Possible Blighted Ovum?

Mel_ds

Hi there,

This is my first pregnancy after trying for a few months. I just needed a place/group to turn to because I've been really distressed.

Last week, I went for my first ultrasound scan and KKH at what was suppose to be my 8-week mark. The scan showed a very small, empty gestational sac. No heartbeat, nothing. I did both a regular ultrasound and a transvaginal one. The doctor said that by 8 weeks there should be something visible, and told me that I may have gotten my dates wrong. She scheduled another scan for me in 2 weeks' time.

Thing is, I'm really worried and upset. I have a super regular 28-day cycle. I have a period calendar app and my period is spot on every month. During the first few weeks of pregnancy, I felt slightly nauseous, had some major food aversions and my boobs were swollen and tender. Now my symptoms have all completely disappeared. I don't have any bleeding but just slight spotting every few days. I did another pregnancy test today to check if I'm still pregnant, the test said 'positive'.

Has anyone here gone for an ultrasound scan at 8 weeks only to find an empty sac, but saw their baby at later scans in the end?

i went for a scan at what i thought was 8 weeks but was only dated 6 weeks, just a sac with fetal pole. You can actually go for HCG test at any gp and monitor the level if the level doubles or decrease every 2 days if you cant wait for the next scan. hope all is well!

Last edited:
i went for a scan at what i thought was 8 weeks but was only dated 6 weeks, just a sac with fetal pole. You can actually go for HCT test at any gp and monitor the level if the level doubles or decrease every 2 days if you cant wait for the next scan. hope all is well!

Thank you! Was everything ok with your pregnancy in the end? I'm going for my ultrasound tomorrow and I'm super nervous. Praying I get to see my baby.

Thank you! Was everything ok with your pregnancy in the end? I'm going for my ultrasound tomorrow and I'm super nervous. Praying I get to see my baby.

i'm currently 31 weeks :) i know exactly how u felt coz when i went in at week 5 there was nothing even through vaginal u/s. so only 3 wks later then i saw the heart beat. and the scan dated me 6w instead of 8w.

keep us updated. praying that all will go well for u n baby!

i'm currently 31 weeks :) i know exactly how u felt coz when i went in at week 5 there was nothing even through vaginal u/s. so only 3 wks later then i saw the heart beat. and the scan dated me 6w instead of 8w.

keep us updated. praying that all will go well for u n baby!

Good to hear :) thanks so much for the encouragement. I'll keep posted!

I went at what I thought was 8 weeks. But all we could see is a sac that is 6 weeks. I refused to do vaginal scan so all I could do is wait 2 weeks. My next scan is next Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I went at what I thought was 8 weeks. But all we could see is a sac that is 6 weeks. I refused to do vaginal scan so all I could do is wait 2 weeks. My next scan is next Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Waiting is really hard but just get as much rest as you can, that helps past time too. Stay positive and all the best for your next scan! Do keep us posted :)

Back