Premature babies support group

Hi WH,

Thanks again for the supplement link and also the books recommended. Just place my order last week.

Hi WH, Costa & Ning,

I whole heartedly agree with all of you. Being a premmie parent is never easy. This journey has made me a better person in many ways. I live even stronger so I can spend more wonderful moment with my wife & my girl. I still worry for my girl in many ways just like every mummies & daddies here. Every worry will charge me up to fight even harder against all the odds.

To all the new mummies/daddies in this forum,

Never ask why this happen as you will never find an answer. Give your best and just fight against all odds as hard as you can without any regrets. Think positive, have faith in our little one, have faith in the mighty one. Fight Hard, Fight Brave, Fight Strong.

Hi Costa,
Your boy having issue with fine motor or big motor skills?
I intend to put my girl on some kids gym soon as she cant really jump/run yet. PD told us to be patient as she start to walk only at 22mths and children learnt best thru playing.

Halo Xiaowanzi,
You are welcome. How’s your boy flu now? Whenever my girl kenna flu. I’ll feed her Zrytec drop for 3-5 days… will only see a PD if no improvement… so far it always works for her… :p but do ask your PD or read up on the allergy notes if you intend to try.. I got my PD green light before trying… Oh we also feed her sambucol even during her flu days, but not to mix with other medi.
My girl issue is she can talk and name any things she sees but don’t know how to request/ communicate her needs. Or we didn’t let/train her to let her communicate bcoz we always fulfill her needs before she request…
Hannen really helps us a lot on these area. Recently she will ask for things and We are adding language to her everyday’s routine.

Hi Ning,
Thanks for sharing the lovely story.
Rdgs to small cyst in kidney am unable to advice. But is your baby ok beside this? Eating/poo/ sleeping… ok? How old is your lil one now?

Hi Suda,
Welcome to the thread. My girl was also on MCT oil and upon discharged. But stopped when she was 5-6mths old. Now she is still underweight so they put her on carbories also for weight gain.
Hubby always joke that if only our fats can be transfer to her….

Hi Julbee,
My girl rejected night feed when she was 6mths old. People told me to do “dream feed” but it does not work on my girl… she is very alert. She prefer to sleep than eat. So instead of declaring war every night with her… we let her be.. as she refused to open her mouth when she’s asleep. So what we do now is for the last feed of the day we will feed her an extra 10% so to last thru the nite.
FYI.. My girl was drinking very slowly when she was on NUK for the 1st few mth. We switch her to pigeon and she finish within 15min.. we tried a few approach before finding the solutions.

Hi David,
You are welcome. Glad you found the link useful.
My girl will be going to school next year. Joining the 2008 year batch she will be the youngest. Any plans for your lil one?

Hi WH,

I am still kind of hysterical about infection from her last episode which she almost stop breathing. We will only send her to a short hour play group when she reach 3YO. Currently, my wife is doing a wonderful job teaching my girl.

Hi WH, my baby AA 5 mths , CA 2 mths.
He just came home not long ago and is gaining weight well.
Feeding ok so far, he also prefers sleeping to feeding. But I will wake him for feeds at night. He has Chronic lungs disease so we dun bring him out except for follow ups at kkh. But my elder child is in nursery n is always sneezing n coughing ... Really hard to keep them apart. He still have some follow up with cardiac depr, hearing test to do n post surgery follow up, hopefully all will be fine.

We have follow up in kkh soon, hopefully can find out more abt the cyst fr the doctor.

Just embarking on the journey... Hope to be as strong as the "seasoned " daddies n mummies here ! Hopefully one day I will be the one sharing my story at kkh support grp for Preemie parents.

Hi Suda

I can't remember the size of PDA. She's coming 34 weeks when operation (her weight then is about 1.95kg, but i heard that smaller babies has been through the operation also.) is done. She's borne at 32 weeks. Not much weight is lost. The surgeon, hers is the Japanese doctor will tell u all the risks involved and percentage. It's quite frightening to hear but all risk percentage is low.

If the operation has to be performed, it just have to be done. The cardiac doctor advised me against 2nd dose cos her PDA quite big and he says too much medication will affect functions of lung or kidney (can't rem).

