IVF 2019

Yes he is awesome!!!

I'm still waiting for my 'full blown' menses. Thought coming soon cos got brown blood for few days already. Then I fell ill and had to take antibiotics. Think the meds stopped my menses somehow:(
Wondering how it will actually affect my cycle and the ivf.. anybody encountered being sick during the ivf cycle?
Did anyone heard news about Tan HH leaving KKH and moving to practicein private? I am with him too and will be going for my 3rd cycle in Sept 19.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I'm in my late 30s and am intending to have a baby. Have scrolled through all the advices. I had recently gone for a consultation at KKH and is now waiting to get some tests completed before they could advise me further on my suitability and all.

I'd like to ask how did all of you cope with work during the IVF period? Did you all inform your boss that you are doing this process and will be possibly throwing MCs and HLs during this period? My company is facing a shortage of manpower at this moment and I know that I'm definitely very stressed up with work. I'm not sure if I want to inform my boss of this decision as nothing is confirmed at this stage.

Appreciate any kind advices from the members here. Thank you very much.
i did share with my boss n he is very supportive about the whole cycle. ppl who dunno will keep asking u where u go, thinking u go holiday enjoy. so b prepared for tt

Hi,

Scheduled to go KKH for the 1st US on exactly 6W0D. The scan managed to see a normal size/shape gestational sac and a yolk sac. However no baby seen yet. Doc said still early stage and was told to come back for another US a week later. Is this normal that you dont get to see the baby end of 5W?

Yes is very normal as it is too small. The most at 6wks can see heartbeat which is a flicking white spot.

Yes is very normal as it is too small. The most at 6wks can see heartbeat which is a flicking white spot.

Then the comment from the KK sonographer isn't really necessary. She keep saying "there is no baby" during the scan which makes us worry if there is anything wrong with the development.

But why do KKH scheduled us to go for US if likely they cant see the baby so early?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I'm in my late 30s and am intending to have a baby. Have scrolled through all the advices. I had recently gone for a consultation at KKH and is now waiting to get some tests completed before they could advise me further on my suitability and all.

I'd like to ask how did all of you cope with work during the IVF period? Did you all inform your boss that you are doing this process and will be possibly throwing MCs and HLs during this period? My company is facing a shortage of manpower at this moment and I know that I'm definitely very stressed up with work. I'm not sure if I want to inform my boss of this decision as nothing is confirmed at this stage.

Appreciate any kind advices from the members here. Thank you very much.

I informed my direct boss 1 week before I gonna start ivf, after all the pre checks... not sure how to tell my teammates as they will be covering me.. def dont want gossip in the ofc when this process is not a 100% success rate.
The colleague I'm covering will be on block leave when I'm scheduled to be on HL too.. still dunno wat to do...

Then the comment from the KK sonographer isn't really necessary. She keep saying "there is no baby" during the scan which makes us worry if there is anything wrong with the development.

But why do KKH scheduled us to go for US if likely they cant see the baby so early?
they a bit senseless n brainless sometimes de... don’t go to same sono...

I’m in my early 30s and have gone thru 2 failed fresh cycles. Retrieved 12 on first cycle and then 6 on second cycle. I waited 4 months before I tried for the 2nd time. Now Doc advised me to wait for 6 months then go for 3rd cycle.

Most likely the reason for failure is lousy egg quality. Doc says this is genetic and cannot be improved.

Any advice of improving egg quality or anything that can help?

I’m in my early 30s and have gone thru 2 failed fresh cycles. Retrieved 12 on first cycle and then 6 on second cycle. I waited 4 months before I tried for the 2nd time. Now Doc advised me to wait for 6 months then go for 3rd cycle.

Most likely the reason for failure is lousy egg quality. Doc says this is genetic and cannot be improved.

Hi babe, I suggest you go on a very low carb diet - ketogenic (https://www.cnyfertility.com/about-us/fertile-food/ (CNY is a very popular fertility clinic on the US East Coast), or Mediterranean, in each case cutting out all refined starch, rice noodles etc.

I've only done 1 fresh cycle, but I have quite low AMH so low follicle count - yielded 7 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilised and made it to Day 5 - I think my ketogenic diet did contribute to egg quality.

