IVF in 2021?

penguin_lover

Hi, wondering if anyone is trying IVF this year? Husband and I have been ttc for 2 yrs, we've tried 2 cycles of IUI and both failed. We were referred to Dr Jessie Phoon at KKH, will be seeing her this week. I have 2 questions..
- Has anyone had bad side-effects from the IVF drugs? Like depression, etc caused by the elevated hormones
- Any good/bad personal experience with Dr Phoon?

Hi, wondering if anyone is trying IVF this year? Husband and I have been ttc for 2 yrs, we've tried 2 cycles of IUI and both failed. We were referred to Dr Jessie Phoon at KKH, will be seeing her this week. I have 2 questions..
- Has anyone had bad side-effects from the IVF drugs? Like depression, etc caused by the elevated hormones

Hi penguin_lover

Would you share your experience with dr Jessie too.?? I’m seeing her this week too..
I’m planning to try ivf this year after 2 cycle of iui

Hi penguin_lover

Would you share your experience with dr Jessie too.?? I’m seeing her this week too..
I’m planning to try ivf this year after 2 cycle of iui

Hi! she’s a very nice dr, except that she had to step out for a procedure for >1hr, so everyone had to wait for her to come back. Then I think because of the backlog of patients, the consult felt a bit rushed. But she was still very professional, and went through the process of IVF with us quite thoroughly, etc.

Did you do your IUI at a private clinic??

Hi! she’s a very nice dr, except that she had to step out for a procedure for >1hr, so everyone had to wait for her to come back. Then I think because of the backlog of patients, the consult felt a bit rushed. But she was still very professional, and went through the process of IVF with us quite thoroughly, etc.

Did you do your IUI at a private clinic??
Yes I did mine at private clinic. As the cost was high so I decided to switch to kkh for ivf. Can I know the waiting period for ivf?

Yes I did mine at private clinic. As the cost was high so I decided to switch to kkh for ivf. Can I know the waiting period for ivf?

Same. Apparently in Feb KKHIVF lab is closed for cleaning & CNY. And March is already fully booked. So she told me I will likely have to wait til April for a slot. They don’t let you fix the appointment on the spot, which is quite disappointing. Basically you have to wait for them to call you up for the counselling session ~1 month before your allocated IVF date. So I am hoping to get the call by March (for counselling) and IVF early April.

Hi, we’re also opting for ivf @ KKH this time. Failed so-iui x1 cycle. Just reading through the experiences shared by you guys here

Same. Apparently in Feb KKHIVF lab is closed for cleaning & CNY. And March is already fully booked. So she told me I will likely have to wait til April for a slot. They don’t let you fix the appointment on the spot, which is quite disappointing. Basically you have to wait for them to call you up for the counselling session ~1 month before your allocated IVF date. So I am hoping to get the call by March (for counselling) and IVF early April.

Where did you do you iui previously at?? Meanwhile can only wait for their call..? Do u have to go thru other check or u can directly do ivf?

Where did you do you iui previously at?? Meanwhile can only wait for their call..? Do u have to go thru other check or u can directly do ivf?

I did it at ACJ private clinic. What about you?
Yes for now I can only wait for their call for the counselling session. Btn now and then, no more checks.

Reactions: Tpt
I did it at ACJ private clinic. What about you?
Yes for now I can only wait for their call for the counselling session. Btn now and then, no more checks.

I wen to Kelly Loi at mount e. Would u like to discuss it in whatapps to share the journey together?

Hi,

I'm with Dr Jessie Phoon. Did my IVF last 2 month but failed. Not trying to scare you, I had OHSS and got a mild stroke during this process.. And now, my right eyesight corner is blurry.. This is the side effect for me..

Hi ladies,

Anyone mind sharing any price list from private hospital for IVF.

I did my IVF at KKH with Dr Jessie Phoon and it turned out to be a bad experience for me. Dr Jessie Phoon is a nice lady but is just that the procedure will be done by different doctors like follicles scan, review and the only time you got to see your doctor is only when the last step of IVF which is ER and ET. Cut the story short, I had OHSS and a mild stroke because I was producing 33 eggs which is too much and this is cause by hormones injection and my body reacted.

