MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Hello Janet and Wen,

happy.gif
This is a funny thread. Everytime I thought it's dead, it's revived again.

My kid's SA2 will end this Friday with Chinese (which she will not be finished with preparing it).

She's been having weird stomach. She said she went to toilet 10 times on Monday, all solid form, not diarrhoea, and I took her to a doc. The doc gave her a suppository and all were supposed to have come out that very night. But today, she said she went to toilet 4 times during school, and 2 times were during her English exam! She said she rushed thro her cloze passage and compre becos toileting took up 30 mins. I told her I'll cane her if there're careless mistakes.

Hi mummies,
How are all of you?
Rains, think your kid's problem is due to exam stress. My girl too, today 1st paper English, down with running nose. This afternoon worse, got slight fever. Sigh, don't know the next few days will be how......
Last paper on Monday!!! Still got so many days, worries.......
You're so mean lei. She is already so stress with stomach pain still told her that you will cane her for careless mistakes!

keyt,
Oh ... I didn't think of that. I'm a horrible mother as usual. My kid is always very lazy and she always find excuses to do something else when I ask her to do work. So I don't care about whatever she complains to me. In fact, my sisters are also 'numb' to her complaints. She too many complaints already, until I cannot differentiate which ones I should take seriously. I just caned her this morning at 5.25am becos I found that her pencil case has no stationery except a pair of scissors and some paper shreds! Just now I was also caning her while going thro some Maths questions. I was very weak in Maths and I found it ridiculous that she could do the difficult questions but cannot do straight forward 'area and perimeter' questions. Count also can count wrongly.

It never occur to me that she could be stressed since she always looks so laxed. Thanks for mentioning that! Okay, I better ask her to go sleep now.
Thanks!

Rains,
I think your daughter is having exam stress.
My son asked me to give him a little paracetamol last night bcos his head felt heavy.
During his SA1 for Chinese, he told me he developed a headache during the exam. Don't stress your gal anymore, it's really very pitiful to see the kids being stressed.

I kept telling my hubby NOT to stress him by nagging or bugging him. This morn, my son hugged me b4 going to school. Last night, I made sure his pencil case had 2B pencils.

My son also weak in area and perimeter leh.

Janet,
Huh? Area and perimeter very straight forward mah. Why children find it difficult? I was very weak in Maths, but there were a few topics I thought were life-savers. Area and perimeter is one of them.

Sigh. I am such an unforgiving mother. I always feel so ashamed when I see how loving other mothers are ie. like you people. I also try to be loving, but I just get very impatient when I coach my own kid.

Rains,
My Maths is beyond hopeless
kao_sticktongue.gif
...I can still teach him Science. Maths today is simply too difficult, got models and whatever just to get that 4 marks !!

Actually I am not that loving lah. Just that I had tension headache few days ago and I realized that I have been rather hard on my son too...I was so guilty when he asked for Panadol last night.

Mummies,
I'm 'using' this thread to destress, bcos I know all of you are equally stressed over the kids' exams. Sorry to add on.

Hope the children know that this is part and parcel of life, although the education system is madness.

Rains,
Sometimes, things that look easy to us may not to others. So, don't blame your girl for not knowing area and perimeter questions.
Nowadays, Chilren are very stress. I really feel pity for them. I also double check that my girl has the full set of stationery for exam, especially 2B pencil.
I do not ever use cane so far, only scoldings and reasonings when they are naughty; rewards and praises when they are good. Try this method, it works.

Thanks, keyt,

I started using cane becos I realised it was effective. She was very careless in her exams, until I caned her for the careless mistakes, and I found that she didn't make any careless mistakes the next time round.

Reasoning doesn't seem to be very effective for my kid. She could cry when she listens to your reasoning, but still doesn't change. She's very stubborn and scoldings don't work on her either.

Since young, she's very stubborn. I can beat her very hard and she would grit her teeth and looked unaffected.

I want to reward her when she's good, but she takes forever to finish one page of assessment book. How to praise her?

When I finally reward her by buying storybooks for her, she reads until she doesn't want to do work or do anything else. It exasperates me instead.

Are your kids like that huh? Do you need to sit beside your kid to look at every question he or she does in order to get him or her moving?

