Premature babies support group

laww(eedaddy),

Good morning!!so nice to see your cheerful babies' pictures in the morning..really cheers me up...good job..they are looking good...and they are smiling becuz they getting good attention from the nurses
happy.gif

what the nurse said is right....in hospitals especially in nicu, alot of handling of babies is done and this increases the chance of them getting mrsa..but rest assure that in kkh this is the best as it gets as the attention given is first class...with better rest and a conducive environment..think the only thg you need to do now is to get ready to bring them back!!!
happy.gif

ningn is right,your babies will be isolated till they are discharged..which means they get this level of care till discharged...and they will not be with non mrsa babies in the same room

laww, very cute! Is that your older boy? Yep, the nurses in isolation tend to be rotated from NICU side, and less often from SCN side. This means you won't get the fresh trainees looking after your babes. Good that they are both in the same room..no need to go back and forth.

Another update/brag from me.. my boy took his first wobbly steps yesterday! At 15.5 mos CA..
happy.gif

Hi Ning & bubbly_me,

Thanks for the compliments. Lots of nurses say the babies look like daddy. Cute hor...So shy...heheh...joking...
Yup the nurse says they will move out to SCN or straight home depending on the status of the babies.

Hi costa,

Thanks for your assurance. Your post in 2007 Aug really lessen my worries after I receive the 6384 xxxx call. They say have to check with doctor and that the baby have caught a infection. I need to go down to MRSA at night so was worried sick. After posting on SMH, further assurance from onefish, ning and you do set my mind at ease. Thanks all super mommies.

Hi onefish.

Thanks. Yup. That is Evan. My lao da. The nurses there are really great.
Great to hear about your son's progress. When your son and daughter start to run all around, you will be super tired. The dancing of your daughter to the lantern music upon thinking of it now always make me laugh. So cute and sociable..Must convince my wife to give me a girl girl next time. hush hush...
I also update/brag..hehe My 2 boys try latch on for the first time today and both suck until face red red but drinking great. Do not know have desat during sucking or not as they unplug all the wires to bring the babies to a corner and screen off. But is pink and reddish so i reckon not.

To all KKH mummies and daddies,

Just a recap. If your child or children is send to SCN and MRSA the following day. Do not worry too much. Preemies as they stayed too long in NICU or hospital. They might catch a mild infection which can be detected by using a swap. If result is positive, they will be move to MRSA SCN and apply lotion and test again on the 5th day. If still have and continue treatment until next 5 days and try again. When they are healed, they might leave MRSA SCN to SCN or home depending on the babies progress. Dun me too gan cheong like me.

Thanks David.
Hope all warriors will grow up to be kind and compassionate as what they had been treated with and most important of all happy and healthy.

laww(eedaddy),

You are one of the super daddies on this board...think number three....besides David and another daddy...

Thanks and I agree with you and hope that our kids will pay it forward with the level of kindness they had been shown..

Hope that all nicu/scn babies can be discharged soon!!!

Wow, haven't been back on this thread for a really long time!
Costa/ David, good to see you still active here!

My twin boy and girl are CA 12.5 months now (born 25 weeks, at 720g)...going thru all the emotional threads by all the mummies and daddies here, almost seems like only yesterday my baby in NICU. They are about 9.5kg now, and growing slowly. Happy to see them crawling all around, definately forgetting the pain we went thru last year!

Jia you to all the preemies and their mummies/daddies...i am sure they will pull thru! Even after NICU/SCN, we were in and out of KKH almost every month due to breathing issues...once they get cough/flu, they get wheezy. But now, we haven't been back warded since June, so tat's great progress for us! Our ride with the twins was tough, but now just watching them grow bigger and taller is enough to make it all worthwhile!

Jia You Jia You!

Hi all!

I'm very new here, but this is the best forum to share my joy and concerns about my newborn!

I gave birth to a baby girl last Monday (turning 1 week tomorrow) at 30 weeks at KKH! She has been in the NICU for 1 week and just got transferred to the SCN just today. I am really happy about her progress despite being a preemie! She's really active.