After operation done, i remember she's discharged within a week. Should round 2-3 days in NICU, then to special care unit. Also, the baby will be drowsy for the 1st day, she will be given painkiller (injection), feeding is done through tube. The baby will have lots of tube and monitors on when she's pushed out of the operating theatre.

After operation, everything is normal; from bathing the baby to feeding. need to go back for follow cardiac check up (not often).

Hi mummies and daddies,

Anyone here who send your warriors to baby gym classes? Am contemplating sending mine so hoping to gather some feedback.

Thanks!

Hi WH,

Thank you for welcoming me to the thread.

My girl's weight has been stagnant at 830 for the past few days and today she just added an additional 10. The MCT has been increased for 1.0 and the feeds has also been increased. With all additional boost, we are hoping she will put on more weight faster.

She is now in week 30 and is pretty slow in putting on weight and thus we are encouraging her to sleep well and conserve energy for her fast growth. =)

Thank you again for welcoming me. =)

Hi David,

My girl is born in Dec 2008. Come Dec she will be 3YO. But when school start on 01 Jan. She's joining the 4YO class... this is her 1st time in school (without parents round) she will be joining N2 class for abt 2-3hours... only concern is her social skills... let see how. no point worrying for something that hd not happen.

Hi Ning,
I hv a niece who is turning 6 this yr. and very close with my girl, they enjoyed each other accompany... same issue. she will bring back those virus. I hv to boost my girl immune & keep reminding my nieces to watch her hands...

Hi bubbly_me,
How old is your lil one now? i did send my girl to Baby gym before she was one. as alot of her motor skills were very weak then, for eg. she doent know how to open her palm to hold things... after 6mths. when she did her review again. she passed all. I think that did help. We sign up one that required both physical and mental. She was very good at monkey bar & memory skills..

Hi Suda,
Gaining weight is good news. My girl was loosing weight at some point... so it liked stock price... some days up someday down..
sad.gif

david,
u are a super dad and glad that danya is enjoying her mummy's teachings

wh,
my son has abit of pblems wif his fine motor skills, maybe like me, he has poor handwriting haha...glad yr girl's motor skills are gd

bubbly me,
i din send my kid for any gym classes but let him go to the playground to play quite often to improve his gross motor skills...i try to bring him swimming but many times, he goes overboard and played too much and thus fell sick..

ning,
u wld have yr chance to do coffee afternoons soon to do sharing with other parents haha if u can spare the time...

suda,
gd if you can join the coffee afternoon session to hear more from the preemie parents and also try to learn more fm the nurses and doctors whilst yr bb is still in hospital..tis knowledge wld stand u in gd stead at home
happy.gif

Hi mummies and daddies,

May I know where to purchase bottle caps for the glass bottles for EBM?
Some or rather most of the metal caps I got are a bit rusty.

Thanks

Eedaddy, I got most of mine from mount Alvernia hospital. 10 caps for $7.60. I heard TMC sells them too but am not sure of the prices.

Alternatively, u can try to post under the want to buy section in this forum.

Hi all, been MIA from thread for awhile. Just wanted to update on my girl @ CA 15 months. She said the entire alphabet all by herself last night! I'm so proud
happy.gif
Can also count to 12, say "yellow" and tell you to "don't do that!"

My boy is coming along also: says ball, book and up
happy.gif

Hi all,

Haven't check in for a while. Seems like most premmies here are given MCT oil. I don't think my baby is given any. Guess I'll check with the nurses.

Baby is now AA 5 weeks (born at 28 weeks). Anyone knows what is the weight that she should be now?

The bottle caps I bought in SGH cost $1.20 each. How come Mt A is so much cheaper?

Is it necessary to buy Angelcare Monitor? My bb is still in the incubator now. Is it a bit early to decide on this?

Would it be necessary to buy air purifier as well?

Cheers,
Kelly

Hi ningn,
thanks for the info. Will go there on saturday to get 20 pcs.