Keyt,
I couldn't agree more with you.
The stress, circumstances when children sit for exams is something we cannot understand. They are more pitiful than us.

Rains,
I sit beside my boy when he does his work...more for company. He still daydreams, but very much better than P1/2.

Janet,
Thanks for letting me know that my kid is normal. My husband kept telling me that she's the most dependant kid he's ever seen. He said P3 kids should be able to do work on their own totally already.

I think it's time I throw his theory out of the window.

Rains,
No worries
happy.gif

My boy can do his work on his own but wants my company...much better now than he was in P1 & 2, I could not walk out of the room to answer a call without him following behind my back.

P3 kids are just a little better than P1/2...when they are in upper primary, they won't even want you in the room. My son told me the Maths paper today is tough...what's done is done...I believe he has done his best.

Janet & Rains,

Hahahaha .... what you've mentioned about sitting beside your DS & DD when they are doing their work sounds so familiar!! I have to do that as well else DS will daydream and will take forever to finish his work. Even when I'm sitting beside him, he can still day dream
uhoh.gif

I'm taking a break this afternoon as my mum is revising his Chinese with him
happy.gif

Just can't wait for Monday to come (then we'll be free !!)

Today is my kid's last paper, and I just realised how relieved I feel. It's as if a heavy load is off my shoulders. And it's only now that I realised I was stressed over her exams.

I told myself I wasn't stressed when I caned her, and that I did cane her in a rational state. But now I realised it was indeed stress that caused me to yell at her, cane her and beat her. Oh dear, I'm such a lousy mother.

Ha, after reading your posts then I came to realise that I'm a lucky mum. I do not need to sit besides my children when they do work, even my K2 boy. Just to remain them to focus as and when I remember. But, I still check through my girl's school homework after she has done.
My girl has last paper mt on Monday. Her die die paper. Ha.... Don't understand why most Chinese nowadays hate Chinese language.

keyt,
How nice! Since a baby, my kid wants me to be by her side except when she reads. Even eating. I've sort of given up on her eating. If she doesn't finish eating within an hour, I'll treat it as she doesn't want it and throw away.

I didn't expose my kid to Chinese formally until she goes to school. It was a deliberate effort as I truly believe that English is a more difficult language while Chinese will come natural to us, even if it's picked up later. She's not writing well now, as expected. I'll be reading with her and exposing her frequently to Chinese from now on. I told her I want her to be fantastic (relative to her spoken Mandarin now) in Chinese by the end of Dec this year. And I'll help her with it. I hope in time to come, she'll enjoy Chinese books as much as she enjoys English ones.

rains,

I share a different view in that English is more difficult to learn. There are plenty of opportunities to use English in school and children can pick it up faster once they master Phonics. I think Chinese is more difficult to learn especially if you do not speak Chinese at home and the school is not SAP. My boy can do very well for his Chinese Paper 2 but he can't do as well for Compo and Oral because he doesn't use it enough. On hindsight, I regret not speaking Chinese at home when he was younger, now it is very difficult to change the habit.

EHYmum,
Why do kids daydream even when we sit beside them ? When I asked my son about it, he tells me, 'Mummy, I'm not dreaming, thinking about answer.'

My son's Chinese on Mon, Science on Tue. Then that load is off my shoulder until next year. Today is for Science and 2moro on Chinese.

Jess,
I wish I could bring myself to speak Chinese at home too, but it's such a tough habit. After 2 sentences, I'm speaking English again.
My kids love to watch the HKG drama shows...it's 2-fold - son will learn to read Eng subtitles but younger one will learn to understand.

Janet,
Hahahaa, 'thinking about answer' indeed! I think my kid once mentioned that as well and I raised my voice at her for taking too long to think.

Jess,
It's true that environment is an important factor in picking up a language, and English is more widely used than Mandarin. However, I feel that like Mandarin, most of the English used around us are not perfect English. You may speak well, but it does not mean you'll write well.

Mandarin, on the other hand, is a more 'consistent' language. Many words can be used in formal and informal situations, unlike English. Once you've mastered a word, you can use it any way you like. Perhaps you still won't agree with me, but that's alright. We'll cone to a disagreement on that.