Now, doc gave me till March to think if I still want to continue my IVF journey BUT she mention that she cant promise me that this wont happen again and of course, I got trauma by all this.

: (

Hi ladies,

I did my IVF at KKH with Dr Jessie Phoon and it turned out to be a bad experience for me. Dr Jessie Phoon is a nice lady but is just that the procedure will be done by different doctors like follicles scan, review and the only time you got to see your doctor is only when the last step of IVF which is ER and ET. Cut the story short, I had OHSS and a mild stroke because I was producing 33 eggs which is too much and this is cause by hormones injection and my body reacted.

Now, doc gave me till March to think if I still want to continue my IVF journey BUT she mention that she cant promise me that this wont happen again and of course, I got trauma by all this.

Your case sounds very serious, and I agree with you it is good to seek second opinion before you commit to doing another round at KK. Hope your condition will get better over time.

I am not sure about private rates but you can still claim Medisave at private clinics if you haven't finished the 15K limit per couple.

I was also under Dr Jessie and failed 2 times IVF + 1 SO-IUI under her. Though I agree she is a nice lady and there are many successes under her, this kind of thing is really about luck and individual condition.

Reactions: SRA
Hi,

I'm with Dr Jessie Phoon. Did my IVF last 2 month but failed. Not trying to scare you, I had OHSS and got a mild stroke during this process.. And now, my right eyesight corner is blurry.. This is the side effect for me..

Wow. Can I ask if you did SO-IUI before? Did you have OHSS or any such side effects from that? Bcos the Dr said that if I had no bad side effects from the SO-IUI drugs, then the IVF stim should not affect me too badly also.

Hi ladies,

Hi can I know if u r under subsidy or private? As for the diff doctor that did the check for you are you able to choose doctor? As I’m more comfortable with female doctor only.

Your case sounds very serious, and I agree with you it is good to seek second opinion before you commit to doing another round at KK. Hope your condition will get better over time.

I am not sure about private rates but you can still claim Medisave at private clinics if you haven't finished the 15K limit per couple.

I was also under Dr Jessie and failed 2 times IVF + 1 SO-IUI under her. Though I agree she is a nice lady and there are many successes under her, this kind of thing is really about luck and individual condition.

Yes, I agree.. is all about luck. Very sad that I belongs to that 1% of rare cases like this.. so suay!!

Anyway, for private clinics, we still can use gov grant? I've used 1 time IUI and 1 time IVF.. Do you happen to know if I can have all my reports if requested? So that I dont need to explain to the next clinic that I'm going to..

Wow. Can I ask if you did SO-IUI before? Did you have OHSS or any such side effects from that? Bcos the Dr said that if I had no bad side effects from the SO-IUI drugs, then the IVF stim should not affect me too badly also.

Hi dear,

I did not do SO-IUI but I did IUI 1 time. When doing IUI, my follicles were growing very slow even tho I was given high dosage. I did not have any side effect for my IUI but I do have bloated stomach (but that's normal), and compare with IVF, my stomach was much more bloated.

Hi can I know if u r under subsidy or private? As for the diff doctor that did the check for you are you able to choose doctor? As I’m more comfortable with female doctor only.

Hi dear,

All IVF patient will be consider as private in KKH. At first, I also went to poly to get referral letter for subsidy. But once you sign up for fertility treatment, it will automatically change to Private Patient. But, you wont be able to choose your doctor there in KKH. You may get a 'surprise' doctor, like when you enter in the room, you will see female nurse and standby all the things and then the next minute, a male doc will enter the room to do the procedure. So, you have no time to be 'paiseh'...

: )

Hi dear,

All IVF patient will be consider as private in KKH. At first, I also went to poly to get referral letter for subsidy. But once you sign up for fertility treatment, it will automatically change to Private Patient. But, you wont be able to choose your doctor there in KKH. You may get a 'surprise' doctor, like when you enter in the room, you will see female nurse and standby all the things and then the next minute, a male doc will enter the room to do the procedure. So, you have no time to be 'paiseh'...

