Cooking Tips & Recipe

Featherstar,
Thanks for info on the pies. OK, think those I like are the English meat pie or shepherd pie type then
happy.gif

Actually, if I have the energy and am not so heaty, I think making pies over the weekend and freezing them for lunch over the week is a good idea.

cookie, annlee,
Thanks for licorice Chinese name. Just got it from NTUC today... no angmoh name on the pack, so good thing I recognise the Chinese character from here
happy.gif

Yeah, I also say forget about weight gain during pregnancy! Just eat, cos if you are going to bf, the weight will eventually come off, and the body needs the fats to make creamy milk!

cookie,
I think better skip Horlicks and switch to Milo?
Seems like all my friends who drink a lot of Milo during cf got a lot of milk leh
happy.gif

Or maybe it's just a coincidence.
Or it could be cos Milo is high in calcium so help milk ss.

annlee,
I have to resort to all these stuff, else I got no milk. I think you won't have ss problem lah, cos your milk can spray! And plus they say subsequent pregnancies got more ss, dunno issit true?

Oh, my mum read in some magazine a Taiwanese TCM said sweet potato leaf is good for milk ss too... not sure if can take this during cf, or kiasu a bit, take after.

Haha, then if you wanna know what the Indians take for milk ss, it's this leafy vege called drumstick leave. It looks like a fern with very tiny leaves. It's called drumstick cos the fruit looks like a drumstick... a bit like a gourd/very fat out of shape lady's finger type.
I fried the leaves with eggs before, but eeeks, I think I didn't cook the leave long enough, so my hubby said he felt like a cow eating it. As for the drumstick itself, I made a curry. Supposed to be good for bf cos it's very high in iron and calcium. Indians take it after pregnancy.

Joy,
I think bf has become more popular nowadays so got more resources lah. But the good thing about stopping bf is that you can wear dresses! *envy*
I haven't worn any dresses since Soph was born, cos cannot pull up my dress and bf outside
happy.gif

My style of dressing - 10 yrs ago were suits when working and shorts on weekends cos we're always doing some outdoor activity.
Now, sigh, just casual tops and shorts/denim skirts/capris.
Hee, you must be one yummy mummy, can wear halter neck dress!

Gig,
It's such a shame your workplace is not lactation friendly!
But seriously, I admire you girls who pump at work! I find it so tiresome to pump!
Hee, no letdown till my nips are sore, cos the machine doesn't look exactly like my baby
happy.gif

Choc,
Hope your dds get well soon!
Your ang anti-durian good leh, no one to fight over with. Hee, me and hubby always eyeing the last seed, but he'll always let me have it.
My throat is OK now. But dunno why my voice is nasal... even though I got no runny nose or anything.

Aiyoh, you're another one tempting me with nasi padang again!

The apple fig soup is good. When the TCM doc at Yu Guo saw my hub, he asked him to get his wife's lazy bum off the Internet and cook this soup, but asked him to add chuan bei powder cos it gets rids of phlegm and heatiness. But have to be sure that it's the heaty kind of cough.

Hi ladies,

so many posts, who's tat girl in halter dress ? *whistle*

dressing for me , same also denim skirts and t-shirt or bermuda on wkend. work wise , biz casual wear.

My son is down w fever today. he also got cough and flu. Went to the chinese shop recommended some chuan bei, orange peel , nan xing, Huai Shan cook with pork porridge to redum heatiness. Got to add salt otherwise he dislike the taste.

Huskie, can i hv the receipe for the apple fig soup , would like to reduce his phlegm too. tks ya

hey starry,

This is the one on apple fig soup:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/1999/wisdom/soup.html

But the one that really helped me and hubby's cough is given by the TCM at Yu Guo... style is a bit different... no pork but it has chuan bei powder. Must make sure his cough is really the heaty type, cos chuan bei is cooling one.

