KKH Subsidised(Not TPS) or Private?

meowycute

Is kkh subsidised(not tps, those random gynae one) cheaper or private?

Subsidised is around 30+ consultation (but ultrasound?)
Whats the total like?

And versus Private package example 900 thru out whole pregnancy. Which is cheaper? if its around the same i will go for private for waiting privilege.

I hope to deliver at KKH. I dont mind those lousy sonograms etc but i mind who is stitching up after episotomy.
Am i able to (pay more) more a better dr only for delivery if i go thru subsidised?

As this is not my first child, i wish to save and is not fussy . I know what i need to do etc.. thus just need someone good to do episotomy

i may be wrong but i think at kkh subsidised ultrasounds are not done at every scan.

and if u are at kkh as a subsidised patient u cannot designate the gynae who will be attending to ur delivery.

i may be wrong but i think at kkh subsidised ultrasounds are not done at every scan.

and if u are at kkh as a subsidised patient u cannot designate the gynae who will be attending to ur delivery.
Yes they are not done at every scan but u can request for it..

I know that. Thats why i asked if i could top up more for a better gynae to deliver only on delivery day

Yes they are not done at every scan but u can request for it..

I know that. Thats why i asked if i could top up more for a better gynae to deliver only on delivery day

As the gynae is not with u throughout ur pregnancy. Thus those "higher skilled" ones might not wanna take up ur case during delivery.

However those junior doctors will most likely be incharge as seniors ones all most dun wan handle case that they dun handle

So normally if wan to go subsidized route then switch to private(can choose doc) muz do so around week 20 onwards.. after detail scan...

Else wait till 3rd trimester guess not much wanna take up ur case

I was from private at KKH previously. Which I find v expensive cause they don't have package like private gynaes. I've a friend who went the subsidized till late pregnancy. There won't be a designated doctor to see you at each of your visit. However it's really cheap like $30+ each time. You can request to switch to private after that, but depends on availability of the doctor that u request for.

My sister went to kkh under private rates with a fixed gyne that she seen fr pregnancy till delivery. She n I gave birth this year. She stayed in one bedded and her bill was so cheap! After medisave cash outlay was only 2k while mine from private hospital 7k cash

As the gynae is not with u throughout ur pregnancy. Thus those "higher skilled" ones might not wanna take up ur case during delivery.

However those junior doctors will most likely be incharge as seniors ones all most dun wan handle case that they dun handle

So normally if wan to go subsidized route then switch to private(can choose doc) muz do so around week 20 onwards.. after detail scan...

Else wait till 3rd trimester guess not much wanna take up ur case
And not to mention, if you upgrade to be a private patient, the baby nursery charges are also adjusted accordingly as baby is also considered a private patient. So when you top up to be a pte patient at KKH, it isnt just you, but you and baby.

May friend said If nature birth, KKH subsidized $600 cash, private $3000 cash.

Go for KKH's subsidized will save a lot money, but if unlucky kena Medical officer instead of Doctor. Worst thing will be medical students.

Go for KKH's subsidized will save a lot money, but if unlucky kena Medical officer instead of Doctor. Worst thing will be medical students.

Private a1 class need pay deposit $2650. (I juz enquired)

Kkh subsidized no need pay deposit if u choose c class.
But u will be delivered by midwife instead of a doc. N medical students can come n take u as case study to learn .

If u choose private in the 1st place n if anything happen ur gynae can advise to downgrade to subsidized rate but he will still help u deliver too. Coz he followed u since the start of the pregnancy.

But u will be delivered by midwife instead of a doc. N medical students can come n take u as case study to learn .

If u choose private in the 1st place n if anything happen ur gynae can advise to downgrade to subsidized rate but he will still help u deliver too. Coz he followed u since the start of the pregnancy.

Oh. If like that, in case of emergency c-section, also medical students step forward to cut my tummy? Use my tummy to practice "stitching skill"?

