Having difficulties going back to workforce ...

sorrymomstory

Anyone here also feels sorry to your kids be4? Feeling so sorry to them for giving birth to them and bringing them to this stressed world. I have been a SAHM for 9yrs and really need to get back to the workforce ASAP as money wasn't enough anymore. Most important is I suddenly feels that women really need to have their own money now. I am given $20 per day to feed my 2 kids as well as buying all household items needed. This life is making me really sick and tired everyday. In order to save up money to give my kids better food on weekends, I starve myself during the weekdays. I would only eat 1 meal per day(dinner) till I have been dreaming abt food every night when I slp. I feel like a beggar nw as most of the times my husband will forget or purposely(I don't know) to give me the $20 and I have to beg for it. This yr I have sent my kids to the student care so I could go back to the workforce, but as I am a 1 man show at home for everything, I have to pick up my kids latest at 6.30pm from the student care. Until nw I couldn't find a job as I have been staying home for 9yrs, so I have no skills. I can only work 5 days and I have to find a job not too far and can only work until the latest 5.30pm to be on time to pick my kids. I am really feeling so frustrated nw as I cant find a job. My friend works in a recruitment agency, told me she has no suitable job for me at all as I have no skills and my timing is not flexible.

What can I do nw?
Feeling so sad and helpless.

Out of workforce for 9 years
Can only work 5 days a week
Can only work till 5.30pm and not too far

Have you consider searching for a part time job? Part time job is easier to start with as compare to full time. If you were to ask what kind of job, then I say any kind of job. As long it can gets you out there doing something and earning something. As much as you have your family commitments, you also need to factor in your employer's commitment to his/ her business.

Retail stores, F&B outlets, supermarkets are always very shortage of staffs but you have to commit during the weekends. The market rate is about 6 - 8 dollars per hour. Just 4 hours a day and you can forget about begging from your husband. You can also try walking in to any opportunity you see around your neighborhood.

Time to take action now and never stop till you found a job. :)

I totally understand how u feel when u need to be 1 man show at home without help .I m also a sahm for coming 3 yrs and i find it hard to find job that can accomodate our timing.especially we need to fetch our kids by certain timing.
But how many employers can understand ??
In your case,only part time job is possible and like dr tooth has mentioned,even a part time ntuc cashier u can also take up cause you are in no position to choose job now given your situation.
So anything decent job can let u work and earn some money is already good enough.
End day we just want to make sure the kids are well feed .

How come your hb is giving you $20 per day?? U go and tell him what can $20 buy???
Want fish and meat and vegetables for 3 meals??tell him go fly kite..he thought $20 is big"f"xxx.

I am one who goes to the market almost everyday to buy vegetables and meat and etc ..it easily cost $50 ..so $20 is.definately not enough.
You should ask for a monthly household allowance so that you can plan and control the money .

The issue is my kids are still young so I have to take care of them on weekends. There are nobody ard to help me at all. NTUC, I have went down for interview and requested for permanent night shift but they say need to work rotating shift. Part-time, Yes, I don't mind too, but there isn't any that can don't work on weekends, like KOI, LIHO, restaurants. All needed to work on weekends. Even stall assistants, all require weekends, and they told me, weekends business is the busiest, Y would they want to hire someone who cant work on weekends? True, as in their position, I wouldn't hire myself too.

https://giant.sg/available-positions/

Click on the link, scroll down to Night Filler is permanent night shift.

I'm glad you are willing to take up night shift. 7-11, Cheers are all looking for staffs. Google and you should be able to find their advertisements. Even weekend night shifts will allow you to look after your kids during the day. Please bear in mind night shift work is not recommended for very long term. It is very damaging to your health. But at least, it is still a good start for you to slowly progress to finding a full time job. :)

Don't forget when you do night shift jobs, you will be at least first 2 weeks of bodily exhaustion and adjustment. I wouldn't recommend you take night shift when your kids are so young gal. Take a course & upgrade? it's 3-6months juggling between work, kids and your course. I went through, it's so bloody tough and I broke down , my body system couldn't take it after 3 months of juggling.

I had PM you an alternative to consider. Whatever your decision, just bear in mind first is your health. Not money or kids or hubby. Once you have good health, you can ran the race and take care of your kids.

May Peace be with you.

God bless

Ts is having good health now. She will be mentally frustrated and exhausted if she couldn't provide sufficient food on the table for the kids and herself.

As of now, job comes first! Only when she works, then there will be cpf contributions follow by receiving workfare letter. With the workfare letter, she can continues to take up courses and upgrade herself to prepare for new career challenges. At least that's how it works for me. :)

https://www.workfare.gov.sg/Pages/WTS.aspx

https://www.workfare.gov.sg/Pages/WIS.aspx

Last edited:
Pls take care of ur health so that you can take care of ur kids.they need mummy.so you cant be down.there are other alt.to job placement.加油。god bless .

If you dont mind working as a part time freelance helper, you can try to register in this website. Its $16/hour according to the website. I tried their service and paid $20/hour. The cleaners are quite professional, perhaps they do provide training to their staff.
https://www.helpling.com.sg/apply

Back