Cooking Tips & Recipe

sorry..was busy today.

Annelise,

It's in traditional chinese, but the diagrams and pictures are fairly easy to comprehend.

Van,

Yup, that's the book and the only one i don't have! You getting any Hello Kitty books too?I am thinking whether to buy this book or wait for NLB to release it(i checked the book last night and it's in).Let you know by tomorrow.

Allocation of shipping cost to the proportion of book cost is okay with me...sounds fair..
happy.gif

Sophie,

Congrats!!

Hi everyone. Making kueh bangkit today. Just baked the flour - hoping to make the kueh when the girls take their nap this afternoon. Btw, I will post the pineapple tart pastry recipe in spmctr cos' it's my mum's friend's and it's not so nice if I put it in a public forum without asking her permission.

Hi Sophie, congrats! Hope you recover soon from your op and have a good and nourishing confinement! Looking fwd to seeing your little princess!

Hi Ambrosial, I guess I won't be getting the book, thanks! I bought a Chinese origami book from Popular and it took me forever to figure out all the symbols and words, so I guess I'll have to give it a miss
happy.gif

Hi Choc, my 2 are not vacc agst chicken pox also - hoping some of my immunity was passed to them cos' I had it in my mid-twenties, just b4 I got pg! Dunno whether it works tt way or not but they're terrified of needles, so will keep my fingers crossed that they don't come down with it! Besides making kueh bangkit today, I may bake peanut cookies, almond cookies and maybe sugee cookies next week. Tarts and kueh bangkit takes priority cos' I haven't been able to find nice ones commercially!

oops, gotta go - need to go drycleaner's b4 picking up the kids. Catch y'all later.

Hi Annelise

Thanks...I will check out the pineapple tart recipe that you posted later....How was your tart baking session...was it melt in the mouth type...

Sophie,
Congratulations. U must rest well and rest more.
happy.gif

Van,
Pls add me in for a copy of 'Vaccum Pot-Stewed Delicacies'

Choc,
How the jie jies and didi doing?

Pris,
Kai's very good at handicraft and reckon his teachers and friends will love the cookies he baked.
happy.gif

Van_G,
when are you closing, cause I am busy this few days so no time to decide on what I want (pai seh).

Hi Annelise

Your recipe looks interesting..You must be busy baking...

Van
Was looking at your dishes with xo sauce....wonder,the way to use it,is it the same as putting oyster sauce. XO sauce is a vegetarian sauce right?thanks

Annelise....I am also baking Kueh Bangkit this weekend. Have difficulty getting the pandan leaves (screwpine leaves) in the few asian supermarkets and grocery store near me, so tomorrow will probably need to travel further to get them.

question on kueh bangkit, i saw one recepi from U-magazine, need to fry the flour with pandan leave then leave it overnite before the next step, ie, mixed with santan, eggs etc..

why need to fry ? to make it dryer?
annelise your method is baking also same purpose?

Joy747,
XO sauce is not a vegetarian sauce, it has scallop and drid prawn in it.

LittleCat,
I tried baking kueh bankit many years ago I did fry the flour but I also do not know why. Anyone can enlighten us?

Nancy,
Probably will close before end of next week, cos I am also very busy with CNY stuff,and Annelise also said she can wait....Let me know whether you are getting any title.

Joy,
Nancy is right. XO sauce has lots of dried scallop in it and some hay bee,and the local version is a bit spicy.

mmmm...I won't say it's the same as putting oyster sauce.XO sauce is more "pang",and the Kou3 Gan3 is different.

LittleCat,
For Kueh Bangkit, it's frying the tapioca flour with pandan leaves at small fire,then leave to cool completely, not flour right?

Cookie,
OK.Noted. I hope you don't mind to wait till before end of next week for me to place the order?

RE: Kueh Bangkit
Alternative method of "frying" tapioca flour for Kueh Bangkik:

Line a large pyrex bowl with greaseproof paper, microwave the flour and pandan leaves(cut into small pieces) on high 1 min at a time for 5 times, stirring every minute.

Ambrosial,
I don't intend to get any Hello Kitty book.I am not good at crafts, also don't have the patience... :p

Frying the flour to make it very dry so that it will not turn mouldy easily as well as adding the panda flavour to it. And one more that I would not find the right word to explain.

