Premature babies support group

Mr Q, I have added you to the group!!
happy.gif

Hi jas
Usually diacharge date is about your edd and baby has t gain their weight to 2kg and able to suck milk well and of course healthy than can discharge.

I did baby shower for immediate family members only cos my bb still in nicu than...

Hi Kelly,
Your baby has been doing well all these while... I believe she will recover soon..

Btw, I have not receive your pm? What is your email or name? Maybe I missed it out..
happy.gif

Sally ,
I didn't see any group or invite in FB. May I know which group is that. Many Thx !

Jas,
My boys are born at 26 weeks plus. We didn't do any baby shower except for cupcakes & pastries for our colleagues as they given us a lot of gifts & ang baos.

For family , we only celebrated their 1st birthday at AA 1 yr old/ CA 9 Mths.

Hi Chewy, I have added you as friend in FB. pending for you to accept. Is your profile picture with 2 baby wearing red color romper? You have to accept me as friend b4 I can add you into the fb group.
happy.gif

Hi I have a yao lan with automated rocking machine to let go. Good condition. Used for less than a month. PM me if interested.

We distribute cakes on her full mth though she is still in hosp
With my ils disapproval saying no nid n stuffs but hello! She is my dotter n I am proud to have her though she can't celebrate in time
Not boy den juz kept quiet tat I delivered?
I insisted I wan to
Announce the arrival of our gal
Bought some cakes for the nicu staffs too
And she discharge one day after her full mth

After that we did a 100 days celebration inviting close frds n relatives since PD approved she is coping well..

Thx Sally ! I just added you as Frd
happy.gif
Yap , my profile is 2 babies in Red rompers !

Julbee,
#2 is doing physio now without improvement for his gross motor skills. And Therapist suspected very mild CP. Pending review from PR in early Jun

Chewy,

Sorry to hear that gross motor progress is slow for your #2. My boy's gross motor was also quite delayed - crawled at 10 months CA, sat up unassisted at 1 yr CA, cruised at 11 months CA, walked at 18 months CA. Back when he wasn't making much progress you can tell that PT and Dr Agarwal were dancing around the topic of CP. Today I still don't know if they will class his as having mild CP or not.. he is 23 months CA and running around, but can't climb stairs well.

I think PT/Drs will always say "it depends, wait and see" and unfortunately for CP/devt delays, it's very true. You have to wait and see how it plays out and do the therapy in the meantime. Obviously a lot depends on what your child's CA is now and what he is already accomplishing and his rate of progress.

Ah I see you said "very mild CP" That's quite promising
happy.gif

Ah..seems that doc likes to scare people..I was told the same thing as well.it certainly does not feel good listening to such things.
It was e doc who told me that my gal could haf mild cp.but therapist sees that there is improvement each time she sees my gal.
Let's believe in our kids.if its cp, I think can see de right? As long as e bb is responsive.. I believe everything's fine..

Sally,

Did you add me in the group? I don't see it..

My baby went back to NICU after SCN stay of nearly a week due to infection. Yday the doctor told me that it's due to Group B strep, which is odd since I had emergency c-section and it's nearly 3 months since birth. I asked if it could be due to nurses handling other babies who have the bacteria present and then touching my girl, hencing passing it on. He doesn't rule out that possibility. Due to the infection, milk feeds have stopped for at least 7 days and she's on drip. I'm wondering if it could be due to the less stringent hygiene control in SCN. When the doctor first told us last week that she could move over to SCN, I was a little apprehensive as she just got off CPAP but was still very small. And true enough, after shifting over, she ended up getting an infection
sad.gif
Furthermore there is another boy together in the NICU who is born 2 weeks after her who wasn't "touched" so still in NICU. Now she's right beside him and I can see that he's doing rather well, while my baby is hooked onto drips and blood transfusion all that. Really quite painful to see. Could see that she was very sick on the first day of getting the infection as she did not move at all when she is usually active. Are we allowed to challenge the doctors' decision to shift our baby out at the start? I know another reason is due to the limited space in NICU (had spoken to various nurses before she moved out) but it can't possibly be fair to "force" my baby out also.

You know once in NICU, there was a nurse who was handling my baby and she coughed into her hands. I thought she would sanitize her hands before putting them back into the incubator but no, she put it straight back without sanitizing! I didn't say anything because if she could do it right in front of me, she could do anything when I'm not around. Any idea who I can feedback this to??

Anyway just a quick check.. whose babies are still in NICU/SCN? Just like to know so that we can "support" each other.
happy.gif

Onefish / Julbee,
Thanks for sharing. Can't help but worrying for him !
For now I Just keep exercising with him/ swim and also making him wear a pair of shoes once~twice a day to practice standing with supports.

