1. We've compiled a list of frequently asked questions and their answers at http://singaporemotherhood.com/forum/threads/faq-on-using-the-new-forum.21478/
    Dismiss Notice

Complusory Vaccination

Discussion in 'Motherhood, Pregnancies And Babies' started by winstonloh, Sep 18, 2010.

1. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi all,

Under the Infectious Diseases Act, vaccination against diphtheria and measles are compulsory. Other vaccinations under the National Childhood Immunisation Programme, although highly recommended, are optional.

Diphtheria toxoid was combined with acelluar pertussis vaccine and tetanus toxoid to make the combination DTaP vaccine.

You can go to Raffles hospital to have Measles vaccination for your kid. Single dose of measles vaccine cost(including consultation and GST) would be approximately $220.

For DTaP vaccination you can go to Polyclinic. It is free.

2. pingping

pingping Active Member

3. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi all,

Although vaccination against diphtheria and measles are compulsory, many parents choose not to vaccinate due to health reasons or risk concerns. On average 3% of the babies are not vaccinated against diphtheria and measles every year.

You can read the Communicable Diseases Surveillance in Singapore Reports from 2000 to 2009 at MOH website.

4. deeoeeb

deeoeeb Member

Hi Winston,

Just curious, since diphtheria and measles are compulsory by law in SG, will parents be charged if their kids are not vaccinated againts those two?

5. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi dee,

You will get a reminder if you miss the schedule. If you are not comfortable to let your kid got for vaccination, nobody can force you to do so.

6. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi all,

There is no single Diphtheria vaccine available. The next alternative is DT vaccine but this type of vaccine is only available for kids more than 6-7 years old

7. bÜgz

bÜgz Active Member

Hi Winston,

Do u have kids n how old are they? Gone for jabs?

We got a reminder letter at 2 yrs old fm hpb..now he's turning 3, and they are calling up to ask again..

Care to share your experience on how you handled this?

8. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi do1nk,

My kid has not reached the age yet. Normally, HPB will send letter after age of 2.

I have asked many parents and they shared with me that they just ignored the letter.

Alternatively, you can send email to MOH at http://www.pqms.moh.gov.sg/apps/cust_enquiry_form.aspx requesting MOH to guarantee your child safety. In the email, you can highlight your concern.

Please note that many children never go for compulsory vaccination when they enter Primary school. Go to MOH website to download annual report.

If you are not comfortable to let your kid got for vaccination, nobody can force you to do so.

Is your kids in childcare center now?

9. bÜgz

bÜgz Active Member

Not in cc, but attending daily classes now..will wait til they call me again, then I'll ask my questions..thanks!

10. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi do1nk,

Do you mean HPB call you personally or send you reminder letter?

Thanks.

11. bÜgz

bÜgz Active Member

my pd said they called to enquire and my pd passed them my tel no so they will call me instead... So waiting for their call now

12. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi do1nk,

Please let me know what is HPB respond to your concern.

Thanks.

13. emo3199

emo3199 Member

Hi do1nk,

do let me know the HPB respond cos i am concern over these vaccination also.

Tks

14. emo3199

emo3199 Member

All mummies out there, i have a question to ask, if my girl did not take the MMR shot, can she still go childcare?

15. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Emo3199,

Under the Infectious Diseases Act, vaccination against diphtheria and measles are compulsory. Thus, you do not need to get MMR shot.

You can go to Raffles hospital to have Measles vaccination for your kid. Single dose of measles vaccine cost(including consultation and GST) would be approximately $220.

MCYS may request you to submit a vaccine record when you enter childcare center. Depend on the childcare center, some will allow you to enter first, then you submit.

If you are not comfortable to let your kid go for vaccination, nobody can force you to do so.

16. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi do1nk,

Any call from HPB? What is the status now?

Thanks.

17. emo3199

emo3199 Member

Hi Winston Loh,

Tks so much for the info.

I am really not comfortable with my girl vaccinated with so many shots.

To me, it seems to be over doing!

:) anyway, just my opinion. :)

18. bÜgz

bÜgz Active Member

think they couldn't get through coz the clinic gave them the wrong no! Anyway.. our PD warned us recently that a conscious effort NOT to jab may land us a $10K fine and he has to show that he has told me to go get the jab numerous times, if asked.. sigh..

can't recall now, did the act specifically say we need the two jabs by age 2?

wanna ask those who has kids that are older and still un-jabbed... like ping, maybe... how has things gone for you? no trouble at all and still haven't taken the 2 compulsory jabs?

19. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi do1nk,

Not to worry, I have known kids going to public school with 2 or less vaccination.

20. erica

erica Member

Hi Winston, do you know if the booster jabs for measles and diphtheria are compulsory especially for primary one children in public primary school.

I wish I knew that I can do so little vaccines earlier as my child has medical issues. I don't want to tax his system further.

