Premature babies support group

Amy, my baby was terrified of bathing in the hospital. I'm fact the nurses there told me he will cry loudly at every bath time.
The first week at home, he cried loudly n held on so tightly to my tee... Could tell that he was terrified. But we talked to him softly n sang n laughed so that he will feel less scared. We also closed all window n doors so that it will not be too cold for him. He cried lesser n lesser, after one week stopped crying. Now he enjoys his bath time a lot
happy.gif

Just get everything ready n near u before u start.
It always help to have another person ard to help u. N dun panic when baby cry, I feel that they will know if mummy/ daddy is panicking n can tell fr our tone.

Jia you !

Eedaddy, try console your wife more... Must be tough breasfeeding twins . She's doing very well already, dun be too hard on herself. Crying may affect supply too.

Just to share, I tried all of the below to build up supply
- domperidone for 1 month ( must be prescribed by KK)
- fenugreek
- nursing tea
- soy bean drink every now n then
- at least 2-3 liters of water every day
- fish every day or fish bone soup
- rest whenever possible ( this is the hardest...)

And what worked for other mummies in the forum but didn't work for me -
Oats
Bullfrog
Multigrain bread

Maybe she can read the forum too. A lot of mummies struggle with milk supply. A little breastmilk is better than nothing.

Hi Ning.

Thanks for the tips.
I will try to buy nursing tea today.
Heard a lot about it.
rest whenever possible is the hardest i agree. haha
Sometime baby sleep soundly dun move also worried and deliberately touch him, then see him suckle then "fang xin"
May i know the price and where to buy nursing tea? Any particular brand?
Thanks

Hi Ning,

Thanks for the offer.
I look up the forum and there is a lot of good remarks about Sacred Nursing Tea.
Yup, we also hope to extend the breast feed as long as possible.

Thanks

Hi eedaddy,

Congrats on the discharge of your elder baby! Don't be too stress up over the milk supply, let your wife know that she is doing the best she could! i also did not have enough supply for both babies and i ended up giving them neosure. not my preferred choice but i just simply have insufficient supply.

by the way, i have a packet of this unopened Sacred milk tea, expiring feb 2012. Would be happy to give it away if your wife does not mind. let me know.

cheers!

6202783.jpg

Hi bubbly_me

Thank you very much. I bought a can of Neosure today and discuss with my wife to use it at the last resort cos of the stomache infection issues previously.
We maybe use it when baby has reached 40 weeks or more so "dong" another 2 weeks. Will also be just nice for the first follow up. At least with formula at home she not so stress.

I will pm you my email

Hi mummies,
I am selling my Premature books, sleep book and twins book.

1. Juggling Twins (Meghan Regan-Loomis). Bought $28, sell at $10
2. EVERYTHING twins, triplets and more book (Pamela Fierro, guide to Multiples). Bought $25, sell at $10

6211899.jpg

PM me if keen!
Cheers!

3. Premature Baby Book (William Sears/ Robert Sears/ James Sears/ Martha Sears) Bought $27, SELLING $10
6211907.jpg

PM me if keen

4. Childcare by Thomson Medical Centre (Wong Boh Boi)
5. Childbirth by Thomson Medical Centre (Wong Boh Boi)
6. Breastfeeding by Thomson Medical Centre (Wong Boh Boi)

6211927.jpg
6211928.jpg
6211929.jpg

Sell $5 each or $10 for all 3 books!
PM if keen.

Hi Mummies and Daddies.

Having some roller coaster rides recently so had not post much. Wish to begin off by thanking all daddies and mummies for your praying and support during my difficult times. This is really a great forum!!

My Elder boy is home. A bit fussy and always wish to be carry. EBM not enough so start to feed NeoSure alternate with EBM whenever got "extra".
Thanks to Bubbly_me for the sacred tea, hope my wife can produce a bit more. I do notice with Neosure, Evan get tired easily during feeding, maybe the milk is thicker so harder to swallow. I am thinking like Chewy to add 10ml more water to make it thinner but dun noe is it ok or not. Will check with Dietician during the follow up next week.(Have a feeling he/she sure say cannot)

Etan is still in hospital. Was asked by the Dr if I am ok with him being discharge on tube feeding. I seek opinion from some experience mummies and discussing with my wife, I think is better to stay a week or more until he is off tubing. I do not wish to insert the tube wrongly into his lung since the 2 holes is in the throat and cannot be seen. Think the air vent and food vent quite near. Have waited for nearly 3 months so no bothers another week or month. Just afraid of other infections in hospital.
Hope I made the right choice.