My husband, although is obviously much better in his Mandarin, actually also says that Mandarin is tougher. I told him,"Then let's do an experiment on the baby. We'll just speak Mandarin to her and alienate English from her, the reverse of the elder kid, and see how she fares when she hit schooling age." He is reluctant to try that tho. I guess for my baby, we'll use both languages with her. I'll see if this will impede her ability to acquire both languages (as she may confuse one language with the other or in worst case scenario, unable to speak only with one language), or enhance her ability to master two languages at the same time.

I haven't used Mandarin with my kid either for all these years. It has become a habit that I speak English, and only English, to her. It's something that totally amazes me given that I'm a cheena person.

I just started a speak-Mandarin campaign with my kid yesterday. I told her that I will speak Mandarin to her from now on (since she's mastered English quite well), or at least till she's fluent and comfortable in Mandarin. She does keep asking me what is 'hu4 zhao4', how to say 'mrt train' and sometimes she mixes English words with Chinese to try to speak Mandarin. But I believe all these will change for the better by and by. My target is psle, so I have about 2 years to train her to be independent in the language.

I'm a Channel 8 person. My kid will watch the drama serials with me. She used to rely on the subtitles when she was younger. Now she's able to understand the show without depending on the subtitles, and even explain what happens at different scenes to me when I don't understand. I'm very dense so I can't catch the clues if they are not explicit enough.

Rains,

No worries, it is common to have differing views in online forums. But I do agree that speaking well doesn't mean writing well. I know of friends who speaks well but cannot pass their GP at A Levels.

For me, I think Chinese is difficult to learn because there are no fixed rules to apply, unlike English where you can teach phonics and grammar etc...

Anyway, I believe that if your baby is exposed to proper English and Chinese from young, he will be able to master both languages well, even if you introduce a dialect. Just be careful not to mix the language in a single conversation.

Personally, my parents speak to me in dialects but my dad reads Chinese newspapers. So I also started reading Chinese newspapers at a young age. And in school, we had lots of "Speak English Campaigns" in those days and my English teacher made us write English journals and do English book reviews. So, now I can handle all 3 languages, though not perfectly but sufficient to survive in the corporate society.

Jess,
It's always a regret to me that I can't speak my native dialect, Hokkien. I can't recall anything about my language acquisition during childhood except for once when my father was sending my neighbour and my elder sister to school. The neighbour was talking something about being late for school and she asked me,'ni3 bu4 pa4 chi2 dao4 ah?' and I asked her 'What's chi2 dao4?'.

My mother said that she spoke to us in hokkien when we were young, but when we started schooling, we came home and spoke to her in Mandarin. That sounds so bizarre and cute to me.

Yeah, I had 'Speak English' campaigns in school during my time too. But these campaigns were not successful in my school at least becos it was primarily a very Chinese primary school. My Chinese was never a problem naturally, coupled with the fact that I love to read Chinese books, and write too during my leisure time.

My English was forced to become better only when I was doing my A levels. All my classmates were either from girls' schools or Malay and Indians. It forced me to speak English. Personal pride also compelled me to be grammatical. And I had a critical and witchy GP teacher who demanded us to write 1000 word essays. She would repeat what we said shrilly, with a very incredulous look, when we said a wrong thing, used the wrong word or presented wrong info at our presentations. She also demanded that every one of us go find at least one joke to tell the class as and when she called upon us if the class needed a break from the lesson. Every day, my heart beat many times faster when she was about to walk into the classroom, and the heartbeat remained at the same beating rate throughout the lesson. She was the most stressful teacher I ever had. Yet strangely, on hindsight, if it wasn't for her, I'm not sure if I could have mastered English, beyond the acquisition level.

I thought Chinese is easier precisely becos there's no fixed rules to apply. One word you learn can be used anywhere and any way you like, as long as it's correctly used. Very fluid and flexible.

English, on the other hand, altho has guiding rules, always has exceptions to the rules. Although the acquisition itself is rarely a problem, mastering it is not easy given the wide range of vocabulary. And very often, one word can only be used in a certain manner. It's less fluid compared to Chinese. And there's formal and informal English to grapple with ie. cannot use this and that word becos they are verbal, not formal. Even pronunciation is ambiguous sometimes since it's a rojak language eg. 'tho' has a different sound in different words - 'though', 'thought', 'thorough'. There's no consistency in the pronunciation although the words are spelt using the same three beginning letters.

