IVF/ICSI Support Group

Maybe you wanna check with your clinic the estimated cost of a fresh cycle without transfer. If it is high enough to use all $7.7k of the co-funding, there is not much to lose, right?

Anyway, were you advised by your Dr to do frozen only? If not and your concern is to maximise the co-funding, will you consider a fresh cycle with transfer? But that said, sometimes it is not always possible to do a fresh transfer such as due to OHSS and progesterone level too high. My 4th fresh cycle ended without a transfer because my progesterone level was beyond the acceptable range. I froze 4 blasts that cycle instead.
My doc suggest frozen cos she say the trigger that she’s going to give me will cause not so good lining = cannot do fresh if not failed implantation. But I totally forgot to ask her so much things about whether is she giving me diff medicine for the stimulation and if the diff trigger shot benefits (that comes with a cons of thin lining) Ded... totally forgot and didn’t think about it cos the time for consultation seems limited ahha or it just didn’t cross my mind.

I haven done any yet.. but ask u. My doc say she going to give me another kind of trigger shot to yield more mature eggs but will cause the lining to be not so good for fresh transfer. What’s the type of trigger shot she’s referring to? I forgot to ask her Liao. To my understanding there’s two type - ovidrel and lupron.. does lupron provide more mature eggs? I read about it and a lot says it’s not as good as ovidrel though it reduces OHSS. I’m concern now... sigh you think can call back ivf to ask them?
If u have not done any FET, u still have 3x govt grant for FET. Some ladies strike with FET so I dont think its worth a try.

I'm not sure about the trigger cos I only had ovidrel b4. Yup perhaps u can call.

Maybe you wanna check with your clinic the estimated cost of a fresh cycle without transfer. If it is high enough to use all $7.7k of the co-funding, there is not much to lose, right?

Anyway, were you advised by your Dr to do frozen only? If not and your concern is to maximise the co-funding, will you consider a fresh cycle with transfer? But that said, sometimes it is not always possible to do a fresh transfer such as due to OHSS and progesterone level too high. My 4th fresh cycle ended without a transfer because my progesterone level was beyond the acceptable range. I froze 4 blasts that cycle instead.
I had never done fresh cycle transfer too. First time progesterone too high. Second time was cause too many eggs doc worried ohss.

My doc suggest frozen cos she say the trigger that she’s going to give me will cause not so good lining = cannot do fresh if not failed implantation. But I totally forgot to ask her so much things about whether is she giving me diff medicine for the stimulation and if the diff trigger shot benefits (that comes with a cons of thin lining) Ded... totally forgot and didn’t think about it cos the time for consultation seems limited ahha or it just didn’t cross my mind.
I think lining can work on it one. I rem my lining grow 4mm jus one day after I drank soya bean and red bean pancake at mr bean. Plus if your lining is not thick enuff they won’t suggest transfer. So I think for lining part you don worry so much

I think lining can work on it one. I rem my lining grow 4mm jus one day after I drank soya bean and red bean pancake at mr bean. Plus if your lining is not thick enuff they won’t suggest transfer. So I think for lining part you don worry so much
she say cos the trigger shot cause thin lining hence frozen. And i think the trigger shot she's going to give is lupron ba... since in market only these 2 for now. but i read a lot of lupron not giving mature eggs due to LH deficiency or sort hence im worried, anybody did lupron before? I think the end goal is to have as many eggs as possible hence she say going to increase my dose (think no change to medicine still gonal F only) which means may cause risk of OHSS hence she gave lupron but with lupron means cannot do fresh cos lining thin. I think la..

If u have not done any FET, u still have 3x govt grant for FET. Some ladies strike with FET so I dont think its worth a try.