Can you pm me as I only stumble upon this thread. Tks!

21. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Erica,

Only one booster diphtheria vaccination is compulsory. For measles, there is no requirement for booster jab.

Under the Infectious Diseases Act, vaccination against diphtheria and measles are compulsory. Other vaccinations under the National Childhood Immunisation Programme, although highly recommended, are optional.

Although vaccination against diphtheria and measles are compulsory, many parents choose not to vaccinate due to health reasons or risk concerns. They are all well-informed parents and know the risks and benefits of vaccination.

Do not just follow what is recommended. Always ask questions.

And also do not worry about begin charged in court. Nobody can write a letter of assurance that your child will be OK after vaccination.

School will accept any kids with or without any vaccination.

22. citrella

citrella New Member

Oh goodness. Thank God I read this thread early. Almost wanted to let my baby go for pneumoccocal jab because she got bronchitis earlier and was warded in hospital.

I was strongly recc by polyclinic nurse to go for 6-in-1 jab because she is in childcare. Oh gosh, I don't even know what vaccines are in the 6 in 1.

Went to do some research and saw this website.
    http://www.nir.hpb.gov.sg/nir/sv/eservices/eservicesv?ACTION=DISPLAY_IMMUNSCH

My gal is 8 months now and there is an appointment 2 weeks later for her injection. Now, I wonder what injection is that cos it's not under the immunization schedule table above.

23. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi citrella,

My suggestion is that postpone the 6-in-1 jab until you have found what is it.

Take single vaccine antigen or minimum combine vaccine antigens if you wish to let your baby go for vaccination. Nobody will sign a letter of guarantee for vaccination. You will be responsible for the reaction your baby may get.

Do your baby a service. Read up all the vaccine supposed to protect him/her and check whether it is necessary to do it. And also, what are the risks involved?

Also note that although your babies may have already vaccinated with some vaccines, your babies may still get the virus or bacteria that supposed to protect him or her if encounter.

Imagine you attend a buffet lunch. After the lunch, you got food poisoning. Many test needed to perform on the buffet lunch food to ascertain the source of contamination. However, if you order a chicken rice and get food poisoning, it will be easy to check the source.

Apply this to vaccination. If your baby gets certain reaction after having multiple vaccination at the same time or take those 3-in-1, 5-in1 or 6-in-1 vaccine, it is difficult for the doctor to ascertain which type vaccine trigger the reaction. This was exactly happened in Japan last March 2011.

Last year, certain Vaccines were halted after four children die in Japan; It was noted that most of the patients had concurrently received multiple vaccines while some were reported to have underlying illnesses, making it "difficult to link the adverse event to a particular vaccine".

Nobody will know how these babies died. I pity the parents whom have lost their babies.

In the USA, billions of dollars was compensated to the victim for adverse vaccine reaction.

There is no compensation scheme in Singapore.

You may want to read up this two threads.

1. http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/cgi-bin/forumboard/show.cgi?36738/1524014

2. http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/cgi-bin/forumboard/show.cgi?36738/6818178

24. jmvagabond

jmvagabond New Member

Is there an anti-vaccination community in Singapore or is it time to create one?

What about raising our children free of any vaccine and let their own immune system developed naturally?

Get informed before jabbing your child!

25. deeoeeb

deeoeeb Member

26. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

There is NO anti-vaccination community in Singapore. Most of parents I spoke to just follow the others. They can tell me many babies had taken many vaccines and nothing happen.

What they do not know that many babies are suffering silently from vaccine related side-effect. It does not mean that the side effect must be death. It can be like weakening of immune system.

Vaccine can cause cancer. So when the baby got it, they just blame to luck. What they do not know, they may indirectly causing it.

27. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Just to reiterate my previous posting. A Child can enroll to school with or without vaccination. Please let me know if you encounter any problem when trying to enroll to a school.

28. celiawg

celiawg New Member

hi i'm trying to enrol my child in a pcf kindergarten for nursery class, but they asked for her immunisation records to be submitted. i said she only had her bcg when born but nothing else and i was told she could not enrol.

can you let me know if what you said is true then? that a child can enroll in a school with or without vaccination? if true can i take it up with the kindergarten?

onlysingle likes this.
  29. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Celia,

May I know how long is nursery class?

Did the principal inform you on what basic he or she needs to have the immunisation records? And what does the principal expect to see? All vaccination to be completed or just the compulsory vaccination. If the principal asked you to vaccinate all the recommended vaccination, please let me know the principal name and the PCF Branch. I will feedback to MOH. Does the principal ask why no vaccination done? The principal has no right to ask your kid to go for vaccination.

If this branch does not enrol your kid, you can try other branches or private nursery class. Sometime, it is just the principal does not want your kid.

