Gestational Diabetes

Bbkk, I've no idea but there was no negotiation allowed whether to take insulin or just control by diet. The doctors were determined to start me on insulin straight away. Let me dig out my result and share with you once I found it.

Also, I told the diabetes nurse that I will trial and error certain foods that I've never tried before so when my reading gets higher than it's supposed to be, I will just tell her what I ate. Certain foods don't cause a spike in sugar level for some but do for others.

Ocean blue,

Yes, i am seeing gynae in NUH high risk clinic. My gynae mainly Dr. Anita Sugam or Dr. Mahesh. But sometimes, if not so lucky, can see some junior doctor...So, i really considering my old gynae for delivery. May i know which gynae you are seeing and are you under private for O&G and subsidised in diabetic clinic?
I had detail scan at wk 21 and wk 27 , another in wk 32. Normal check up, as i am in clinic G, the gynae only measure my tummy , never scan.

Agree, the diabetic clinic is super expensive. I cannot imagine if not subsidised and having to visit almost every 2 weeks.

Bibi,

Are u a high risk case that is why u r under the high risk clinic (didn't know they have such a clinic at NUH)? Who is your previous doc? I'm seeing Prof Mary Rauff as a private patient and just got downgraded to subsidised patient status at the diabetes clinic.

My appt with the diabetes clinic is once every 4 weeks but from today onwards it'll be once every 6 weeks. What abt u?

Gd morning mummies,

I'm also tested positive for GD one week ago for my 2nd pregnancy. I couldn't believe it at first coz my bb is considered smaller than average size and I didn't gain as much wt as my first preg. So far I put on 6kg since the start of this preg and I'm currently at 29 wks. I believe with this strict diet I won't put on much wt from now on. I've just finished 2 days of pricking and fax the results to my gynae, waiting for further instructions.

It's really difficult for me to gauge the right portion and right type of food to eat. My glucose level shot up after 2 meals. Now I really limit my portion. Am glad that some of the food that I like are within the acceptable range. Such as mr bean peanut pancake with 25% sugar soya milk (purposely tried 25% and it's ok. Woohoo), subway cold cut trio sandwich without the sauce ( reading actually went below the acceptable range after taking it), as well as ichiban sushi light cheesecake (gd alternative when I have craving for cakes). As for fruits, so far no problem with grapes and red apples.

bibi,
post 2 hr OGTT my reading was 9.2 but doc just said if diet can control no need insulin..

bbkk,
i only do testing for 2 consecutive days. when i took vegetarian brown rice w guava, reading was 7.2. when i took spagetti, reading was 7.8. Other food such as yong tau fu bee hoon or normal mix brown rice even w strawberries are ok.

xuan, peanut pancake ok, really surprisely. iciban light cheesecake.. hmm, shall buy one to eat this weekend. wahaha. i try to take green apples nowadays less sweet

Ladies,
do share more of what we can take by posting here. cheers

I realised everyone's body reacts differently. What food works for me, may not work for others.

For e.g. My sugar level is good when I take pasta (e.g. homecooked chicken macaroni soup) and guavas are OK for me too but apples, even small ones, are not. It's just weird.

Also, I found out from the diabetes nurse that when eating out, our blood sugar tends to increase as we've no idea how the cooks prepare the dishes. They could add sugar to the broth or red dates, etc. When I take yong tau foo, my sugar level spikes. So, she suggested taking it plain (yucks). Yesterday, I had 老火汤 old cucumber pork ribs soup with half bowl of rice and a small plate of tau kee (beancurd skin) and my sugar level spiked to 8.5
sad.gif

A lot of trial and error are needed. I've been taking insulin and checking sugar level for the last 15 weeks and I'm still experimenting.

But, what we can do is cut down on carbs and sugar and increase protein and veg intake. This way, we don't rely on carbs to keep us full. We need a lot of protein anyway.

Topsy,
Coz I'm thinking if we can take peanut butter so mr bean peanut pancake should be ok too. I wanted to eat red bean but reckon it will be too sweet. But the traditional mee chiam kueh peanut pancake cannot coz they add sugar to the peanut filling.

Anyone tried taking McD big breakfast? Wanted to bring my girl for mcd bf but dunno what I can eat. Used to eat hotcakes but wo the maple syr won't be nice.

Actually, without the pricking, we won't know if we exceed the tolerance level when we try new food. How?