I'm not sure about the trigger cos I only had ovidrel b4. Yup perhaps u can call.
yea but the fresh delayed cycle that become frozen will eat into my frozen 3 cycles... usually people do fresh is with transfer at day 5.. (so count as 1 time fresh), now it means ill be 1x fresh and 1 x frozen (even though its a 2nd fresh only).

she say cos the trigger shot cause thin lining hence frozen. And i think the trigger shot she's going to give is lupron ba... since in market only these 2 for now. but i read a lot of lupron not giving mature eggs due to LH deficiency or sort hence im worried, anybody did lupron before? I think the end goal is to have as many eggs as possible hence she say going to increase my dose (think no change to medicine still gonal F only) which means may cause risk of OHSS hence she gave lupron but with lupron means cannot do fresh cos lining thin. I think la..
I think maybe she want to yield many eggs and many eggs will increase ohss risk so she suggest frozen transfer. I also prefer fresh cos of the co funding benefits but if fet works better then also got to follow doc advice…

I think maybe she want to yield many eggs and many eggs will increase ohss risk so she suggest frozen transfer. I also prefer fresh cos of the co funding benefits but if fet works better then also got to follow doc advice…
yea lo no choice i think ill call kkh to ask about the funding... seems like use lupron to suppress ohss ba cos the 1st cycle i had 15 eggs but im already feeling unwell le.. so i guess she also feel if increase my dose = more eggs maybe ill feel worst.

is your medicine same throughout your cycles with just increase dose or got new medicine? mine didnt say add on new medicine like menopur

is your medicine same throughout your cycles with just increase dose or got new medicine? mine didnt say add on new medicine like menopur
I was never given menopur before. No new medicines except for 2 trigger shots. She increased my gonal f from 187.5 to 300 for second round ER.
and she change the protocol abit by giving me blocker first before starting gonal f.
I was given 2 trigger shots too. But I don rem their name.

yea but the fresh delayed cycle that become frozen will eat into my frozen 3 cycles... usually people do fresh is with transfer at day 5.. (so count as 1 time fresh), now it means ill be 1x fresh and 1 x frozen (even though its a 2nd fresh only).
Yes I know what u mean.. but if u were already not feeling well after retrieval, how can u expect the chances of success to be high if u do a fresh transfer.

I didn't have OHSS but I rem having diarrhoea and all after fresh cycle due to antibiotics.

My pte dr never do fresh transfers and it seems alot of pte practise prefer FET due to perhaps the body is better rested compared to fresh transfer and so higher success rate?

Cost is definitely higher.. but if it works then why not. Just my 2 cents worth la. I know alot of ladies succeed with fresh transfer too!

Too bad I never managed to succeed with fresh transfers at NUH if not can save $.

Anyone moved embryos from Govt hosp to private? I’m only left with one fet subsidy left. Just thinking ahead maybe next time do with Pte instead

Yes I know what u mean.. but if u were already not feeling well after retrieval, how can u expect the chances of success to be high if u do a fresh transfer.

I didn't have OHSS but I rem having diarrhoea and all after fresh cycle due to antibiotics.

My pte dr never do fresh transfers and it seems alot of pte practise prefer FET due to perhaps the body is better rested compared to fresh transfer and so higher success rate?

Cost is definitely higher.. but if it works then why not. Just my 2 cents worth la. I know alot of ladies succeed with fresh transfer too!

Too bad I never managed to succeed with fresh transfers at NUH if not can save $.
hha i see ok ill just give it a try and trust my doc n hope for the best liao lo.. u need to eat antibiotics til ER? i recalled mine is only on day of trigger shot. but yes i aso had diarrhoea right on the day of my ET and was quite bad.. maybe due to the bloated stomach and nauseous ba.

hha i see ok ill just give it a try and trust my doc n hope for the best liao lo.. u need to eat antibiotics til ER? i recalled mine is only on day of trigger shot. but yes i aso had diarrhoea right on the day of my ET and was quite bad.. maybe due to the bloated stomach and nauseous ba.
Can't rem the antibiotics was for how long already.. but I rem once I was having diarrhoea after the transfer.

