IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

This is another PCOS success story. She’s more hardcore than me though in terms of cleaning out toxins. I still can’t survive without WiFi for sure
https://branchbasics.com/blog/pcosnaturaltreatment/

I started complete and massive changes from Oct 2018. I had my follow up early Dec 2019. My gynae was confused with the pelvic scan and was like “don’t look like a PCOS patient”. When I heard that, I was secretly happy and grinned.

Approximate Timeline of Change
Oct 2018 - Started using water filter, changed all pots and pans and lunchboxes were all glass. Diet changes over the months. I started supplements and medication for insulin (prescribed by Doc - Metformin) too. I tried many supplements (with insitol, zinc, vit c etc for egg quality) and only started Mary Ruth much later (Nov 2019). TCM has been all along complementing but it’s some specially prescribed formula, I just took anything that was pregnancy safe and can help me to bu.

Jan 2019 - Cosmetics and facial care completely replaced. I was slowly replacing as I finished my remaining. Some I totally dumped out after checking the ingredients.

May 2019 - Took Letrozole as I wanted to try for pregnancy. Took a total of 4 cycles and ovulated. But out of the 2 cycles, hubby was travelling.

Aug 2019 - Moved house and managed to completely eliminate all bad house cleaning products. I had my new apartment completely cleaned multiple times with plant based products (include walls and ceiling).

Hubby never did a semen analysis until Dec 2019 but doc says it’s reasonable for his age but can be improved. Sperm Count 21 mil. Morphology 3. Motility 57%. Both morphology and motility need to improve. After sperm wash, Morphology was 4 and with 98% motility.. But only 5.7 mil post wash. Gonna change his supplements after we get back. He’s stubborn and only listens to the doc more. Gonna have him take the male supplement from Blue Stork which doc gave the go ahead.

Branch Basics is a EWG rated 1 product (extremely clean) but unfortunately it doesn’t deliver to SG. My friend says can use EZ Buy though.
I actually did some of this.

Changed to glassware, no more plastic wares at home unless take away food.

Changed most make up items to organic ones and also kind of stopped using most of them unless needed. Kind of helped with my sensitive skin condition and also frequent eye sty.

Tough to distance phone, but stopped keeping it next to me while sleeping and no laptops on the body.

Quite picky with handwash, detergents as well due to sensitive skin issue.

Zerelda

I actually did some of this.

Changed to glassware, no more plastic wares at home unless take away food.

Changed most make up items to organic ones and also kind of stopped using most of them unless needed. Kind of helped with my sensitive skin condition and also frequent eye sty.

Tough to distance phone, but stopped keeping it next to me while sleeping and no laptops on the body.

Quite picky with handwash, detergents as well due to sensitive skin issue.
Yea hand phones are the most difficult. I put it for away and on airplane mode. However, I still left WiFi switched on.. cuz on and off damn troublesome. I change bit by bit. Don’t get too stressed up with changing everything all at one go

Moon08

Yea hand phones are the most difficult. I put it for away and on airplane mode. However, I still left WiFi switched on.. cuz on and off damn troublesome. I change bit by bit. Don’t get too stressed up with changing everything all at one go
That’s a major lifestyle change. Changing bit by bit is the key. Your post is very informative.

Moon08

My SOIUI cycle got cancelled. 1st scan on CD6 (today) revealed that there is a fluid filled cyst in right ovary. So doctor ordered for blood work and concluded that I have already ovulated. But as CD6 is too early, so It could be a really really late ovulation from last cycle. But Doctor says that’s difficult to know. In his words “ it’s a messed up cycle” so let’s not continue and wait for next cycle. :(

Zerelda

That’s a major lifestyle change. Changing bit by bit is the key. Your post is very informative.
It is major when you do it all at once. Remember never to stress yourself up over lifestyle change and do it bit by bit. It adds up along the way.