But just a question, is there a restricted visiting timing at the SCN over at KKH?

Amy,

Sounds like your girl is doing very well for her gestational age! Hopefully she'll breeze through SCN and be home in no time.

The official visiting hours are something like 12-2 and 6-8. However SCN is quite accommodating about parents, esp mothers coming in to practice breastfeeding and bottlefeeding their baby. As long as you are not disruptive to nurse duties and doctor's rounds, I've found that SCN staff are quite happy to let mummy/daddy hold the baby for hours on end.

I've personally stayed in SCN with my daughter for 5-6 hours a day. You could try e.g. visiting at 12 and just extending your visit out an hour or two.

onefish,

Thank you so much. I've always thought the visiting hours at SCN was 12-2 and 6-8 too. She's still a little underweight, however her feeding did increase.

This is an exciting experience because I am a first time mother, and I know breastfeeding is a commitment, but it is going to be worth the experience.

Thank you for the reply!
happy.gif

tigger,

thanks for the url..i read it on the internet and it's very inspiring ...

keann,

im stil here but not so active like last time ..
glad to hear that everything is going on well for you and your family..

amy,

scn hours are flexible (i think)..and we do welcome you here and also please post any queries you have here..we see what we can do to help answer..

Hi Everyone,

May I know if it's necessary to get a car seat for bb when she's discharged? She has quite a number of follow-up appointments too. Can we carry her throughout the whole journey?

Hi Kelly, I carried my baby home when he was discharged. But for subsequent follow up visits to KK, I put him in an infant car seat. I believe you can bring your car seat to KK if u wish to try or test. A lot depends on the size of your baby when discharged too.

Hi Kelly ,
For the first trip home baby was way too small hence I carried her in my arms, but subsequently managed to fit her into car seat. Better to put in car seat if possible as that is safer.

Yup Kelly there are different sizes for car seats.
I used an infant car seat which is for infants till at most 12 months I think.

Sleek- I never hear of that equipment but your friend can try asking at the local medela service centre - Add is 81 TOH GUAN RD EAST #03-01 SECOM CENTRE. Or u can call 65626298

Hi Sleek

Like to check if your friend has any breast milk?
The item is to induced BM for mothers which adopted a child so the body is not producing BM. Using the SNS will trigger a hormonal change that will enhance milk production. If your friend has natural BM, I think do not need that device. She should see a lacatation nurse if the supply is low. Seeing the lacatation nurse should helps and is free in KKH

If you are still looking to buy though, I think Ning is right, asking the local medela distributor will be your best bet.

Hi all mummies and daddies

My elder twin is suspected to have gotten NEC.
I am rushing down to KKH right now.
Please pray for my son that it is not NEC.

laww,

stay strong and be positive, am sure all other mummies and daddies here will be praying for your son!

speak to your son and encourage him to stay strong, he can hear you and he will be well.

u and your wife take care now!

Eedaddy, hang in there. Your baby is in the good hands of a team of good doctors. Be there for your wife too, I understand the fear and anxiety ... Will pray for your little warrior

Jia you

Thanks costa, bubbly_me and Ning.

Status update.
They have done a Xray and no sign of nec. Will do a series of Xray. Aspirates still greenish. They have done a lab test on the stool and found positive for Rotavirus.
Baby is isolated now to prevent the rotavirus from spreading. Rotavirus, doctor say might lead to NEC so have to stop feed and given antibiotics.. He now has IV on the left hand and left foot. Given blood transfusion due to the blood test which need to draw blood. Boy is still smiling but I know he is in pain due to all the needles. The nurse gave him a "Nee tu" to suckle so he happily sucking unknowing all the Drs and nurses busy around him. Hope he get well soon and is not NEC.

Thank you all for the well wishes and praying. Hope he get well soon

Jia you eedaddy, eemummy and eebabies!

