Exasperated with my 5 yr old strong-willed boy

movenpick

Dear all,

I am exasperated with my 4 yrs and 11 mths boy for these couple of years. He was looked after by our maid since birth and at 23 mths old, I forced him to full day childcare as the maid's contract is up and she did not want to extend her contract. I thought giving him 1 mth of adjustment would be enough for him to adapt to CC before my maid left when he turned 24 mths. How wrong I was. It was very bad separation anxiety and I took leave and stood outside the classroom, and I could hear the sharp and persistent crying non-stop from beginning of the class til lunchtime when I brought him home. He cried himself hoarse. After he managed to adjust to CC after 9 mths (Dec 12), I transferred him to another CC near my hse in Jan 13 as it's nearer and better and cheaper. Did not enrol in this CC earlier cos there was no vacancy. The nitemare of adjusting to the new sch, despite being older at 2 years 9 mths, didn't help. In fact, adjustment was slower than the first CC. Til now, he didn't like sch and will often skip sch as the maid has no power to force him to sch. All kids love sch right? Told him there are many frens to play with him and he can learn from the teachers too. Wonder how to cope if he enters primary sch in 2 yrs time. Shd I quit my job then?

Even if I become SAHM, I was driven to exasperation when I took care of him full day. A few days ago, we went out and when we reached the MRT lift, my 2nd boy (2.5 yrs old) wanted to press the lift button and so ran over. The elder boy always want to see him cry etc, so compete with him to the lift. Of cse, the elder boy won and refused to let didi press the lift. Back at home, when I was about to shower didi, gor gor suddenly scratched didi's back with his sharp fingernail, causing didi to cry suddenly and leaving a long red mark on his back. I was livid and asked him why. When he didn't answer me immed, I hit him at the bum hardly for 5 times until my hand was painful. Later when I cool down, I asked him why again. He said I was being unfair. Earlier I told him that whoever reached the lift, pressed the lift button but when he reached first, I asked him to give in to didi. I could see the tears in his eyes but he bravely stopped the tears from rolling down. I felt like crying. How could I be so violent to him when he was my precious darling when didi hasn't come along? I admitted that I like take sides with didi more cos he's younger and cos he looked more than me. I apologized to him the next day.

The next day, I flew into a rage again. This time, he accidentally hit didi's head when he lied down on the bed without checking didi also lied down at that instant. I was angry cos I told him to get off the bed to shower and he didn't comply. I tried to carry him but at 19kg, he was too strong for me. I totally lost it, hit him at the chest, back, shoved him and wanted to push him to the hit the wall and wanted to strangle him. I could not believe my behaviour for being such a violent mum. What overcame me when I saw didi hurt again? Of course, I said sorry and that I won't do it again.

Two days later, I did not hit him but scolded him harshly as he was naughty and locked his bedroom and snatched the key from him. When I didn't give him, he kicked me. So I could only scold. I said, If you lost the key, you would be dead. I dun want to see you or talk to you anymore, so just get out of my sight. You better stayed with teachers and dun come back home. I was so exasperated that I said such nasty words when he would not listen. How do I discipline him? I dun have a cane at home cos my mum used to hit us when we were very young n I hated it. Worse, my mum dun explain why and sprang on us suddenly. Now I explained to my kids and tried not to use violence until recently. Am worried how to discipline him as my hb comes home around 8.30 pm daily and he's growing taller and stronger each day and may be harder to control physically. I dun want to be a child abuser, be it physically or verbally.

Can anyone advise how do you cope with boys? Do you have the same struggles as me? TIA.

Hi Movenpick

I am so sorry to hear of your daily struggles with your older boy. As a mother , I always remind myself to examine MYSELF before I punish a child. I always try to ask myself - am I doing this because I am taking my anger out on them? Or do they really deserve it? Also, I believe you have a maid now? It isn't just boys btw... Girls can behave in similar fashion.

Consider this as potentially what your son's version of the story: I used to be the KING of the family. I play at home all day, do whatever I like, I love my Auntie. Everyone loves me. One day, my mommy force me to goto a strange place with so many children. I am no longer the KING. I do not know anyone. I was so insecure. I was afraid. I was scared. Just as I start to like everyone, and I have friends, mommy brought me to another childcare centre. It was worse! Now I have no more friends! I am older and wiser. So, it makes me more scared, and more afraid.

And then didi came along. Strangely, he gets to stay at home with auntie! He is king! Everytime must give in to him. Everytime must let him win. I always wrong. I am always punished. Nobody likes me anymore. I am being sent away. School is a punishment for being naughty.

Now, before you judge me, please, let me emphasise that the above might be what your child's views might be. It is of no reflection of your decisions and actions, and it is also not a reflection of my opinion on the matter. I believe parents have to make choices, we are not always right, but in our hearts we do wish that we are making all the right decisions!!

It is not easy... but here are some things that I have tried doing to help tackle the issue on sibling rivalry, insecurity and jealousy issues. First of all, as there are punishments, you should consider reward schemes. What does your boy want? An ice cream? A tic tac? A fish? A special toy or meal? Start small. Example... Getting ready to school and coming home with happy face. So after dinner he gets yogurt? Ice cream? Or a visit to playground?

So what about bad behavior? So long as he is in a safe environment, let him cry it out, sulk it out, or stomp it out. No reaction from anyone. And before you train your kids, you need to train yourself. This means no getting angry, no hitting, no scolding, no screaming. After a few days it becomes obvious. Good behavior is loved and rewarded with lots of cuddles, praises, time and small favors like treats or tv time. Bad behavior is ignored. He will get the message soon enough. And a teachable moment is usually better once everyone is calmed down.

Do not make the mistake of comparing him with didi, unless as a compliment. Do not favor didi. And try not hit him unless it is dangerous - like him trying to run across the street or starting a fire! Sometimes, after we calmed down, the punishment we meted out earlier may seem too severe or even illogical. Perhaps we were angry and tired. It happens, but let's try to remind ourselves and first change ourselves. Also, school should never be used to sound like a punishment. Instead, focus on all the fun things. The playground, coloring, friends, etc. Make your kid feel special going to school - not someone sent off for bad behavior. That will also help his enthusiasm to go to school.

Let's all try together !! Jia you!!

Back