greedy paediatricians (or how to use a paediatrician)

kurouto

I had been going to both polyclinics and private paediatricians for jabs (and for troubleshooting son's problems) and here is my experience.

polyclinics nurses sit there whole day and do only jabs, so she is more experienced at jabbing painlessly. she is paid the same if she spends more time to patiently get the job done right. polyclinics are also spacious, has nice waiting area, breastfeeding room and pleasant place to be at. the jabbing area is separated from sick children areas (at sgh, not sure about others).

i had also been going to a private paediatric group for optional jabs, thinking that i can get some doctor advice while at it. this causes the doctor to charge around 100 sgd more per session to give the jab (ending up around 200 SGD per session whereby polyclinics would charge 50-100 SGD). while he is trained as a doctor, i think he is less experienced at jabbing baby than nurses. somehow, i have also been getting the feeling that paedatric doctors are watching time and trying to earn back if he is spending more time with you (if you ask more question or if the baby needs time to get the jab done). from the three doctors i have seen in different practices groups, they tends to sell me useless products to make back from the time spent. some of these products are oral biotics, creams (rashes cream, wash shampoos) etc. these items will cost additional 50-100 sgd more. i am not sure if these doctors has the interest of my child in mind and if these creams will weaken my child's abilities in the long run.

if you need to see a private paediatric, probably the best way to use them is to ask questions to make sure that nothing critical is happening to your child. when the doctor recommend biotics, creams of all sorts; just turn him down or find ways to reject it while paying.

I had been going to both polyclinics and private paediatricians for jabs (and for troubleshooting son's problems) and here is my experience.

polyclinics nurses sit there whole day and do only jabs, so she is more experienced at jabbing painlessly. she is paid the same if she spends more time to patiently get the job done right. polyclinics are also spacious, has nice waiting area, breastfeeding room and pleasant place to be at. the jabbing area is separated from sick children areas (at sgh, not sure about others).

i had also been going to a private paediatric group for optional jabs, thinking that i can get some doctor advice while at it. this causes the doctor to charge around 100 sgd more per session to give the jab (ending up around 200 SGD per session whereby polyclinics would charge 50-100 SGD). while he is trained as a doctor, i think he is less experienced at jabbing baby than nurses. somehow, i have also been getting the feeling that paedatric doctors are watching time and trying to earn back if he is spending more time with you (if you ask more question or if the baby needs time to get the jab done). from the three doctors i have seen in different practices groups, they tends to sell me useless products to make back from the time spent. some of these products are oral biotics, creams (rashes cream, wash shampoos) etc. these items will cost additional 50-100 sgd more. i am not sure if these doctors has the interest of my child in mind and if these creams will weaken my child's abilities in the long run.

if you need to see a private paediatric, probably the best way to use them is to ask questions to make sure that nothing critical is happening to your child. when the doctor recommend biotics, creams of all sorts; just turn him down or find ways to reject it while paying.

Hello, i use polyclinic for my girls jab beco it is cheaper then going private. If u are someone who believe in giving your child all type of vaccination that is available (mandatory + optional), then please note that Polyclinic might not have the full range of optional vaccination.

Now polyclinics have optional vaccinations too. The nurse help to schedule it with the compulsory one. My LO took rota virus, PCV, chickenpox. Hep A also have. Which polyclinic u visited?

Now polyclinics have optional vaccinations too. The nurse help to schedule it with the compulsory one. My LO took rota virus, PCV, chickenpox. Hep A also have. Which polyclinic u visited?
Hello, thanks for the great new. I was using Sengkang polyclinic. Hope that they are well stock up now. Sorry for my wrong information, my information was 2 years old.

Hello, thanks for the great new. I was using Sengkang polyclinic. Hope that they are well stock up now. Sorry for my wrong information, my information was 2 years old.
Sengkang under singhealth cluster don't carry some of the optional jabs. Try national healthcare one, they have all. Mine took at west areas have. Maybe you try hougang or Toa payoh one

actually true lo, i totally agree..since the mandatory jabs are free for all Singaporean babies in polyclinics, why not go for it? It's not as if the mandatory jabs are more "atas"in private clinics.

Sengkang under singhealth cluster don't carry some of the optional jabs. Try national healthcare one, they have all. Mine took at west areas have. Maybe you try hougang or Toa payoh one

Hello, thanks for the tip. Noted, i will try the hougang one for the 2nd bb. How nice if Singhealth can carry the same, i previously alsways thought polyclinic should all be same same de.

What a big contrast between us:eek:!! I never have to worry about paying for the jabs because I avoid them like the plague. In fact I'll not jab my kids even if THEY pay me to do so. Sorry for gate-crashing.

What a big contrast between us:eek:!! I never have to worry about paying for the jabs because I avoid them like the plague. In fact I'll not jab my kids even if THEY pay me to do so. Sorry for gate-crashing.

No worries, there are 2 camp, one swear by taking every vaccine jab available and the other camp which is where you belong too. Both camp are able to pull out tons of article by famous doctor to backup their believe. All i can say is to each it owns. I believe every parent love their bb a lot and will surely give them watever they believe is best for them.

This topic imho is totally pointless to discuss beco fervent member of both camp typically are made up of parent who does extensive reading up.

Happy parenting. :)

Eh, check with you, is it a must to vaccinate the kids before they go to Primary One, else they are not allowed for admission?

this is definitely a good advice. been discussing this topic with my group of friends choose btw poly n priv ~

Eh, check with you, is it a must to vaccinate the kids before they go to Primary One, else they are not allowed for admission?

Hello, there are a list of Vaccination that bb in SG need to get and proof via the health book to show during P1 registration. Maybe there are some special way to work around it for parents who are in the camp of pro ZERO vaccination de.

Jia you.

Hello, there are a list of Vaccination that bb in SG need to get and proof via the health book to show during P1 registration. Maybe there are some special way to work around it for parents who are in the camp of pro ZERO vaccination de.

Jia you.
Ehhh, I am in the pro-vaccination camp. The cons of vaccination are just some allergies which affect the minority. This cannot be used to say that vacination is bad.

Ehhh, I am in the pro-vaccination camp. The cons of vaccination are just some allergies which affect the minority. This cannot be used to say that vacination is bad.

Hello, of cos can, you are mummy, of cos can fully decide, do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Then again, if you chance upon a pro No vaccination folks, dun be suprise that they will be able to whip out a lot of well researched paper prepared by famous doctors that cite cases of prefectly healthy babies after given so & so vaccination jab then become jia lat or maybe even die.

Both camp is not lying, so really is each parent should just decide for themselves. This is a bit bit like religon i think. Everyone choose whatever they want to believe then after died liao either celebrate or say siao liao over his or her choice.

Jia you.

Back