Can't rem the antibiotics was for how long already.. but I rem once I was having diarrhoea after the transfer.
Same for me mine was stomach pain and I had to go toilet 4-6 times both times of my fet transfers.
For my next transfer I’ll ask dr can I skip that. My friend did skip cos she had bad side effects. And the cycle she didn’t take she bfp.

Same for me mine was stomach pain and I had to go toilet 4-6 times both times of my fet transfers.
For my next transfer I’ll ask dr can I skip that. My friend did skip cos she had bad side effects. And the cycle she didn’t take she bfp.
I see.. perhaps can ask.. for all my FETs I was not given antibiotics so I guess not impt?

I see.. perhaps can ask.. for all my FETs I was not given antibiotics so I guess not impt?
Yea me and my friend shared the same doc at kkh. Doc told her if got bad side effects then don’t take. Infection risk is there but very Low so is ok.
It was so discomfort for me. Stomach super pain

Yea me and my friend shared the same doc at kkh. Doc told her if got bad side effects then don’t take. Infection risk is there but very Low so is ok.
It was so discomfort for me. Stomach super pain
Actually over at nuh i dont think I was given also.

But anyway, hope u will get BFP next round.

i’m in the same situation as you, nothing to freeze which i’m not quite prepared for… thinking of starting again in october or november, meanwhile i’m still trying to recover from 1st fresh cycle.. feel my body very warm, and when menses came it’s less than normal, my normal is already light flow. I see the ladies in this forum those who BFN all had menses more than usual, abit worried for my case.

I think it is better for you to take a break not just physically but also mentally & emotionally. Rest and come back stronger.

To prepare for my 2nd cycle, i plan to be more physically active, try eating healthier, continue acupuncture & supplements (which i already did for 1st cycle), i’ve also signed up for fertility massage with Angelia (babies bliss). also wondering if i should switch tcm. hopefully will have better outcome. For me, age is catching up, you are still young don’t worry too much!

recover well and all the best!
Thanks dear. Sorry to hear about your BFN as well. My menses came normal but like you, I also felt very heaty after my menses. I’m booked in for September for my second cycle so I’m just keeping active and healthy. Haven’t considered fertility massage or TCM and might start doing so. All the best and let’s stay positive together.

Hello all jst seen my doc for review of failed first cycle, have decided to go with a second fresh cycle instead of my 1 leftover day 6 frozen embryo. Doc say can’t tell what’s wrong and could be generic issues with egg and sperm as all things looks good.. she suggest that I yield as many mature eggs for second cycle (means increase in dose) and do the pisci for the sperm, but this means my trigger shot has to be different and that will cause lining to be not so good for fresh transfer hence I need to freeze and go for FET after my fresh. I think she won’t add new medicine or change medicine and I’m concern.. thoughts? Anybody in the same case as me?
Hey. My doc gave me the exact feedback about genetics during my review and same action plan to do frozen transfer and picsi test. I’m booked in for September cycle and will be giving this a shot

Hey girl your hospital is where and who’s your doc? My next fresh in aug
Hey, it’s with Dr Sadhana at KKH. Based on our review I was supposed to be booked in for September but when IVF centre called me they said August. So I’m not sure if I should proceed with august or September (two months vs three month) break. Did your doc say anything about how long the break should be?

Hey, it’s with Dr Sadhana at KKH. Based on our review I was supposed to be booked in for September but when IVF centre called me they said August. So I’m not sure if I should proceed with august or September (two months vs three month) break. Did your doc say anything about how long the break should be?
Oh same as me! Same doc! Ahha she just told me is aug.. I haven wait for the call yet. What was your medicine for first fresh and how many embryos you have? Did she elaborate the difference for round 2? I forgot to ask her more about the diff treatment but she just say increase current dose, change trigger shot and do p-Isci.

Oh same as me! Same doc! Ahha she just told me is aug.. I haven wait for the call yet. What was your medicine for first fresh and how many embryos you have? Did she elaborate the difference for round 2? I forgot to ask her more about the diff treatment but she just say increase current dose, change trigger shot and do p-Isci.
What is this pisci? Did the dr explain?