I can totally understand the anxiety. Last week was told that my bb might have an infection and needs to be isolated. Rrsults took a couple of days as it was over weekend. Very heartpain tt she needs to have needles poked into her. Thankfully it was nothing serious.

Sincerely hoping it's just a false alarm for you and babies can go home soon!

Laww,

I just only saw your message and missed call (no batt). Hang in there! Praying very hard for your boy's quick recovery. Sounds like drs are on top of things and taking the right precautions to help him get better.

Speaking from my child's experience, gut rest + IV fluids help them get over GI bugs very fast.. my boy was better in 1 day, vs my girl who had diarrhea for one week..

Thinking of you and your little family.

Hi eedaddy,

I just read your message and I was thinking of the anguish that you and your wife are going through. I was however comforted by the fact that your baby does not have NEC.

I will pray for your son that he recovers from the infection and in the meantime, stay strong and positive, I know its easy to say, but you need to get the positive vibes out there so that if there is anything negative, it gets killed by the positive vibes and also it encourages your baby to fight through.

Please take care and keep us updated. I am sure your baby will recover fast.

Stay strong and positive! take care.

Hi Ning and Suda,
Thanks. He is brave and his smile makes my heart ache. I am really willing to be the one suffering instead of him if there is a choice. I will stay positive and hope all goes great.

Hi Kelly,
Glad is a false alarm for your baby. These are things which are really emotionally stress for us parents. Just the night before smiling and happily sucking down a bottle of milk and the next day, green aspiration and stop feeding totally with all the needles in him. Hope he get well soon and is a false alarm for the NEC.

Hi onefish,
Thank you very much. Your twins have also travelled a long way and your journey has always been inspirational to me and my wife. Your boy and girl is doing great now and I hope my boys with all these ups and downs will be great in 1 to 2 years time like your twins. Your hubby should be back already? Your babies must be happy with addition of daddy playing with them.

Hope all preemies babies will turn out great!

A pair of walkers for sale.
$40 for 2 walkers or $20 for 1 walker.
Adjustable height and removable front toy!

Good condition and clean.
Just washed/ laundry so ready to use.

PM me now!

6105580.jpg

6105581.jpg

6105582.jpg

Hi onefish

Thanks for the thought. The nurse actually caught green asprite last thursday. On last friday morning they did Xray and blood test. Both shows no sign of Nec. On Friday night, they did another xray and still shows ok. Stool shows Rotavirus positive.So waiting for blood culture result but they treat it like nec with drips and antibiotics. Stop feed and baby is restless. On monday morning they did another Xray and the blood culture both turns out ok. Since saturday asprite has bit of greenish tint but yellowish with some brown clots. They resume feed on monday night after the xray shows ok with 5ml. Today add to 10ml. Baby still restless and not passing motion yet but nurse says that his stomache might be empty so I just continue to pray that he will get better soon.

Younger son still have transient desat off and on. The boy beside my younger son just got informed that need operation for hernia. So these few days have a few sleepless night and quite upset of the development emotionally. I did my best to comfort the mummy and daddy of the boy going for hernia operation but yet deep within I understand what they are going through. One moment the child is happy and next day all might change... I pray that my children and the boy will get well soon. All preemies will turn out great.

Eedaddy, Jiayou! Things will be well. I have faith in the preemies. They are stronger than we think.

A friend of mine shared this. Thought it was so beautiful.
Twin girls, Brielle and Kyrie, were born 12 weeks ahead of their due date. Needing intensive care, they were placed in separate incubators.

Kyrie began to gain weight and her health stabilized. But Brielle, born only 2 lbs, had trouble breathing, heart problems and other complications. She was not expected to live.

Their nurse did everything she could to make Brielle’s health better, but nothing she did was helping her. With nothing else to do, their nurse went against hospital policy and decided to place both babies in the same incubator.

She left the twin girls to sleep and when when she returned she found a sight she could not believe. She called all the nurses and doctors and this is what they saw (refer to the picture above).