My hb "assisted" in a couple of deliveries for subsidised patients together with the midwife when he was a medical student. but he never went into the OT for a c-sec. And yes , he also did go around speaking to the subsidised patients/

hmmm Medical Officers are already full-fledged Drs. Just not as senior as the Registrar, AC, Con and Snr Con

Oh. If like that, in case of emergency c-section, also medical students step forward to cut my tummy? Use my tummy to practice "stitching skill"?
I dun think so for emergency. .. they may assist. But there confirm be senior doc around to supervise

Ya i mean even if they are allowed.. they are not the ones who cut .. they can only see... OT cannot play play leh...

But hor, medical students definitely need someone to practice "cut and stitch" one day mah, they will not alway watch and see ba?

But hor, medical students definitely need someone to practice "cut and stitch" one day mah, they will not alway watch and see ba?
they do learn some basic stitchign in school...using the surgical needle + thread and stitching it either on some foam or is it pig skin (not sure).

but i do know that the MOs may assist in the OT during the op though more likely than not the key person is the gynae as he/she is the one doing the main bulk of the work (and prolly teaching the jnrs etc).

Last edited:
And not to mention, if you upgrade to be a private patient, the baby nursery charges are also adjusted accordingly as baby is also considered a private patient. So when you top up to be a pte patient at KKH, it isnt just you, but you and baby.
I Dont mind paying more for delivery but seeing area where i can save on... gotta wait 2wks later for my next visit.. to comfirm subsidised rate. For those ppl who are keen, if you have the CHAS card, its only applicable for subsidised.
I honestly dont care who is delivering for me as i know what im doing. But im concerned if i need episotomy who will stitch for me..

Not true. I checked before. If got to the subsisidised (im talking about the 6bedded no aircon kind). They will not follow. Most TPS gynae has a requirement of at least B1 etc

Not true. I checked before. If got to the subsisidised (im talking about the 6bedded no aircon kind). They will not follow. Most TPS gynae has a requirement of at least B1 etc

I think it depends on ur gynae too..

My gynae assured me that he will follow me if suay suay i have to downgrade... thats for urgent case that will expect baby to be in nicu with high cost...
That was in yr 2011 also... now i am not sure...

I Dont mind paying more for delivery but seeing area where i can save on... gotta wait 2wks later for my next visit.. to comfirm subsidised rate. For those ppl who are keen, if you have the CHAS card, its only applicable for subsidised.
I honestly dont care who is delivering for me as i know what im doing. But im concerned if i need episotomy who will stitch for me..
Then it may be better to be a private patient (be a subsidised pt first then upgrade is an option) so you know who is the one stitching for u...and if touchwood a c-sec is needed, u are also more reassured that the stitches at ur bikini line will be swee.

Then it may be better to be a private patient (be a subsidised pt first then upgrade is an option) so you know who is the one stitching for u...and if touchwood a c-sec is needed, u are also more reassured that the stitches at ur bikini line will be swee.
Yup thats what im going to do.. maybe at third trimester (36wks baby not premature i will upgrade)
As now im holding on to baby (with medications n bed rest) . Hoping baby will not be premature.. I very worried baby premature if i TPS. The bills will be crazy

Yup thats what im going to do.. maybe at third trimester (36wks baby not premature i will upgrade)
As now im holding on to baby (with medications n bed rest) . Hoping baby will not be premature.. I very worried baby premature if i TPS. The bills will be crazy
yes indeed! the bills are going to skyrocket.

do take care and rest well ( i presume u r in ur 1st tri? ). sayang ur LO and encourage him / her

I have this three decision to make.. which is better?

1)Subdsidised all the way , on delivery day ask medical students not to touch u at all even for episotomy
2)Change to TPS Gynae at 37wks but is a waste of money, cause u will force him not to touch u during the whole labour at all but only to stitch u up..not to mention incur more room cost
3) go back to the cheap private dr but u have 2 bad labour stories with him..dont want to risk having another bad labour story again..

3 is out...

