctors,artistes and businessmen. So the good influence is there. Of course my boy still picks up some ra-ra from his classmates but definitely not swear words or disrespectful actions.

Cons I felt would be there tend to be quite a no. of no-school days when school has excursions, annual concert etc. Also there's only one feedback session per year so if u dun ask in the comms booklet(would not have from PN onwards), u will hardly know what ur child is doing at sch. If u drive ur child to sch, driving there and parking is a big prob cos there have a very small carpark and is located besides a narrow driveway. My boy takes sch bus so no such prob unless we go to sch on some occasion.

U can call the sch to request for a tour of the sch. The principal is very very nice. She'll explain to u patiently how the sch is like.

Basically I very happy for my boy to be in this sch. He sure benefits alot so though the sch fee for PNPG is very exp as compared to the PCF/childcare with longer hrs, we put him in St James.

Hope the above can give u some insight on St James as to y the waiting list is so long.

Thanks so much, Annie for your very detailed and informative reply. Much appreciated!

How about the class size? Do you find the teacher:student ratio sufficient?

I will take up your suggestion and see when I can do a tour. My baby will only start at SJCK in 2011 so I have plenty of time really!

Thanks again!

No prob. Class size for PNPG is 1 teacher to 7 students. Can't comment it's sufficient or not but from the progress my boy is doing, should be ok. Think u can start registering next yr already cos i think now they already register for 2010. Btw, they'll be moving back to Holland Rd that area and won't be at Harding Road for long.

Hi hellokitty,

According to the sch, they'll be moving back to holland in 2014 or 2015 if I remembered correctly as their land lease cannot be renewed since the Govt wants to take back to re-develop the whole Dempsey area to food & beverage area. Ya I also find Harding road more centralised. Near to Orc too.

Sidetrack, u like Hello kitty since u named ur nick as so? U're welcome to join our Hello Kitty thread: http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/1678239.html

Hi Yolk sac,

FYI, my youngest child also starts sch in 2011 but I had already registered for her :D The vacancy shld be very limited soon cos 2010 PNPG already had long waiting list!

Annie,

Ya... they shld moving there ard 2015 cos my cousin was in K1 when they moved to Harding road. And the contract @ Demmsey was a 10years contract.

Annie,
SJCK really moving back to Holland? It's ok for me too. For the current one, think it's more inconvenient if we don't drive. Haha. . .unless I have no. 2. Otherwise, my DS won't be affected.

Got the email about the PNPG Orientation on 1 Nov. We're advised it's only for adults, not to bring our kids along.
Any mummy also attending?
Just wondering if any mummy knows if its also time to buy books and uniforms and stuff. If kid not coming along, abit hard to judge size.

Hi Vanny,

I received the email about this matter on 22 Oct 08 that if we wish to include the spouse and the child to attend this orientation, must email them giving the child birth cert no.

You may want to check with the school about it.

Btw where do you stay? Which session is your child in?

My girl is taking school bus to the school next year. Have also called the driver stating $160 round trip from Telok Blangah Heigths to the school. Try to bargain but unsuccessful..

Hi Joyce,

I received an email from them on 22 Oct too. The attachment of the programme schedule for the day states that the ORientation talk is meant ONLY for parents, and we are not to bring our children. Or did I get a different email than yours?

The funny thing is that the email stated the sent me a prior email on 7 Oct which I have not responded to. Hmmm.. I can vouch for the fact that I definitely didnt receive any email from them on 7 Oct, otherwise, I would have responded to it for sure.

Seems to me like the admin abit messy.

$160 is so ex! You've already got in touch with the school bus? How? My girl is in Session 2, what about yours?

Hi Vanny,

I also VOUCH I did not recieve the email on 7 Oct. Lucky one of the parent here received it and ask me to call them to check if my email is in their mailing list. The registar kept telling that they have email out and no return mail from my email addres.. Well I suppose that is their standard reply. Indeed..their admin is SUPER MESSY...could not agree more...many a times I ask them why not go back to sending letter instead of emailing.

$160 for round trip is fine for us as we dont drive..and it is much more costly to take a cab. The driver told me the increase is due to new seat belts they have to implement.

My DD is also in Session2. Wow..so excited..we must really keep in contact in terms of the school updating information.

Btw I have send you a PM.

1830898.jpg

Attached is the booklist for Nursery 2009.

RR1 to RR7 are a set of books on word building (Phonics). I am not very sure whether it is compile by the kindergarten as I cannot find any publisher on the book.

Joyce,
Looks like our girls have a chance of being classmates.

What you described sounds to me like a messy admin alright.. I've asked for email to be sent at my work email, so confirm that I will definitely see it if it was EVER sent to me at all.

Hopefully, the communication will get better once our girls start school, as they will have a bring some sort of notebook / handouts home.

Splendid if they are of the same class. My DD is born in Aug 06. Which month is your DD born in?

Currently my only concern is the toilet train part. Is your DD toilet train?

