Modern Motessori, Sengkang

cyan

Any comments?

The school should be opening in March and I have just been to their openhouse.

Everything looks and sounds good, just wondering if anyone here has past experiences with their childcare services?

happy.gif

Hi Wai Yen
How have you been? Been quite a while since I last talk to you.
Read about this thread so just come in and KPO
MMI at Sengkang is near St Anne Church and St Joseph Convent Secondary School
Opp Blk 13x..

Hi,

I heard MMI always used their own student to attached to their childcare centre, which is not permanent. My son was in MMI (Kovan) about a year. dun really like it. Then switch to Amazing Star, which i find not bad. but long waiting list.

hi cyan,

think what faith is trying to say is that mmi have a school, or rather training institute in orchard towers. so they will employ their students from their to be attached to their childcare centres. more like attachment for the students but they do get paid. its sort of like a bonding for them, meaning they get attached to the childcare centre and are bonded there for think 2 years. i have a friend in kovan ctr too so i know.

think mmi will paint nice pictures but you really have to look into the qualifications and experience of the teachers. most of them like i mentioned are students. of course there will be one or 2 senior ones lah. but do consider. fees also not cheap. but method of teaching i heard that they are on the ball, but also depends on who teach lor.

heard that there's also a shekinah montessori school somewhere next door but best not to go there cos my colleague got bad experience there.

Hi Cyan
Yes, That is what i meant. I am not comfortable with the school. Of course if your luck is good you will get a good teacher. If not, then best of luck to you.

Oic... Thanks Maggie and Faith!
happy.gif

Yes, very nice picture painted by MMI, from their timetable, I can see dat they are very towards academic for the kids even though the rest of the child care I've been to are more "leisure"...

Have seen Shekinah Montessori from the search list I gotten from the web, bt shall not persure further since got case of bad experience lor..

I hv almost set my heart on MMI, but am popping by Gingerbread Skoolhouse (also @ St Anne's Woods) today cos I got to kno dat their ratio of teachers and students is just 1:4! Let's see how things go!

Cheers!
Cyan

Cyan,

Do keep us posted on how you feel about Gingerbread Skoolhouse and tell us how much are the fees and timing.

Cheers
Cloud9mummy

hi cloud9mummy
i am also looking into Gingerbread Skoolhouse.
You can check their fees and timings from their website
www.gingerbread.com.sg

I heard good reviews on this Childcare.

Anyone heard of young Elites as well? Also at St Anne Woods?

By the way, anyone sending their kids to playgroup yet?

Hi Cloud9mummy,
I am back from the sch tour @ Gingerbread... Personally I feel dat the sch premise is kind of small and squeezy, the classrooms and bathrooms are much smaller den MMI SK. But of course, the no. of kids there are lesser den MMI...

1st level is the main hall and dining area, whilst classrooms for the pre-nursery kids are on the 2nd level, and K1, K2 are on the 3rd level respectively. Good exercise if u see it positively, but if the kids hv to do steps so frequently, I fear accidents lor... Otherwise the principal is nice and friendly, and young too! Not much comments for the teachers as I din really talked to them...

R u also planning child care services for your child? How old is he/she? My daughter jus turned 14 months...
happy.gif

Hi Joleena,
I've heard of Young Elites, actually, dat was the 1st CCC I called to enquire. But aft seeing gingerbread, I decided to give it a miss... I walked past it wen I left gingerbread to go to RV mall jus now... It is also those semi-detched houses kinda of sch...

There is just one thing which has been bothering me... More concerns towards kinderland and gingerbread as I saw it there during the sch tour. MMI, not sure cos SK branch no students yet...

The kids there change in the open of their classrooms. There is no proper changing area (like a draw curtain) nor cubicle for the kid to be in while the teacher is helping them undress/dress up.

Twice already, @ Kinderland, I saw a little boy's bum, and jus now @ gingerbread, I saw a little boy's birdie and a little girl's naked body.. -_-"

Kinda of funny leh, do u all tink tis ok? Though they are jus kids, but all the more, kids shld be taught from young on hw to protect one's body right? Especially girls! I would not wan my daughter to bare her naked body to her classmates!