What is this pisci? Did the dr explain?

PICSI is new to me too. It seems like another method to choose a better sperm for icsi injection.

Sharing an article from cityfertility.com.au,

"During ICSI, motile sperm are selected for injection on the basis of their morphology. The selection of sperm using this visual approach may not necessarily reflect the functionality of the sperm or its ability to fertilize an oocyte (egg). The PICSI dish provides a functional test to assist the embryologist’s selection of sperm for injection. The test is based on the ability of sperm to bind to hyaluronan (HA) hydrogel thus mimicking the natural binding of mature sperm to oocytes in the female.

Sperm in vivo (in nature) encounters HA in the cervical mucus and in the cumulus matrix surrounding the oocyte. Penetration of the cervical mucus and cumulus matrix by the sperm in vivo are critical elements in successful fertilization and subsequent embryo implantation; HA is vital in this interaction.

PICSI takes advantage of this naturally occurring encounter. A special dish with small dots of HA on the bottom of the dish is used with the standard ICSI injection. A drop of prepared sperm is added to the HA and the embryologist selects a HA bound sperm for injection. By selecting the sperm that are bound and using them for ICSI, the embryologists are preferentially using the better quality, more mature sperm."

Its about choosing best sperm. Dr. Sadhana had suggested us this for next cycle. I wonder why they don't tell about these different methods in first cycle itself :(
Usually first cycle is trial and error to see how well the body react to the medicines/jabs. Those who succeed on first try are very very lucky.

Anyone tried endo scratch? For doc review I tot of asking her to do endo scratch for me and also check my vitamin d level.
just wondering anyone checked this and how you probe the doc to do these checks or did doc suggest to you?

Anyone tried endo scratch? For doc review I tot of asking her to do endo scratch for me and also check my vitamin d level.
just wondering anyone checked this and how you probe the doc to do these checks or did doc suggest to you?

I did endo scratch before. I have failed and succeeded with it. I am willing to give it a try to enhance my chances.

Ah I see. She gave me almost the exact feedback she gave you. My first cycle I was on 150 gonal f and blocker (Orgalutran ?). I got 13 eggs, 7 embryos. One got transferred on day 4 (cos next day public holiday) and the rest of the six didn’t live till day 5. I had none to be frozen which was so demoralizing. She said this cycle most likely increase to 220 and also like you, will give different meds that will focus on getting more mature eggs instead of thickening the lining. So the end goal is to freeze as many but I don’t know if I’ll have high hopes since my first cycle they all didn’t survive.

Ah I see. She gave me almost the exact feedback she gave you. My first cycle I was on 150 gonal f and blocker (Orgalutran ?). I got 13 eggs, 7 embryos. One got transferred on day 4 (cos next day public holiday) and the rest of the six didn’t live till day 5. I had none to be frozen which was so demoralizing. She said this cycle most likely increase to 220 and also like you, will give different meds that will focus on getting more mature eggs instead of thickening the lining. So the end goal is to freeze as many but I don’t know if I’ll have high hopes since my first cycle they all didn’t survive.
mine she didn’t say diff medicine for stimulation but only increase doses. Then the trigger shot is diff did you ask her what type of trigger isit that cause thin lining?

mine she didn’t say diff medicine for stimulation but only increase doses. Then the trigger shot is diff did you ask her what type of trigger isit that cause thin lining?
Nope didn’t ask about that actually but I suppose once we go in for first scan the doc on call will explain more in detail. I’m tempted to now start in aug also! Might call and check with them again if doc is ok with aug or wants me to stick to sep. fingers crossed for us both dear

Nope didn’t ask about that actually but I suppose once we go in for first scan the doc on call will explain more in detail. I’m tempted to now start in aug also! Might call and check with them again if doc is ok with aug or wants me to stick to sep. fingers crossed for us both dear
So your first cycle isit in May? I think we same same month isit? Haha strange leh she told me aug.