As Brielle got closer to her sister, Kyrie put her small little arm around her, as if to hug and support her sister. From that moment on, Brielle’s breathing and heart rate stabilized and her health became normal.

From then on, they decided to keep both babies together, because when they were together they kept each other alive.
6118947.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Like to find out what formula do you give to your bb after they discharge? My friend's preemie bb is having constipation after drinking Neosure. What would be suitable replacement? I will probably be in the same shoes as her soon as my milk supply is not enough for bb. BB's suckling is quite weak so guess I have to keep expressing.

Also, my bb seem to have a lot of wind in the stomach and pass out a lot of gas. Is it because the ebm is not warmed up enough? I use hot water to heat it up as suggested by Bloom. Or is it because she's taking in too much wind while drinking?

My bb takes a very long time to burp and sometimes don't even burp. Or she might have burped but I can't quite differentiate as she grunts a lot so i missed it. She does puke out some milk sometimes. Is it ok for me to stop if she doesn't burp after 10 mins? Quite tiring...

Thanks in advance.

eedaddy,

hows everythg with your babies ?hope that all's well..your words really echo our feelings as parents, we really hope to be the ones who are suffering instead of them...

kelly,
thanks for your sharing...my son took neosure as well and bm after discharge from hospital...he din burp very often last time and took soooo long to finish his milk that i can fall asleep fm feeding him....this was even after i took off his feeding tube...

Kelly,

my girl was discharged on Neosure, switched to Similac Step 1 soon after. She was quite constipated on Similac. At 1 yr adjusted we switched to S16 and her stooling is much improved..

just my experience.

during the newborn stage I usually burped her (patted her back) for 10-15 mins..if she didnt burp by then I would then put her down.

LAWW,
My bb was also suspected to have NEC after a rather bad desat and she was put back on IV after stopping all feeds. Though they were not sure that it was indeed NEC, but she was treated for NEC and came out ok. Hope your bb comes out of it fine too!

Kelly,
Thanks for sharing the beautiful and inspiring story. Reg burping, my bb also used to take long to burp and patting her back didn't help at all. So I would just hold her upright and walk around and she'd burp. Now at 20 weeks CA, I just make her sit up after a feed and she burps within seconds. I hold a container in front of her when doing this in case she throws up, hehe!
happy.gif

Mommies and Daddies,
Sharing my little warrior's progress after today's KK visit. At CA 20 weeks, she has reached 10th percentile for height and weight. The bleed in her brain has gotten smaller and they will do another scan on it after 3 months. Seeing cardiologist next week for the hole in her heart. Generally, we are thankful that our baby is making good progress. PS: She smiles and sings a lot! So heartwarming for us after seeing her in the NICU for so long.

Jia you, all mommies and daddies, as our warriors fight on!

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the well wishes. Elder boy has increase feed to 20ml today. No pass motion until these evening when the nurse stuff medicine into his anus. Then I left the isolation room to carry see my younger boy when i see he got desat and SP02 goes until 30++ only. Heart rate drop until 50++. Nurse pinch his feet and he cried out and recover back. Then I attempt to carry him then desat again. I ask if the nurse can put him on prone as the book given to me by onefish did indicate that A&B will be better if put on prone and no desat after that.. Felt quite demoralised and decide to go home and went back to the isolation room to see my elder boy before go home. Then machiam like pervert, I pull a bit open his diaper and, boy,I was so happy He has pass motion. I think this is the first time I am so happy to see shit.
So today go home smiling happily :) Should have take some shit home as souvernier.:p

Hi Kelly

I observe that the formula KKH is giving the premature babies is of the brand Similac. But it indicate for preterm only. I guess if the baby tolerate Similac formula in KKH, they should tolerate Similac milk better.

kelly, i sometimes slowly switch my burping position from holding the chin to over shoulder. i will hold baby in a upright position as much as possible to keep the milk down.

anyone's baby going home soon and is ard 2-2.5kg? I have some brand new preemie clothes. my baby stayed longer in hospital than expected and outgrew the clothes b4 he could wear them. just PM me ok.