Or is it jus me dats being too fussy here?? Fellow mommies please share ur views with me...

Hi Cyan
My son is also 14 months old....
Why did you want to give Young Elites a miss? Cos it is the same as gingerbread?

Perhaps in those semi detached houses, the places tend to be small.

Do you know what is the teacher student ratio?

Hi Joleena,

I could nt remember the ratio for young elite... Ya, not comfortable cos of small compound and the staircase thingy lor... Even though ratio for gingerbread is good, but I don't really like their bathroom/toilet leh...

I am so stuck now cos I had pinned high hopes for gingerbread...

So, any comments on the "changing issue" I've mentioned?

BTW, r u a sahm now? I am... but not for long lor...
sad.gif

Hi Cyan
oh you don like the staircase thingy? unless you want to choose those childcare at void deck?
Have you asked about The Children Discovery Centre?

As for the changing issue, I don have any comments cos this is the first time I heard about that. But I think there should be a changing room somewhere at least.

I am a FTWM. You are going back to work soon? Which part of sengkang are you staying?

Hi

If you dont mind the centre which my child go to previously then maybe you should check it out. Amazing Star in Serangoon garden. Though a little bit far. but the teachers are good.

Hi Joleena,

Ya, my hubby also disapproves of gingerbread now aft I told him dat the classrooms are on the 2nd level..

I hv not really gone into search for those void deck CCCs, there is one jus below my block, bt I am giving it a miss definately cos I tink they are not pro, not up to my standards...
sad.gif

I hv narrowed down to MMI SK and Kinderland, YCK branch. These two are standalone bldgs and classrooms are bigger... Hvnt seen Kinderland's bathroom though... Havent done much research on The Children's Discovery centre either... Got website?

Yup, me goin bac to work soon... Me stayin in Fernvale.. U?
happy.gif

Faith,

Can I get amazing star's contact from u? Serangoon seems quite alright bt hv to get exact address so I can ask my hb...

Hi Cyan
your hubby also disapproves on kids climbing up and down?
The Children Discovery Centre is at blk 183D? rivervale crescent...i cant find any website for that yet.

I am staying in Rivervale Crescent.

Am still thinking ..

hi cyan
re:changing issue
it is quite common in ccc to change the kids in the open when bathing as the teacher:children ratio usually btw 1:4 -1:6 if the teacher has to go into the room to change one kid n what will happen to the other kids tt are waiting outside the changing room... n if they hv another teacher to look after the kid one to change the kid n one to bathe the kid tt will mean additional cost n higher fees for parents....

n after all they are still young n no real concept of nakeness but this is juz my point of view lah..... my son is currently going to kinderland n i juz accept the bathing pt lor....

Joleena,
Yup, the 1st ting he asks is whether the teacher carries them down one by one or wat, den I say no lar, wher got so much time to carry one by one.. My ILs place is with staircase also, he mus hv seen little accidents involving his nieces/nephews and thus, is not receptive to the idea. Scared of accidents also lor..

Faith,
Thanks for the contact number, I will call and check out their address!

Hi Sheris,
Thanks for sharing ur views...
happy.gif

I dont really expect a proper changing room, bt den, a little changing area with a small draw curtain wuld suffice. afterall the kids' body size are small, the teacher can still sit outside whilst changing the kid in the curtain... my personal views also la.. Haha! Furthermore mine is daughter, so more concerns on this lor..

BTW, which branch is ur son attending? Kinderland is in my list, just a bit bothered by the changing issue dats all...

Hi Faith
thanks for sharing the number. Serangoon garden kinda far for us
sad.gif

Hi Cyan
I guess then you will have to choose CCC that are at void deck? cos i believe usually for CCC at semi detached houses will have lessons upstairs?

Joleena,

Nope, I hvnt seen any CCCs dat are @ void deck yet... In fact, there is one jus below my block! Btw, think you've missed this part of my reply earlier on:

"I hv narrowed down to MMI SK and Kinderland, YCK branch. These two are standalone bldgs and classrooms are bigger... Hvnt seen Kinderland's bathroom though..."