Hi, Laww(eedaddy),

Havent been on board some time as I had been busy..

My son was discharged with tube feeding...I dunoe if I am the right person to advise you but let me tell you about my experiences.

I was afraid of tube feeding and did not want to get my son home but the nurses advised me that hospitals are not the cleanest of places. Are you comfortable with tube feeding as in have you been trained on it and are you confident of the various steps involved. You would have to do hands on and the nurses would teach you how to do it. Why dun you learn how to do it first and see if you are comfy with it? If you really are not, maybe wait another week and see if he can be fed orally by then? Also, you would face the risk of letting your son stay in hospital where there are viruses/germs around.

By the way, my son was tube fed two months after discharge and after that, I could not bear to see him tube fed and there and then, decided to feed him orally albeit slow though..

Regarding whether the tube would be inserted wrongly into the lungs or not..correct me if im wrong, the nurses would teach you how to measure the tube. Also, you would be given some tests to do like aspirate to see if the tube indeed has reached the stomach. Also maybe you and your wife can practise and see if you are confident with it.

Hope this help..if not hope other mummies/daddies can shed light on this.

eedaddy,

you are most welcome!

regarding neosure, it is certainly thicker and it requires more energy and efforts to drink. if i am not wrong, you can ask SLT how to pace the drinking so that it is less tiring for baby.

take care!

Its been a long time since I came in..

My boy is now AA 28months, weight @ 15.2kg and height @ 96cm.. So far dr not concern abt his growth but when we went for his assesment on tuesday, she say he need to go and see the child development dr.. Is this for the IQ test? At this point, he can recite A-Z and Z-A, know his numbers from 1-20 but some pronounce not accurate. Some simple spelling. But he is still not talking in combine words, oni single words. Then dr say he got no eye contact which he is perfectly fine at home. He is seeing speech therapist, SPOT too..

Hi Jagiebaby, wow! Your boy's growth is really good. My boy is only 9.4 kg CA 25mths. He also just went for his assessment last week at the Child Development Department. At 2 yrs old, it is not accurate to test a child's IQ. Hence, this assessment is not an IQ test. What they are looking out for is whether if he is functional i.e. how does he relate with others, does he respond well to instructions, how is his problem-solving skills, does he establish eye-contact consistently, what is his attention span etc. He will also be assessed on his fine and gross motor skills. It is a 1.5 - 2 hrs assessment. So ideally, your boy should be alert i.e preferably taken his nap and well fed. Towards the end of the assessment, my boy was so hungry that he was munching on his cereals while responding to the assessor. We were initially very hesitant about taking the assessment beoause we felt that he is doing fine. Plus its not cheap S$120 but deductable from CDA account. In the end, we still went because we just wanted to ensure that he is developing well esp since he is VLBW and very premature. One positive thing that came out of the assessment was that it showed my boy to be highly-functional and rather advanced for his age. The assessor encouraged us to continue doing what we have been doing. Since we know about it, we are now more conscious about developing his interest and to continue what we have been doing with him to motivate him to learn and experience the world around him.

Hi,

Just to check if anyone got similar experience?

My bb was admitted to hospital due to fever (38.1), highly irritable, poor feeding. During urine test, have high white blood cell count. Urine test was repeated and WBC is higher than previous. Suspected Urinary Tract Infection but the symptoms had gone away. No longer having fever, became less irritable and feeding resumes.

I dunno what's going on. Still under observation.

Hi lilac and Jagiebaby,

May I know more about the IQ test? Is that a test that requested by the doctor or by us?
My gal is currently AA 24months, CA 22months, and she was borned in SGH, so far doctor didnt tell me anything about this IQ test, as she was also VLBW, I wonder should I asked doctor about this test.

On one hand I feel a bit reluctant to give her this test, since I feel quite comfortable with her development but on the other hand I still have some worry that I might overlooked some delay as I'm not very familiar with what toddler should do or not do at certain age.

