Discrimination during pregnancy

Hi all,

My friend is currently 3 months pregnant and told her boss. However, her manager told her that the boss have the right to find a reason to fire her as she is pregnant and she is not a confirm staff. She has worked for 6 months but her manager told her that her probation has been extended.

Is that true? That when you are not a confirm staff, your boss can just anyhow find reasons to fire you?

Yes unfortunately since ur friend is not confirm staff, her boss can fire her anytime with immediate notice. As for maternity benefit, what i know is as long working more than 180 days they are entitle. But as ur friend is still not confirm yet and signing of confirmation, she had to check with mom if she is entitle of the maternity benefit.

Well, one of my friends had a same problem. Just sue them to death. If it doesn't help in the Singapore, try The European Court of Human Rights. Deeds like that needs to be punished.

In large I agree with you. Deeds like that really need to be punished. But it's not that simple, you know. I worked as an HR in the company which did the same stuff... Well, even if you want to fight this kind of discrimination in Singapore, you can't do it because we don't have effective laws against it. More than that, some companies don't even care about comfortable schedules, availability forms and other stuff that is extremely needed. I tried to create a normal schedule for employees on my previous job.

Last edited:

Back