MMI SK is new school compound and Kinderland is kind of run down... But Kinderland is more convenient for us...

So stuck now lor..

Oops sorry Cyan
So you would prefer Kinderland?

I think I read above that MMI SK may use their students to be attached to schools..

Why don we go both and make a decision later?

When are you sending your gal to CCC?

Ya lor, Joleena, dats y I am having 2nd thots on MMI now... Else, I could almost confirm and register with them liao.. Kinderland, I still dont kno, bt they are stil in my list for considerations...

Aeiii, how to go both? Trial at each for 2 wks? Not too good for our kiddos leh..

I will be sendin my girl wen she turns 18 months in end June, so will start July prob...

Wat abt u?

Hi LV,

I have the fees for MMI, SK.. Here goes...

Registration fee: $ 100 (non-refundable)

Monthly fee (daily program):
18mths - 7yrs
Full day: $750 (workin parent: $600/non-workin parent: $675)
Half day am: $650 ($575/$575)

Deposit: Equivalent to one month's program. Refundable upon one month written notice.

Stationary & prepared workbook: $120 per calender year

Insurance: $4 per calendar year

Uniform: $60 (4 sets)
T-shirt: $15 per set

Dinner (optional): $50
Mattress cover: $22 (full-children only)

Hi LV,

the $600 is aft gov subsidy. Nope, no pat's schoolhouse in sk area.

Mummies, have you tot of sending your kids to the childcare centres at ponggol 24th avenue? there are a few of them there and i like Coney Island. been there and i personally like the seaview cos the kids will have their meals facing the sea. very nice environment. can check it out.

Hi Samval
how are you doing?
What is the name of the childcare centre at ponggol 24th avenue?
i have heard of it but forgot the name...

thanks

hi samval,
thanks for the info.

I've drove into 24th ave to have a look and it's quite a long stretch of quiet road from punggol main road to the end. I didn't really like it cos the feeling is like 'deserted on an island' .

Samval, LV,

What's the name of the childcare centre at punggol 24th avenue? Where exactly is that? Can share? I thought of driving there and have a look.

Thanks.

All,

My son just turned 1 year old and he's currently with his babysitter, all's well and good. I don't think I will send him to CCC that early, not even 18mths old, probably when he's much older like 2 or 3yrs old? At least his immune system is stronger, coz I've heard a lot of stories of kids falling sick so frequently, some fortnightly, some every month and also about the meals - they have specific timing for meals and if the child is a fussy eater or so happened that he/she is sick, loss of appetite, what the teacher can do is the most coax them to eat and they can't force them right? So once they miss their meals, they have nothing to eat in between and will have to wait till the next timing. It's not like having a babysitter, at least the bbsitter will try feeding again in the next hour and attention is 1-to-1. Some I heard sending them to MMI is a total waste of $$, might as well use that to buy educational toys or buy insurance for them coz it's just lip service that MMI gives and they don't live up to their name and what they preach and you and I know that the fees that they are charging are really exorbitant! Worst still, the kids don't learn much at the end of the day. With all these in mind, that's why I'm having second thoughts of sending my son to CCC.

What's your views? Any bad encounters?

hi cloud9mummy,
i will only be sending my boy to CCC when he turns 3.
Meantime, i will send him to playgroup next year just for 1.5 hours daily.

As for MMI, good and bad opinions along the way and I also feel it is a waste of $$ cos I have friends nephews who went for montessori classes find themselves diffcult to adapt to the our singapore education system..
so am not sending my boy to any montessori system. I think this system is still good but just not applicable to Singapore

hi all,
sorry for the late reply. couldn't find the thread. the childcare i recommend at pggl 24th ave is Coney Island.

Hi all, I only came across this thread as we would like to find out more about MMI SK.