Hi onefish,
So cute. Really motivated by all the strong mommies and daddies of preemies out there. Hope my turn will come soon when my twins start to laugh and play on the xbox with me :)

Hi Kelly,
My twins were 28weekers also. Birth weight is 1220g for elder and 1180g for younger. Now about 20 days exactly is elder 1275g and younger 1313g.
So it differs between babies even they were from the same womb. Check with the nurse and was told not on MCT oil. Just noticed my younger boy sleeping more and the elder boy active more so might used up more energy.

Yesterday was there and seeing the nurses do the suction of fluid from the elder boy. really scary. Use a tubing and machiam vacuum cleaner suck from the nose and throat. such long tubing poke about 5 cm inside his nose. wah... Know is normal and routine before feeds but just quite scary to watch. aizzz

onefishtwofish,
glad to hear yr kids r doing well..

laww,
m surprised that you were there when u saw the suction .....I thought that they try to do it when parents are not around...I was told that it may scare some of us, so i din see...

now then i saw the weight of yr twins...they are of good weight...think it wun be long before they are home....sighz..think smtimes dun see procedures better if not can really scare us..

Hi Costa.

Ya lor. I ke kiang want to see baby change diapers got poo poo or not and how it is done.
The nurse do the suction thingy. wa~~better siam next time when they do such procedures. Really will keep thinking of it when I take the train home. The PDA for my younger boy close oredi... hope dun reopen. The elder son PDA also "Qiu Zwee" shrunk from moderate to small. CPAP cycling 15 minutes failed. Guess one step at a time...

Hope all daddies and mommies can pray for the parent of a 30 weeker boy. His bed was just beside my younger boy. Just undergone intestine surgery and the parents are worried sick. I pray their son will be healthy and recover soon.

Hi Kelly, if your baby is not on mct oil , maybe it means the weight gain is satisfactory for now. I guess You can start researching on angelcare, purifier n humidifier. But dun buy yet, discuss with the docs n nurses closer to discharge date.
The Kk docs told us not necessary to buy angelcare but my elder daughter's PD encouraged us to buy ( we told him abt our preemie) we are still deciding on whether to buy air purifier ...

Onefish - happy for u too. All these milestones are so impt for parents isn't ? Keep updating... Hearing updates on the older preemies really keep us going

Eedaddy, our prayers are with you and all the preemies babies. May all our little warriors continue to fight on !

Hi All Daddies and Mummies.

Reading from archive and sometimes speaking to other parents of preemies in KKH NICU.
A question which linger most mummies especially is "Why Me?"

I come across an inspirational story of Arthur Ashe which I like to share.

Arthur Ashe, the legendary Wimbledon player was dying of AIDS which he got
due to infected blood he received during a heart surgery in 1983.
From world Over, he received letters from his fans, one of which conveyed:

•"Why does GOD have to select you for such a bad disease"?

To this Arthur Ashe replied:
•The world over –
•50 million children start playing tennis,
•5 million learn to play tennis,
•Half a million learn professional tennis,
•50,000 come to the circuit,
•5000 reach the grand slam,
•50 reach Wimbledon ,
•4 to semi final,
•2 to the finals,

When I was holding a cup I never asked GOD " Why me ?"
And today in pain I should not be asking GOD "Why me?"

Hi Ning & Laww, thanks for the info!

Laww, not sure what you meant by suction thingy? Before each feed, the nurse will use a syringe to suck out undigested milk via a green tube through her mouth. Are you referring to this? I guess SGH does it differently coz I've not seen them do it through nose.

Btw, may I know what is CPAP cycling? Haven't heard this. I think my bb haven't gone through this.

Hi Kelly.

The syringe is actually just checking for "Asprite". My spelling is most probably wrong :p
It check whether the baby digest well so they use a syringe to suck it out and check.
Suction is a different thing, which I do not wish to go into details becos it scare mummies out there. In simple terms it remove the liquid or mucus from the nose and mouth cos with Cpap, maybe with ventilator also, there might be moisture trap there and might make the baby more difficult to breath, so they perform this routine in KKH. Like costa says, normally they will not perform this routine in front of parents. Some nurse are also quite surprise I seen it. Guess I am "lucky" to see it. hehe

As for CPAP cycling, normally when the Dr feel that your bb is ready, they will put a acrylic hood over your baby head and blow oxygen in. Then they will remove the CPAP and if the baby tolerate well, meaning no desat, they will monitor and slowly wean off the BB reliance on the CPAP. Is one of the milestone preemies went through. No worries. Your bb haven't went thru this maybe becos is not ready yet as speeding to this process sometimes when the baby is not ready might cause the PDA to open or lung collapse.
It is quite rare though as normally Dr will only do it when BB are ready so trust your Dr and try not to challenge their decision.
Stay positive and all preemies wil turn out great!!