: )

Hi I didn’t get any referral letter from poly so I made appt with an appointed doctor..

Hi I didn’t get any referral letter from poly so I made appt with an appointed doctor..

Hi,

I think you mean that you are in under Private patient, meaning you choose your own doctor.

For that, I'm not too sure dear how's the procedure be like..

Yes, I agree.. is all about luck. Very sad that I belongs to that 1% of rare cases like this.. so suay!!

Anyway, for private clinics, we still can use gov grant? I've used 1 time IUI and 1 time IVF.. Do you happen to know if I can have all my reports if requested? So that I dont need to explain to the next clinic that I'm going to..

Private clinic cannot use Govt grant
Only can use Medisave

Just to share my experience as private patient in KK (without poly referral). In KK, whether or not we are private patient, we will see our appointed doctor before IVF for consultation, and during egg retrieval and egg transfer. During the IVF stimulation phase itself, we will see random doctors that may or may not be our appointed doctor. For myself, I did not see Dr Jessie during this stimulation period.

Private clinic can only use medisave, no government grant.

I think we can request reports from our doctor. I will make appt with Dr Jessie to get my records end of this month.

Private clinic can only use medisave, no government grant.

I think we can request reports from our doctor. I will make appt with Dr Jessie to get my records end of this month.

I did asked for my report but the report wasnt given to me on the spot. She told me the next appt she will pass to me which is on March.. I'm afraid she would forget and then I need to come back again for just the reports.

Where you going to? Which clinic?

Just to share my experience as private patient in KK (without poly referral). In KK, whether or not we are private patient, we will see our appointed doctor before IVF for consultation, and during egg retrieval and egg transfer. During the IVF stimulation phase itself, we will see random doctors that may or may not be our appointed doctor. For myself, I did not see Dr Jessie during this stimulation period.

Oh really.. So meaning to say private or subsidy for IVF, they will treat you the same..

HHHMMMM...

I did asked for my report but the report wasnt given to me on the spot. She told me the next appt she will pass to me which is on March.. I'm afraid she would forget and then I need to come back again for just the reports.

Where you going to? Which clinic?
I haven't decided yet, still considering.

Hello penguin lover, I'm seeing both private and KKH. Will be doing egg retrieval with my private dr next week and FET next month at Virtus. Because Dr Phoon said we are not qualified for IVF yet, so I don't really have much to share with you about this Dr. There's no grant for doing IVF with private clinic, thk only through the three gov hospitals are eligible if I'm not wrong. But we still can use medisave to cover some of the costs (1st $6k, 2nd 5k, 3rd 4k).

So far no major side effects from the IVF drugs, maybe because i only have 13 follicles? I only felt nauseous and mild cramps on and off, which is actually milder than my clomid cycle last year. Can eat sleep and work as usual. Hopefully will not develop OHSS after HCG injection tonight (pray hard). Our hormone levels and follicle growth must be monitored closely enough so that the Dr can give us minimum dosage for the best response.

hi! I did so-iui in kkh last month, unsuccessful. Abit demoralizing but i think iui is just waste of time. During the puregon injections, i did fall sick first few days. Had feverish, bad cramps, very dehydrated. But it went away on its own. I drank 100plus and really helps w that cramp and dehydration.

Hi ladies,

Hi SRA, sorry to hear that. OHSS and mild stroke sounds really scary, hope you're fine now. May I know which med that caused the OHSS, before or after ER?

My private gynae charge me ~5.5k for tests, scans and med during IVF cycle. But the cost varies depend on what med you're given. Mine was Gonal-F, Orgalutran, Ovidrel and Decapeptyl. Because their nurse helped to collect leftover med in each Gonal-F pen (they say not every clinic will do this for the patients) so save me ard $300 for the last dose. Whereas for the procedures he is using Virtus facility. The theatre and lab charge 9k+ for egg retrieval and 4k+ for frozen embryo transfer. Hope this helps :)

Hi ladies,

I have stage 4 endometriosis and ttc for more than 2yrs. Will be seeing Dr Yu from SGH this wed.