Our 4-yr son is now at "Coney Island", now called "Carpe Diem" with new management since last Sep. He was there since Oct. We are scouting for another childcare ctr around Sengkang and would like advice on MMI services. Reason for change is becoz Carpe Diem English teachers standard is poor, eg in the newsletter "letters starts with a, b, c", that's unacceptable and my so picked up rude words & expressions. A kid even said "I smack you" shortly after he greeted my son.

Since your last thread till now, I wonder if any of you put your kid in MMI SK? We were there this morning & was impressed with the school & teachers, at least English was properly spoken.

Thanks very much!!!

Hi,
I'm trying to revive this thread because I'm looking for one for my child this Nov. Anyone have any updates to share about child care centres in SK? Thanks in advance.

Hi SK area mummies,
I am too looking for a school for my 2 years old son. I am NOT looking into childcare centre. I am looking at more on playgroup but a 1-2 hours on weekdays thing. But seems like I couldn't be able to find one. Any mummy here knows about such similiar programme in SK even Upper Serangoon area?

Hi everyone,

I eventually enrolled my DD with MMI SK when she was 18.5 mths (July 06) and from my experience, they are not as good as their name seemed to be. One sad thing to say, they are not keen in potty training. Or shld I say, my DD's teacher at that time has no time to follow up with the potty training I started at home. DD got a few cases of redness at diaper area and for once and first time in her life, she got a fungal infection at her diaper area. Never before under my care had she gotten this kind of problems.
sad.gif

The good points; my DD likes school and enjoyed herself very much. She got along well with her friends in class and as she is the youngest in her class, she learnt a lot, in terms of speaking, from her friends.

Anyway, my DD has left the centre. She was there for like 7mths. The downsides plus the frequent falling sick prompted us to withdraw her. I would not recommend MMI SK to fellow mommies in here. For the fees we pay, we just feel that my DD was getting the discounted services.

Just sharing my two cents' worth in here.
happy.gif

Hi missylan,

I am looking at SK Methodist Church, Anchorvale road. They have nursery classes (3 hrs) and our kiddos (my DD's also 2.5 yrs now) can start next year. It's the school holidays now and I will pop by end june to check them out. www.skmc.org.sg

I managed to find that only APPLE TREE have the playgroup which I am looking for... 1 hour from Mon-Fri

Oh, hehe!
happy.gif

Which apple tree u aiming, missylan? I also have one centre near my place but have not check them out yet....

Hi,

My son 5yrs old K1, he is with My Little Cottage @ Rivervale since N2. So far very happy with the teachers and the circurrulum.

Hi Doreen
Can give more details abt My Little Cottage? Like the student-teacher ratio and whether they are pro-potty training etc?

I am also keen in putting my gal there next year. Is the waiting list long?

Hello

Any feedback on SengKang Methodist Church? I have enrolled my dd for nursery next year. Its a done deal but wanna knw how's the school like as still able to withdraw now if its really no good.

Like the big space and the indoor playarea so that's y signed her up.

I dun hv good impression with MMI. Enrolled for trial for my dd when she is 18mths and find tat the teachers are not really caring and all pulled a long face so in the end never continue...

hi missylan,

there are talent plus n tots house playgroup in Seng Kang area. Not too sure which part of Seng Kang you are looking at. All these are in the void deck, tat is, a classroom in the RC.

Hi tzac,

I've also enrolled my DD for nursery classes @ SKMC! I too liked the indoor play area, but find the classrooms small. Am not sure how good they are, just knew that slots were filling up fast.

Btw, when did u enrol? I did it in June and was told that the morning session was already full; so DD would be in the PM session.

Hi Cyan,

Wow, so our dds will be in the same school though not in same class. I cannot remember exactly when I enrol but did it on the 1st day when it is opened to the public..Hahaha me super ks as wanna her to be in the morning session...

Really?? Think I better give them a call to check which session she will be in. We are not told which session she will be in when my hubby went down to register.

Agree w u that the class rooms are small for 18 kids in a class but this seem to be the best among kindergardens in SK. Seen St Anne Church but the play area is really hot as there is no shelter at all.

Me like Pats schoolhouse but too bad, my hubby dun like the sch environment....

Back