Zerelda

My SOIUI cycle got cancelled. 1st scan on CD6 (today) revealed that there is a fluid filled cyst in right ovary. So doctor ordered for blood work and concluded that I have already ovulated. But as CD6 is too early, so It could be a really really late ovulation from last cycle. But Doctor says that’s difficult to know. In his words “ it’s a messed up cycle” so let’s not continue and wait for next cycle. :(
In that case, it might be better to tiao yang the body first and prepare for future cycles. I allowed my menses to regulate first before deciding on IUI. I have to admit I was a little impatient due to hubby age and decided on IUI right away before trying to do it naturally. In my opinion, no point to force the body if it’s not ready yet (which I felt mine was and hubby was still ok with the sperm results although not the best for him). Not saying I will be successful since there are too many other factors but I prefer to tackle the problems I have at hand first before proceeding to the next step. Otherwise the chance of failure is even higher.

Zerelda

The 2ww is seriously damn long. I’m on my 11th day post IUI and nearly all through the time, I’m bloated, feeling fatigue, body feels hot, tender breasts (sometimes painful) and pee quite often. I also had soft stool once every few days. Anyone experiencing such symptoms? When do you get signs of your menses if it fails?

Ms Soh

The 2ww is seriously damn long. I’m on my 11th day post IUI and nearly all through the time, I’m bloated, feeling fatigue, body feels hot, tender breasts (sometimes painful) and pee quite often. I also had soft stool once every few days. Anyone experiencing such symptoms? When do you get signs of your menses if it fails?
I had all the symptoms u mentioned but iui failed. As of now day 14 post iui has yet to get menses n no symptoms yet.

Zerelda

Wondering you guys went for acupuncture during iui or ivf? Does it helps ?
I didn’t go for acupuncture but acupuncture is known to help with blood flow which is very important. I only took Chinese herbs to complement (tiao yang the body) and keep the womb warm.

Huihuii

Oh.. because gynae n nurse told me not to take any Chinese herbs. In case of conflict. I took clomid for 1st cycle but my body doesn't react at all. Den 2nd cycle he add on metformin and my eggs are growing. But no luck and plus lining abit thin. On 3rd cycle he add on another medication but still no luck. And this round he gave me puregon 75iu daily injection. I'm thinking if I should go for acupuncture

Zerelda

Oh.. because gynae n nurse told me not to take any Chinese herbs. In case of conflict. I took clomid for 1st cycle but my body doesn't react at all. Den 2nd cycle he add on metformin and my eggs are growing. But no luck and plus lining abit thin. On 3rd cycle he add on another medication but still no luck. And this round he gave me puregon 75iu daily injection. I'm thinking if I should go for acupuncture
Raffles complements with Chinese medicine. They have a Chinese medicine clinic.

iibears

Hi Ladies! I recalled there was a discussion on moving on from iui to ivf with kkh and once we trf to ivf we will not be considered subsidised patient (sorry I can't find the page from the thread). Can anyone advise on this?

Our first iui cycle failed and because my period will fall on cny and the next one in Feb I will be traveling I can't start my 2nd iui till March. Doctor also advised for us to see him first on 27 Feb before confirming on next steps but I'm concern there's alot of waiting time and it the event if we do decide to switch to ivf, I understand the waiting time at kkh ivf center is also months.

Was thinking to switch to nuh if the rates will be the same.

Thanks!

Hi Ladies! I recalled there was a discussion on moving on from iui to ivf with kkh and once we trf to ivf we will not be considered subsidised patient (sorry I can't find the page from the thread). Can anyone advise on this?

Our first iui cycle failed and because my period will fall on cny and the next one in Feb I will be traveling I can't start my 2nd iui till March. Doctor also advised for us to see him first on 27 Feb before confirming on next steps but I'm concern there's alot of waiting time and it the event if we do decide to switch to ivf, I understand the waiting time at kkh ivf center is also months.

Was thinking to switch to nuh if the rates will be the same.