1st ultrasound usually is to confirm the pregnancy by making sure there is yolks and sac form and inside the uterus. 2nd ultrasound to check the size to estimate EDD plus make sure there is heart beat.

Your 6wk0day when do ultrasound might be only 5wk2 or 3 days depend on fetus growth rate too.

Did your doc continue to monitor your beta HCG to ensure it is still increasing weekly?

Hi babe, I suggest you go on a very low carb diet - ketogenic (https://www.cnyfertility.com/about-us/fertile-food/ (CNY is a very popular fertility clinic on the US East Coast), or Mediterranean, in each case cutting out all refined starch, rice noodles etc.

I've only done 1 fresh cycle, but I have quite low AMH so low follicle count - yielded 7 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilised and made it to Day 5 - I think my ketogenic diet did contribute to egg quality.

hey thanks for the link. Is there any specific food in the local context u take regularly to keep to this keto diet? I did try to cut down on white rice (replace with brown rice) and added more vegetables/fruits to my diet in the 2nd cycle.

1st ultrasound usually is to confirm the pregnancy by making sure there is yolks and sac form and inside the uterus. 2nd ultrasound to check the size to estimate EDD plus make sure there is heart beat.

Your 6wk0day when do ultrasound might be only 5wk2 or 3 days depend on fetus growth rate too.

Did your doc continue to monitor your beta HCG to ensure it is still increasing weekly?

Nope, Dr Tan just said everything looks normal and asked us to come back for another scan the following week. We only done once for the beta HCG with reading 1314. He did not order another round of test for HCG or give us any scan form to go back to AMC. The scan will be done by the doctor himself. Is this norm to do 6th and 7th week US for IVF?

Nope, Dr Tan just said everything looks normal and asked us to come back for another scan the following week. We only done once for the beta HCG with reading 1314. He did not order another round of test for HCG or give us any scan form to go back to AMC. The scan will be done by the doctor himself. Is this norm to do 6th and 7th week US for IVF?
I had my first ultrasound scan on Tuesday too. The sonographer and doctor said everything looks ok and is now 5 week plus. Sonographer did say there is heartbeat. My next scan is 3 weeks later at AMC.

I just read a good book on IVF and egg quality called "it starts with the egg". Can borrow from national library. Check for availability online.
The whole book is about improving egg quality.

I remember seeing alot of good stuff mentioned in the book in Blackmores Conceive well pills. You can try taking it.

Last edited:

Usually scan not so close. At least 2wks apart.
But maybe your Dr want to confirm there is heartbeat.
I think is subject to Dr preferences.
Mine is at SGH, so Dr order weekly hcg test to ensure every week doubling until at 6wks plus saw heartbeat then stop weekly hcg bloodtest.

Try to get ubiquinol coq10 kaneka from iherb. I ate 600mg daily and it really helped with the quality. https://sg.iherb.com/pr/healthy-origins-ubiquinol-kaneka-qh-300-mg-150-softgels/50836

Hey everyone

Anyone starting IVF cycle in March 2019?

I'm a 29yo female, TTC for 1.5 years. DH is 32.
We have had 1 failed IUI in Jan 2019 and will be proceeding with IVF at KKH for this coming March cycle.
Doctor dubbed us "unexplained subfertility", but she thinks it's most likely because DH has low sperm morphology (Teratospermia).

Our IVF briefing is scheduled for late February.
Anyone on the same boat?
Anyone been through IVF and willing to share tips?
Anyone has tips on how to naturally improve our chances?

Thanks~
Hi All,

May I know at which point do they inform you when you can start ivf?

We would like to go for Mar cycle however my husband must freeze his sperm first. Since he is travelling, he can only make it for the appointment on 13 Feb. Not sure if we will be able to make it in time for Mar cycle or not.

Is there a number that I can call to enquiry on this?
Hi, I'm same age with you, just done ivf circle on Apr and next Tuesday will do embryo transfer then wait for news. How are you now? Sucessful have baby?

I just read a good book on IVF and egg quality called "it starts with the egg". Can borrow from national library. Check for availability online.
The whole book is about improving egg quality.

This book is extremely popular on Reddit too (subs: infertility, IVF, stilltrying)

1314 is a good reading, trust dr tan, thru him i had 3 positive in total...1 baby... he follow preggy very well...