Mine is March 06. She's not toilet trained either. :p Plus she's a fussy eater, so I'm slightly worried she wont take the lunch.

Hi Mommies,

I dont visit this forum much and only saw this thread today. My girl's been in SJ PN this year and I am very happy with her progress. My intention in enrolling her was to have her get to know God on a daily basis, have daily devotions, prayers, singspiration etc. In addition I hoped she would learn discipline and enjoy her time with friends & teachers in a lovely environment. I can't gauge how 'advanced' she is in comparision to her friends, I believe she didnt progress as much this year as compared to last year when in a CCC as she had teachers around her all the time then; however, the objectives this year had been different and achieved. I am glad that she will remain there for another couple of years. The real learning, I think for her, will probably start in N1. My girl will say the prayers for us as a family at night before we sleep nowadays and although sometimes it could be unclear, I am very glad to see her belief and thanking God for her days.

Back to earlier questions about the enrollment, my understanding is the PN classes at 10x14 students and in total they had approx 900 children in the school. I agree the first impression of the principal was not great however, I learnt along the way of her patience and intelligence in dealing with children (&parents) and I think she is fairly gifted in her work. I am beginning to like her.

It would have been great if they could incorporate swimming (aqua ducks) in the PN programme but I guess I was dreaming for too much
happy.gif

If you are looking for a small kindergarten with a very warm environment I will strongly suggest Gracefields @ Gilstead. I regard Mrs. Teo the principal highly and would have placed my girl there if not for my husband's preference of a bigger set-up.

Feel free to PM if you wish to disucss more, I am a FTWM and could be slow in response but will certainly like to exchange some info.

Hi Mummies:

Joyce- please dont worry about toilet training as my gal was on pull ups when she went to pre-nursery. Thank god her teachers were great darlings and worked closely with me to teach my gal to be toilet trained and to my amazement gal was off the pull-ups in 3 months and of course there were accidents but the teachers never ever complained
happy.gif

Vanny- my gal is also a super fussy eater but surprisingly when they are at school, they kind of listen to their teachers and when the see their fellow class mates eating, they would eventually eat but not as much as we would like them to but its a good start.

Hi Mummies
Just to share with u on how SJ teachers' effectiveness in toilet training. My boy is still on diapers when attending PNPG this yr. Within 3 weeks, he's toilet-trained though I've started to train him since months before he attended SJ.

Brownie
Tks for sharing the booklist. Didn't have access to this till I saw what you've posted. Had already paid for them but didn't know what I pay for.

Purin
Ya heard from the Principal when I went there for walk-around last yr that they would be moving back to Holland after their church is renovated and the lease here ends.

Joyce
$160 is real exp and I think installation of seat belt is an excuse as the principal proudly announced on the orientation that all their sch buses have all along have seat belts installed. I'm staying near Tiong Bahru plaza and paying $130 per month. But that time the bus uncle did mention increasing the bus fees so maybe from next yr, I might be paying same price as u. $30 is a huge increase!

The PNPG pm session children are going for an excursion to airpot today. See if I can take some pics and show here. My boy and I are very excited for the coming event.

Sharmila
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that peer pressure will force my girl to try out new foods.
happy.gif

Annie
Wow! Guess this lazy mummy will leave it to teachers to toilet train my girl then. :p
Think the increase in bus fee should be only about $10 or so (according to the bus driver I spoke with).

Joyce
Nice meeting you at Orientation that day. I checked with bus driver that fee to my estate is currently $80 but will increase next year.

Sharmila,
Thanks for sharing with me abt the tiolet training. I suppose my girl need a 3rd pty to help me out..

Annie,
Huh yours only $130 and after knowing Vanny K is only $80..make me seriously think shd I take their school bus. It simply doesn't sense to me..what shd I now..how to nego with them..Somemore I told them I want to accompany my girl in the school bus and willing to pay for me seat..

Vanny K,
Increase next year..then how..mine is already $160 for this year..I cannot imagine they charge me a higher fee next year.

Btw I have bot the school uniforms liao..bot 3 tee, 2 formal, 1 jacket..aiyo..my girl simply refused to try out when I bring the there..she make so much noise at the admin ofice till I feel so pai say..

Hi all,

Nice to see this thread moving
happy.gif

My boy bus fee is $130 to JW. I personally find it very resonable.

Bad news is I had withdraw my son fr SJCK cos we will be relocating to Brunei next mth. Will be back in 2012 for my #2 K2 and #3 nursery.

Joyce,
So fast, you bought uniforms liao! Was wondering how many pc of each to buy.
You bought the hat? I saw the kids in my neighbourhood got a St James school bag too.
Not sure if we have to buy it as well.
Dont worry, think as a preschool, they should be well-used to little kids making a fuss.
happy.gif

Considering that Eileen posted bus fare to JW is $130, the price quoted to you for Telok Blangah seems abit high.
But could it be because not many kids are there and they gotta make a special detour to drop your daughter off?

