Discipline in public

babyk2003

Hi mummies! I'm just wondering how other mummies discipline their kids when they misbehave in public?

I came across a mummy over the weekend while I was queuing up to get bubble tea. A mummy n her young daughter(around 3yrs old) were in front of me. Her daughter was holding a cup of biscuits n playing wif it instead of eating them. She ignored her mother's stern warning n In the end all the little biscuits scattered all over the floor. The mummy was bz ordering n didn't stop her in time before making a mess all over the floor. The mummy was so mad, she slapped her really hard on her wrist. The little girl had tears in her eyes. I thought she was going to cry but her mummy gave a stern look n said "U dare!" n the little girl jus stood there quiet.

But some bystanders gave the mummy disapproval look, some shaking their heads n some even went "aiyo!".
But to me, I was amazed how the mummy could stop her daughter from crying in public. My son is around the same age, he would have cried if I had done the same to him.

I asked myself wat I would do if this happens to me. Would any mummies like to share some of their experience as to how to discipline your child in public?

Do u discipline them on the spot or wait till u get hm?

i normally will give a stern look at DS and then tell him, i'll punish you later. SOmetimes i'll bring him to a corner of a mall and punish him, but he sure will end up crying. sometimes if i'm in a rush, i'll bring him home to punish

I wouldnt give a 3 pr old a whole bag of biscuits or candy in the first place, its asking for trouble.

I do what mrsngpk does. We started the time-out corner since DS was 10 months old. My family and friends find us too extreme and stern. But that helps now that he is 6 and a stern look/voice take cares of most situation whether in public or private.

If you worry about bystanders, bring him to a quiet corner or the nursery room if you are in a shopping mall. It also depends if the child is near nap/meal time = crankiness. If its near that time, I would save it for later to avoid tantrums in public.

Do not worry about bystanders, I stared back at them or shoo them if they actually say anyhting. We as parents knows our kids best.

i will compose myself. cannot act like a split fire in public. But i still scold or hit their hands if need be, those bystanders probaby doesn't have kids of their own. They will know one day when they have kids..

sometimes when i see mum scolding their child in public, i feel them. But there're some mum is really scolding LOUDLY..i cannot accept that though. There's a gap between screaming Loudly /madly vs Stern but get the message across.

Back