So i went to TCM doc today and he checked on my lining and said it’s already at 8-9mm. My first scan with doc is on the 10th which is in 6 days time and my TCM doc says it’s going to be too late.

Do you think i can request for an earlier scan appointment?

So i went to TCM doc today and he checked on my lining and said it’s already at 8-9mm. My first scan with doc is on the 10th which is in 6 days time and my TCM doc says it’s going to be too late.

How does TCM Doc check for lining? They use ultrasound too?

How does TCM Doc check for lining? They use ultrasound too?

Haha you probably wont believe it and i am sometimes sceptical as well but the doc presses down my abdomen area. He did come close in previous times before so I tend to listen more.

How many days did you girls take for the bloated-ness from the ER to go away? It’s been a few days but my stomach is still so big & I look preg (even though I wish). I think I’ve mild ohss. I vomited a few hours after the ER but not until the state where I felt breathless.

How many days did you girls take for the bloated-ness from the ER to go away? It’s been a few days but my stomach is still so big & I look preg (even though I wish). I think I’ve mild ohss. I vomited a few hours after the ER but not until the state where I felt breathless.

I don't have OHSS. The bloating from stims and ER went down about 2- 3 days after, but I felt like it came back after starting progesterone at ER+3. I'm not eating more but I just have a bloat around my midsection now (12dp5dt) - don't dare to weigh myself! I do still feel a bit of soreness from ER when I stretch out, and it was quite pronounced for about 1 week after ER.

I don't have OHSS. The bloating from stims and ER went down about 2- 3 days after, but I felt like it came back after starting progesterone at ER+3. I'm not eating more but I just have a bloat around my midsection now (12dp5dt) - don't dare to weigh myself! I do still feel a bit of soreness from ER when I stretch out, and it was quite pronounced for about 1 week after ER.

Oh no, hope you will get better soon! I can’t go for fresh trsf so I’m only taking folic acid & stopped all my other supplements (vitd, ubiquinol) for now. I stepped on the weighing scale this morning and I gained weight even though I ate much lesser because of the bloat. I sometimes wonder if I have gastric or was it the bloat that is causing all the sore.

I changed out of so many dresses today just to find the one that make me look less preg-like.

I took 2 days for the bloating to gone. But before ER nurse already ask me drink isotonic water. After ER I drink 1.5l of isotonic water daily and 5 egg whites daily till ET.

Hihi which stage are u at now?

Had my first scan at kkh this morning.. lining was 5mm. Started my 1st injection today as well and 2nd scan scheduled next Friday.

Any tips for better success?
I kept hearing that 1st tries are not high on success rates. But I also heard friends who succeeded on their 1st at SGH..
Do you think it has got to do with the hospital/ doctor?

Oh no, hope you will get better soon! I can’t go for fresh trsf so I’m only taking folic acid & stopped all my other supplements (vitd, ubiquinol) for now. I stepped on the weighing scale this morning and I gained weight even though I ate much lesser because of the bloat. I sometimes wonder if I have gastric or was it the bloat that is causing all the sore.

I changed out of so many dresses today just to find the one that make me look less preg-like.

I also started wearing all the looser dresses since stims and wearing the same thing over and over again -_- when are you doing your fet?

Had my first scan at kkh this morning.. lining was 5mm. Started my 1st injection today as well and 2nd scan scheduled next Friday.

Any tips for better success?
I kept hearing that 1st tries are not high on success rates. But I also heard friends who succeeded on their 1st at SGH..
Do you think it has got to do with the hospital/ doctor?

Your lining at stims day 1 is 5mm? That seems very promising!

I am doing my first fresh cycle at KKH and going for my BT tomorrow.

I think first time is always a trial and error because even with stats and experience, the doc still has to guess how you respond to meds. Eg I have a relatively low AMH at 1.6, doc gave me quite a high stims shot at menopur 300 iu a day but I still yielded only 7 eggs (5 mature, 4 fertilised). Now with this info, he can increase my stims dosage for next cycle since I respond not as well.

I also have a BFP pee stick but don't dare to get my hopes up until after beta tests, scans and first trimester. My DH and I don't dare to believe our BFP yet.