Hi Costa, would love to attend the sessions but not a possibility for me as I am currently not in Singapore. So my support is this forum and the info I can get over the net and the books I could get hold off. ;p

Kelly, The suction thing is a procedure that the nurses do both orally and through nasal to clear all residual fluid from the oral and nasal pathway to make it easier for the baby to breath properly. This happens especially when the baby is on some type of ventilation such as the CPAP.

They usually do it before they feed but from what I learned from the nurses ,it also depends on how well they are breathing, they might decide not too, so as not to irritate the baby too much. However, they mention they will do it at least once for each nurse shift.

Suda,

Hi, where are you if you dun mind me asking?which part of the world?

hmm, hopefully our chats here wif the other helpful mum and dads would be a gd source of help for you...

kelly,
laww(eedaddy) is right..the procedure you mentioned is aspirating which we as parents of children whom went home wif tube feeding have to hearn to check if the tube has reached the stomach or not..

laww(eedaddy), u are most right..normally they would not let the parents see this as its scary...

i also asked myself many times why me when i had the preemie child but now i ask myself why not me?i learnt alot from my son's five months in hospital and made valuable frenships wif d docs nurses and staff from kkh which mean alot to me..

hope the baby you mentioned would recover soon...

Hi All,

An update and couple of questions. ;P

The doc has increased the MCT oil to 1.0 from 0.5. However, after the introduction of MCT she was stagnant for a couple of days, then she gained eight 10g for two days to 850, then she dropped weight to 820 and then yesterday she gained back 20g to 840.

I would find out if she has gained weight today, I am expecting with the thickening of the formula and the increase in MCT oil, she will put on more weight faster.

My girl is very very active, moving her legs , stretching and pushing herself up in the incubator, her hands moving up and down and often the nurses have to re-adjust her oxygen tubes and the feeding lines has she keeps on pulling it out etc.

Anyone's baby very active like mine? Does he/she lose weight due to very active person?

Any issues with been so active ?

Thank you . Appreciate any comments/ replies.

suda,

yup, babies being active may make them harder to lose weight.....and perhaps smtimes they are weighed wif the tubes and they can only estimate the weight..so take it with a pinch of salt...Once they reach around 1kg, their weight would increase quickly...

think many preemies are active..and their movements may be not so fluid and thus cause them to be more spontaneous in their actions??

Hi Costa,

I'm just across the causeway in Malaysia.

Generally, they don't allow the parents to see, my wife definitely couldn't see so she went away whenever they did suction or other procedures like taking blood for blood test etc.

The purpose of "Asprite" is to check if the baby has drank the milk or is not drinking the milk correct from what I know? Also they will check if the milk is digested milk or not and might feed back any digested milk.

Is there anything else they look for?

Also about bloated tummy? Do you'll notice that your baby has bloated tummy a lot of the time? I asked the doctor as well as the nurse, they told me that it was basically due to the CPAP pressure. They have checked her stool and her tummy is very soft so they don't suspect anything, they highlighted that once she is off CPAP , the tummy bloating issue would go down.

Anyone experience this is as well?

Thank you!

suda,

Welcome you from across the causeway...!!1

Yup you are right on the aspiration part..kudos for you that you noe the purpse...i m not sure what they look out for but guess maybe the milk goes down the right way??

bloated tummy? i think so..i cant really remember....as long as bb is not having digestive problems, shld be okay??i try asking around and see if anyone noes about this...

Hi Suda,

My Elder son is also quite active. Most of the time when I went to NICU, he will just open his eyes big big and looking around.
Some more thoughtful nurse will usually put a blanket on the top of the Hood to block the lights so they will not be so active. Some nurses adjust the incubator temperature down so that colder, their heart rate will be slower and they will tend to sleep. Another calming position is the nurse will put the babies on the stomache as they will be more comfortable this way and sleep more. But I notice my baby feet will be quite cold if they bring the temperature too cold and as daddy we will ask the nurse is it Ok or normal and usually they will say is ok. I guess they were in good hand so nothing to worries.

