Cup cakes for birthday

Aiyoh dun argue la...sometimes moderators do come in to "inspect" threads and not so nice if we kana warning rite?

Cool cool....

JTS: Xmas Cookies i did for my hubby to bring to office
happy.gif

4848074.jpg

Hi Peng n LazyhomeBaker,

Thank you for the tips. Will try again this weekend using the methods suggested :)

Fingers crossed...hope will work this time round...

Cheers,
Sharon

Sharon, good luck!
happy.gif

Anyone got those icing recipe for cookies decoration (like the one Eliz made)?
I am looking for icing recipe that don't use raw egg white but will dry & keep well. Thanks in advance
happy.gif

Hi lazyhomebaker
I'm using Meringue Powder. Much easier.

Here's the recipe from Wilton:
• 3 tablespoons Meringue Powder
• 4 cups (about 1 lb.) icing sugar
• 6 tablespoons warm water
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.

instructions
Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer).
NOTE: Keep all utensils completely grease-free for proper icing consistency.
* For stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.
**When using large countertop mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.
Thinned Royal Icing: To thin for pouring, add 1 teaspoon water per cup of royal icing.
Use grease-free spoon or spatula to stir slowly. Add 1/2 teaspoon water at a time until you reach proper consistency

Eliz, thanks so much for the recipe!
happy.gif

Using meringue powder is safer than using raw egg white.

By the way, I couldn't find any Meringue Powder. Feel that it is difficult to find in Singapore. Can you let me know where to buy it?

Hi Eliz

Beautiful cookies. Haven't started on my cookies yet soo lazy, sigh!

Is egg white powder the same? I saw it at Sun Lik.

Sharon, lazyhomebaker, xie xie both of u.
happy.gif
happy.gif

lazyhome baker, I saw the powder at kallang and Sunlik both baking shops also have.

Eliz if never finish can keep?? or must throw away???

Sabby
Shd be the same but i was told by my gf that some kids might be allegic to egg white powder.

Maggie
Do you mean the royal icing? Can keep for awhile. Just store in airtight container.
If the water and powder separates, just mix them up again.

I went Phoon Huat asked about the meringue powder before but the staff asked me what is it. Faint! Maybe that branch too small, so don't carry.

Ladies, I don't buy any baking ingredient from Sunlik anymore after I heard that some of their pastes not so fresh. And I realized that they don't put expiry date for those decorative candies anymore. I am very particular on the expiry dates on the products.

Meringue powder
Tell the staff from wilton brand. They Usually put wilton stuff together. I got mine from PH. Clementi. Ph v messy, difficult to find correct sz cake pans, ask them, they say all there or dun hv

Lazyhomebaker, I nvr realised that. I buy alot of mint compound fr Sun Lik because hubby is mint fan.

But I reckon if turnover is fast usually freshness is not a problem.

juz to share this cartoon cake tat i made for my younger boy's 2nd b'day yesterday... my 1st time using fresh cream to frost the cake, as well as using buttercream transfer method to 'draw' cartoon

actually the cake a bit messy one coz the colour from elmo smudged on the fresh cream when i transport the pic on it, luckily managed to use m&m to cover a bit here & there, haha!

ok, wanna ask u ladies here... how to make the whipped cream to stay 'stiff'? i tried to keep in the fridge & only take out the moment i need to use but it 'melted' so fast, esp when i wan to use it to pipe flower, the print is not clear at all, tat's also why i use so many m&m to cover the top of each flower tat i piped... any solution?

4851237.jpg

Muffin, agreed with you. Somtimes when I ask PH staffs of something, they will just tell me everything are there. I only met a few nice staffs in PH. The rest are not helpful.

Jandew, maybe only those not so popular paste got problem. But I must say Sunlik bosses are very helpful.

Jess, very colourful & cute elmo cake. Not easy to draw the elmo. Very nice. I find that if use m&m, the colour will run on the cake. But your cake looks perfect!
happy.gif

Jess you use dairy or non dairy cream? I personally feel non dairy can be stiffer compared to dairy. If using dairy add some icing sugar to stiffen it up abit. However Singapore's weather is like that hard to maintain shape for long.

Lazyhomebaker,
Thanks... Ya u r rite, the m&m colour did run on the cake esp out fr the fridge for awhile... The pic u see is still nice coz juz freshly done, by the time we cut cake at nite, the colour already started to smudge...

Btw, I luv ur hello kitty... U said u using choc, how abt the red on the ribbon? Wat did u use?

Jandew, I also non-dairy cream, but also cant stay stiff for long...
sad.gif
do u also add sugar when beat e fresh cream?

Jess, I dyed the white chocolate with red colouring
happy.gif

Non-dairy cream is already sweetened cream. So don't need to add sugar. Weather is hot is singapore, so it will definitely turned soft after some time.
Need to be quick in your decoration.

Jess for me, I simply when it is stiff, I simply whip a bit longer. then put in piping bag and put it in fridge for abt 5mins to 30mins then start to pipe the flower. hope this helps
happy.gif

but I find it hard to add the chocolate rice by the sides though

JTS - Rainbow on dummy cake decorated during my wilton course class 2
Alot more to improve. Still can see so many "holes" between the stars.

4856794.jpg

lazyhomebaker
Love the Hello Kitty Chocolate and Roses. So pretty!!

JESS
Your elmo also very nice. Can share what is buttercream transfer?
I used piping gel for the image transfer of the rainbow cake.

Maggie,
Good tip! i should try to do tat next time when i used fresh cream again, thank ya!

As for adding choc rice on the side, wat i normally do is hold the whole cake on one hand & use another hand to pat choc rice gently on the side... but this time i use the card board tat same size as the cake, easier to hold the cake on cake board & won't accidentally break ur cake
happy.gif

eliz,
buttercream transfer is a method of transferring your art to your frosted cake.
I use buttercream to pipe image on wax/tracing paper, then freeze it for a while (to harden it) before transfer on my cake... u can find out more on http://sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm

eliz,
is wilton course worth signing up? i wanted to go for long but cannot coz need to look after my boys 7/24... actually u taking up juz for fun only, or u got intention to explore further into baking industry next time tats y u need a certified skill?

Jess

Thanks for sharing. So cool! I shall try it out one day.

I attend for fun although i do sell my bakes on and off. Got a fulltime job so cannot handle too many orders.

Actually i think can learn from online but i'm the type that likes to attend classes - see, do and practice.

At least now i can cream a cake decently and its just my 2nd class! hahaha.

I should be going for course 2
happy.gif

Back