He used to crawl like a worm till we start the PT. Then we train him slowly to do commando style of crawling. It didn't work till I let his elder bro & him roam freely in the house. He is very competitive hence seeing him crawl very fast from one place to another, he try his best to catch up. Now after 2 mths (CA11M) he start to do commando crawling. Strange is that he can push/ pull himself to standing position and cruise around the play yard with supports at CA9M+. Yet till now he can't sit up without assistance.
Next, PT and us notice he tends to topped toes a lot these days.
PT already prepare me in advance that by next session in 2 weeks time, if he don't show improvement. Braces on the ankles / foots are needed. I can't wait for Dr Khoo to be back in office and seek her advise soonest.

Sunkissed,

I don't recall if you are in kkh or other hospital? Usually Drs are quite conservative and only move to SCN when they feel your baby really can handle it. IMO the more effective approach would be to bring it up with doctors and the nurse "sisters" there, inform them (nicely) that you want everyone touching bb to wash hands/sanitize beforehand. I'm sure they will accommodate you because your bb already contracted one infection! My experience is that if you tell them you're concerned about something, they will do something about it. You may need to remind them daily cos of shift change, or ask someone to make a note in the file. Lastly, infections are hard to prevent sometimes, even with all precautions in place.. just bear in mind.
happy.gif

Chewy,

my son also had the sitting problem! aka cannot sit by himself until waay after expected. On hindsight (I think) it was because his stomach muscles were not developed at all, and over time it got better. Now he sits like any other kid, climbs on everything, including standing on his rocking horse. It was only after he started really walking (18m CA) that we saw all kinds of improvements. I think its a really good sign that your son's already pulling up and cruising. PT prob already told you, crawling up stairs is a good way to work on his core muscles.

I don't really have experience with tippy toe walking, but I'm a believer in doing all the therapy you can early.. at first you don't see much improvement, but over time you can see the difference it makes for your child. We were also soo worried that he wouldn't walk, and were so relieved that he finally did at 18m CA. Kudos for going swimming and keep up the therapy exercises
happy.gif

My baby's in KKH. I think I was probably just venting my frustration. It's not a nice feeling when she suddenly catches an infection after doing so well. She's much better already and the odd thing is she's a lot chubbier after shifting back to NICU
happy.gif
probably due to TPN as she's not having feeds now to be cautious.

Right now, she's hovering between 1.4 to 1.5kg. Waiting for her to escape from the incubator so I can carry her! Can't imagine how much she's grown. Was just looking at her photos at birth last night when she was really skinny.

Can u add me in the group too? I'm new and just delivered to a 28weeker on 14apr.
happy.gif
and can i know what are the weights of ur babies at 32week?

Hi, anyone here whose baby just couldn't get the suck-swallow-breathe coordination even past term? Dunno what is taking mine so long. The doctors seem to be getting worried. I'm afraid he may have to go home on tube feeding. More worried that this may signal delays in achieving other motor milestones as well. Sigh

Hi blossom: did they assigned a speech therapist (if i remember correctly) to help your baby? I remembered seeing similar cases while my babies were in special care nursery.

Hi Valentina, sure, you can join our fb group. You are more than welcome. Can you pm me your fb profile name and email address and I'll add you in fb. Thanks
happy.gif

Blossom,
Don't worry. My baby started sucking on bottle about 1 wk plus b4 his discharge. Initially, he can't really coordinate and i was worried. But the nurse was very patient and try him on alternate feed on tube feeding and on bottle. She let him suck about 3-5 suck than pull out the nipple and let him rest. After 1 wk, he is ok with it and coordinate well. I believe your baby can do it. give your baby a bit more time.
happy.gif

Thanks for the encouraging msgs. However it has been 4 weeks already that he's been on the bottle and he's still not 'getting' it. The SLTs don't seem to know what to do either. Now they are saying just wait, prob go home on tube, and just wait for him to get it one day.

blossom,

The great majority of babies do "get it" before discharge or shortly after discharge. I think there is at least one mummy here who brought baby home on tube feeds and then successfully transitioned to bottle feeds.. Jagiebaby and/or Jublee?

Does baby take anything from bottle at all? How many mls and how many times a day? If he can do even once a day, that is good and he will most likely catch up. Hope all goes well with your little twins.

Hi all,
my baby boy is borned at 29weeks, currently still in the nicu. He's doing rather well, except for his occasionally breathing problems,but may be discharged in 2-3 weeks time. We're currently looking for a baby monitor which can detect breathing or movement and we've narrowed it down to either Angelcare or Ibabyguard. Any parents using either of the brands above? Or any better recommendation?

Hi ariesbaby2012,

I have a Angelcare sound n movement monitor to let go. Just bring out once for testing recently else never use before. Interested, PM me.

blossom,

i think what your son needs is time to practise and lots of patience. my son also kah lang kah poh when he started the bottle when he was "weaning off" tube feeding. Can drink, forget to breathe, can breathe, forget to swallow...was very stressful back then. and every feed, even a small feed of 90 ml, took at least 45 mins with many intervals within.

but one day after 4 months of pacing his drinking and replacing numerous latex teats, out of the blue he started drinking normally and been drinking from avent bottles since!

give him time, he will get there!

take care!

