Growing Pains

mlr

Hi all

Does any mummies or daddies here whom had experience "growing pains" of their kiddos?

My 6 yr old has been waking up in the middle of the night crying in pains. He has very bad pain at the back of his knees.

It started last year and now its getting more frequent (once a week, compared to once or so a month).

We consulted with family doctor and even a pedi. After a couple of rounds of examination for "lumps" and thorough investigation to rule out any trauma and injuries, they advise that its growing pains. Panadol was prescribed to ease the pain if it gets bad. He did grow a total of 5 over cm in the last year. My mom said that I had the same thing when I was about 7 as well (which of course I have no recollection) of.

We check with his classmates, seems like he is the only one getting it.

So would like to ask if any other kiddos experience the same thing.

TIA

hi,
my gal started when she abt 2+. She 6+ now. Pain less frequent and hopefully will outgrow by this yr. Her teacher's son outgrow it when he almost 8 years old.
hope this help.

Hi hi, thanks for the info.
Is it at the back of the knees area?
Last night was another bad episode, I hardly sleep, had to give panadol at 3 am.
I tried rubbing/massaging the area, but it doesnt seems to help at all.

Thanks for answering my questions.

hi,
ya. i rub wi tiger balm or ru yu oil (the heat helps).
din giv her any panadol, dun want her to rely on it. Also notice if she did more running, jumping etc exercise she sure will get pain at night. we told teachers abt it to avoid those heavy exercise.

Mlr,
My frend warned me abt tis. Her son went thru it and she was like u, brought her kid thru tests and was told it was growing pains. Im glad she told me, cos my boy oso experience msterious pains in his legs over the last yr or so. He is 6yo tis yr.

No specific areas. Smtimes he says knees, or calf. But i observed its alwys the lower part of the legs ie knee downwards.

It doesnt really bother him cos he is very active. Only at nite when he quiet down then he feel the pain. He accepts it when i tell him its growing pains and i will rub vicks or tiger balm just to make him feel better.

I tink its part of growing up. Dun worry too much altho i can empathise with ur heartpain to hear ur child crying in pain.
Take care

Hi sungrapes and JanMom
Tks for sharing.
I do note that after a full day activities, the pains are more intense. The heat does helps, as I rub Zambak (his fav "cure-all" balm), he feels better. Maybe its psychological, but hey if it helps....

Hope he will outgrows it soon...

Back