Thanks!
I believe once you are referred to KKIVF centre by a doctor, you are considered a private patient, and the doctor that referred you is supposed to see you through for retrieval and transfer (unless doctor is on leave). This is what I gather from the forum, cos for myself I am a private patient at KK from the start.

Maybe you can request for an earlier appointment date first, in order to get the referral? Also before doing IVF at KK, you need to attend a compulsory briefing session as well, which are on fixed dates.

iibears

I believe once you are referred to KKIVF centre by a doctor, you are considered a private patient, and the doctor that referred you is supposed to see you through for retrieval and transfer (unless doctor is on leave). This is what I gather from the forum, cos for myself I am a private patient at KK from the start.

Maybe you can request for an earlier appointment date first, in order to get the referral? Also before doing IVF at KK, you need to attend a compulsory briefing session as well, which are on fixed dates.
Thank you!

I'm referred to kk from polyclinic and did my first cycle so iui with kkivf, is this considered private already?

I'm thinking if there's no difference since already private then thinking to switch to nuh instead so it's not such a long waiting time.

StayingPositive

Thank you!

I'm referred to kk from polyclinic and did my first cycle so iui with kkivf, is this considered private already?

I'm thinking if there's no difference since already private then thinking to switch to nuh instead so it's not such a long waiting time.
Mine was the same. Refer to KK from polyclinic, then to KKIVF for IUI. It is considered private already according to the nurse. Cos that time they sent me an ultrasound invoice (i went for a scan to check if i can do next round IUI, but doc say cannot cos of cyst), then the invoice didnt have govt subsidy!! So i called them and ask why dont have - and they said as long as you step into KKIVF, then you are considered private patient alr.

Honestly i felt abit cheated leh. Cos if i am alr paying private costs, i could go private clinic! and KK was ex - i didnt manage to do the IUI process, so just for the injections before IUI, scans and blood tests, these alr added up to 1.8k. I recently went to thomson medical to enquire...it is 1k to 1.5k for the whole IUI treatment. like whatttttttt :(

Last edited:

Huihuii

Yes I agree. I did the blood test cost me few hundreds. Hyfosy $500+. I went pte to ask for more advise. Each scan cost me $85 consultation $80. I think only consultation is cheaper compared kkh?

But if we do IVF at KKIVF there will be co funding $7700 right? Plus we can use cpf $6000 for first time.

StayingPositive

Yes I agree. I did the blood test cost me few hundreds. Hyfosy $500+. I went pte to ask for more advise. Each scan cost me $85 consultation $80. I think only consultation is cheaper compared kkh?

But if we do IVF at KKIVF there will be co funding $7700 right? Plus we can use cpf $6000 for first time.
Yeah for IVF there is co funding. From 1 Jan 2020 onwards, IUI also have co-funding ($1,000). KK says that the IUI co-funding is only for 3 times usage. I am not familiar for IVF.

iibears

Thanks all. Another question.. If its considered private once I transfer to kkivf does it mean the cost is no difference with tmc and other private hospitals?

Ms Soh

Thanks all. Another question.. If its considered private once I transfer to kkivf does it mean the cost is no difference with tmc and other private hospitals?
I changed to tmc from Kkh cuz really not much difference. I was a private patient since 5 years ago. It saved much more time also. But parking can be troublesome at tmc

lady081980

Kkh can use govt cofunding in private/subsidies route together with medisave. Private hospital only can use medisave and the cost is much higher. This is the difference.

Zerelda

Is the Puregon 75IU helping your lining and eggs grow? I think you need to first pinpoint your exact problem first. Clomid will thin your lining fyi. Also... your hubby has no issues (sperm count, motility and morphology).

iibears

Kkh can use govt cofunding in private/subsidies route together with medisave. Private hospital only can use medisave and the cost is much higher. This is the difference.
Does this mean if I go with private I won't be entitled to the new govt subsidy for iui/ivf and can only use medisave?

