Pregnancy with complications...

2020BabySher

Do any mummies here have fibroid or polyp along with their pregnancy? Can share your experience? I'm a FTM and my fibroids grew tremendously along with my baby. I want to opt for C-sect delivery so can one-shot remove the fibroids all at once. But my current gynae is pro-natural and not willing to operate on my fibroids.

Any gynae that you know and can recommend to handle such cases?

I had a fibroid that grew with my bb. My gynae at the time at kkh told me she will one shot take out the fibroid during my c-sect. Managed to do it without complications. Really thankful for her decision

Hi @2020BabySher, I also have several fibroids that grew with baby. I have a large one which grew from 4 to 8 cm now and its near the birth canal according to gynae. The locations of other fibroids are still ok, currently above the baby, so no blocking of baby's growth. At current stage, gynae cannot advise if can do c-sec or natural delivery because she says the fibroid can still change position nearer the delivery date. For me, her advice is wait until the final trimester scan results then she will advise again. She mentioned for pregnant mums with fibroids, the worrying conditions are early contractions, pre-term delivery and bleeding complications. As such, she currently prescribed me on duphaston 10m 2 tablets 3 times a day. Any of you are prescribed this medication too?

Hi @Eggtimer29, you are lucky that the fibroids could be taken out together during c-sec. I asked my gynae if eventually I need to do c-sec, can fibroids be removed in same surgery? She said its high risk to do it together with baby delivery and she says fibroids surgery can be scheduled separately after baby is born. How many fibroids do you have and where is the location of it?

Hi @2020BabySher, I also have several fibroids that grew with baby. I have a large one which grew from 4 to 8 cm now and its near the birth canal according to gynae. The locations of other fibroids are still ok, currently above the baby, so no blocking of baby's growth. At current stage, gynae cannot advise if can do c-sec or natural delivery because she says the fibroid can still change position nearer the delivery date. For me, her advice is wait until the final trimester scan results then she will advise again. She mentioned for pregnant mums with fibroids, the worrying conditions are early contractions, pre-term delivery and bleeding complications. As such, she currently prescribed me on duphaston 10m 2 tablets 3 times a day. Any of you are prescribed this medication too?

Hi @Eggtimer29, you are lucky that the fibroids could be taken out together during c-sec. I asked my gynae if eventually I need to do c-sec, can fibroids be removed in same surgery? She said its high risk to do it together with baby delivery and she says fibroids surgery can be scheduled separately after baby is born. How many fibroids do you have and where is the location of it?

You are right, it depends on the location. I had one large one that was 10cm by the time baby was due. I can't recall the location but the doc did mention that for that particular location it was possible to take out one shot and if it had been somewhere else, a separate procedure would have to be arranged. By the way, i also recommend getting a second opinion as "cannot" for one doctor may be "can and have done before" for another doctor.

hi @Colourfuldays may I know which gynae you are seeing now?

I’m also FTM and have fibroids which is located outside my uterus, hence, before pregnancy up to now, I didn’t facing any issue (hopefully no issue all way long till my baby is born)

I have visited2 gynae so far, the first one seems... “worried” and I decided to try another gynae and see whether the reaction is same as the first gynae I visited.

the 2nd gynae definitely more calm and give assurance to me that my baby would be fine, but maybe there will be a discomfort I would feel later in last trisem.

as A ftm, I myself a bit worry, that’s why I’m looking for experienced gynae for pregnancy with fibroids.

Hi @blessedme, I am seeing Dr Tracey Lim @ Tow Young clinic. I didn't get second opinion yet though. Which gynae have you seen? How many months pregnant are you now? Are you on any duphaston 10mg medication? My gynae said this medication will prevent early contractions which could lead to pre-term delivery.

Hi @blessedme, I am seeing Dr Tracey Lim @ Tow Young clinic. I didn't get second opinion yet though. Which gynae have you seen? How many months pregnant are you now? Are you on any duphaston 10mg medication? My gynae said this medication will prevent early contractions which could lead to pre-term delivery.
Hi @Colourfuldays Im in early pregnancy stage, still in 1st trisem.

I have visited Dr James Lee and Dr Goh Shen Li, like I said above, Dr James seems worry and made me anxious when he saw the fibroids. While Dr Goh is different, she is v calm and said the fibroids shouldnt harm the baby.

Im planning to see another doc this coming Sat, after that I might decide to stick to 1 gynae ald. N so far they havent prescribed me any med, only folic acid.

How abt you? How many months pregnancy are you now? Since when you need to consume duphaston?

Hi @blessedme, I am in my third trimester. I was given duphaston since first trimester, then stop a while then continue in middle of second trimester and now higher dosage in third trimester.

@blessedme, Thank you for your prayers. Actually I have no discomfort during the entire pregnancy and that's why I don't really like the idea of taking so much duphaston tablets. The only discomfort I have was I felt heavy and sometimes have difficulty during sleep due to the heavy stomach. My current dosage has been increased to 6 tablets per day instead of just 2 tablets. But gynae insist need to take the pills to stabilise the pregnancy and prevent fibroids from causing pre-term delivery.

You also have some way to go since you are in the first trimester. Enjoy the journey. Eat nutritious food so baby will develop well.

@Colourfuldays that's good news to hear! May I know which type of fibroids do you have? I have subserosal and intramural fibroids, and I keep worrying whether it will give me any discomfort or even worst (knock wood)

Maybe your doctor just takes precaution action, hence keep ask you to consume Duphaston. You know, better safe than sorry right. Do you plan to remove the fibroids at the same time when you deliver the baby?

I heard some case that's possible to do, but another case said it's not as afraid mommy will be lost too much blood and could endanger her life. So lots of mixed stories on this.

I had a friend, she has fibroids as well during her 1st pregnancy, and in her case, she's able to remove the fibroids at the same time she delivered her baby. Must through c-sect tho, but quite a relief she could remove the fibroids.

@blessedme, I don't know what type of fibroids I have because the gynae only told me fibroids in general and I have like 1 large one at the right side (near delivery canal) and 3 smaller ones that's like sitting on top of the baby at the moment but doesn't affect the baby growth. However, she said there is still possibility that these fibroids may change position. That's why she is unable to advise if I can do natural birth or C-sec and need to wait for final trimester scan in 2 weeks time to locate the exact location of the fibroids for her to determine how to deliver baby.

If I could choose, I would like to remove the fibroids at the same time if doing c-sec to deliver baby. However, the gynae has said this is a complex delivery and high risk, so removal of fibroids cannot be done in the same operation to deliver baby as she worry bleeding issues from fibroid. Gynae has said for my complex case, she will need to bring her gynae partner and PD along as well for my delivery.

Talking about PD, I wonder if its usual for PD to be also in the delivery ward or PD's role is to check and take care of baby after baby is delivered. Anyone knows?

Yes I heard about the removal of fibroids at the same time through delivery of baby if doing c-sec operation. However, my gynae says its high risk to baby and me (bleeding issues from fibroids) if it will be done at the same time.

Back