2 large or 3 medium red apples, peeled and quartered
10 large figs or 20 small figs
1 ROUNDED tablespoon (soup spoon type) nan xing
1 FLAT tablespoon (soup spoon type) bei xing
chuan bei powder about 2 rounded teaspoons
6-7 ricebowls water

~ Boil water and throw in all ingredients.... bring to high boiling point for awhile, then reduce to low fire and cook for 1 hr. Water would have reduced. Drink this trhoughout the day for whole family.

Hope your ds gets well soon! Lots of pple sick nowadays
sad.gif

starry, huskie
Halter cos weather hot what...Huskie, bf also can wear dress, those top that has a opening type....talking about durian....dont take too many, heaty le...i avoided it...

Twinkle
Pls give huan shan a miss now as during fever, its not good to give.Give it when your child is well.

BF
Huskie, you take so many different things to boost supply...well done. For me, just fish bone and papaya which stink like anything, was the most terrible soup I have ever taken.

Apple Fig soup
I used to make this for my boy quite often in the past but did not work very well for him, but most suited for my girl.....Bei he is better for my son.

pinkbunny,
No la...I'm not christian but when I was a child, like to go to the church with my classmate look see look see over there and went to the pastor office to talk to him hee...

Abt the prawn thingy, not to scare you, think different races got different kind of confinement cooking. Like Hakka, they use whole coconut to double boil with danggui. For me of course would not dare to try. But hor...as for the prawn, is my first time knowing can eat leh... maybe mine is c-sec cannot touch seafood. But then again, my SIL and fren thru natural birth dared not touch prawn, sotong, crab, esp my m'sia fren, she will not eat seafood except fish and black colour stuff for 3 months, very strict.

choc, my bb vey active during 2nd trim, now slow down abit but the punch is stronger that can wake me up.
your multigrain porriage looks good but must add pork ribs ,fish, chic drumstick, all 3 kind of meats? So it will taste lagi sweet sedap on porriage issit?

huskie,
No lah...my milk is also very little at the beginning, want to boost faster and hope to have more milk or extra to give to my 2 sons. Ha...if I really have that much, I sound like a cow liao. Also hope the herbs and tea bags will help.

I like sweet potatoes leave too, will eat that after confinement, thanks for ur infor!!

I have made apple fig soup before but taste sour, happen to urs also?

Joy,
you thinking of sending your boy to Holy grace Kindergarten?

I used to wear halter dress too...very easy dressing, no need to think what to match hor. But after giving birth never wear them anymore, I got flabby arms.

annlee
Maybe your fig,you have to buy the higher grade type.

No, never have the thought to send son to holy grace.

Anyone heard of chiltern house at east coast?

Oh yes, halter dress is so easy to wear, no need to think...now am wearing a sphagetti dress, so good, also no need to think...

Huskie
Where are you?I just back from yuguo....were you there.

Joy,
oh..didn't know there's grade for fig, normally the auntie will just give the when I ask for it. Will check from her again.

wah....you must be loaded with the dresses, I like them too...is look nice also.

pinkpunny,
you mean fenugreek?

Haha.. ann, sorry.. I mean the multi grain porridge can add either chicken or pork ribs or fish.. don't have these liao can add dried white baits.. i like to add peanuts or soy beans in, to have a crunchy texture to it.. ya.. also some diced carrots

Husk, joy,
thanks... all my 3 ok now.. had high fever for 3 days..now subsided.
Come to think of it, during our time, when we had fever, it's only panadol.. no brufen to bring down high fevers.. we just went under blanket and slept until sweat breaks out~

No one enjoying durian with me at home.. Must snatch then nice.. haha..

Today, cooking yam rice with broccoli

Joy,
I haven't gone Yu Guo this morning, cos part-time cleaning auntie was here, so better be around to orientate her since it's only 2nd week.
I may go this evening at 630pm, that is, if Soph is not overtired and cranky.
But I do find the tui na helps, and the bao bao pretty good too.