Vannyk,

Indeed..the high fee is due to not many students around my area. The driver keep telling me the original fee is $180. BTW, my pick up time is 10am and reach school at 11am..for returning home..they drop my girl around 3+pm...he can't tell me exactly what time to reach home. I have this strong feeling is very late as my place is reall quite inconvient.

Gosh..so early to pick my girl up and drop off late..i may have 2nd thoughts thinking off alternative...may be take taxi to and flow..now during that 3hrs have to find something to do effectively while waiting for her.

Err school bag?..the admin staff din tell me abt it..cld it be for Nursery onwards. Btw the time table for each activities for dewdrops (DD) will be given out on the 1st day of school..

Mummies
Can i check when do i need to enrol my child for SJCK if i were to join her for playgroup, nursery etc?

Joyce
That's very early and late for your girl to be dropped off! Sounds like she's the first to be picked and last to alight.

Went down to buy the uniform ytd as I had off day from work.
Also bought 2 sets uniform, 3 tshirts. Only when I got home then i realise, if I buy only 2 sets of uniform, that means only got 2 skorts to wear for all 5 days right? I may have to go buy another set when school starts, just for the skorts.

Vannyk..ya loh..how huh? should I just send my girl myself...we don't drive..so I have to taxi.though ex..we can jolly take our time ..leaving my house at 11am and bring her back myself..the only concern is I have to stay in school..find something to do..

Btw do you know if I bring my girl back home myself..what is the earliest time to pick up her up from class? 12.30pm or ealier? Also do you knoow is there snack time for session 2 or just lunch only? what time is the lunch huh?

Actually you can wash the shorts ..dry very fast due to its material..btw can't just buy bottom..must buy as 1 set of formal uniforms..

Btw did you buy the bag?

Joyce
if you are SAHM and can afford the time to sit and wait around for your girl everyday.
Perhaps you can "book" a taxi uncle who lives near your area, for a fixed sum every month, to send and fetch your girl to school?? (Not sure if its feasible??!) Was just thinking, that way, you can negotiate like for a fixed sum of approx $120-150, same taxi will ferry your kid (and you)?

Joyce
Think the Principal mentioned that lunch is at 12 noon. Dont think there's another snack time after that.

Huh? Session 2 starts at 11.30 and you wanna pick your girl up from class at 12.30? Then she will hardly spend even an hour in school leh, what's the point? Sounds like your travelling time to and fro may end up being more than the time she actually spends in school.

Since class officially ends at 2.30pm, my guess is that a reasonable time you should start picking her up earliest is at around 2pm.
Although of course, you should be perfectly free to pick her at any time (including 12.30pm) if you wish.

PIty about the skorts thing. I'm just worried since, they gonna start toilet training as well, going by just 2 skorts may not be enough... May just buy another set of uniform.

Otherwise, any mummy out there with spare shorts / skorts to let go? Pls PM me.
happy.gif

Actually dont mind even if its shorts. figure it wont really make a difference, if its just meant to be kept in school bag for spare, in case my girl soils herself in school, at least got something appropriate to cover her butt on the way home.

Forgot to ask about the bag. haha.. nevermind.

Vanny,

Yah hor..thanks for suggesting the idea of finding a taxi driver..

Oops..actually I meant 2.30pm and type out as 12.30pm. In that case..at least I know the earliest time to pick up is 2pm..

You have the pt of not enough spare shorts..I will probably just buy one more set of uniform in case my DD soil it too..

hi all,

just for info. my boy is in playgroup, moving to nursery next year.

[Issue on bag]
Playgroup children can bring their own bag (i.e. any design) to hold their items. Essential items to place inside: notebook (given by SJCK) and school hat. Optional: School jacket/vest if the child has low tolerance for cold temperature. (I just let my boy wear a singlet inside)

For Nursery, K1 and K2 children, they have to use the same school bag (red SJCK bag).

Anyone interested in St James uniforms (Sz S) for gal. I have 2 preloved sets to give away and one sweater. Self collection at upper bukit timah. Not for fussy mommies.

Wenghan:
Thanks for theinfo on schoolbag
happy.gif
Was wondering abt it since I see SJ kids in my neighbourhood carrying it.

Joyce,

Checked my notes from the Orientation that day. Think I noted down that earliest time to pick kids up is 2.15pm iirc.

Hi Muffin

I have interested in your 2 sets..is it formal ones that comes with shorts?

Btw I have send you a PM. Thanks

Hi Vanny K..thanks..I also wrote that in my notes that day..thanks for assurance..btw have you girl tried out the uniforms. My girl says nice when I put them on for her : )

Joyce,
Uniforms all taken up. Will let u know if any moms back out.
happy.gif

To all st james mummies, dun worry too much abt ur kiddos. They will have fun in class, the teachers are great! For me, I think its alittle too far for my gal to commute thats y I pulled her out.
happy.gif
Now I worry about her class next year, hope I made the right choice.

Back