How to begin toilet training

Any advise on how to toilet train kids? My kid is 2 yrs old and everytime I will be struggling to get her to sit on the potty. She will be crying and resists sitting on the potty and I will be running after her till I am exhausted.
It doesnt help that the childcare is probably not in sync with my toilet training sessions.
I would gladly appreciate if you can share when you begun toilet training, does gender play a part?

i skipped the potty for my gal. Went straight to the toilet bowl. When she is about 2 years old, i used the toilet bowl in front of her. i tell her that i am passing urine. explained to her the purpose of the toilet bowl, i.e. for passing urine and motion. den when i'm done, i asked her does she want to use too? she nodded her head, so i let her sit for a while. whether or not did she pass urine into the toilet bowl doesn't matter... for the next couple of month i will always ask her to sit on the toilet bowl just before bathing... not all time will pass urine, cos she was still in diaper and i dunno when she last pass urine.

what matter most at this stage is to let your gal associate that toilet bowl is for passing urine/motion... if she does not wants to sit, dun force her... the more you force, the more she will resist... maybe just demo to her a few more time and she probably will get it in her mind and want to give a try...

my gal actual toilet training start when she's about 2.5yo. pretty much trained within 2 weeks except for nap and night time. with 2 months, fully toilet trained including night time. the night time was the unexpected one, she did it herself...

during the actual training, sure have lots of accident, just standby lots of panties for her... if she pee into her panties, just clean up and change her panties.. dun scold her for the accident... if outside, either you can put on diaper for her or (in my case) bring along a few set of clothings and towel to clean up...

good luck in ur toilet training...

Last edited:
following this!
though i read that being toilet trained is itself like a developmental milestone. the kids will do it when they're ready. some kids r fast, some kids slow. thanks for e tips!

Hi dont force her. Just leave the potty there and easily available so it doesnt feel like she is being forced to do it. Show her you tube videos of other kids doing it. Also leave her diaper off at home at all times. Accidents will happen but after a while she will realise its not nice to have urine on her panties or poo poo. To prevent accidents, go straight to toilet and sit her on the toilet bowl also can. Just make it fun rather than strict. It's very hard for a child when they are only 2 yr old. My son now fully manage without diaper only during the day and it has been about 3.5 mths since being successful and he is 2 yr 9 mths now. So give it time as well, they will start to come to terms with the meaning of the potty and start doing it there. Like your daugther, his initial reaction was also to run off and refused to sit on it. I just try once and let him be. Didnt want to put him off the thought that potty means mummy gets angry! :)

Hi,

My girl started potty trained at 18mths. My mum trained her to use her potty n encourage her to say out whenever she want to urine. She successfully learnt it after a month of training. Subsequently my mum taught her to say it out when she need to pass motion n within 2 weeks she can go to the potty to urine n pass motion. After she had learnt to use potty, she does not use diapers anymore n I must say we save a lot from not using the diapers.
happy.gif
Now at 27 months, she can pull down her panty n use the potty or toilet bowl with child seat to ease herself. A lot of my friends were amazed that she is potty trained at a young age. So my word of advice is all it take is time n patience n also the pace of your child. Just remember once they are ready, they will automatically learnt it.

How to toilet train them at night? my boy only wears nappy during bed time...

my 2 yrs old girl not toilet train yet. she refuses to pee if she's not wearing nappy.. once put back on, she pees!!

How to toilet train them at night? my boy only wears nappy during bed time...

my 2 yrs old girl not toilet train yet. she refuses to pee if she's not wearing nappy.. once put back on, she pees!!

My son fully stopped using diapers by 2yo. During night time training period, every night before he sleeps i will remind him not to pee or poo in his pants, he will acknowledge. In the morning check the diaper if it has pee, remind him again not to do that again. After we had no night accidents for a few consecutive days, we stopped the night diapers.

Here is our training sequence for my son, which we started at abt 22 months (a few months before that, we tried with no diaper once every few weeks , but postponed training coz he pees quite often like every 15-20 mins)
1. Let him understand that he can control the muscles to pee at will, by letting him sit on the potty until he pees. Demo helps. Make it fun with lots of praises upon success.
2. Let him try peeing standing up. This time father must demo n teach how to aim haha. No more day time diapers. Offer to bring him to toilet every half hour. Remind him many times that if he wants to pee, he must tell us. Remind him again after every accident. This phase can take a few weeks.
3. No more nap time diapers. Use waterproof mattress protector n pray..
4. No more night time diapers.
5. Take off own pants & underwear completely to pee unassisted, and wear back again independently
6. Pull down only and practise better aiming so as not to spill any onto pants
7. Flush/spray after pee (completely unassisted), we're not there yet as he loves to play with water haha..

Along the way there will be phases when he will wake up in the night to go to the toilet to pee. But this comes and goes, mostly he sleeps thru the night without the need to get up n pee.

Btw poo training happened earlier by flushing it down the toilet from diaper n showing him how it's done. Offer the toilet after milk or food when u know he will usually poo. Not too many accidents compared to pee training coz we all feel the disgust when it happens i guess.. ha ha. The key i feel is tomake it fun and give lots of praises upon every little success. Good luck mummies!!

Hey, I'm attending this child developmental enrichment program at The Tots' Classroom.

I learnt that we should start bringing the idea of potty at 20 months. And this is crucial because it will be the time that they began to learn self-reliance. Something like what pink_popsicles said.

I'm starting to try that for my girl, she didn't cry but just looked rather curious and unconvinced. haha. So we are at the stage whereby we are doing a lot of encouraging and i found some books on potty training.. hee.

While at the enrichment centre, I see one of the boys who is only 2 yo, is able to wear socks on his own. Oh my, what a great training by the parents man! So proud of achievements like this!

Back