Hee, I cannot wear dress lah... you should see how clumsy I am when opening any slits/opening and fumbling with nursing bra! Wait show my nips to the whole world!
That time on discharge from hospital, because the nurses were too busy at nursery, I was waiting in there with my baby, then baby cried and I was wearing a dress... wah, I almost tore my dress wanting to bf her immed. Hee, when I pull the sides, can hear one "piack" sound. MIl was shocked and tried to cover me, and nurses quickly offered to draw the curtains. Haha, I didn't even bother about all the pple looking in from the window, just know my bb wants milk!
happy.gif

ann,
I think Joy is right about the figs... could be the grade of the figs. I bought mine from Hock Hua at $5 a big pack... so sweet that the ants always come after my soup!
And if you want it sweeter, use the dark red apples, not the fuji kind.

As for this Motherlove thing, yep, I took this together with Goat Rue at first. I bought them from TMC retail pharmacy... about $56 or $59 per bottle I think. Mrs Wong recommended them.
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/51524
If you take this More Milk Plus (MMP), no need to take Fenugreek caps hor, wait OD on Fenugreek. But tea is light cos of the dilution in fluid, so can take concurrently.
Ingredients in this MMP is similar to those nursing tea with fenugreek, nettle, fennel seeds etc, not just fenugreek itself.

When my ss stabilised, I then stopped Goat Rue (after finshing 1 bottle) and switched MMP (also finished 1 bottle) to Fenugreek pills cos cheaper at $27 (GNC) compared to MMP at close to $60.

Joy,
Yes, I've heard of Chiltern. My friend sends her kids to the branch at Turf City. They're the kindie of Julia Gabriel right?
I heard from my friend that it's good, but too expensive for me
happy.gif

huskie, joy,

tks for the tips. we just got back fm doctor this morning. his fever is due to sore throat as he cough too hard . I better try making the soup tmr.

today me work fm home again. so tough to work and taking care of him and cook at the same time. but at least i dun need to take leave otherwise not enough leave if this is frequent. At least the cc teacher is nice to call and chat w him.

Hmm.. wat is dinner tonight? i think i will made bee hoon soup for him and the adult will tabao. going out to run errand when hb is back later.

Who's cooking tonight?

Joy, u still so sexy now... sigh my size is double since afterbirth, so fat now , Ann right?

starry,
It's good that your company allows you to work from home!
Hope your ds recovers soon - I think flu bug going around now!

I'm cooking tonight - but vegetarian again cos after going vege for a day, my phlegm is greatly reduced today. So just making a chap chye.
Soph will just share my chap chye plus additional tofu and cranberry beans for her protein intake
happy.gif

No meat for her tonight till I'm sure her phlegm is fully cleared.

havent been logging in for a number of days n there are so many posts....

hmmm...havent been wearing dresses except when working cos its not to convenient esp having to carry e kids...scare later 'zou guang' ...haha...in e end can only t-shirt n bermuda/jeans... but wat concerns me most for not wearing is becos have put on quite a fair bit of weight after giving birth n its so tough to shed off those extra fats....

Im cooking tonite too...fried fish, steam egg with minced pork and stir fried long beams with shrimp chilli.....

huskie,

ya no more meat and seafood. I also banned ds.
WFH is ok lah no choice lah i think company prefer us to work then to take leave every now and then right?

Ivena,
*Welcome* I hv not welcome u yet. haha i also din login for a long while. I like long beans w shrimp chilli too . I bought shrimp chilli off the shelf or steal fm my mum's.

Twinkle starry

Think your boy situation is similar to my boy.He cough so hard that throat also red.Lucky you can work from home to take care of him....

Annlee
I paid 9 dollars for the big fig from states.

Cooking
Today cannot cook cos some more chillie dish, maid and hubby will all fall sick.

Ladies here

Hey, what is your typical day like?
I always make a point to get out of the house for two hours with my boy mid morning , so that my maid can clean the house.....

After four months, decided to change her schedule, cos she mop my second floor parque as and when she like as she thought I will never know. nOW, I just switched her schedule. Told her to do anything and everything she used to do when am not in, but leave the mopping of the parque when am home....

Asked her to remop, the pail of water is dirty...so god knows whether is she redoing or first time mopping it.....