1 - by going subsidized u agreed to have medical students along.. how to dun ask them to touch u ? I remember i was stitched by a young doc who is so un feeling.. dun care i pain or not

2- why become force him to dun touch u during whole labour ? I remember my gynae help me to deliver when i was abt to push n stitch me up after that

I don't get no. 2 also. why force him don't touch you? he is suppose to be there when you are pushing and help u deliver and after tat stitch you up.

Hi meowycute,
i think all 3 decisions are not possible.
1. When you choose subsidy, they would have told you and given you information in a list that you can't choose dr. Getting a medical student or junior dr will be unavoidable.
2. Changing to TPS at 37W? Would they allow? I think you have to change latest by 20weeks, otherwise, no doctors would want to take you (unless you are lucky).
3. if you are not comfortable with certain doctors, then don't make your life miserable by going back to him/her.

For my case, i have been with KKH for 1st pregnancy and currently for my 2nd, i chose KKH again. KKH private is definitely not cheap and might be more costly than other private gynaes who offer package.
My consultation each time is about $100 excluding vitamins.
I would suggest that if you want to be in goods hands and save money at the same time, go for subsidiesd till 20w, after that change to TPS till delivery so that you can have an experienced doctor to deliver for you.
During delivery, anything can happen. We want to be assured that we are in the hands of an experienced doctor we can trust in case of emergencies (not jus emergency c-sect).

For my friends in pte with package at other hospitals, they see dr every 2 weeks in 3rd trimester. For me, i see dr at 33w then 36 w then i think 38w and after that weekly/ alternate days at 39w.
We don't see dr that frequent in KKH so in a way we also save some money.

Hi

Acutally i also having this question. I am in my 14th week, and currently seeing both kkh as subsidised patient and my private. I was comtemplating to just stay with kkh due to cost. But having considered the delivery will be done by MO or MW, and so the stitch up, i have decided to just stick with my private for delivery. The cost at my gynae is fairly reasonable but i still see kkh cos i have Hyperemisis thus need the medication from kkh. I guess if you have cost concern, kkh subsidised is definitely cheaper.

3 is out...

1 - by going subsidized u agreed to have medical students along.. how to dun ask them to touch u ? I remember i was stitched by a young doc who is so un feeling.. dun care i pain or not

2- why become force him to dun touch u during whole labour ? I remember my gynae help me to deliver when i was abt to push n stitch me up after that
This is not the first birth and I am comfortable birthing the baby on my own.. I do not trust drs because most of them do decision which is best for them but not the mum due to the sg law. So I do not want anyone to touch me throughout the process.. I also have the right to refuse any medical procedures they want to do to me right.. Im not a prisoner there

I don't get no. 2 also. why force him don't touch you? he is suppose to be there when you are pushing and help u deliver and after tat stitch you up.
I do not wish any of them to assist with delivery.. I want them to let me do my things.. I only need someone to stitch me up only if I teared..

Hi melody123
1. I want no medical intervention at all for all the process including stitch if tear if im getting a student.
2.i have no choice as I have risk of premature. I do not wish to be laden in debt if so..
3. But hes cheaper than kkh in checking up.. Thats the thing

As I have prev risk of preterm I have no choice but to go regularly every few weeks to make sure everything is well.. And my private dr offers package of unlimited visits

My wife went through the subsidized method for KKH from the beginning until delivery. Now almost 2 weeks since delivery.

The limitation for subsidized is that you cannot go above Ward C and you cannot choose gynae. During your visits you may also have a student along with the gynae.

Both of us are PRs so we don't qualify for full subsidy that citizens have. However our normal consultation was around ~$40. If there was detailed ultrasound around $100. Detailed ultrasound was done every two months. However a less detailed one was done by the doctor at every checkup for heartbeat etc. I think.

Overall we spent around $1000 for everything leading up to delivery.

For delivery the estimated bill size going fully natural without epidural, assuming 4 hrs stay in delivery suite, and 2 nights ward stay, was around $2500. With CPF medisave contribution our cash out of pocket estimated at $300.

However in our case, after 5cm dilation, we opted for the Epidural (+$300) as the pain was too great. My wife used the Nitrous oxide gas until deciding to go epidural. Delivery was natural but assisted with forceps. The stay at the delivery suite was at least 14hrs (1hr = $30+ so 10hrs extra = $300).

