IVF/ICSI Support Group

Good luck babysmurf
happy.gif

Hi ladies,

I am new to this forum, have been actively reading up on IVF but there's a few questions on my mind which I couldn't get answers from the Internet so hoping that you experienced ladies out here can assist. Noted that there's a lot of info I can gather here.

Background, I have been trying for kids for past 4 yrs, must admit some months I did not try or some months did not time. Last month did SO-IUI but failed. Surprisingly doc asked me to proceed with IVF (I would expect docs to recommend at least 3 rounds of IUI before proceeding with IVF).

Questions:
1) Before proceeding with IVF, is there a standard set of tests to complete (apart from blood test for both husband and wife)?
2) I heard stories of failed IVF due to poor quality eggs. Is there any test for my egg quality before proceeding to do the IVF? Is it not worth it in terms of costs to go through such tests or is there no such tests available? I mean, no point going through IVF if egg quality is a problem (or at least until improve egg quality).
3) Is there a sperm selection process before sperm is put to fertilize eggs?

Thanks to all in advance. Really need help on that before proceeding with IVF next week and I think my doc did not give us much info in terms of prep in terms of what to expect and usual test to go through, etc.

Hi bbt24, you are not alone.. We sisters will help each other with info as much as possible..

I have not done IUI before, me n my dh decided to go for IVF straight.. It all depends on the male factor.. If IUI is necessary..

As before the IVF, it good to go for a an check on womb, it's lining and tubes..it start with h.. Very long I will check again n let u know..

I m not sure if there is a test to test on egg quality till the actual ET..

And usually the doc will check for the most best sperm and inject it one to one with egg.. Which is call IVF ICSI..

I have been twice IVF ICSI and failed twice.. Now I m on FET.. Using frozen egg from my last cycle..

Praying hard very hard to have that little luck !!!

Twin papa

Thanks. I also did tell him to take individual supplement as the content will be better. Cos he took those supplement like multi vit and other whc probably not that strong. Anyway, thanks again.

Hi Celestine,

Thanks for the info. I used to have etopic preg. Went for Lap to clear the tube n doc found endometriosis during the lap. But that was done in 3Q 2011. I supposed the doc has made sure everything in order. Since then till my IUI last month, he said lining was good (but via virginal scan), not sure if that shall suffice. Maybe I will have a talk with him again before proceeding with my IVF. Not sure if the endometriosis will recurr since it is coming to a yr since the surgery. But he didn't say much about doing a separate test. I just want to make sure it's not because it skipped his mind or paint too nice a pic.

Hi bbt24
For women, check womb, lining.
For guy will go for semen analysis to check how good your DH solider.
If DH solider is good, likely dr wl suggest ivf meaning take the good solider and your egg and let them develope. Icsi method is for those not so good solider, embryoist will choose the good solider and insert to the egg shell and will see whether it fertile.
Sad to say there is no test to kwn how good is our egg quality. Usually age before 35 shd be pretty good, after 35 not that good and not to say aft 40.

I feel you should ask your dr why he ask u to go for ivf? Which dr u go to? All the ivf icsi information you can actually goggle on the Internet. You can find out more and understand what is the different between ivf and ivf icsi

Hope it help your query......good luck

Oh by the way, do you have to specifically request for icsi? I think IVF can be done without that process to directly inject sperm into the egg. Problem with my doc is that he assume I know everything and did not bother to explain much. My hubby remember asking him if they will choose the best quality sperm to fertilizer the egg, he said yes. I supposed that means icsi?
Sorry to hear about the failed icsi? Did you managed to find out what is the cause (or is there even a way to find out in the first place)?

Hi AsiaFighter,

Thanks, I will ask him why he suggest IVF immediately after 1 round of IUI.

I am not sure if he suspect is egg quality issue or what. But he gave a contradictory info: I was given 75mg Puregon for my IUI. Think it was about 1 bottle in total (75 for 5 days and last day left with 50mg). On the 5th day of 75 mg, he did scan which shows 3 follicles. Sizes ranged around 13mm to 15mm which he says not good enough but quantity of 3 is ok. That was during IUI.
Funny thing is, after my IUI failed, when he talks about IVF, he said if only 3 follicles for IVF, he will abandon the cycle. Don't understand why 3 follicles is good enough for IUI but not good enough for IVF, since success rate for IVF is higher than IUI, naturally lesser would work better in IVF, isn't it?