Xuan,

How often are u doing the finger prick?

I tried suusage mcmuffin with egg and the hashbrown and my sugar level spiked. I tried twice and twice it was the same.

Ocean,

I think this high risk clinic only in G clinic where they see subsidised patient. Only this clinic will provide you "consultant" level gynae for those they think cannot entertained by junior doctor. If normal clinic, good luck to u.

My appointment so far once every 2/3 weeks. As i refuse the jab pre breakfast and lunch..so they are monitoring me very closely. I prick my fingers 7 times a day for 2 days in a week and other days i prick only post meal. So, in a week, i usually have 2 times post breakfast and 2 times post lunch reading 6.6-7.5 range. All other reading below 6.6. And the diabetic clinic doctor still keep pushing me to take the insulin jab for pre lunch. I think sooner or later, i will give in.... Ocean, how many jab you need to do per day?

Bibi

I see. Diabetes clinic nurse and endocrinologist want me to keep the level at 5.5-6.5 (max) which is the ideal level for them. For pre-b'fast, it has to be 4.5-5.5 (max). I take insulin jabs 4 times a day. Used to it already.

And for those who craving for cake, can try cake from this shop 's diabetic cake.
http://www.delciesdesserts.com/about-delcies/the-bakery/pdf-menu/
My lovely hubby found this when he saw me so sad no cake to eat during my birthday.
The reading is ok to take 1 good slice as between meal snack. I bought the black forest cake. Of course, do not expect same texture as normal cake. But to me, it is really good to eat after no dessert for 6 months..

Thanks for the link, Bibi! I just read the answers in the FAQ section. Looks ideal!
happy.gif

Oh yah, I also use agave syrup which doesn't cause a spike but use little as it can be sweet. Bought from AMK NTUC Xtra.

ocean,
cannot take harshbrown.. maybe u can try w/o harshbrown cos it is deep fried.

the ichiban light cheesecake, can take 1 slice for breakfast?

that day i has TCC coffee w equal. arh.. feel like normal beings again. LOL.

Am in my wk 33. hope to pop early.. end of my misery, but could be start of another nightmare..

oh, n i very long nv take white rice. even eat out (if i kw b4hand, will try to cook 1 bowl brown rice & bring with me in thermal flask.
happy.gif

Topsy, try to avoid artificial sugar. It's not good. even without being pregnant, it's not good too.

Bibi, I'm injecting different units for different times of the day.

Pre-b'fast: 6u (fast release) + 8u (slow release)
pre-lunch: 4u (fast release)
pre-dinner: 8u (fast release)
before bed time (3hrs post dinner): 16u (slow release)

Sounds a lot, right? But apparently it's gonna increase soon as my pregnancy progresses.

Ocean_blue,
I'm only asked to do finger prick for 2 consec days for one week and then fax him my results. My next appt is 3 wks later. Still waiting for the clinic to call me for further instructions. Not sure if I'm req to monitor weekly or what.

Yea, I agree that we dont know how the stall holders prepare the food. My friend said that they will add sugar to soup base to make it taste sweeter so soupy stuff might not be the safest. But I don't cook at home so usu will eat out and sometimes at my pils house. Just have to be more conscious of the variety of food and limit portion. Had yong tau foo for lunch, only ordered ingredients.

Topsy,
FYI. I had the cheesecake for snack tog with guava. Just before eating, reading was 6.1 (post lunch) and 3 hrs later (pre dinner), reading was 4.6. U can couple with some biscuits to make it a more nutritious bf?

Ocean,

Yes, a lot. I cannot imagine. 6 jabs per day??
They requested to put me on slow acting initially on wk 13. But i say let me try diet. Then ok. I try to eat early dinner. Eg. finish dinner by 7:30, go for 30min walk, finger prick on 9:30. Then, go ahead to eat my snack. Prick again on 10:30. I asked the doctor, what should be the ideal reading for last check. They say as long as <6. So, i just try to eat while the insulin is still working ( was told effective for 3 hours after injection..). So far the next morning pre breakfast check is ok.

I notice that once start insulin, cannot stop. One time, i tried to skip one day, and eat safe food, sugar shoot up. Seems like the body also adjusted to expecting insulin.

I am on aspirin too(blood thinner). So, i get bruise/red dot mark easily on jab area.