Our baby was born in a distressed state. He had slight respiratory problems which sorted out within the first hour. He was also low weight at around 2.5kgs (but not underweight). The gynae advised admission into the Special Care Nursery for observation. He was kept there for 1 day (at least $200+).

My wife was kept at the ward for 2 nights as expected. Since the ward C's and even B2's were full she was placed in ward B1. Next day downgraded to ward B2. However I think there is no extra charge for this.

I have not received the bill yet. Maybe sometime this week. The above numbers are just my best guess. I hope it is under $5k.

I believe the subsidized route can be better than the private route as many doctors visited my wife. This means she got fresh eyes and fresh opinions each time she was visited. The quality of doctors for the lead up to delivery was good (according to my wife). The quality of doctors who attended my wife on delivery day was excellent. The midwives (there were two over the 14hr period) were excellent. The nurses were courteous and caring for my wife's stay at the wards. KKH does not skimp despite the subsidy.

A friend of mine went through a senior private doctor for his wife's checkups up to delivery. However on delivery day that doctor was not available. Furthermore there was a complication and his wife had to go through emergency caesarian. So it wasn't much worth it I think.

If I had something to complain about I would say that I was sometimes not given timely information as regards the baby's health. Much of why he was transferred to special care I only found out later when the nursery doctor spoke to me. It was agonizing to wait and not know exactly the reasons why. However once I learned the reasons it made sense. The doctor's did what was necessary for the baby.

I think that if your pregnancy is normal the subsidized route is better. Pregnancy and delivery are natural processes. Follow the well trodden down path where possible. If you have complications then private may be better but you need to determine exactly why (e.g - said private doctor is well experienced in a particular situation). But even in that case see if you can invest in a team of doctors as opposed to a single one, in order to avoid the problem my friend had.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
@PartThree

Thank you so much for the details. I have much more confidence to go KKH as a subsidized patient.

Currently I am going both KKH and private, because I still can't decide should I go for KKH subsidized or private.

All my friends warn me that KKH is not good, inexperienced medical officer, India Indian doctors (difficult for me to understand Indian English) and China Chinese nurses...etc...

@PartThree

Thank you so much for the details. I have much more confidence to go KKH as a subsidized patient.

Currently I am going both KKH and private, because I still can't decide should I go for KKH subsidized or private.

All my friends warn me that KKH is not good, inexperienced medical officer, India Indian doctors (difficult for me to understand Indian English) and China Chinese nurses...etc...

The delivery was supervised by a senior Indian lady doctor. But the actual delivery was done by a local Singaporean (I think) lady doctor. The Indian doctor was easy to understand for me. Most of the nurses we encountered were either Indian, Filipino or local or MY maybe. I did not feel that any of them had any communication problems. In fact my wife was very pleased at the care she received.

Our bill came in. Total hospital expenses was around $5k. Govt subsidy around 50% so $2.5k remaining. Plus add some expenses come up to $3k. They deducted $3k from my CPF account. After this they reimbursed for "antinatal claim" - around $1k - I think this is expenses for doctor visits over many months leading up to delivery day. So now I received bill saying credit amount $700. Basically KKH owes me this amount - to be paid by cheque.

Overall cost was $3k minus $700 = $2.3k. All paid by CPF. Not bad!

But case by case basis. Our situation there was little complication so cost was low. But I think the subsidized method has worked well for us financially. I am much relieved.

@PartThree Thankyou for sharing but im still skeptical of how the dr works.. i been through bad experiences like they cant see the baby clearly via Vaginal scan at 7wks+ and even 5-6wks+( they said that have sac no yolk. but detailed scan said other wise).. Its like , i dont know what to say but all last 3 pregnancies. baby was seen clearly via tummy scan at 5wk-6wks at my private gynae. The advises regarding medications also harm my child (as im still breastfeeding) for few days which im still clearly upset by it..

