Need advice on NICU cost for a expat

Shafraz

Hi, my wife gave birth yesterday to our first baby(boy) unfortunately she had to deliver him at 26weeks exactly. This came as a surprise and we do not have an insurance cover in place. As I do not have any subsidies I want to know what kind of a cost I should be looking at and I'm extremely worried on how I am going to manage this cost. The doctors are saying that the stay is going to be pretty long (at least 3 months) pls pls help me understand what sort of a cost am I prepping for and whether there is any exceptions that Singapore is giving for expats.
Hospital is NUH

Hi, I just did a financial counselling session with NUH recently. The nurse told me NICU cost about up to $1000 per day. As an expat, you would be considered as a private patient, so Im not sure if you would need to pay extra for the pediatrician's professional fee and nursing fee.

Oh gosh ... that's harsh. Which country are you from ? Maybe consider getting in touch with your embassy. You might be able to get subsidies from your home country....

It will cost u a boom for sure! One of my friend delivered at week 20 n baby still in NICU for 180 days.. total bill for baby S$170,000!! And lucky she are under subsidize and they pay in cash $2K+ only.. all born by government subsidize

It will cost u a boom for sure! One of my friend delivered at week 20 n baby still in NICU for 180 days.. total bill for baby S$170,000!! And lucky she are under subsidize and they pay in cash $2K+ only.. all born by government subsidize

Gosh !!! What do they do if you say straight ahead that you won t be able to pay ?? Do they discharge the baby and leave it to fate ??

It is always good to ensure you have a prenatal insurance to cover these. The insurance itself is not very costly. Better be prepared for anything unexpected to happen

From my understand Prenatal insurance is a lump sum payout $5,000 or $10,000 only...

It can be very costly up to $1,000-$2,000 depend on your pregnancy condition I.e. IVF, age n etc...

Nope not really thay expensive, but you are right as well, coz the price will differ with age and other conditions (IVF, twins etc...)

https://sg.******************/new-prenatal-insurance-plan-singapore/

You can check out AXA Mom's advantage (insurance + investment), the insurance portion only cost a lump sum of $1000+ for 6 years coverage, for a age 31 lady. But will have to get it together with the investment plan (useful to kickstart for your child's education planning etc..), as otherwise they don't sell just the prenatal insurance alone

Yeah, most are link to investment, life or other plan which need commitment for a certain period like 15 years! Haha

We have consider n checked before.. premium doesn’t attract us bcos of our age n condition! Plus we do not want to make the commitment that early before our LO is come to the world... :)

Back