So, I guess the motto is hope for the best and prepare for the worst - I hope you yield many good quality embryos and baby dust! :)

I think first time is always a trial and error because even with stats and experience, the doc still has to guess how you respond to meds. Eg I have a relatively low AMH at 1.6, doc gave me quite a high stims shot at menopur 300 iu a day but I still yielded only 7 eggs (5 mature, 4 fertilised). Now with this info, he can increase my stims dosage for next cycle since I respond not as well.

I also have a BFP pee stick but don't dare to get my hopes up until after beta tests, scans and first trimester. My DH and I don't dare to believe our BFP yet.

So, I guess the motto is hope for the best and prepare for the worst - I hope you yield many good quality embryos and baby dust! :)

Good luck to your BT tomorrow!

I took 2 days for the bloating to gone. But before ER nurse already ask me drink isotonic water. After ER I drink 1.5l of isotonic water daily and 5 egg whites daily till ET.

Thank you!! Ah, i didn’t know I can start drinking the h2o before ER, I was already feeling so bloated 2days before my ER. I think I’ll Increase the isotonic water intake for the next 2days.

I also started wearing all the looser dresses since stims and wearing the same thing over and over again -_- when are you doing your fet?

The first week of stim I felt perfectly fine until the 8th day onwards. Couldn’t accept the sudden change to my body :( I’m only seeing the dr next fri so I’ll ask him when I can do the FET, I suppose it will be June/July. I had some brown discharge ytd but mia today, not sure if my menses is coming after the ER.

GOOOOD LUCK for your BT tmr!

Last edited:
Hi.. i’m 36 years old and doing my IVF at KKH. Today is my D2 post er. It’s my 1st IVF. Last year I tried IUI once but failed. Would like to ask whether anyone here eat pineapple core? I saw in the web that eating pineapple core is good for implantation? But Chinese believe that pregnant woman should avoid this fruit. Any idea?

Hi.. i’m 36 years old and doing my IVF at KKH. Today is my D2 post er. It’s my 1st IVF. Last year I tried IUI once but failed. Would like to ask whether anyone here eat pineapple core? I saw in the web that eating pineapple core is good for implantation? But Chinese believe that pregnant woman should avoid this fruit. Any idea?

If the food is necessary, KKH Dr would have ask u to eat more. Just avoid some of the cheese and raw foods

Last edited:

Thank you!! Not sure about lining and how it affects though.
All the best to you too!

Last edited:

Yes I also read about the pineapple core thing but I dont think i dare try! Yes Chinese say will cause MC. Think just boil red dates and longan to drink to improve blood circulation...

hey thanks for the link. Is there any specific food in the local context u take regularly to keep to this keto diet? I did try to cut down on white rice (replace with brown rice) and added more vegetables/fruits to my diet in the 2nd cycle.

Sorry babe I just saw this! I mostly cooked when I'm on keto, especially during the period immediately before and during the cycle when I ate very clean (think steak, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, salmon, cauliflower etc). But to start with, you just need to skip the rice and noodle and pay more for the "liao" - economy rice no rice, fish soup extra fish no rice or noodle, western food no fries or mash - get used to the idea that you don't NEED a "staple" to go along with every meal.

I ate a lot of salmon and steak on the diet. These I usually make a large batch sous vide (using an Anova immersion circulator), and freeze - when I come home from work I'll just heat up and sear on the stove. I also like chinese food, so if I am up for cooking I'll make say teochew steamed fish, ginger spring onion beef with broccoli, fried egg omelette with prawns, braised chicken wings :)

By the way, keto is quite a restrictive diet - even veg like carrots or onions have to be limited as these have relatively higher net carbs (total carbs minus fibre) compared to broccoli, cauliflower, spinach etc. But I think low carb is better than high carb so don't stress about going into ketosis, just start off with low carb / Mediterranean :)

So i did my scan today which is 2.5 days after my tcm visit and doc scanned my lining to be 8mm ‍♀️

Which TCM did you visit? I heard that acupuncture helps so wanna ask if you girls went for acupuncture during your ivf and was successful?
Thank you.

Which TCM did you visit? I heard that acupuncture helps so wanna ask if you girls went for acupuncture during your ivf and was successful?
Thank you.

I am seeing Dr Tan Kian Seng at Clementi

My first fet should be next week so no comment on the success rate of ivf yet but he did helped me with getting my hormones balanced and my menses regular.

Back