This is my typcial meal of each day:

Morning 8:00am:
1 cup of low fat milk , 2 slice multi grain bread with extra virgin butter + cucumber/vege + carrot/tomato/egg/ extra lean ham/ 1 breakfast sausage, 1 fresh apricot/ 3 strawberries.

Snack 10:30am:
3 wheat crakers / 1 slice bread / 1 apricot+ 3 straberries / 1 small apple/ 1 non fat yoplait yogurt.

Lunch 12:30pm : homecook food brought to office.
Basmati rice + 1 spoon millet ( 1/4 cup when uncook, when cooked , look to me 0.8 bowl rice..)
100g steam pork/chicken
lot of vege.

afternoon snack : 4pm
same as morning snack.

Dinner : 7pm , also homecook food.
Same as lunch just the rice a little more than 1/4 cup.

Late snack 10pm:
Milk + 1 cracker

Outside food , yong tou fu, cannot eat the fishball... Tried fish slice soup ok. But after knowing the fish is batang fish i stop eating. Now only purely eat home cook food...

Ok outside food:
Nando's chicken set meal , side dish 3 bean salad/spicy rice + salad. Reading below 6
Indian tandorri chicken--> OK.
Western food : BBQ/Grilled type --> ok.
Japanese : BBQ beef + seaweed soup --> can eat a lot and reading still good. Can't remember the restaurant name, in Holland V.

Bibi, it's only 4 jabs coz' the slow and fast acting ones can be put into 1 syringe
happy.gif
I'm used to it lor. I was told to wait for minimum 15 mins aft jab then can eat.

No choice. Pancreas not working at optimal so gotta rely on insulin otherwise very risky for baby.

Xuan, yes, so sometimes I really dont know what to eat esp when I thought soupy stuff are the best only to realise that they aren't for people with high sugar level.

Hi,
I was just tested +ve on Monday in my 33 weeks. Was asked to purchase the glucose monitoring device by the clinic today. Any idea if I can rent/loan it?

Thks!

I think I can have lot of good food too.

Things I tried and was ok.
Peanut butter with wholemeal bread. (I always take it when I m hungry)
Ham or butter with wholemeal bread
Low fat yogurt
Spegetti with carbonara
Fried chix wing 2 small piece
Curry fish small portion
Yong tau Fu
Steamboat with Tom yum soup( drink minimum)
1/4 white rice ( usually brown rice)
Porridge
Caixin
Bee hoon soup
Instant mee
Yellow noodles Soup( must buy brown rice made) home cooked
Drank 7-up with ice cream (minimum with lunch)
Meiji crackers
Eclair chlocolate 1 piece after meal
Guava, pear, papaya, watermelon, orange, apple, mango ok

I realize if anything minimum abit should be ok.

Outside food, usually I ate western food like chix with potato, yesterday eat ichiban Japanese udon noodles with the soup and some sushi.. Reading was 5.

I realize walking helps to reduce the sugar level. So whenever I eat those nice food I will go walk walk..and reading was ok.

My clinic at Bt Batok simply asked me to get one on my own. I enquired what device it is and they just flashed me one from their cupboard. Afterwhich I have to ask what I am required to do and record. Can I get a second opinion from a GP on the usage?

Xuan,
Oh u did 3 her post reading? Mine was done 2 her post..

Cat meow,
I rent one from tmc..

Not sure if this is good or bad news. The clinic called and said I no need to do finger pricking anymore, just continue with the strict diet. I had big breakfast (wo hash brown) this morning, but not sure if the reading is acceptable anot. Looks like I have to play by ear from now on. And of course with the with the input from mummies in this thread.

Baby kk,
Looking at your list of food makes me hungry. Haha. Thanks for sharing. At least I know my diet won't be so dull.

Good morning to everyone. Quite sad today. I think my insulin dossage will be increased by doctor tomorrow. Now in 29wk. And can see all reading certainly jump to next level with the same diet for past few days check. Already lose 3 kg since pregnancy. So, i will accept the fact that i have to jab all my pre meal...

Bibi, don't be discouraged. I was recently enlightened by the diabetes nurse that our need for insulin will definitely increase as our pregnancy progresses to cope with the growing needs of our baby since our pancreas can't produce tmr insulin our body needs. It's a natural progression not because of any wrong doing on our part.

Thanks Ocean. I will take doctor's advise as i decided i need to eat more to gain some weight and hopefully baby weight can move to 50 percentile. At least if unlucky preterm, he is not underweight.

