New hubby needs some advice.

Hi Moms,

My wife and i are contemplating of starting a family. Unfortunately, i have simply no clue about the "steps" needed to ensure a healthy baby and even more, a stress free time for my wife.

After scouring tons of webpages, i gather it would be great if both of us went for a pre-pregnancy check up.

This is where i am totally lost and i sincerely request for advice.

1. Would it be better if we go to KK or any equivalent hospital for said check up or we should visit a gynae for that matter?

2. If anyone could advise me the most value for money method? of course, while i want to provide the best for my wife, my wallet is just not as deep as others.

Please do not think i am a miser, i am hoping to look for something affordable while ensuring this does not stress out our family financially.

Thank you in advance for any opinion and advice.

Hi Teo,

The most economical way is for your wife and yourself to visit any Polyclinic and get a referral letter to go KK to see Gynae/ Endrologist(for guy). With the referral, you will be able to enjoy subsidised medical treatment/ consultation rates as a citizen.

The catch is, however, long waiting time, if your case is not deemed as emergency case and you are not at the liberty to choose any gynae/ endrologist of your choice to see.

Hi,

Like to find out what's the rationale behind the decision for a chk up?

There r numerous chks, such as the oscar, detailed scan etc to chk on the health of the bb, so guess the gyn will mot be able to advise upfront on the bb's health prior to pregnancy..

Pertaining to trying to maintain a stress free pregnancy for your wife, your intentions are well and good as a husband..
happy.gif
but being the Mom who will be carrying the precioous little one for a good 9 mths, one will naturally worry for the child, tt's the maternal instinct and part and parcel of pregnancy..
happy.gif
some peeps get morning sickness, some don't.. Pregnancy affects everyone differently, so dun fret over this and just take ths as they come and work on the symptoms together with ur wife.. If need be, there are courses that one can attend along the pregnancy to guide one through during that stage too..

However, if it pertains to ttc matters, most gyn will advise trying naturally for a year (or a shorter period depending on the parents' age) prior to suggesting chks like hsg (to chk for blocked tubes), sa test for the hubbs, follicular scanning or putting one on clomid etc...

Pls dun stress yourself out and just try naturally and who knows, you may be in for a pleasant surprise soon!
happy.gif

Many hospitals hv package for pre pregnancy chkups. I noe raffles hospital has it. Itz not tt ex i rem. maybe u can find out frm their website.

Well.....my wife went thru a sad experience during her earlier relationship and i really do not wish for anything to happen during our pregnancy, it would crush her badly, therefore the thoughts of pre pregnancy check up.

I know the check up would not be comprehensive but i gather that when we speak of the experience she went thru, the doctor will be able to advice accordingly.

My wife health and mental state of health matters.

Hi,

Thx for updating.. =) Guess the chk-up should allay some of the fears etc and let the gyn better plan on the care for your wife when she gets preggers..

In the meanwhile, hope that yall can try to stay positive and look forward to ur miracle bb.. =)

Good Luck! =)

Hi Gabriel

Your wife needs to be checked to make sure that her immunisations are updated. E.g. Hep B, Rubella, etc. If she needs to be immunised, doc will advise you when to start planning for a baby as there will be a window period not to do so. Any gynae is able to do the check. It also depends on whether u want to deliver in a restructured hosp or private hosp. If u want to deliver in a restructured hosp as a private or subsidised patient (for subsidised patient, u will need a referral letter from the polyclinic), it may be good to have your check up done at a restructured hosp so that your records are there from the start. Most couples follow the gynae that they have been following up with for gynaecological checks till they deliver so if u want to deliver in a private hosp, do saearch around for the gynae u wish to go to.

Back