For more information on how many percentage of vaccination done in Singapore in Year 2011, read the Childhood Immunisation section http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/dam/moh_web/Publications/Reports/2012/Communicable%20Diseases%20Surveillance%20in%20Singapore%202011/Childhood%20Immunisation.pdf

It is precisely due to people like the principal that "force" kid to go for vaccinations.

Remember, even you need to go for vaccination, only two are required. And if anybody tell you to vaccinate all because it is "complusory", please let me know. I will feedback to MOH and the the person organisation.

30. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Celia,

May I know whether you still face problem of enrolling your kid to PCF kindergarten for nursery class? Have you tried other PCF branch?

31. sw777

sw777 New Member

Hi
    I have given my son the first dose 5-in-1 vaccine jab and is due for 2nd dose. really not comfortable giving him this jab as he had fever for 2 days and lost his appetite for 1 week after the 1st dose. didnt know that these vaccinations are actually not compulsory, only recommended, except for measles and diphtheria, as a KKH pediatrican actually told me that all the vaccines listed are compulsory!
    does anyone know if i can dont give him the rest of the jab for the 5 in 1 ?

32. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

A vaccine contains the tetanus, pertussis, Haemophilus influenza b (Hib) and polio vaccines (commonly known as 5-in-1 in Singapore). Booster shots are given at 18 months and again between 10-11 years (Primary Five).

The reason a child needs booster jab is to make sure the child immune system recognise it and hence in theory can fight the virus/bacteria more effectively. However, not all children are the same. While some do not have any problem, some children do seriously affected by vaccination.

A child can skip those booster vaccination. Many parents skip booster vaccination after seeing their children suffered from first vaccination.

Vaccination may have long-term complication, as it might raise cancer incidence rate and weaken immune system. Those children with many vaccinations done, may be fall sick easily and recover much slower than an unvaccinated children.

Please report nurse and doctor name whom give wrong information on vaccination.

I will feedback to MOH to ask for disciplinary action against such person.

33. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

A vaccine contains the Diphtheria,tetanus, pertussis, Haemophilus influenza b (Hib) and polio vaccines (commonly known as 5-in-1 in Singapore). Booster shots are given at 18 months and again between 10-11 years (Primary Five).

34. celiawg

celiawg New Member

hi winston, i am trying to get into another kindergarten right now and i will let you know if we are successful.

35. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Celia,

So you choose non PCF branch? Am I right?

My friend have met playgroup asking parents to jab chickenpox vaccine. My friend told them off straight on what basic they ask him to do so. They cannot answer. This is ridiculous as chickenpox vaccine is not under the recommendation list. In the end, he chose another playgroup. A lot of private kindergarten do not have strict rule on vaccination for fearing losing business.

MOE does not deny an unvaccinated child to enter primary school, so on what reason a kindergarten can refuse you to allow your kid to enter.

36. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Celia,

What is the status of your child kindergarten enrolment? Share with us your experience.

37. tongtong8

tongtong8 Active Member

i also want to know whether i could enrol my kid if she only had bcg..

where can we get the only compulsory single jab here in sg? Raffles hospital?

winston, did you jab your kid - measle and diptheria?

38. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Angie,

I have checked many kindergartens and so far PCF is quite "strict" on vaccination. However, they themselves are confused. It said MMR is complusory and when I corrected them, then they said measles is complusory. Nothing mentioned on diphtheria until I told them. They told me they just follow the advice of HPB. PCF can tell me to ask the doctor to write excuse letter for Mump and Rubella. I do not wish to argue with them as they do not know what they are doing. There is no need to write excuse letter for Mump and Rubella as they are not complusory.

I also spoken to many private kindergartens and they are also not sure if they can accept child whom do not follow vaccination schedule. MOE just informed them to have a copy of vaccination record and file it at their office. They do not even need to submit to MOE.

According to the HPB, a child who has yet to complete his or her immunisations will not be denied entry into Primary One. Instead, parents are reminded to get them back on track before the start of the school year. Alternatively, if the child is found to have incomplete vaccinations during the Primary One annual health screening, school health nurses from the HPB will administer the vaccination on-site, in schools. And a consent form will be sent to parents.

Some kindergarten requested chickpox vaccination to be done. So every kindergarten has their own preference of vaccination.

Unless the kindergarten is so good, give this pre-school a miss as they are many kindergartens accept children whom do not follow vaccination schedule. It is because, there is no rule saying they have to reject. It is up to the individual pre-school make their own business decision. They know there are more and more children whom do not follow vaccination schedule and they also know not all vaccines are complusory. Even PCF only ask for MMR vaccination which is not complusory, the other vaccines they do not even ask me.

39. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Angie,

No need to go for compulsory vaccines if you are not comfortable doing so. Nobody can force you.

There are many children without complusory vaccines entering primary school. Check the annual report from MOH website.