Bibi

Up your protein intake (more meat and fish) and veg. This is what I did otherwise I'd have lost more weight. Just take 3-4 servings of carbs a day. Per serving is half the amt of normal serving. Also, u can try kellogg's corn flakes. I take that in btw meals with milk. Good source of fibre, vitamins and calcium.

Ocean,

Thanks. Actually, i am eating quite a lot of vege and meat. But somehow, i also don't know why, seems like only can put on weight with carbs.
Just back from the diabetic clinic.
Now my insulin adjusted to :
1) pre lunch 4unit fast release
2) pre dinner 4unit fast release.
3) bedtime, 4 unit slow release.

Initially the junior doctor prescribe :pre dinner 4 unit fast release and morning pre breakfast 4 unit slow release. The moment one senior doctor walk in, by one look change to above. Sometimes, i really find that being subsidised patient, 1st, doctor keep changing everytime and also not sure to trust their judgement or not.
Will you still visit the senior doctor in diabetic clinic or you will also visit other doctors on duty on Tuesday subsidy clinic?

Bibi

My doctor isn't concern with my weight loss as long as baby is growing well. I think I will still be seeing the senior doc as I only have approx 2more appts w her till I deliver as I now see her only once every 6weeks.

Thanks, Ocean. I managed to borrowed from a relative but it's this set - Accu-Chek®Active System.

Can I enquire what are the usual readings mommies here have? This morning I had one slice of wholemeal bread spread with low fat margarine with one slice of breakfast ham. A glass of HL milk. My reading two hours later was 6.2.

6.2 is excellent! The gauge I was given is btw 5.5 - 6.5 for pre and post meal but 4.5-5.5 for pre bfast.

GPs at polyclinic are less strict but I rather follow the stricter one as we are preg.

But, catmeow, 1slice of bread is it enough for u? I will be hungry. I usually have 2 slices of wholemeal or multigrain bread. I don't take milk in the morning as it has sugar content. Our body absorbs sugar more in the mornings. So, I usually take milo kosong - 1/2 tablespoon of milo powder only.

Hi Ocean,

I mean the diabetes doctor. I found out today the senior doctor i met yesterday is senior consultant in women clinic Chua Tsei Meng. I visited this subsidy clinic almost 8 times and see one time Dr. Vanaja. And 3 times Dr. Chua. Ohter times , unknown junior doctor which really make me very stress everytime wondering they give right judgement. Sorry for the long winded as really need some place to release my anger. Because of your case, it make me cuiouse, today, i personally go to private women clinic and check for upgarde to private patient in women clinic. Then only i found out i can opt to be private in women clinic and remain as subsidy patient in ohter area eg. diabetic. But the G clinic staff told me totally different thing that everything will become private. And i found out the price difference between private and subsidy for antenatal package is just SGD150!! For that small difference, i have to be in G clinic endure long wait, junior doctor, Q for medicine and inconvenience timming of appointment due to those consultant level doctor only in G clinic 1/2 times a week for morning/afternoon.

Catmeow,

For me HL low fat milk fail me.
Magnolia low fat milk ok.
I take 2 slice of multi grain bread and milk as i find that multi grain bread higher fibre content and less carbs. I only take multi-grain bread from this 2 brand, top one and 7-elevan. They have lowest carbs reading around 19 per 2 slice as compare to other brands.

Bibi

I'm under A/Prof Thai Ah Chuan (female).

Difference in the antenatal package is only 150? I paid almost 1k for the antenatal package as my gynae is under Class A+. But, I thought subsidised is only abt 450? I'm not sure. If u can upgrade to private and yet remain as subsidise for the other one then go for it. But, check the details carefully. Can really sense your displeasure in this matter. I would too if I were in your shoes.

Ocean,

Yes, your gynae Mary is very popular in NUH. You are in good hands. For my current gynae Anita, the private and subsidy is just 450 vs 600. Actually, due to my history, i think i know 60%of doctors in O&amp;G already.

Yes, Prof Rauff is very well known in the circle. If yours is only a difference of 150 then switch soon. No pt saving that sum of money for the convenience.

now coming towards wk 35. seems like niang toufu bee hoon cannot satisfy me for long. had it at 12noon &amp; 3pm not up, hungry again
sad.gif

Back