Oh ya, I did those: lap, salpingolysis, adhesiolysid, hysteroscopy, hydrotubation. Believed after doing all these, everything should be in order but problem is, the ops was done in Oct 11, not sure problems (if any) will recur by now. And doc did not mention anything (I stopped seeing him for 9 months since my ops).

Copy from my discharge report. So many confusing medical terms that I went online to search one by one to find out what are those.

Sorry, AsiaFighter, missed one of your question. I am with dr Loh (TMC, used to be with KKH). Ops done in KKH. Actually since my ops till my last visit (9 months gap from my ops), his recommendation is consistent - try 1 round IUI, if not successful to proceed straight to IVF.

Hi bbt, the test usually is valid for 2 yrs... i only do HSG n SIS... this is what kkh is practicing. The blood test result is valid for 6 months. All ivf in kkh is icsi.

Usually only when the sperm is strong then doc advise iui.

Even when u have the best embryo (I suppose the best sperm + best egg), the chance of implantation is only 40%. So, luck play a big part.

Anyway, the chance of pregnancy is 10% for iui n 40% for icsi.

serene, not all IVF in KK is done ICSI style. It differs from case to case. They did IVF for some of my eggs and ICSI for the rest previously.

Hi Serene, no wonder my doc says will select the best sperm for fertilizing eggs. I supposed he meant icsi. Nevertheless, I will just confirm with him, to be sure. Just like my IUI, he didn't even explain that there are IUI and SO-IUI. He just told me to do IUI. It was when I went Internet to read up that I found the difference between the 2 and mine was SO-IUI.

Hi bbt

I guess you have to ask dr Loh . I am with dr Loh too.
If u are doing icsi, even 3 eggs is also good cos u only need 1 good eggs n solider to fertile. For the sizes best is 18mm above, but I kwn some hospital wl also do 15mm.

Like what serene mention, ivf or icsi there is no Gtee of 100% of success. As age grow older the success rates also drop significal.

But all of us here are trying our best to BFP. We all jia you together
happy.gif

Hi mommies to be 
Anyone here got spare clomids? My maid accidentally threw my med away and i need to use it by tomorrow!!! 
My gynae is away n could not be contacted. Im so desperate now. 
This is my 2nd trial 
Anyone can help??????

Thanks, AsiaFighter. All the best to you and Jia you.
I've prep a list of questions when I visit him the week after next. He's a nice doc but problem with him is, he don't tell you much (think he expect you to know) until you ask.

serene, i don't remember them saying that during the briefing. But maybe different times different protocol. I attended the briefing last Sept/Oct. They did let us sign an ICSI form in case we need to do ICSI. But it's up to the discretion of the embryologist to decide whether IVF or ICSI. That was my understanding.

Hi bbt
Yes, he is a man of few words...hahahaha..... but guess all gynae are the same. Yes, do prepare what you need to ask him and he will surely answer your question. That is what I did every time I visited him
happy.gif
. Good luck

BBT24,
Not all folicles will 100% meet with the sperms and develop into embroyos in a natural ivf process. Also, even in an ICSI process, though the embrologist selected the best sperms and inject into the best folicle, this process also does not 100% guarantee that the embroyos will grow... Next, in a frozen cycle, the embroyos will also have to fight for their survive before they can be transferred back to the womb. There are many obstacles to cross before getting a BFP. This could be the possible reason why your gynae will abandoned the cycle.

Also, ivf is a tough journey for the couple phyiscally, mentally and financially.

BBT24, oh! you are also with Dr Loh!

He is my 6th gynae( or 7th??)... lost my count.

He is already much better than other gynae. He is unlike other gynaes who just tell you to take folic acid is enough hor. Moreover, he bothered to reply emails when we email him. He also can joke. hahaha... but sometimes his joke is very dry... hahaha...