And do they have test conducted in Mandarin? How a toddler from mandarin speaking family can follow the instructions given in English? Can parents give translation? :D

Aixin, as mentioned earlier, this is not an IQ test. If I recall correctly, its call Bayley Assessment for Infants/Toddlers. Different hospitals may have different assessment for the child. KKH has it but not too sure about SGH. A nurse from KKH called to inform me that they would like to assess my boy. I think if one chooses not to go, they can't force you as well. The assessment is done in English. Because I know abit more about assessment tools and having studied them, I asked the assesor about the language used especially for those from non-English speaking family. She says they would get a interpretor. Of course, with any translation of the assessment, it may not be accurate. In any sense, it is to test the functional skills of a child. There are research that have shown that VLBW and very premature babies are at a higher risk (as compared to term babies) to have learning disabilities. Hence, the earlier a toddler is assessed and found to have learning disabilities or delays in development, early intervention is often crucial. Some learning disabilities are highly treatable i.e. with much practice and therapy, the child can function normally. But again, what is 'normal' and by whose standards? My rationale for my boy to undergo the assessment is just to confirm that he is not delayed in any areas (which we didn't feel he was). On hindsight, since he is going pre-school next year, I can watch out for any potential areas of growth or perhaps areas needing attention.

Hope the information helps.

Hi Kelly,

Dun worry. Your BB will be fine. If UTI, they will give a course of antibiotics. The fever is off meaning your baby is getting better. Try to keep the groin area dry and clean and change the pampers when necessary. Try not to save on the pampers. For me, Pee one time I also change, if infection or rashes more expensive. Then wiping the poo poo try not to touch the shh shh part.

Your BB resume feed and fever off will get well soon. Dun worry too much. Dr will normally say monitor for a while. Cheers

Hi Eedaddy,

Thanks. She's finally discharged today. On oral antibiotics. Now very careful. Will clean and double clean each time.

=)

Hi Kelly.

Glad everything is fine now.
For girls especially, try to keep her XXX dry and wipe backside must front to back. Dun let poo poo get into the XXX. If by accident poo poo get inside, must troublesome a bit use warm water with cotton wool wipe clean. Rather troublesome a bit than later lots unnecessary trouble.

Baby must be glad to go home. Let her have a good sleep and she will be smiling at you in the morning :)

My baby is down with cough n runny nose. He's AA 7 mths, CA 4 mths. Went KK n they did suction for him n say there's a lot of mucus. Asked us to monitor at home.
He's still coughing quite a lot at home n we tried using a pigeon mucus suction tool ( small manual one) to suck out for him. The doc says we can only try to suck out the mucus n give saline nosedrops. Nothing else we can do as he's too young. Anyone has similar experiences? Do preemie take longer to recover? Anything else we can do for him?

Am upset that we wasn't vigilant enough n let him catch the illness fr his sister . The sister didnt go very near him but I think shouldn't let them stay in the living room together .

Hi Ning,

If you are sleeping in a aircon room, try to put a humidifier so the air will be humided. This is to prevent mucus from getting to dry and thick. Try to elevate your boy bed when he is sleeping. The elevation will help to clear the airway. Keep a close watch on your boy lip colour, a indication if he is getting enough O2.

Ning, sorry to hear that your boy is sick. From my experience, I feel that premature babies do take a longer time to recover. My boy was also down with cough and runny nose when young cos' elder brother attends 3 hr school. I actually had to nebulize my younger boy. It helps to clear his airway and sleeps better at night. I think when kids fall sick, the parents suffer as well. So, do take care of yourself too.

Thanks David / lilac for replying...

I have a humidifier n currently setting it at 60.. Shld I go higher?

Any gd idea how to elevate the bed? Baby is sleeping in his cot, or is there special pillows we can buy ?

Sad to hear that they take longer to recover , it has been five days n we feel really sorry for baby

Btw lilac, how old was ur child when u used the neubilizer?
Both KK n PD didn't ask us to try n just mention that med is not gd for infant so young. Was thinking we can ask dr again

Ning, usually KK dispenses a medication to help with the secretions. It's an orange liquid you add to the food - chlorpheniramine. In my experience it only helps a little bit. The nasal drops are not v effective either.