And for some reason, I find Chinese characters a beauty to behold. Each is unique and tells a story or picture while English letters are somewhat cold and robotic. Up till now, English remains a language of convenience for me while Chinese is a passion.

Wa...interesting topic on languages.

I'm not sure if it's common but my son's results for maths and science are usually much better than both his languages.

His weakness in Chinese is expected. As for his English, although he loves to read books, his compo marks are usually borderline and his paper 2 doesn't show fantastic results either. I think he doesn't know how to apply what he read.

Wen,
Languages are such that they don't give instantaneous results, unlike Maths and Science. That's why I'm giving about 2 years to catch up on Chinese.

The same goes for English. It takes some time for the writing part to mature. Reading comes first. I remember that I loved to read but didn't write fantastic at P3 yet. The writing part only fell into place when I was in P6 I think. I think by then you would have an awareness of ur reader or audience, so you'll make an effort to write like a writer. At P3, they are still in a me-mode ie. no awareness of reader. It takes time to build up that awareness and internalise the vocabulary they learn in storybooks. So don't worry.

My kid SA1 result was such that: Chinese is top, Science 2nd, Maths 3rd and English 4th, ironically. Her compos for both weren't fantastic either.

Oh, Wen,
Is Learning Lab a popular enrichment choice in your son's school? My kid has been asking me to let her go there becos 'all my friends' are there.

I'm not sure if I want to, and if I want, should I choose English or Maths? The only component I want her to polish up is her compo for English, but I'm not good in Maths, so I thought Maths should take the priority for enrichment. If take two, that'll come up to about $1600 w/o GST per term I think. I'm not prepared to spend so much on enrichment.

Mummies,
What enrichment centres are your kids attending?

Rains,
I watch HKG drama shows, and my kids follow too. They enjoy watching and try to understand what is going on.

My friend told me she sends her son to Learning Lab to brush up his compo. I'm not prepared for any enrichment lessons yet, bcos son is Chinese taking tuition...younger one will be starting too.

Dear Mummies,
I'm really regret for not speaking Mandarin with my children from young. Though my husband and I communicate in Mandarin, my 2 children can't speak proper Mandarin. I only see the seriousness when my girl came back after her Chinses oral in P1 saying that she couldn't converse anything in the picture becoz she didn't know how to say "exercising","flying kite" and "plucking flowers" in Mandarin. All these were in the picture conversation.
On the other hand, my friend's son from Taiwan entered P1 without knowing how to speak a single word of English, can communicate well in English after half a year in school. This is becoz everyone speaks English at school.
Now, I'm trying my best to communicate with my children in Mandarin, whenever I can remember! Ha....
My girl only goes to Joanna Chu Language Centre for creative writing since Jan. Show great improvement but the teaching style is unique. The students do not write essay, they copy with some blanks for them to fill in. But, now my girl can write in good phrases and has no problem at all in any written work.
The rest of the subjects I teach her when she faces problems.

Rains, I'm not sure if many in my son's school attend Learning Lab. But from the list of top scorers pasted outside the center, we can see many students from the so-called popular schools. Learning Lab is better known for their English and I've recently sent in the application for my son. Not heard from them yet coz the person at the counter says they need SA2 results.

He's currently attending maths olympiad at Global Education which is next to United Square. He's also attending chinese speech & drama at Xiao Xing Xing held at a CC near my place. He'll be stopping his chinese enrichment at Berries by end of the year. I plan to let him practise on assessment books since his foundation is weak. Will want to send him for chinese writing class eventually.

The rest of his classes are non-academic.

Wen,
I bought Maths Olympiad book, but no time to touch it.

2moro is my son's Chinese exam. I've revised his weak areas and told him to memorize some zao4 ju4 and go through the hanyu pinyin. Done quite a bit today. Then Science on Tuesday and it's the last paper. Hooray !!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Mummies,
Quite an interesting topic earlier on enrichment centres.

Mummies,
Thanks for sharing! My intention was to send her to enrichment only in P5 to save money. I'll think about it these few weeks and see how. Thanks a lot!