Huihuii

Is the Puregon 75IU helping your lining and eggs grow? I think you need to first pinpoint your exact problem first. Clomid will thin your lining fyi. Also... your hubby has no issues (sperm count, motility and morphology).

Gynae say lining is better with puregon compare taking clomid. Eggs are ready and will proceed my first iui on Thursday.

Hi guys, I am looking at IUI too. Went for first appointment ytd at KKH with Dr Khong. Thought we could quickly do all the tests and scans and start the process soon. But looks like with all the tests and consultation, can only start 2 months later. Just to check, how co-funding for IUI is done in KKH?

ansgh

Hi, may I check for the blood test at DPO19, do you get results instantly if you are pregnant? Or need to still wait a few days? Thanks!

Fatapple

Hi gals

Appreciate if someone can advise me. First time doing IUI and not sure about the procedures. Kinda confused and lost.

I saw Dr Stephen Chew on Tuesday for a scan thereafter he arranged an IUI on Sat. He didn't say much and just sent me for HIV test and to the clinic of human reproduction (CHR) for counselling. CHR passed me a jab and informed that i have to self jab today before the IUI proceudre.

Further to this, Dr Chew didn't prescribe any medicine/supplements but asked me to purchase Coq10 and Nicotinamide Riboside (not cheap $69.90 for 10 days dosage) from watson and to take 600mg dosage each per day. The sale lady said no one will take 600mg and it's way over dose.. did the doctor prescribe correctly or not? Beside the Coq10 and Nicotinaminde, im taking Selenium, Vit D, Folic Acid and thyroid and it seem like so many pills to swallow now :(

Is it normal? Anyone has been through the same as me?

Clksy

Hi, may I check for the blood test at DPO19, do you get results instantly if you are pregnant? Or need to still wait a few days? Thanks!
Blood test probably need to wait 1-2 days. U can use pregnancy kit to confirm first , then go clinic to do blood test

Clksy

Hi gals

Appreciate if someone can advise me. First time doing IUI and not sure about the procedures. Kinda confused and lost.

I saw Dr Stephen Chew on Tuesday for a scan thereafter he arranged an IUI on Sat. He didn't say much and just sent me for HIV test and to the clinic of human reproduction (CHR) for counselling. CHR passed me a jab and informed that i have to self jab today before the IUI proceudre.

Further to this, Dr Chew didn't prescribe any medicine/supplements but asked me to purchase Coq10 and Nicotinamide Riboside (not cheap $69.90 for 10 days dosage) from watson and to take 600mg dosage each per day. The sale lady said no one will take 600mg and it's way over dose.. did the doctor prescribe correctly or not? Beside the Coq10 and Nicotinaminde, im taking Selenium, Vit D, Folic Acid and thyroid and it seem like so many pills to swallow now :(

Is it normal? Anyone has been through the same as me?
When is your iui procedure? I believe it is better to seek a second opinion if you have doubts. The selenium, thyroid all this is taken on your own accord? Or also prescribed by doc?

Fatapple

When is your iui procedure? I believe it is better to seek a second opinion if you have doubts. The selenium, thyroid all this is taken on your own accord? Or also prescribed by doc?
Hi Clksy

My iui is on Saturday and the medicines are prescribed by the doctors. I'm currently seeing Dr Shelia for Thyroid and auto immune disease.

Zerelda

Hi Clksy

My iui is on Saturday and the medicines are prescribed by the doctors. I'm currently seeing Dr Shelia for Thyroid and auto immune disease.
Well.. to my understanding.. excess supplements that your body can’t absorb will just be passed out.. so I don’t really need to worry so much unless you have weak liver. Why don’t you just get a vitamin that has all that you mention in it rather than separate ones.. I hate to swallow pills too and use a liquid version :)

Flyingfish87

Just went for my Iui today but doc says the sperm count was very low and asked if we will still like to proceed with the procedure. Anyone with success stories for IUI even with v low sperm count?