I sound picky right...but there again, have given her two hours to clean the house and she usually finished it within 1.5 hours...and now I understand how she did it....

Joy,
I just went tui na this afternoon. Saw Huang yishi and she said when phlegmy cannot feed bai he, but told me can eat fresh huai shan.
Then I told her I stopped meat but give tofu, and she said tofu may be too liang, and ask me to give tau gua.
Hee, I think Soph understands her, cos normally she doesn't like tau kwa, but when I gave it to her during dinner, she ate them all up!

ann,
Hee, you wanna bf your 2 older boys too? Peifu you man! Hope your milk ss will be in adundance!
happy.gif

Huskie

Was it a long wait since you see huang yishi.I guess she prescribed the "HERB"as your gal condition.For my boy, all the heat herb is totally out....For beihe, he is having cough now, so its out also. I have been seeing her for the past four sessions in a week.

huskie,
haha...no lah...not gg to bf my 2 older boys. Was hoping to have extra so I can pump out to give it to them, don't think is so easy.

Check with you, so at the beginning I start of with MMP, goat rue and teabag. So when my ss is stabilised, then switch to teabag and fenugreek capsules. Am I right?

Yesterday went to Peach Garden for lunch when doing my check up. Their roast pork cube and steam yolk custard bun is nice. First time at that area, saw Wee Nam Kee chicken rice store, very crowded. Think only the vines and 2nd steamboat got customers ard, some of the restaurant or cafe is empty. There's one peranakan restaurant, anyone try there before?

Yesterday dinner cooked some vegetarian beehoon, not sure whether is the Thai brown rice bee hoon I bought or my skill, taste not so good. My elder son put lotsa tomato sauce to make it taste better and my hb complain too dry and I myself says is lousy kekeke...

Joy,
Quite obvious your maid just mop the floor not redoing leh, if not how come the water can be dirty??
Sometimes i try not to be ard and ask my maid to do all the cleaning, I find it this way she can do it faster but must be clean.

Joy,
It wasn't a long wait cos yesterday afternoon not many pple. There were even a few massage therapists who were catching up on their own reading.

She didn't prescribe oral herbs cos Soph is not really coughing, just a bit of phlegm which I can hear when she eats her meals. Hee, I am paranoid about even the slightest bit of phlegm! She just gave the bao bao to get rid of the balance of phlegm

ann,
Hee, I was wondering if the older kids still remember how to suckle or if they will bite!

As for the bf supplements/tea, yes, that's what I actually did, but you don't have to follow exactly. Some girls find MMP more effective than fenugreek and they prefer to take that continuously.
Also, not sure if you need goat's rue leh, cos if you have the basic supply, actually may not need it?
But the thing about spree is that must order early lah... so a bit difficult to plan.

And also, remember to drink lots of soup everyday!

I love Peach Garden! But I usually go to the one at Thomson Plaza. A bit expensive though. The chicken rice there is not bad too. Peranakan restaurant - think I tried once many years ago, quite good, but expensive. Not sure about now.
Hey, go to Square2 to try toe Hansang Korean restaurant!

Hi mums!

Today, making soup with ikan bilis, hairy marrow and minced pork.. To go with fried bee hoon..

Have you all heard and tried sakura brand fresh chicken sold in NTUC? Saw the sunday times life about the roast chicken article.. Says the chicken is fed with probiotics and not injected with hormones..

Hey twinkle.. now's the flu season.. haiz.. take care..

Re apple soup
I added honey dates and carrots to the apple soup, was sweet tho. The last time, I added too many apples, soup turned out sour..

ann, yah, agree with soph, drink more soups.. read that multi grain rice( wu gu mi) also promotes good supply of bm..
My arms also flabby
sad.gif
think got to swim to tone them..if not, can't wear sleeveless.. Anyway.. got a few months before christmas and chin new yr to shed unwanted fats.... heehee..