Haha, Janet,
Me too! My husband bought the Maths Olympiad book for my kid since early P2 and we never even touch it. I thought the questions are not so relevant to school syllabus and my kid is not exactly passionate about Maths, so I wanted to spare her the torment.

I'm glad that my kid's school paper does not have zhao4 ju4 for Chinese. I myself dreaded it since young. Always have to rack the brain for a decent sentence to fit in those given words. I remember my elder sister's friend telling me,"You may want to write 'My teacher wants us to zhao4 ju4 for (the particular word)'." when I asked her for ideas.

Wen,
Can you let me know how long they take to give a seat to your son when they do so later on? I heard they can take months (within a year) to allocate a seat. If that's really so, then I might need to register now so that my kid can join them a year later.

I've also heard bad review on Learning Lab ie. they take in good students so of course they produce results, there's not much value addedness etc. If that's really true, then not much point in sending kids there.

Rains,
The exam paper used to have 添写汉字 which my son could score. Now with change of PSLE format, this section is removed and replaced with hanyu pinyin. We were still going thru this last nite.
It can be rather nerve wrecking thinking of a decent sentence.

Wen,
My son's tutor has been getting him to write a 作文 every 2 weeks. He is quite used to it and does not have that initial fear.

Assessment books wise, the tutor asked me to get both the easier and tougher ones for P4...easier ones will be used for homework, tougher ones during tuition.

Yeah, I also heard that LB takes in only good students and some students need to take an entry test. My friend waited for nearly a year and still never hear from them, not sure it is due to lack of vacancy or not selected.

My son also has the Maths Olympiad Book for P2/3 and he manages to finish about 80% of it. It has some worked solutions to solve the more challenging questions and I find it quite useful for him. In fact I have just bought the next level one for P4/5.

He only attends Chinese enrichment at Hua Langugage Centre and next year he will be attending the class that focuses on Chinese Compre and Compo. The other programs are all sports.

Rains, sure I'll let you know once I hear from them. I think I sent in the application late Sep. Heard they are now scheduling for existing students before releasing to new applicants. Yes, Learning Lab does screening but it's probably coz their programs are not catered for weaker students. More like to realise full potential of those who can keep up...or so I was told. I've resisted signing my boy since P1 coz I find he's not ready. Now should be a good time as he goes on to upper primary where his ability to understand and apply what he has learnt gets better...I hope.

I send him to Maths Olympiad class since he is interested in the subject and I wanted to have him exposed to a more challenging program. I had considered Andrew Er class but no one picks up after several calls so I gave up. I didn't get the MO book coz he's lazy and so am I.

I'll send him to Science enrichment if our time and budget allows coz he has expressed his interest repeatedly. But first gotta settle his English at Learning Lab. I heard their program involves debate, newspaper cutting etc which sounds pretty interesting to me.

Jess, how long has your boy been attending Hua Language? How you find their program?

He used to go to Berries but switched to Hua at the beginning of this year because I did not see any visible improvement in P2 and also because of proximity.

Personally, I think Berries is very successful in teaching Chinese in a fun way for preschoolers. I reviewed their notes for P2 and found them quite good but my boy said the teacher frequently fed them with answers for the worksheets due to time constraints and it didn't value-add because he did not revise after the lessons.

At Hua, the lessons are taught in tandem with my son's school and maybe my boy is now more matured and he treats the lessons like a revision/enrichment instead of a burden. The teacher also provides feedback regularly and she suggested that I switch to one of their classes that focuses on writing for next year because my boy is not bad in other aspects.

Jess, I have the same thoughts about Berries. The ridiculous thing is the teacher commented and graded his compo even though she was the one providing them with the passages to copy.

Mine just started exams yesterday. Last paper on Thursday - Science and Social Studies. But I told him to relax this week, no point trying to do last minute work and stress up himself.

My kid's results, except Science, are out. I feel like fainting. They are all Band 2, and 2 are in the 70s range.
sad.gif

Jess,
How difficult can P3 papers be? I reckon she must have careless mistakes as well. I haven't seen the papers but I already told her I'm going to cane her if there're careless mistakes.

My baby just turned one in mid Oct. At the cute age now. But a lazy baby nonetheless. When it was time for her to crawl, she would cry when you placed her on her tummy. Now's the time for her to walk, and she stands well. But she cries furiously when you put her in a walking position. Love to eat though. That's something really different from my elder kid.