Really contemplating becos of the unknowns. Hope I'll find my answer on Wed.

Baby dust to all!

Hi ladies,

I have stage 4 endometriosis and ttc for more than 2yrs. Will be seeing Dr Yu from SGH this wed.

Really contemplating becos of the unknowns. Hope I'll find my answer on Wed.

Baby dust to all!
Hi Squarey, I have stage 4 endometriosis too. Have you had any cystectomy? If you have any cysts or polyps currently you will have to have them removed before the IVF.

Hello!:) I also have Endo stage 3/4 as well.. went through lap to remove 5cm ovarian cyst.. and some Endo + 1 polyp back in June 2020.. as I’m afraid the cyst will come back I’ll be doing IVF next month at NUH!
Hi Squarey, I have stage 4 endometriosis too. Have you had any cystectomy? If you have any cysts or polyps currently you will have to have them removed before the IVF.

Hello!:) I also have Endo stage 3/4 as well.. went through lap to remove 5cm ovarian cyst.. and some Endo + 1 polyp back in June 2020.. as I’m afraid the cyst will come back I’ll be doing IVF next month at NUH!
Me too! I had my lap just last month to remove 6cm ovarian cyst and 7 other small cysts/polyps. I am super worried that they will come back, as in Nov alone I had 5 new ~2cm cysts. I am waiting for KKHIVF's call, but they said probably only start in my April cycle. Between now and April... 4 whole months for the cysts to come back o_O quite likely to happen. Just wondering how long your wait at NUH was?

Hi SRA, sorry to hear that. OHSS and mild stroke sounds really scary, hope you're fine now. May I know which med that caused the OHSS, before or after ER?

My private gynae charge me ~5.5k for tests, scans and med during IVF cycle. But the cost varies depend on what med you're given. Mine was Gonal-F, Orgalutran, Ovidrel and Decapeptyl. Because their nurse helped to collect leftover med in each Gonal-F pen (they say not every clinic will do this for the patients) so save me ard $300 for the last dose. Whereas for the procedures he is using Virtus facility. The theatre and lab charge 9k+ for egg retrieval and 4k+ for frozen embryo transfer. Hope this helps :)

Hi Dear,

I dont think the medicine was the caused of me having OHSS. Because I have PCOS, and my body reacted on the high dosage that the doc gave and developed 33 eggs when retrieval. I think that's the cause of me having OHSS and I'm not drinking enough water after the retrieval. I dont eat well too.

Yes, i'm feeling better now but it's just that my eyesight is not normal as before. I'm not sure whether to continue my IVF journey or not as Im still having trauma. I'm thinking of second opinion but it will be hassle for me as I need to tell my story to the doctor from A to Z..

What do you think?

Sadly, I've alrdy had 2 excision surgery to remove endo.
The recent one was in July 2020.
Had been trying naturally since September but no luck :(

Sadly, I've alrdy had 2 excision surgery to remove endo.
The recent one was in July 2020.
Had been trying naturally since September but no luck :(
Me too! I had my lap just last month to remove 6cm ovarian cyst and 7 other small cysts/polyps. I am super worried that they will come back, as in Nov alone I had 5 new ~2cm cysts. I am waiting for KKHIVF's call, but they said probably only start in my April cycle. Between now and April... 4 whole months for the cysts to come back o_O quite likely to happen. Just wondering how long your wait at NUH was?
Wow how did so many cyst occur just in one month? Isit all Endo chocolate cyst? Or water cyst?

Were both of you consuming lots of soy/ dairy/ chicken wings? Might have sped up the growth consuming these

NUH.. I went to prof in Nov, but it was mainly to chope slot in Feb- I didn’t ask what’s the fastest slot haha..

Fingers crossed for all 3 of us!

Wow how did so many cyst occur just in one month? Isit all Endo chocolate cyst? Or water cyst?

Were both of you consuming lots of soy/ dairy/ chicken wings? Might have sped up the growth consuming these

NUH.. I went to prof in Nov, but it was mainly to chope slot in Feb- I didn’t ask what’s the fastest slot haha..

Fingers crossed for all 3 of us!