Husk,
my friend just made a batch of kimchi , gave me some.. very yummy . Think she added sesame oil, ginger juice, garlic besides the other ingredients.. She uses wa wa cai also, as it's sweeter..
What's cranberry beans? Is it the zhen zu dou?

Told my hb that I must go try the korean restaurant at sq 2.

wow ivena, i love long beans with shrimps too!Can add some tau kwa and tempeh in also..

huskie,
Thanks for ur infor! Have just order from the spree from LV. Very sianz...LV super long wait

I wanted to try Hansang Korean restaurant but my hb don't really fancy korea food only the kimchi and he don't take beef, do they serve pork?

choc,
For me difficult to slim down my arms, unless I'm super skinny. Anyway, I give up hope on my arms unless there's those special cream to slim down ha...in my dream...will also never try liposuction, so scary.
Hey, I'm thinking maybe is the apple that make the soup sour too cos I add alot of apples and little figs.

yess choc...have saw sakura chicken at NTUC, ya...no injection but chicken alittle expensive but still affordable. Was thinking of using it during my confinement, it will be very good using those chicken when making drip chicken essence hor...

twinkle,
you are not fat ok...you're just nice.

Hi all

twinkle

Thks for e welcome....
happy.gif

wah...seems like u all qutie familiar with the food outlets at Thomson area...n also are fans of Korean food...me working ard this area but have yet to try out the korean restaurant at sq 2...will go there one of these days during lunch then....

ann, good idea for using the sakura chicken during confinement! How much is it ? I haven't come across in NTUC.. wet market kampung chicken ranges around 9 to 15 bucks depending on the size..

Think better use non-hormonal meats during conf.. It's a special time for us to bu our bodies with extra nourishing food..

The friend of mine with breast cancer was diagnosed when she was still breast feeding her bb aft one yr.. It was cancer in a lump and she dismissed it as mastitis.. doc said the cancer actually started when she was expecting! yikes.. so scary hor !
Now thank God she's in remission..

hey ivena, I ve seen a little eatery at the corner of nov sq, selling some rice balls with liao inside.. have you tried it? The queue is ever so long..

It's a nice cool day and all my kids are zonked out.. the big one has done work half way thru and head lying on the table.. haha..

Choc,
Wow, sesame oil to kimchi? I've never seen that in all the kimchi recipes I come across. What is wa wa cai?

Sakura chicken - it's the only chicken I take. Started off at $6.90 when they first launched it. It's now $8.10.

yep, cranberry beans is zhen zhu dou.

annlee,
Yep, hansang serve pork. IN fact, their pork is pretty good.

Choc

Ive tried it...u can choose a few types of veg/meat to wrap as fillings in the rice...for the rice, they have diff types like brown rice, multigrain....u can order the one u like...if you undecisive abt e choice, they have have those std rice balls which u can order....

e queue is long cos they will wrap it on the spot after u order....

ya...cool weather to laze ard n sleep ...but too bad i need to work....haha...

choc,
ya lor...I'm thinking it too, since we are going to bu, better bu with the good and clean food.

Your friend diagnosed with breast cancer and bf aft one yr, does it affect the milk?

I'm not sure abt the price for the chicken, huskie give you the ans, I remember last week I saw them having promotion buying chicken with their egg cost abt $9+. normal price for the egg is $3+.

huskie,
How is sakura chicken compare to normal chicken? I mean the meat is it tough or normal?

Hansang serve pork, oh good...will try to ask my hb to go there hee...

Ivena,
yep...is good to sleep hee...just woke up before my boys is back from school.

Husk, ya haha.. my friend "improvised" the kimchi.. added some fish sauce too.. Was very crunchy. wa wa cai is the smaller version of the big chinese cabbage.. 3 in a pack, small ones.. think ntuc has them in the chiller together with the mushrooms

ann, my friend bf till she was diagnosed.. so got to stop half way thru. Think the milk is affected too
sad.gif
all started from a 50 cent size lump. It's cancer inside the lump..but somehow it spread to armpits..real sad..

ivena, woah.. the rice balls sounds good.. thought the queue died off aft so many years..

choc,
I have these small round lump thingy at my armpit area. It came out during my 2nd preggie and goes off after I delivered. It came back during this preggy again so I presume it will go off after I deliver. Do you notice anything ard armpit area?