Blossom, my baby took more than 4 weeks to learn too. And it was like stock market, some days drink a lot from bottle, some days can't drink much. From one feed a day , move to alternate bottle feed then move back to 1 feed per shift (twice a day) , SLT will keep adjusting based on his performance. She reduced number of tries b4 when my baby seems to get tired.

Aries - I m using angel care. Quite sensitive so hv to do all the testing (with fan, with windows open etc) .

Aries, you can also rent the pulse oximeter if you are really worried. If you are at KK the charge is $250 deposit, $250 per month I believe. IBabyGuard, I think one of the nurses said that after a while they grow too big for the mat, start moving around so may not stay on the mat.

Hi mummies,

I came across this thread and saw some of you gals are looking for your baby's health insurance.

Pls pls pls pls, ask properly if they cover the non standard drugs, experimental drugs and stem cells.

I'm an agent myself, previously I'm selling Axxxx shield plan but when I moved over to G company. I was told by a very senior agent that Axxxx does not cover for non standard drugs. And from all company, I was told that for stem cells, other companies will only kick in stem cells only when all other alternatives r being used however, G company there is no need to go for other alternatives. If stem cells is one of the treatment needed, i can go for it.

Don't be happy with the free child coverage that Axxxx has. It is cover under plan 2. Which is govt hos. And free till only age 21 and in between if there is any Pre existing illness, in future they can't switch to other companies anymore. So pls be caution to choose the company.

And or the pregnancy complications, you can check wif ur agent how many pregnant complications do they cover? G company covers a very wide range of complications. U gals might wanna do some comparison first..
happy.gif

G company still offers a renewaL discount of 5% and I 1 parent buy child will have 10% on premium.

If u gals r interested, I can tell u all more. No obligation..
happy.gif

Lastly, hope you gals de bb faster get well. I so wish that my boy has the same chance as your babies to stay in nicu and I have the chance to worry abt the bills. Haiz. However, angel took him about 4 months back.. I lost my boy due to placenta abruption or pre-term labour. This June 3 marks his 4 months.. If he is still around he would be 4 months old.. Edd suppose to be 18 may. Still hurst badly..

Anyway, pray that u gals de babies faster get out of nicu to normal ward then faster go home!!! ;)

hi, dear all. my baby discharged from nicu last week. she was born 31weeks 4days. I brought her for routine check up last 2days, the jaundice level was 12.7. doctor sai. d is border line. she ord 5weeks old.anyone face same problem? I'm fully breast feeding and thinking mix similac Neosure milk powder as heard fr my fren regarding breast milk can cause jaundice. I did not eat any Ginger Chinese medicine or alcohol

hi joan, your girl must be doing really well to be discharged after 46 days. Well done to mummy too =) my boy was born 28 wks premature as well but was only discharged after 78 days. How's your girl now?

Wong Yng, does your girl still have jaundice? Hope she is well now.

My daughter was born 28 weeks premature and has been stayed in Nicu for 37days. Everythhing is fine except that she can't breath by herself.she is 1432g now. Any mummy has the same experience?

hi zhuomin, my boy was born premature at 28 weeks too. He had poor post natal growth and was on the CPAP a fair bit especially when bottle-fed. He is now 3 yrs old and is doing well. Did the doctor refer a speech therapist to assess your baby?

Hi Joan Sim

Happy that your gal is doing well and discharged already! Home is always the best place for them. Can you pm me your email and I will add you into our fb group. :)

Thanks

Hi Wong Yng Yng

Congrats that your gal has discharged! Hope she is doing well at home. Don't worry about the jaundice, most of the babies far this jaundice problem. Have you went back to the pd for review on her jaundice?

My boy had jaundice when he is in nicu. Went under the blue light for 2 to 3 days.

hi, my gal still has problems drinking... she drinks to fast (i bottle feed her) and tends to puke out some before i get her to burp... when i try and feed her slowly, she cant wait and will cry... she appears to be very hungry when she is awake... but when she is tired and sleepy, she can last 4 h without drinking...

although she is discharge, she still has slight jaundice... but the pediatrician say should be ok... prob due to drinking full bm... when she is in nicu, she went under the light several times... even after one month... which is quite rare... they had to double the light when her sb shot up quite high...

@joan: did the speech therapist assess your girl in hospital? my girl also has problems drinking. when she first started, she was very eager to suck and couldn't seem to get enough of it. then she could finish the whole bottle but after the video x-ray, she was found to have fluids going into her lungs. now she will probably be going home with tube feeding and strictly limited to 5 mins bottling. did you try to pace her e.g. few sucks then stop the flow or use a slow-flow teat?

Back