I bake the tapioca flour in the oven though.

Here's some sharing of the recent made dishes

Garlic Stem with scallop
689641.jpg

Ginger, Garlic Sesame Chicken
689642.jpg

Black Pepper Chicken Tortillas Wrap
689643.jpg

Turkey Sandwich
689644.jpg

Seafood baby corn and snow peas
689645.jpg

Black Pepper Chicken with Capsicum
689646.jpg

Chicken Curry
689647.jpg

Noodle soup
689648.jpg

Chicken, Fishball and Dumpling Marcaroni - Kai
689649.jpg

Chicken, Fishball and Dumpling Marcaroni - Adult
689650.jpg

Egg using bear and rabbit mould
689651.jpg

Sophie,
Congrats! Post your gal's photos for us when u r ree ya?

Van,Littlecat and Annelise,
I've not tried making Kueh Bangkit before, but heard from my colleague that the dough dries out very fast. Is it true?

Annelise,
Look forward to your tart's recipe!

Pris,
Your dishes are really impressive! How did you make the eggs with design? Did u just press the mould against them? I'm sure any kids would be thrilled
happy.gif

Hi there

Here's how my kueh bangkit look like.

Before baking,
691111.jpg

After baking,
691112.jpg

Krisjoy, it is a mould where I place the hot egg in and soak in cold water for 10 minutes then remove.

Ambrosial, haahaa....must make the food appetitizing for the eaters haahaaa....

van
yes the recipe from U-magazine, use tapioca flour plus some sago flour and normal flour.
Too chim to follow :p

hey Pris, that's very cute!!! hehe the piglet kuih bangkit, i like!!

eh i like the egg with mould leh... haha if that can encourage my son to take egg i will buy any mould man!

yesterday went NTUC to buy the frozen big prawn $30, one box of big scallop $28+, 2 pack of cod fish (500g each) $13+, normal price is like $15+ & 1 newmoon abalone on offer $36+.
Stock up for next monday & tuesday.

Any good & easy and never fail recipe for cooking the big prawn, scallop ?

Another question, i am not going to bake the kueh bangkit, any advice which brand of kueh bangkit is the best? i tried the Bengawan Solo, they have 2 type, the Indonesia more coconut milk taste good. Any other brand?

Littlecat,
Thanks for your PM
happy.gif
I usually buy home-made cookies so not sure about those sold outside leh...Btw, I ordered the orange sugee cake from Bakerzin after reading about it in yesterday's papers. Intend to eat it for breakfast on CNY...

KrisJoy, Sugee is one of my favourite, no making this year.

Little Cat, look for the review on today some time back, they give the grading for the different brand of new year goods.

Steam the big prawn with garlic and egg. Very simple.

Scallop stir-fried and place in the centre of broccoli.

Remember to get some cooling teas, too, CNY goodies are rather heaty. I am going to the chinese medical shop to get some herbal tea to boil for all of us. We have been eating too much cookies.

These are the used for Sugee Cookies.
400g ghee (I used butter instead)
350g icing sugar
700g plain flour
100g full cream milk powder

Cannot make this as they do not have milk powder here.

Hi Pris,
Can I check if its possible to post Bak Kwa to States? Or any one can advice? Thinking of sending for a friend.

Nancy...Bak kwa cannot pass customs. I tried bringing some myself last year but they took them away. No meat stuff.

CNY pastries are okay but need to put for own consumption.

Pris,
Joy is right. When I learnt baking last year, my teacher also used her son's formula milk for the cookies and they taste good leh...just that it may be fattening for us ;p

Kris and Joy....over at Vancouver, there is no full cream formulae powder for children above 1 yr old

Ds is on fresh milk.

LittleCat,

I intend to get CNY groceries this friday, saturday and sunday, particularly sunday to capitalise on those discounts...hope i'm not too late loh:p

Hi Pris,
I just read from this forum that some of the mummies switched to fresh milk when their kids are 1 yr old cos formula contains too much added ingredients. What're your thoughts on this? Will it affect the necessary vitamins and minerals that they need?