As for bloated stomache, I saw my younger boy the day before he had a bloated stomache and the nurse say as long is soft will be ok. Yesterday deflate oredi. Some time the air from the CPAP will flow to the tummy so no worries. If it persist, the Dr will usually xray the tummy whether is it NEC if the baby has Colic symptons. No worries if soft.

Hi Suda,

Is your girl able to pass stool normally? My girl had a mal-rotation(Twisted Intestine) which she could not pass much stool since day 1. Her belly swell by the days and had to perform a emergency ops on day 11 of her birth.

Hi Laww & David,thank you for the information, it really helps to know that someone else has gone through the same things has gone the same replies etc. It truly helps!

David, Nice to hear from you. I read a lot of your postings and learned a lot from them as they well written and detail in nature.

Also, I admire your courage and your dedication and something that helps me a lot as well.

My girl, has been passing stool normally so far. I will check back with the doctor again today when I go meet him in the late afternoon.

The nurse showed me by pressing the stomach and said it is soft and thus nothing to worry about, they also reduced the pressure of CPAP so as to reduce the bloating and it seems to have gone down a but but still bloated but not as much as before.

I just checked with wifey who just came back from the hospital that my girl has increased another 10g to 850 now.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to see if my girl is putting on weight well or she is not? I heard there are growth charts, but then also heard they are not really useful until they reach 1kg and above as before 1kg it is very slow and takes time.

Is there any estimate like 1 month or 2 month, like a benchmark we can measure against?

Today I have to check with the doctor also on the PDA. The last I met him he said, he has stopped the medicine as he could not hear the murmur , plus he said that giving too much of the medicine can have side effects so he has stopped it and waiting for the cardio doctor to check again. Hopefully the cardio doctor is available to check on the PDA today. It would be a big relief to know that her PDA issue has been resolved.

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply . Appreciate it.

Hi Suda,

Regarding baby weight gained, the doctor do have a growth chart at the back of the file.
My advise is not to be too concern with the weight growth. As baby pass day by day, they will get stronger and A's & B's will get lesser. Focus more on wife and the baby well being. Too kan cheong on weight will be emotionally stressful as sometime gain weight u feel happy, then lose weight u sianz. If you really need the growth chart, I might need to go and find as I might have it photostat somewhere. Dun noe throw where cos is actually stressing my wife out.

PDA if could not hear murmur is most probably close or shrunk to small size. When it is not affecting the baby, the Dr will leave it as is and hopefully and usually will close up by itself.

Suda,
My bb was super active in the incubator. She would pull out her breathing and feeding tubes very often and the nurses would joke that they need to allocate one nurse just to put the tubes back! One good thing that happened was that she kept pulling off the CPAP and one day they just decided to take it off and she was ok to breathe on her own.

Regarding weight gain, the average is about 30g per day but don't be too concerned about it as babies tend to gain on some days and lose on other days. There was this time when my bb didn't gain anything for a whole week. In that week, she would gain on one day and lose it the next day. As long as overall bb is gaining weight and docs are not concerned, it's ok.

Hi Kelly,

SGH also does the same suction when baby is on CPAP but the nurses will politely ask parents to wait outside along the corridor as it is heart wrenching to see our little warriors going through it.

Hi Suda,

Personally, I think this is the spirit which this forum has created. All thanks to Costa which started this forum 5 year ago. With all the support for all the mummies and daddies in this forum, at least we can find some comfort and support to the uncertainties that we are facing.

Continue to fight hard & strong. Continue to believe in our little warrior.

Hi All,

Apologies for the late reply, been pretty busy and all.

Laww, thank you for the growth chart, I saw this on the internet but like you mentioned, its just a guideline and the baby might not follow. But thanx appreciate it!

Hi David, I totally agree with you, its great o get support from people who have experience or are experiencing what you are going through especially if your parents, in-laws, relatives all don't understand. This is a great help for all especially the silent majority.