@PartThree Thankyou for sharing but im still skeptical of how the dr works.. i been through bad experiences like they cant see the baby clearly via Vaginal scan at 7wks+ and even 5-6wks+( they said that have sac no yolk. but detailed scan said other wise).. Its like , i dont know what to say but all last 3 pregnancies. baby was seen clearly via tummy scan at 5wk-6wks at my private gynae. The advises regarding medications also harm my child (as im still breastfeeding) for few days which im still clearly upset by it..
I went to KKH for 16weeks check up . That day, a medical student did ultrasound for me, she did something wrong then her supervisor asked her:"why u didn't do ******?." She replied:" I was too nervous and forgot it." At that time, I really didn't know what's went wrong, but as a patient lying on bed and listing their conversation really feel insecure.

In our case sometimes the scan person commented that cannot see something (E.g - nose) as baby is turned to one side and have to wait till baby turns around. Seems like baby is very active inside as in the scan you can see it moving a lot. Maybe position problem? KKH have normal scan and detailed scan. Detailed scan is held later I think - start from 2 or 3 months and every other month thereafter. Unless there is a problem they will not have detailed scan every time as it is costly. Otherwise not sure.

I went to KKH for 16weeks check up . That day, a medical student did ultrasound for me, she did something wrong then her supervisor asked her:"why u didn't do ******?." She replied:" I was too nervous and forgot it." At that time, I really didn't know what's went wrong, but as a patient lying on bed and listing their conversation really feel insecure.

If you follow the subsidized route you may have students do things but under supervision. Ultrasound is safe even if muck up I think - it is not like x-ray which can be dangerous. I think it's still OK because these are medical students and will have some minimum training. There may be mistakes made but they are not likely to be serious. In order to avoid liability and lawsuit, KKH will be following what most teaching hospitals around the world follow in how much exposure they allow to students.

Generally, if you have the cash then go with what you like. Our thinking was that if the detailed scan and Dr say that everything is normal then do what everyone else does. Why do something different? So my wife and I agree to subsidized route because there was no reason to do anything extra. If there was complication then it can make sense to go private. But if no complication, everything looks normal, then the mass-produced, well trodden path may be best. Also it is much much easier on the wallet.

In our case sometimes the scan person commented that cannot see something (E.g - nose) as baby is turned to one side and have to wait till baby turns around. Seems like baby is very active inside as in the scan you can see it moving a lot. Maybe position problem? KKH have normal scan and detailed scan. Detailed scan is held later I think - start from 2 or 3 months and every other month thereafter. Unless there is a problem they will not have detailed scan every time as it is costly. Otherwise not sure.

Thing is it isnt about the face now.. They cant even see the yolk/baby even using vaginal scan. When at private gynae at this stage, with tummy scan already can see yolk with sac...

Thing is it isnt about the face now.. They cant even see the yolk/baby even using vaginal scan. When at private gynae at this stage, with tummy scan already can see yolk with sac...
There are several possible explanations to this.

Perhaps u may wish to see ur pte gynae for a 2nd opinion just to be sure?

KKH Private is about 120 per consultation visit excl medicine. Weekdays are cheaper at about 90. But I dont find the Q fast cause at times still need to wait about an hr. Best is take Sat morning appt cause v little ppl and I norm take 8am slot. Delivery wise private u hv ur own gynae. KKH allow u to downgrade but if u came from other hosp and trsf to KKH.. Thr fee is horrible. I am a diabetic patient so I took KKH Private in case of complications. My bill for delivery at 37 wk still have refunds back after deducting deposit hahaha. I had a complication at 34 wk and was warded at 34wk.. But was allowed to downgrade... I dun regret choosing this option but of cos if u want top CS service like short waiting time, KKH is not the kind.. Taking medicine takes abt an hour at timea

I felt KKH is not as emphatic cause in my first trim scan baby suspected of Trisomy disorder. My world fell apart but the KKH staff say things as though they dun feel a thing. And u dun get.personalised svc as per other hosp where gynae entertain phone calla from patients. Kkh do not entertain that

Not true. I took C class during my 34wk warded to labour ward. I am. TPS patient

Back