U did endo scratch in a session on its own or u did it together during fresh retreival?

Endo scratch has to be done the menstrual cycle before your transfer. E.g. if your cycle is a 28day cycle and you intend to go for a fresh (with the intention of doing embryo transfer)/frozen cycle in Sep, then your scratch would be on 21day of your Aug cycle. Then wait for your 1st day of Sep menstrual cycle and call up ivf center to start your cycle. My memory is abit hazy for a long ivf protocol cycle though. For other variations, it is better to check with your doctor when the scratch should be done.

Endo scratch has to be done the menstrual cycle before your transfer. E.g. if your cycle is a 28day cycle and you intend to go for a fresh (with the intention of doing embryo transfer)/frozen cycle in Sep, then your scratch would be on 21day of your Aug cycle. Then wait for your 1st day of Sep menstrual cycle and call up ivf center to start your cycle. My memory is abit hazy for a long ivf protocol cycle though. For other variations, it is better to check with your doctor when the scratch should be done.
Isit very very painful? Got any sedation?

Thanks I’m doing frozen still got a few embryos.

Anyone took covid vaccine before fet or fresh cycle? Intending to take vaccine and try fet Sep or oct. should be ok right?
I’m taking 1st dose next week, and 2nd in Aug. Plan to start fresh cycle in october. Nurse said as long as 2 doses completed can start, nv say need to wait one month whatsoever, but for myself i’ll wait at least a month after 2nd dose.

PICSI is new to me too. It seems like another method to choose a better sperm for icsi injection.

Sharing an article from cityfertility.com.au,

"During ICSI, motile sperm are selected for injection on the basis of their morphology. The selection of sperm using this visual approach may not necessarily reflect the functionality of the sperm or its ability to fertilize an oocyte (egg). The PICSI dish provides a functional test to assist the embryologist’s selection of sperm for injection. The test is based on the ability of sperm to bind to hyaluronan (HA) hydrogel thus mimicking the natural binding of mature sperm to oocytes in the female.

Sperm in vivo (in nature) encounters HA in the cervical mucus and in the cumulus matrix surrounding the oocyte. Penetration of the cervical mucus and cumulus matrix by the sperm in vivo are critical elements in successful fertilization and subsequent embryo implantation; HA is vital in this interaction.

PICSI takes advantage of this naturally occurring encounter. A special dish with small dots of HA on the bottom of the dish is used with the standard ICSI injection. A drop of prepared sperm is added to the HA and the embryologist selects a HA bound sperm for injection. By selecting the sperm that are bound and using them for ICSI, the embryologists are preferentially using the better quality, more mature sperm."

Hi,

Thanks for the explanations. But is PICSI a new method to boost sperm quality??? Or it's for only those attempting 2nd fresh cycle?
Was wondering why doc dun apply this method in the 1st fresh cycle in the 1st place so that we can benefit to yield many many embryos without going thru multiple hardships.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the explanations. But is PICSI a new method to boost sperm quality??? Or it's for only those attempting 2nd fresh cycle?
Was wondering why doc dun apply this method in the 1st fresh cycle in the 1st place so that we can benefit to yield many many embryos without going thru multiple hardships.

I am not sure of the circumstances that Dr would recommend PICSI. I only came across this term after looking at the forum these few days. I think it is a newer method to choose the better sperm among the lot for fertilisation.

Hi,

I read about PICSI before. It’s supposedly better than ICSI for selecting good quality sperm. It’s interesting Dr Sadhana is suggesting this for her patients now. Perhaps it’s a new offering in KKH? I failed 2 cycles at KKH last year with Dr Jessie Phoon and my husband has low sperm count. Yet I wasn’t told about PICSI as an option then.

I’m taking 1st dose next week, and 2nd in Aug. Plan to start fresh cycle in october. Nurse said as long as 2 doses completed can start, nv say need to wait one month whatsoever, but for myself i’ll wait at least a month after 2nd dose.
Thanks same as me :) I probably do fet end of sept.

Back