Zerelda

Just went for my Iui today but doc says the sperm count was very low and asked if we will still like to proceed with the procedure. Anyone with success stories for IUI even with v low sperm count?
Hubby has low sperm count too after wash (5.7 mil) but failed. Hubby morphology also not fantastic. Doc says only 13% chance but we still tried since already 3/4 through the process. Technically you only need 1 sperm to swim to the correct place. Right now, we decided to take a break and let him take supplements, will see if it improves after 3 months. Otherwise, might just go for IVF since my eggs are still healthy and have a good reserve.

Flyingfish87

Hubby has low sperm count too after wash (5.7 mil) but failed. Hubby morphology also not fantastic. Doc says only 13% chance but we still tried since already 3/4 through the process. Technically you only need 1 sperm to swim to the correct place. Right now, we decided to take a break and let him take supplements, will see if it improves after 3 months. Otherwise, might just go for IVF since my eggs are still healthy and have a good reserve.
Icic.. Mine was less than 1mil. So the doc says to continue with intercourse. But I have problems ovulating too. So I guess will see what their advice is b4 starting the next cycle. What supplements is he taking BTW?

Zerelda

Icic.. Mine was less than 1mil. So the doc says to continue with intercourse. But I have problems ovulating too. So I guess will see what their advice is b4 starting the next cycle. What supplements is he taking BTW?
Blue Stork fertility by Pink Stork. I got it via Amazon. A lot of the supplements sold at pharmacies and GNCs are super rip off. I have let 2 doctors look at the ingredients and they gave the nod. I take MaryRuth Organics liquid + CoQ10 gummies (improve egg quality as I had bad PCOS last time - no longer PCOS now) + omega gummies (all MaryRuth) which my hubby refuses to (he prefers capsules), doctors also gave the nod to it.

My husband also had low count below 1 mil and low morph too but we went ahead with the SOIUI since I already did all the jabs. It failed. We are moving forward with IVF in Feb after 3 mth break.

Flyingfish87

My husband also had low count below 1 mil and low morph too but we went ahead with the SOIUI since I already did all the jabs. It failed. We are moving forward with IVF in Feb after 3 mth break.
All the best!!! I hope ur IVF will be successful! This is my first IUI. How many cycles of IUI did u do before the recommended u to switch to IVF?

I did two SO-IUIs, both which failed, despite 2-4 big follicles being present, high sperm count and motility (low morphology though doctor said this is not an issue for IUI, not sure)

Decided to move on to IVF

Flyingfish87

I did two SO-IUIs, both which failed, despite 2-4 big follicles being present, high sperm count and motility (low morphology though doctor said this is not an issue for IUI, not sure)

Decided to move on to IVF
Wow 2 to 4 follicles! I had only 1 n tt took like 23plus days of jabbing. Did u have to wait and rest a period of time b4 starting on ivf?

risther

Hi all! Happy CNY!

I just started TTC last year. Just went for fertility check at KK November last year as wanted to try IVF since I’m turning 40 this year. I have 2 issues. I am not ovulating every month and the other issue which is polyp thus need to remove before I can proceed further.

Doc proposed SO-IUI instead of IVF as me and husband don’t have major issue but I’m considering as I’m 40 in few months time and wish to utilise government co-funding for the first time hence looking at IVF. Have scheduled polyp removal in late March and 3 weeks later need to see doc again to confirm all clear before starting IVF. Not sure if I’m in time for IVF before mid June which is my birthday. :(

I do have some questions below hope you guys can give some valuable info or advice. Thank you :)

SO-IUI also can qualify for government co-funding right? I hope to start one cycle now before I hit 40 to be eligible for subsequent government subsidies after 40 if trying IVF later.

Should I start with SO-IUI or straight to IVF given my age? SO-IUI seems more simpler and less invasive. My egg reserve is ok but I’m not sure about the quality.