An update of my baby's progress. She has as of today reached 1kg! hooray!! but now she needs to put on more weight so that they can start to wean her off CPAP.

Her PDA according to the cardio doctor has shrunk to a very small size but has not closed. The Neonat doctor said it would better for it to be closed, so he started another 4 day med and did scan yesterday and it seems it still has not closed but also there seems to be some irregular blood flow, so they are doing an x-ray of the chest to see if there is any issues.

It would be a big relief if the x-ray showed no issues and that he PDA is closing.

Question: Anyone experience your baby having puffy spots on your baby's face. My girl seems to have developed shiny puffy spots on the face and it seems the blood tests show all is well, but there must be reason why there are puffy spots.

Anyone encountered this before? Appreciate if you could share with me if you have experience it or seen it before an what was done.

Thank you again everyone for your support and taking time to reply to my queries.

Appreciate it!

Hi All,

Thanks for the info!

In fact, I think I encountered the suction that you mentioned. Didn't see it with my eyes but was in the room and heard the nurse doing it with other babies. She asked the only other pair of parents to leave the room. The screams by the babies are really heart wrenching. I had my back towards them as I was carrying my bb. I supposed my bb also went thru it. Thankfully she's off CPAP now.

I agree with Suda that most pp don't understand abt premature babies. Neither did I before delivery. Even now, I'm still not quite sure. I'm grateful for the advice provided here. Thanks!

Hi all

Can I know how old is your child before you bring him or her to swimming pool just to play with water? I don't mean those baby spa but a real pool.

Thanks
happy.gif

Hihi Suda, welcome.

Hooray that your gal has reached 1kg. I remember mine got to that mark on first day of CNY 2010! the mummies here are right about the suction. As for the aspirate, besides checking that the milk has been well digested, it is also to verify that the feeding tube still delivers the milk to bb's stomach/intestine rather than somewhere else, eg lungs!

my bb was on MCT for awhile and weened off before she was sent to SCN cos she was putting too much weight and the doctors at NICU was worried that the extra weight would put additional pressure on her heart. SHe also had ligation of her PDA after 2-course of medication failed.

Costa, i will check out fb later on the premmie group.

bb A is now CA 17mths. she can only utter a couple of 1-syllabus words but I think she is picking up and my appt with rehabiliation clinic at kkh is not due yet, so don't know whether she is considered 'there' in terms of speech.

FOr those asking about feeding tube (sorry too many names which I am v lousy in remembering....), she had it for 4 mths since her discharge. She pulled out many many times in a week and I was the only one who dares to insert for her. sometimes put in yaolan sleep, wake up the tube is off. I also struggled in feeding her milk and yes, she has no inclination to be fed at night, so the feeding tube 'was my rescue':p One fine day she decided to pull off her tube and she decided to drink all her milk, although slow but at least, no need to insert, aspirate..etc. So for those mummies or daddies who require syringe or the tape or tubings, I still have some. Can pass to you. Just pm me.

Costa, bb A has problem chewing food. The SLT asked me to let her try but sometimes she would merlion out her bf, lunch or dinner. The only trick i found is to feed prior to her meals, eg. tea break and at least if she feel jelak, no meals would be waster. yesterday she had Khong Guan so-ta-pia.

To the rest of mummies and daddies whose little fighter who are still in the hospital, hang in there! you are not alone. Our babies are very strong fighter.

for bb A I still her the infant multi-vitamin prescribed by KKH and Childlife's colostrum on a daily basis, mixed with her formulal. For my elder gal, i give her sambucus/sambucol, it helps with her immunity. Hope this helps.

Hi Costa

My Elder twin is transferred to MRSA SCN and I am worried sick. As I am in office now and have not seen him yet until tonight. The nurse called me and I really do not understand her philipine accent. Thanks to your reply to a fellow parents in the archive in August 2007, I now know that it is not something I need to worry about. Really appreciate it... But still a bit worried until I hugged my boy tonight.

hi, laww (eedaddy),

You are most welcome !

The mrsa infection is smthg that sounds scary but its not ....Forgive me for repeating it but this infection is something that we adults/nurses/doctors also can get but we can just put a cream/lotion and it can be solved or juz by taking a walk outside in the sun(if i m not wrong)

but for babies, they are just worried as a matter of precaution...Let me assure you that your baby would be in good hands as the nurse to baby ratio is better..