Yes... No cure for Endo yet. Just hope it doesn't come back so soon.
My friend has endo n got pregnant naturally.
So guess I'm not as lucky.

Really hope we could all have a healthy baby this year! Let's keep each other updated!

Hi Dear,

I dont think the medicine was the caused of me having OHSS. Because I have PCOS, and my body reacted on the high dosage that the doc gave and developed 33 eggs when retrieval. I think that's the cause of me having OHSS and I'm not drinking enough water after the retrieval. I dont eat well too.

Yes, i'm feeling better now but it's just that my eyesight is not normal as before. I'm not sure whether to continue my IVF journey or not as Im still having trauma. I'm thinking of second opinion but it will be hassle for me as I need to tell my story to the doctor from A to Z..

What do you think?

I see. Maybe can give yourself a little break and try other alternatives like TCM to adjust the body before embarking on another IVF journey? Please don't give up! (hugsss) There are many ladies from this forum who encountered bad experience / failed cycles who eventually got pregnant. Jiayou ! No harm seeking second opinion since you've already spent so much time and effort. I myself have seen three doctors, and stick with the one I think is most caring and careful. Maybe you can make a chart of your IVF journey (cycle day, med use, Estradiol level and follie size etc) so to get more opinions without having to repeat verbally every time? The Dr should be able to customize a more appropriate protocol for you to lower risk for OHSS. As far as I know there are many different protocols and Ivf drugs available. I'm sure you will be given extra care with the past history.

I see. Maybe can give yourself a little break and try other alternatives like TCM to adjust the body before embarking on another IVF journey? Please don't give up! (hugsss) There are many ladies from this forum who encountered bad experience / failed cycles who eventually got pregnant. Jiayou ! No harm seeking second opinion since you've already spent so much time and effort. I myself have seen three doctors, and stick with the one I think is most caring and careful. Maybe you can make a chart of your IVF journey (cycle day, med use, Estradiol level and follie size etc) so to get more opinions without having to repeat verbally every time? The Dr should be able to customize a more appropriate protocol for you to lower risk for OHSS. As far as I know there are many different protocols and Ivf drugs available. I'm sure you will be given extra care with the past history.

Having said that, probably a private fertility specialist is better coz you will be seeing the same Dr for each follow up. Same Dr doing egg retrieval and transfer as well :)

Jiayou!!

Hi all... Im wondering if theres any whatsapp group chat for Ivf2021?

I personally done SO-IUI last year & IVF this year at kkh. Both failed... so I hope Im able to try IVF again soon.

SO-IUI, I tried it via subsidized route under Dr Jerry Chan. However, I did not get to see him at all, not even once. My SO-IUI procedure was done by a random female doctor. It’s a blessing in disguise for me as I realised Im more comfortable with female doctors. So upon going for IVF, I made a switched to private route in order to choose the doctor I want. I chose Dr Liu Shuling as I saw good reviews about her. I wanted to choose Dr Sadhana but was worried about the waiting time to make an appointment to see her. So I chose what I thought was the next best alternative.

I did my IVF in early Jan this year. I only had 2 eggs retrieved and I was lucky enough to have 1 egg fertilized. However, I did not managed to get pregnant :(

So far, I find Dr Liu not bad. She’s gentle when doing the ER & ET for me. Also, I find that she’s open & patient for discussion.

Will be seeing Dr Liu soon for review.

Let’s Jia You together ~

Hi all... Im wondering if theres any whatsapp group chat for Ivf2021?

I personally done SO-IUI last year & IVF this year at kkh. Both failed... so I hope Im able to try IVF again soon.

SO-IUI, I tried it via subsidized route under Dr Jerry Chan. However, I did not get to see him at all, not even once. My SO-IUI procedure was done by a random female doctor. It’s a blessing in disguise for me as I realised Im more comfortable with female doctors. So upon going for IVF, I made a switched to private route in order to choose the doctor I want. I chose Dr Liu Shuling as I saw good reviews about her. I wanted to choose Dr Sadhana but was worried about the waiting time to make an appointment to see her. So I chose what I thought was the next best alternative.