My advice - suction the nose with pigeon aspirator, but not too only often. Do it when child is very stuffed up. And before bedtime may be helpful too. Usually about 5-6 times a day max. If you do it too much the nasal passages become irritated and become more blocked.

Day 5 is usually the peak of the cold..so should be getting better soon. As long as it doesn't become a wheezy cough, should be ok. If that happens and child looks like having a lot of difficulty, bring him back to the doc.
s

Ning, my boy was around 13 mths CA when he used the nebulizier. It's ventolin and flixtode. One is a preventive medication (flixtode) and one is to help open his airway (ventolin). After nebbing him, we got to pat him to clear the congestion. My PDs didn't want to start him on antibiotics so nebulizing seems better. Subsequenly, we bought a chamber to puff him ourselves whenever he fall sick due to chesty cough.

Onefish/lilac - I think KK didn't give neubilizer or the med to help with secretion cos my baby only CA 4 mths.

I use the pigeon aspirator twice a day , Max 3 times.

David - thanks for the tips , will try tonight.

This teaches me a lesson, nv let my guard down... Even if baby only stays at home . Hope all other preemies mummies n daddies stay vigilant !

ning, my daughter caught a pretty bad cold at 3mos CA. She was nebulized and given the decongestant med. I think it depends on the dr on call. Probably means your baby isn't that sick..which is good!

I was under the impression that no med can be given due to his young age. I certainly hope you are right n his condition will improve soon. Pains us to see him suffer.

Just sucked out some mucus using the aspirator. Hopes he sleeps better. Thanks all for the helpful responses. Really appreciate it

Hi ning,
My twins especially my boy-twin is always in and out of hospital from discharge. CA now at 13.5mths but after their discharge from KK once they reached 2kg at CA 1month, it was always in kk for cough/flu/mucus. KK said nothing to be done really....so always suction and suction. We were in KK almost every month once...cos so hard not to catch the virus....only can try to prevent...but still got it cos they are weak to start off with. But since they turn 1 yrs old, it got better. They dun fall sick so often and i am not sure is it because they eat more solid food too.

Twins just got sick last week again, same stuff, cough/phlegm..lots of phlegm. So we did 1x suction at KK A&E, cos when twins get cough, they wheeze. So we always send them to KK for puffs and make sure they get off the wheezing..but phlegm always take 1 week to recover. But now, they are on Flumicil to remove the phlegm...so far, quite effective. Prescribed by neotalist Dr Khoo...i know you can get them from Pharmacy, but better check with doctor first.

We have handy the Ventolin puff to help with the wheezing and loosing up the phlegm... i think the nose drops will make baby feel better also.

Hope my experience gives you some light...

Thanks keann for taking time to share

All info r appreciated n we will take note... Even for future reference (touch wood)
His appetite better today, so hopefully he can slowly increase back to his original milk volume

Weather so cold....not exactly the best temp to recover fr flu

Hi Ning,

Think is the weather lately. My elder twin also keep on sneezing. I swaddle him to keep him warm but he very uncomfortable and fussy especially during sleep. Think this few days I off the fan and just the window open and he don't sneeze do much. Then I give him nose drop to clear his nose.
Hope ur baby get well soon.

hey mummies and daddies

i need some advice. recently been diagnosed with a tumour in the placenta and the growth is agressive, within 4 weeks it's already half the size of bb, bb is now 25 weeks and 1kg. there's a high possibility that we may have to opt to have bb taken out as early as week 29-32. I would like to know what are the common problems as parents you face handling a premature at week 29. bb is otherwise healthy at the moment and of good weight.

Hi babymaking

Sorry to hear about that.
Having 2 premature babies myself. My babies are borned 28weekers in August. Twin 1 is home and Twin 2 is still in Hospital. My take is let the baby stay in the womb as long as possible but not compromising your safety. Premature birth is a lot of challenges but even a day extra in the womb do make a difference. If you could deliver at week 32 do try to do that as my 28 weekers need CPAP and prone to infection due to long hospital stay. Compare to some 32 weekers, most already can breathe room air well and just need to gain weight and learn bottling to go home. It does make a difference in the long term. Though it is easier say than done, if no choice have to give birth at 29 weeks, you will be glad to know the survival rate of 25 weeker is quite good and there are some healthy 25weekers mummies and daddies here which can share their experience with you. No worries and less stress will naturally help you much in delivering a healthy baby. All is in God's hand and I pray you will have a smooth and healthy delivery. Take care.

thank you laww for quick reply.