40. tsunami

tsunami New Member

I vaccinated my gal for bcg when she was 4mo n she had a huge change in her temperament for abt 10 days.. From a babbling laughing baby.. To a spaced out n unresponsive baby.. The worry n stress I had to go through is beyond words n hence my reservations twds vaccinations.. My pd isn't pro vac n told me my gal may be sensitive to vac when I brot her back 5 days after the vac.. Yet she is well aware of the situation in sg w rgds to vaccinations..
    Having said all tt.. It's come time to pick a nursery for her n my pd have just forewarned me tt they require vac.. Is there anything I can do abt this at all... Feeling a desperate n worried for my gal who may be 'forced' to vac..

41. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

There is no regulation to say that a child whom does not follow vaccination schedule, including compulsory vaccines, is not allowed to enter pre-school and primary school.

I got pre-school principals telling me all vaccinations are compulsory and when I corrected them, they suddenly "awaken". You must tell them the facts, and many will accept it.

Many parents send their kids to kindergarten without following vaccination schedule. This is a fact.

42. apple79

apple79 Active Member

Hi Winston,

From what I understand there are two jabs complusory by law. but you stated above that we can even skip the two complusory ones or have I misunderstood?

I am currently skipping all the jabs for my #3 (though she has taken bcg and 2 dose of Hep B unfortunately) and intend to give the complusory ones before she enters pri sch.

43. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Apple,

Nobody can force you to do any compulsory vaccination. Nobody can take action against you. Answer is simple. Doctor and even MOH cannot guarantee safety in any medical procedure, like vaccination.

Do you know under the law, you are supposed to give compulsory vaccine to your kid at age of 2. You will receive a reminder letter from HPB, asking you to let your kid go for missed vaccine. Just ignore it.

For more information on how many percentage of vaccination done in Singapore in Year 2011, read the Childhood Immunisation section http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/dam/moh_web/Publications/Reports/2012/Communicable%20Diseases%20Surveillance%20in%20Singapore%202011/Childhood%20Immunisation.pdf

You will see about 4-5% kids never go for compulsory vaccination entering primary school.

No school can reject your kid based on vaccination status. This is a fact.

44. apple79

apple79 Active Member

Has anyone actually been fine for not vaccinating?

according to regulations under the IDA, it is an offence not to vaccinate children against certain diseases. For example, it is compulsory for children to be vaccinated against diseases such as diphtheria within 12 months of their birth, while vaccination against measles should be carried out between one year and two years of age. As prescribed by the IDA, failure to vaccinate against diphtheria and measles carries a punishment of a fine not exceeding $10,000 and/or six-month imprisonment.
    http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/482

45. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Hi Apple,

Not to my knowledge that people are fine. Speak to your lawyer if you have any concern on IDA.

If you read the annual report by MOH, it never stated parents are fine. Instead, HPB wll send a reminder to parents for missed dose.

Under IDA, you shall be fined if you do not send kid for vaccination by age 2. So far, I know no summon issued to parents for not vaccine their kid by age 2.

Not too worry to much. Doctor and even MOH cannot guarantee safety in any medical procedure, like vaccination. So how can people sue you if they cannot even assure your child safety.

46. apple79

apple79 Active Member

Thanks Winston for the information.

47. deeoeeb

deeoeeb Member

Yes.. I know of some whose child didn't get all the shots and still can go childcare..

48. MinMin911

MinMin911 New Member

Hi Winston, I'm really glad to have been introduced through a friend to this discussion thread. My son, now in Primary, had received all his basic jabs before I learned more about the dangers of vaccination, even when he had, what I now believe to be, reactions. Having now armed myself with much more info, I am obviously concerned about his booster shots. He is apparently due for his Polio and MMR boosters. Even if there is a single measles booster shot, I'd like to avoid it as far as possible. I'd like to know, are booster shots also compulsory by law?
    Thanks

49. winstonloh

winstonloh Member

Measles booster is not compulsory. But diphtheria booster is compulsory.

MMR is not compulsory.

Just a note. Even for compulsory vaccines, you can simply ignore it. Nobody dare to ask you to vaccine.

50. MinMin911

MinMin911 New Member

Thanks Winston.

That's a relief to hear as at the moment they are chasing me for the MMR and Polio boosters, so if the measles booster is not compulsory, then I can just tell them that straight away. I will have to deal with them again when my child is in P5 and due for the Diptheria booster, because as you say that is compulsory.
    I will not let anybody force me to inject anything into my child, which I am not comfortable with. What I do wonder though, is:
    - if they slap a hefty fine or worse still imprison people for not vaccinating their children at least with Diptheria/Measles.
    - Do you know what the logic behind this compulsory vaccination for Diptheria and Measles is?

Thanks again Winston and anyone else on this thread, who may have an answer for me.