I did my IVF in early Jan this year. I only had 2 eggs retrieved and I was lucky enough to have 1 egg fertilized. However, I did not managed to get pregnant :(

So far, I find Dr Liu not bad. She’s gentle when doing the ER & ET for me. Also, I find that she’s open & patient for discussion.

Will be seeing Dr Liu soon for review.

Let’s Jia You together ~

Hi polar_lights, were you given the option to go straight to IVF initially? or you chose to go for SO IUI first?
I'm also interested to join the whatsapp group chat if any. :)

Dear all, I have an extra box of Ovidrel prefilled pen 250mcg leftover from last few natural cycles (Scan + HCG trigger + timed intercourse). Would like to give away for free because I was given another box of Ovidrel for IVF this month. I got it from my gynae at $120 last September, and have been keeping it in the fridge at stable temp btw 2-8 degree as instructed. Expiring in Nov 2021. Instead of keeping until it expires I thought might as well benefit any of you. Pm me if you're interested.

Hi Dear,

What do you think?

Hi dear,

What do you mean by eyesight is not normal as before? Will it get bette over time? The doctor didn’t lower the dosage to prevent more eggs?

I understand that having OHSS that cycle will be abort. Bt can still continue the next frozen cycle?

Hope you are better now.

Hi,

I am currently on my second IVF cycle. Embryo transfer will be on next Tuesday.
I don’t have any side effects from the IVF drugs. The injection is not as painful as I thought as the needle is quite thin.
I am not doing at KKH.

Hi all, I believe many of you here have experienced the IVF process.

I just had my first SOIUI don& in my tww now. I'm planning to go for IVF should this SOIUI cycle fail. I would like to know for those who have gone through both SOIUI & IVF, is the egg monitoring process the same for IVF? How frequent do you have to go to the hospital for scanning etc?

Also, if you're currently working, what excuse do you give your employer & colleagues for missing work due to the frequent hospital visit etc? I do not plan to disclose abt my TTC journey to them & I'm unsure of what to say if I'm away from work very often.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Hi all, I believe many of you here have experienced the IVF process.

I just had my first SOIUI don& in my tww now. I'm planning to go for IVF should this SOIUI cycle fail. I would like to know for those who have gone through both SOIUI & IVF, is the egg monitoring process the same for IVF? How frequent do you have to go to the hospital for scanning etc?

Also, if you're currently working, what excuse do you give your employer & colleagues for missing work due to the frequent hospital visit etc? I do not plan to disclose abt my TTC journey to them & I'm unsure of what to say if I'm away from work very often.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Hi roveramble, I never tell my boss and colleagues too. Before starting IVF I just asked my Dr and his assistant about how frequent I would need to visit the clinic. Their ans was: one visit on D2, and then every 3 days until egg retrieval, most ppl need four visits prior to the procedure. They also helped to arrange blood test and consultation appointment on the same day for me for each visit so that I don't have to take two half day leave. In total I made three trips, first on D2, second on D7, last trip on D11. ER on D14. By second visit the Dr already told me that most probably ER will fall on D14 based on the follicle growth, then I could apply AL at least one week in advance. But all these actually vary depends on the protocol and drugs given. Maybe you check with your Dr? For all the absent days I just told them I'm on course. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Hi roveramble, I never tell my boss and colleagues too. Before starting IVF I just asked my Dr and his assistant about how frequent I would need to visit the clinic. Their ans was: one visit on D2, and then every 3 days until egg retrieval, most ppl need four visits prior to the procedure. They also helped to arrange blood test and consultation appointment on the same day for me for each visit so that I don't have to take two half day leave. In total I made three trips, first on D2, second on D7, last trip on D11. ER on D14. By second visit the Dr already told me that most probably ER will fall on D14 based on the follicle growth, then I could apply AL at least one week in advance. But all these actually vary depends on the protocol and drugs given. Maybe you check with your Dr? For all the absent days I just told them I'm on course. Hope this helps :)

Hi broccoli
There will be 2-3 weeks of HL how do explain?
Bosses must be understanding during this period.

Back