May i know what is the weight of your twins and do they have any pre existing conditions while in the womb that require them to have need cpap after birth?

My #1 was mildly premature at 35weeks and even then he had low sugar and didn;t breath at birth, requiring resuc and luckily only 1 day nicu care with breathing tube.

so yes, i worry at having to bring #2 out even earlier.

Hi Babymaking,

Twin 1 is 1280 and Twin 2 is 1180
Actually both cried when born and they put on CPAP but 21% oxygen only. No pre existing conditions but caught Rotavirus, tummy infection and MRSA in their 3 months stay. Baby will be fine, dun worry too much. You have to balance out your own health and dun too worried about prematurity. You have a #1 so ur health is also important, can tahan try to tahan longer and really bo bian then dun worry too much. The hospital in Singapore NICU quite advance.

Hi babymaking,

LAWW is right. Tahan the baby inside as long as u can. Even a day more is a bonus. My twins were born at 25 weeks and in the end I still brought home 2 beautiful babies but after 3 long agonizing months hospital stay and they been thru the toughest journey of their lives.

The care in nicu is good but frankly you won't know what to expect as every baby warrior fought different battles. Of course there some lucky ones who simply breeze thru.

If u can tahan till 28 weeks, your baby will many much better chance.

Good luck and take care!

hi babymaking, sorry to hear about the tumour. Is it a beign tumour? Hope that all will end well . Agree with the rest, if possible, try to keep baby in for as long as possible. But sometimes, if the environment in the womb is no longer ideal, then the outside world might be better. My boy was born at 28 weeks and weighed 1.089 kg. Stayed in hopsital for 78 days. The first few mths was not easy.... even after discharged, had to return to KKH for reviews and assessment. Very thankful that he is doing very well now at 2 yrs old. Abit on the small side, falls sick when there is someone in the family who is sick. But am thankful that he is doing well in most aspects. You take care and remember that you are not alone in this journey. Those who are here have been or are going through caring for a premmie. So just give a shout-out if you need support.

Hi Babymaking,

Sorry to hear about your condition. Do discuss with your gynea about the possibility of steroid injection to mature your bb's lung in the event if early delivery is required.

My girl was 26 weekers at 590gram and she stayed for 135 days in KKH with a fair bit of challenges.

Please think positive and be strong, ask the mighty one for his strength & wisdom.

Dear babymaking,

Am going to echo what other daddies n mummies said, try keep baby as long as possible in the womb. But do not compromise your own health. Discuss with your Gynae n the neonatologist. My baby was born at 26 weeks at 910g, stayed in hospital for 4 months. He had hernia surgery n caught viruses in hospital as well. Different preemies have different challenges, some might had to go thru surgery during their stay. Let us know if you need people to talk to.

Hope you m baby will be fine n healthy.

Dear babymaking,

Sorry to hear about the tumor
sad.gif
1 kg seems like a very good weight for a 25 weeker.

I had twins at 29 weeks. T1 had prolonged pprom, so I won't discuss his issues and long hospital stay here.

T2 was 1.32kg at birth, intubated at birth for surfactant administration. Ventilated for 1 day, went to CPAP 21% O2 after that. Apnea on and off for 5 weeks, requiring CPAP therapy for that period. Jaundice, requiring light therapy for a few days. One minor surgery for hernia. Stayed in Special Care nursery for 2 weeks to learn how to eat from a bottle. Discharged after ~58 days in hospital. No real challenges after that, apart from one bad cold requiring nebulization and a lot of worrying. Now a happy chunky toddler at 17 months corrected age.

If your baby is born <32 weeks though, I suggest being careful about respiratory infections for the first year - 18 months, because their lungs are less developed than full term infants.

You may already be advised to look into hospitals with good NICU facilities in Singapore. Good luck and stay strong.