Ambrosial,
U can try going to the CNY fair at Taka. I get to try most of the pineapples tarts and cookies there. Bought a bottle of cornflakes cookies from Raffles Plaza hotel at $22. Nice packaging but read last Sunday's papers that those from Cedele are good.

krisjoy, no problem, hope the info helps
happy.gif

joy747, wah similac milk powder to make cookies very expensive leh...

Ambrosial, haha smart! hopefully they still open hor :D

eh anyone know when bak-kwa price will drop back to normal? after CNY eve ?

pris, u give us the ingredient on sugee, how about method leh? paiseh need step by step lah..

question on angbao $$, how much you give normally?

Littlecat,
Not sure if the Bah Kwa prices will drop on eve itself. May not leh...

Re: Angpow
Do you mean friend's kids? Depends on how close u are with them. For me, closer ones I will give $10 and not so close ones will give $6...Same applies to relatives' children...

littlecat, ha....you're so cute and true that using similac for cookies very ex but might be yummy lor

Don't know why this year I'm crazy for pineapple tarts. Have finished one tin from prima and half big one from Don by myself. Although both are not those melt in the mouth type, but is nice too.

annlee,
I also bought that tarts from Don
happy.gif
Did u buy the open or closed up types? I bought the open ones this year and find them too sweet. Still prefer the closed types but they ran out of stock when I went there.

krisjoy, I bought those open types and also find it quite sweet compare to prima. Don't have the chance to try yi gou wei cos not going down to taka.
Actually I'm hesitating to try Don but the guy from Don told me I will not regett buying them, find them so so only.

krisjoy, hehe hoping it will drop lor.. normally buy the expensive one is for the auntie as gift. For own consumption, no point paying so much more.

thx for shaing the ang pao $$ thing. so normally how much u spend per year? just cuious...

annlee, cos my baby is taking similac, the cheapest source i purchased is $30.50 per can. Outside at least $31 or even $33.

eh u solid eat so much? i still try to tahan, first scare too heaty, 2nd really try to shed some weight.

One of my colleague saw me and say 'u haven't go back to your normal weight yet hor'?
Then another one, 'u put on weight hor'?

but i am so curious, u mean most of the people after confinement go back straight away back to normal weight? or best still even slimmer??
hello we are talking about putting on weight 9 months, u mean we only have 3 months deadline to get back to shape??

sigh..

littlecat, just ignore them, I know the bad feeling when they make those remarks. My neighour also suffer from verbal diahorrea hee... she told me that I slim down so much and says I look nicer right now, says when fat look more like auntie, faintz....

In fact I start to go on diet after my 9 mths of breastfeeding. I did not lose them immediately, is bad for health and might have stretch marks after that. It takes about a yr to go back to my normal weight.

About the tarts, me not heaty type and can eat 6-10 in one go hohoho....but now abit sianz liao and crave for kuay lepis

Hi all,
I'm back! Was discharged on Sun, but then too busy and tired to post anything till now.
Also having an itchy cough now, which makes my wound area hurt when I cough!

You girls are right about seeing baby for the first time - the feeling is just magical when she was put on my chest and opened her eye when I said hello to her
happy.gif

Am total breastfeeding now - so far so good, but like no engorgement feeling, so didn't start pumping any "reserves".
Still looking like I'm 6 weeks pregnant, so I hope the TBF will make my belly bulge go down faster!

Have just posted my little girl's pic on Yahoo Group
happy.gif

LittleCat,
Saw your ds2 pic - he is quite a big boy! Hee... I like his thighs, feel like biting his thighs!
happy.gif

Van,
Thanks for posting up my birth announcement!

OK, feeding time now... will try to come in more often, but my confinement hubby is threatening to tell my mum that I am not resting enough
wink.gif

Hi sophie,

Good to hear from you!! Better rest more lah...

Just seen your dd pic, notice she got pretty high nose and her hair is quite thick too.

Is good that you're TBF your dd, keep it up!

Sophie,
Thanks for the update. Will see your gal's pics in Yahoo
happy.gif

U are so lucky to TBF! I gave up after 2 days
sad.gif

annlee,
me not the heaty type too! I can eat a lot of cookies and titbits and bah kwa..hiak hiak!

Littlecat,
U are not alone! When I went back to work, my colleagues asked why my tummy still so big despite doing the malay massage. Initially I feel very hurt but after a while I get immune to it. I may take meal replacement drinks after CNY to lose some weight.

Back