Viman - great to hear that your baby is doing well! i love seeing my baby smile too, makes us really happy.

Eedaddy - jia you jia you! you are really a brave & caring daddy, ur babies will be happy to have your encouragement daily
happy.gif

Hello Everyone,
been a while since I logged on here.

Regards to David, how's Dana doing these days ?

Kelly,
my boys are on Neosure & EBM. Notice that Neosure is more 'heaty' and my twin 2 whom had Reflux issue had severe constipation for a period of time. Though Dietician didn't allow, I follow the Chinese Physician recommendation to add an additional 10ml of water to each feed when neccessary. Example 120ml feed which is 2 scoop of Neosure. I added another 10ml of water to 130ml. Neosure is high in it's contents and adding 10ml of water does no harm according to her. I was worry but after trying alternate feeds adding more water. My boy improved and recovered. Though he didn't poo daily like his elder brother. Alternate days is good enough for me.

Lastly, for the last 1 month, I been adding 10ml to every feeds . Today at corrected age 5 months old. My twin 1 is 7.8kg and twin 2 is at 7kg. Twin 2 is lighter due to milk strike lately as he was having fever due to teething discomfort. Thought he is teething so early but was fault alarm. Saw white spots on his gums only.

I'm switching and trying out Friso stage 2 soon. Dieticians recommended Similac but I find it too sweet. Hence, not giving it to the boys.

Viman,

glad to hear your babe is doing so well! 5 months is a really cute age.

eedaddy,

if your boy is resuming feeds and passing motion then it sounds like he's getting back to normal. Hope he will get back to full feeds and that its all smooth sailing from here on out. Desats are scary but they do resolve with time.. hang in there.

My daughter has taken to saying "I love you, Mummy mummy..I love you!" She's also been singing a bunch of songs - twinkle twinkle little star, baa baa black sheep, and A is for apple etc until Z. And requesting "elmo shong!" on youtube. :p And lastly, I'm sooo glad she's finally holding her own bottle. Only took her 15 months or so to learn that!

Hi ning.

Thanks. Brave front outside only. Inside me I cried like little girl. hehe. But as the babies got better, as parents, we also felt happier. I guess must be because of my elder son these few days cause me to be rather moody which somehow cause my younger son to has more desat. Parents of preemies must be happy and positive so that their babies can feel it and grow healthier and better. I tried it so speaking from experience.

Hi onefish.

Thanks. By the way you remember the book on premature? I photostat the 2 page on hernia and pass it to the parents of the boy beside my younger twin. They got to know what is it and felt so relieved after that. Can see from their face they really not so worried after they knew what procedures will be done and how is done. Really happy that all things start to turn better.
I pray that my 2 boys and their neighbours can get better soon. All preemies will turn out great!!

eedaddy,
there were some books at nicu library (breastfeeding room) last time which you can borrow to read ..wonder if the books can still be borrowed?you can ask the nurses in charge

hmm, can understand how your boy's neighbouring kid's parents feel..maybe get them to come here and join our preemie family here if they hv time...

Hi all,

If your child is born in KK, can join the KK Junior Club (free membership for 1 yr), then you will be able to borrow books/magazines/VCDs from the Patient Education Centre near Macs :>

Hi Chewy,
Danya is doing well but eating/chewing and weight gain still need to work on. Her weight is only 10.3kg for a 31 mths(AA) toddler. She had her first constipation which we brought her back to KKH walk-in clinic last week. Due to her past intestine issue, a rectal wash out was performed. This procedure traumatizes her badly which is so painful from me to watch. She has now developed phobia about changing diaper when she soil. Well, seems like another ground zero for us to restart again. Please see her recent pic.
6123673.jpg
6123674.jpg

david,

your girl is really adorable...very loveable and very tall...

hope that her intestine issue can be resolved soon

Back