Thank you Laww, bubbly, lilac, david and onefish for sharing your experiences, you are strong mummies and daddies to cope with such a challenge.

so basically as long as bb is born premature before 30 weeks, whether he or she has pre-existing conditions or not, the bb will need to be on CPAP at the very minimum?

do anyone know if the bb is born after 32 weeks - what are the chances that bb will need to be on CPAP? or at which week can bb breathe on his own?

lilac
it's unknown whether the tumour is benign or not, will only know after the pathology report when the thing is out.

david
thks abt the reminder for the steroid jab, we had that for #1 as well.

Re whether baby <30 weeks needs CPAP: I've seen a few babies who breathe room air on their own after the first 1-5 days..but those are the minority. So yes, I think a baby under 30 weeks would need some CPAP, or more intervention honestly.

36 or 37 weeks is the cutoff most doctors use for mature respiratory systems in neonates. Anything under that has the possibility of needing some respiratory support. But the higher the gestational age, the better the odds of needing less support. 34-35 is a much safer bet in terms of not needing CPAP. The step below CPAP is the nasal cannula - a thin tube that delivers a small amount of oxygen to the baby's nostrils.

Usually babies can come off O2 support closer to their due date..when they are chronologically 36-38 weeks gestation. so even if your baby needs respiratory support, its usually not for very long.

(disclaimer: I'm not a doctor nor am I medically trained. I'm sharing my experience as a parent who's spent a long time in KKH NICU/SCN. Please seek the advice of your doctor if you have any queries regarding the above.)

Hi Everyone,

Can I check with you'll, how many times does the doctor do ROP check on your baby?

Mine has done it 4 times and the results are good everytime and he wants to do another one.

I think we would like to request for him to stop doing the test as there is no issues the last 4 times and wondering why there is a need for a 5th time.

Appreciate your comments based on your experience or knowledge.

Thank You. Much appreciated.

Hi Suda,

After baby was discharged, first eye check was 1 week later. That check shows ROP2 n partially 3. The next eye check was 2 weeks later. The check shows ROp 2, m regressing trend... So next Appt 2 months later. Just went for the Appt shows ok, n next Appt 3 mths later.

They say still must monitor , not only for rop but also for other eye issues such as short sightedness

Hi Sudan,

If I recall correctly, even when baby has zero ROP, the eye checks are done fortnightly until the baby reaches his original EDD. But if baby has ROP, then eye checks will be done weekly until ROP is totally resolved. I understand that such prompt and regular checks are necessary because ROP will turn worse very suddenly and quickly and early detection and treatment is important. For my babies' cases, my son's ROP condition for both eyes fluctuated almost every week while my girl's went from zero ROP to stage 1, yo-yo to stage 2 and finally resolved after she turned CA 1 month old.

Once ROP is resolved, the checks will step down to half yearly to assess if baby has other issues like squinty eyes, lazy eyes etc. If all ok, the next appointment will be a year later and doc will discharge baby if all goes well.

It may seems a hassle to check so frequently and it is also heart wrenching to see our warriors' eyes being pry open during checks but the docs are doing what's best for our warriors.

Hope my input helps and your warrior's eyes remain ROP free!

Cheers!

Hi, Suda,

Hope everything is well for you and family.

The rop checks are done very regularly and even after discharge, my son had been checked by the eye centre until recently he was discharged. My own personal take is that its better to be more cautious on our preemie's development..Yes,I know that its heartache to see them subject to such rigorous tests but just think thats its for their own healthy development. My son had ROP Grade 3 the exact zone I cant remember and he was checked very strictly and i wld be lying if i said after every check i m not worried.But after years of checks (believe me, it wun be so intrusive as time goes by), our preemies would be okay.

agree with ningn that we hv to check our preemies' eye sight for any eye issues. My son was suspected to have astigmatism and was monitored closely and given assurance that for children's level of astigmatism would fluctuate and would stabilise when the child is bigger.

Babymaking,
hope that the growth is benign. With facilities so advanced in singapore, preemies develop well too even those who are extreme prem. I started this thread when my son was born premature at 24weeks five years ago. He is now 5 and generally ok and agree with the mummies that every day in mummy's womb would be better and increase the chances of baby's viability and health.

My personal opinion is whether the child is on cpap for how long or wat ever is not really important now.To me, I think just hope that your baby is safe inside you and if need be take the jab that would help to develop baby's lungs if the situation calls for baby to be out.

if there is anythg you would want to discuss and need help, do drop us a line here or u can pm me.

cheers.

Back