Rains, we have to look at the level of difficulty from the viewpoint of a P3 kid. Did most of her classmates score Band 2 as well? My niece, who is intelligent and hardworking, scored a Band 2 for her P4 SA1 Science and we found out that most of her classmates got Band 3! It was a terribly difficult paper, according to her mum, who is also a primary school teacher.

One year old is a cute age indeed. Then it will be terrible twos..... Enjoy growing up with your kid, they grow up very fast. Just like my younger one, he is going to P1 next year and he just dropped his first milk tooth yesterday. How time flies....

Jess,
She did say that "many" of her classmates are "worse" than her, but I feel that kids tend to exaggerate the information. In any case, I still feel that a P3 paper can't be so difficult. I'll look at the papers and her mistakes first before I pass my final judgement.

I always feel that 'terrible two' only applies to boys. Girls are everything nice except when they become teenagers.

I saw her 3 papers today. I let her go on the English and Chinese papers becos she didn't do well for the writing for both papers and that pulled down the marks alot. Other than that, the mistakes were genuine, except for the spelling on 'guard' which she was penalised for bad handwriting.

I caned her quite abit for Maths becos she didn't do her calculations/working, and got the wrong answers! The questions were straight forward and most of them were simple, but bcos she thought they were easy, she didn't bother to work them out. She had the methods but all her calculations were wrong! I caned her and told her I didn't cane her becos she didn't know how to do, like English and Chinese papers, but bcos she didn't bother to do her work properly, including refusing to do working and writing '4' but took it as '1' becos her handwriting was so bad.

Yesterday my boy got to know his English, spelling and dictation results. Same marks as SA1 although I did hope he can show some improvement. Nonetheless was within expections. He wasn't given the paper to bring back so not sure if he made any silly mistakes. It's not the best way but for us we use the 'carrot method' to encourage him to strive for his 'prize'.

I think we can get a better picture of our kid's performance after looking at the average results posted by the school.

Wen,
My son's tutor gave him guidelines and taught him how a compo should be written...surprisingly she also graded him. But it's more for encouragement and motivation. I buy those stamps with 'very good', 'excellent', 'untidy' and he feels good to see a comment.

My son also has a terrible handwriting in his daily work but his handwriting is very much neater when it comes to tests and exams. Same thing for my younger one - terrible handwriting in daily work but spelling tests and tingxie seems to be done by a different person!

Jess,
Yours is a son. Mine's a daughter! I've never seen a more atrocious handwriting than hers. I should know since I look at kids' handwriting every day. Usually, children who are academically strong have very good handwriting as well.

I think my kids inherit bad handwriting from my husband, who was ironically very bright in school. My results are average but I often get top 3 in my schools' penmanship competitions and I probably inherit this trait from my dad who has very nice handwriting. My handwriting only started to deteoriate when I started using computers.....

Personally, I think handwriting is linked to one's personality rather than academic results. A child who is patient and careful tends to have neat handwriting whereas one who is more rowdy and impatient tends to have poor handwriting. And I think some bright kids have very bad handwriting because they think faster than they write.

Rains,
My son didn't do well for his CL paper 2...hope that he could get a Band 2. He told me the teacher has yet to see.

Only P3 and exams are already so tough. Kids are going to get demoralized. Will ask my boy to take a CCA next yr which is just once a wk or else results will slide even more.

Jess,
I agree with you. We have to look at the environment and from the view point of the child...what is easy or difficult is something we can't see from our angle. Exam stress and the feelings are crucial.

Janet, how come teacher has yet to see? Your son only thought he didn't do well is it?

I'm feeling relieved coz results for my boy's CL paper 2 was much better than I expected. My expectation was really low i.e. I only needed him to pass ;p but he surprised me with an 80. I know his oral and compo are likely to pull down overall CL result...still, I'm pleased that my efforts somewhat paid off.

However he made a boo-boo on his science. It's his strongest subject where I had high expectations. He actually missed out 2 pages of open-ended questions! He explained that the pages probably got 'stuck together' when he flipped. Talk about complacency, he clearly didn't check...and I told him he better not repeat this silly mistake ever again.

Back