Yes, he will not tell you a lot of things until you ask him because he does not know what you don't know!

Hi luvnhope, my briefing is in Jan this yr... yes, it is up to the embryologist if we will have ivf or icsi... but I remember the doc say usually it is icsi.. unless u have more good eggs then they will do ivf, cos the doc always feel that natural selection by the egg is better.

Bbt, good to list ur qns... the doc have to explain to u n make u understand wat we are embarking on
happy.gif

asiafrighter: i got sudden cramp on sun. then now cramp on and off. spotting when i wipe after i go toilet, but it doesnt flow onto my pantyliner. i not sure if its the urinary tract or what leh. will call clinic and ask

bbt: i always prepare a written list of Q to ask him when i see dr loh, and just put the paper on the table. and hopefully all is answered when i left. but the nurse was rushing me the last time! maybe cos i need go BT aft tt and they downstairs close at 6pm.

icsi is for those with poor sperm binding, less than 60%. i think its cos the sperm binding to the egg is poor, so they use this to help them bind, rather than wasting the sperm and egg if they fail to bind themselves...

babysmurf how was yr ER?

serene, ravene: take care and dun stress ya!

Prosepina: understand totally abt stupid budgetting..

Lin, I didn't not have any cramp when af comes. But I have about 2 days of spotting before the full flow came.

Better call the clinic and check.

serene, i guess they felt i had enuf eggs for them to try IVF. But in the end wasted all those eggs lor. I chose 100% ICSI in my subsequent fresh.

morning girls,

ya lin, i agree with you..stupid budgeting..what we finance got to do with the GM or net profit? we are just support staff but too bad! Finance job is always stressful..

i think babysmurf is still resting at recovery center. hope she's doing gooood
happy.gif

Good morning gals!! Been feeling very tired nearing the blood test.. Or. Prob getting too lazy after the 2ww rest!!
My DH is also against the idea of hpt as he does not want me to think so much when I all alone at home..

Bbt21, guess u have a lot of questions answered in a way.. Do write it down and ask yr doc the next time..

I m not sure if KK practice only iCSI but I prefer it as there is not much difference in price or time, so I wild prefer ICSI!!

Sunstillshines, who is dat in the picture

Celestine, that's a good sign! I was hoping to be feeling in this way.. lol.. but I'm so awake 8) Wish you BFP
happy.gif

Luvnhope, it is a good thing when you have the choice.. this mean your egg quality and sperm quality is good...

Jia You Jia You!! We will get our wish soon :D

Thks lin ... ;)
bbt24 .. Welcome to tis forum .. The sisters here are very nice n could share many useful info w us newcomers de.. I m w dr Loh too .. I believe he will do wat is best for us cos he is very experienced but still Gd to clear any doubts w him ..
Celestine .. Tired could b a Gd sign leh . ;). All the best yah

Hi ladies, this thread is very active. I can only access during lunch and it took me a while to find my last reply.

Nice to see so many ladies here with Dr Loh. Oh ya, I keep hearing you girls talk about briefing. Is that only practiced in KKH? Dr Loh didn't mention anything about briefing and my next visit would be to collect the injectables, etc already. What does the briefing in KKH talk about? Not sure if that is a common practice for IVF elsewhere?

Celestine: yes, Ihave listed 3 Q so far. And one of the Q is the price diff between IVF and ICSI. Looks like you have answered that question.

Sunstillshines: you are right, some of his jokes too dry until I have no respond and he laughed at his own jokes. I was then thinking if I am too silly to understand his jokes or what. So you also have this problem on his jokes. The pic does not look like him la, looks much handsome than him, ops!!
happy.gif

And if ICSI is not successful, don't know what's next already as there are thousand and one reason why IVF can fail, some outside control (such as luck). So stressful. 2 more years my success rate will drop drastically already (that is, counted from actual DOB). Sigh~~

Lin, AsiaFighter, Sunstillshines: from the replies, it seems like there is no way to tell is the sperm and egg can bind naturally until going through one round of IVF at least? Is there any way to freeze the eggs and in case natural selection by egg failed, proceed immed to ICSI (sorry if my question sounds silly)?

Back