I remember that when my bb was transferred to mrsa, i had missed a phone call from kkh and when i reached, i ran all the way to nicu and dashed in thru the doors..I tot the worse had happened but it was just that he was transferred to mrsa isolation and the nurses (they are ever so thoughtful) were worried that i would not be able to find my kid at nicu and panicked and so gave me a courtesy call..

after bb has recovered from mrsa, they would not be together with his "fellow frens" from the nicu or scn as they are afraid of infection..but i think this is really a blessing in disguise..dun worry, okay? hows yr wifey coping with everythg?

mricky,
hihi..hvnt heard from you for so long..glad that everythg is okay....your bb seems to be the same as my son but only thign is my son would not eat the khong guan biscuit and he wun go near a biscuit if he can help it
sad.gif

laww,

Don't worry. My boy also stayed (lived!) in MRSA NICU/SCN for like 8 months. Sometimes I worried, like when he had IV inserted or after his hernia op..but seriously nothing at all happened.

Can also confirm Costa's comment..the nurse to baby ratio in MRSA isolation is super. At most 3 babies to one nurse..most of the time its 2 babies to one nurse. Also in isolation ward the nurses have to wear masks..better protection for babies if nurses are unwell.

Only lehchey thing is that you should visit the "clean" side first, then visit MRSA and not double back in case you bring MRSA back to non-isolation NICU/SCN.

Hi costa and onefish.

Thanks for all the encouraging words. It is assuring to know it is not life threatening.
I carried both babies yesterday and hope I did not pass to the other twin.
Reading from the internet google can sometimes scare people to death. Got CA-MSRA and HA-MSRA. So complicated and all the negatives words. Have completed most of my work, and maybe leave work early today. Never seen my son yet so kinda worried and no mood to work.

laww,

No problem..

Treasure the times u n yr boy have in mrsa isolation...its an experience which a nurse told me that at the end of it when yr boy goes home, you wld fully appreciate the quiet and the peace and bb can recover faster...

i seriously think so...the environment is very conducive with less noise from machines etc...and great for the better attention as once yr boy can go to scn, he wld still be isolated and the care given is vy good..

there are several different forms of mrsa..the more serious ones were mentioned in the papers over the last year..but doubt those that we have in mrsa here are like those mentioned..

let us noe after yr visit tonite, okay?

laww(eedaddy),

great!!let us noe how is it after the visit..hope u have a chance a talk to the nurses/staff and get a clearer idea..

Eedaddy,
I was also very worried when I found out that my baby was transferred to MRSA SCN . The nurse on duty refused to elaborate n asked me to wait for doctor. I was close to tears as I sat there waiting for the doctor. The twenty mins wait seemed like forever... Luckily for me another more experienced nurse walked over n told menot to worry too much. It's mainly a precaution move to avoid spreading. The doc later told me the same thing. The doc may highlight some possible risks etc... But the baby will be monitored closely in the isolation room.

Hi Ning,

I am back from KKH. Both my twins are in the MRSA. Saw them and felt relieved. They are sleeping. The nurses told me which I do not know if is true or not, they claim most babies from NICU will be positive for MSRA due to the long stay in Hospital. As what Costa have said, they will be applied cream and test again 5 days later. If still positive, apply the cream and wait another 5 days until cured. Then they can go back to SCN. I do find the nurses there are quite friendly and helpful though. Quite a huge different from SCN and the service is close to NICU. 3 babies under 1 nurse charge.

Hi Costa and onefish,
Promised to update the status of my boy MSRA. So attached some pictures of today cos pictures speak a thousand word. Hehehe
6057890.jpg
6057891.jpg

Eedaddy, your babies are so cute! Both looking so happy n cheerful... Must be the positive energy from daddy & mummy.
happy.gif

Can't really compare nurses from SCN & SCN MRSA cos my baby was only in SCN for a few days. He was in SCN MRSA all the way till discharge. My understanding is that the baby will remain in MRSA isolation room after the 5/10 days of treatment cream,all the way till discharge。

Back