So how is your friend now?

annlee,
Sakura chicken is nice... my hubby finds it sweeter, and I find it more tender.

Those lumps you have... is it like a piece of pin-sized skin thing? I had those... but think they're called skintags.

Choc,
Your friend's case is so sad. How many kids does she have?
I heard if remission for 5 yrs, then after that is considered safe.

I just found out my grandma has stomach cancer **sob sob**
Think doc told my uncle that it's not worth going for chemo cos she is so old and probably cannot take the impact of chemo.
Doc gave her 3 mths to live without chemo and 5-6mths if with chemo.

oh girls,
FYI, I used to think kaampung chicken doesn't take injections, but the uncle at the market told me they do.

huskie,
oh no...you mentioned abt ur grandma few times before, think you're v close to her, haiz...life is short.

Abt the lump thingy, what do you mean by pin size? I can feel it inside the armpit, half the size of a marble, firm, 2 or 3 in both side and like what you say skin tag, like stick on the skin. Same as yours?

oh...sakura chicken is sweet and tender, think I shld switch to it, pay just a little more to get healthier why not hor..
Remember I told you I can't get female chicken in my market, I ask the seller he told me hen difficult to get but I got it from NTUC, it taste better, more tender than male one but now will switch to sakura chicken, hope can find female one also
I heard abt the kampong chicken too from my massage lady long ago, in that case then sakura is a safe choice
happy.gif

ann,
Oh no, my skin tag is like a piece of extra skin but lumpy one. Think yours is lump, but probably milk ducts filling up since it disappears after pregnancy? Cos the LC once told me the milk ducts run along the part near armpits. Or can ask your gynae next time.

Think you better not eat the goat rue first leh, in case get overproduction of milk?
Oversupply also got headache... all the engorgements etc, see my SIL also very cham.
If your ss is good with enough rest and soup, then just sell off the goat's rue lah.

Hey, how to tell if my Sakura chicken is female? But come to think of it, for normal chickens, I wouldn't want a hen cos hen probably get injected with some growth hormone so they can produce more eggs right? Like that worse than eating the testosterone in rooster leh.

Yeah, I was quite close to my grandma. Going to see her this Sunday. I haven't seen her since CNY cos so caught up with my own life and baby and both always sick... now feel guilty.
Yep, life is so short - sometimes I feel so depressed just thinking about the life cycle of birth and death, and wonder why have to go through all this.

Chocs, i tried the rice ball at Sq2 b4. ok lah i find the 'ball' too big for me and very filling. Maybe i choose the all grain one. To maxmise the value of $ , i put almost every ingredient in it.

I would say the taste depending on individual. The taste and flavour not rich and it is quite healthy.

Ann, aiyo i think u see quite sometime liao. i now put on even more weight since DS start eating normal meals like us. I always ate his balance meal when we dine out plus my own portion.

Huskie,
so sad to hear abt yr grandma. I believe she njoy her life and now already so old liao chemo could be a strain on her. Thinking of life can be very depressing. I already tried not to think abt it long time liao and try to live to the fullest. I know easily said than action.
Btw, I dun know why i still cannot get use to yr nick 'Huskie' I keep typing yrs as 'sophie'

Husk,
your granny's case was same as mine 10 yrs ago. Grandma was also diagnosed with stomach cancer. Given about 5 months to live, but she passed on aft 3 months without chemo.. Stayed in hospice before coming home...

yah.. life's short.. have one 92 yr old grandma and i also didnt visit her as frequently.. got to go catch up with her too..

My friend's 37 this yr.. diagnosed 2 yrs ago.. she has 3 kids

ann,
think the breast area and armpit will be lumpy now that we are pg..the lumps are inside the skin..smaller than peanut size. When bf, there'll be lumps also.. but just be sure that the bf lumps become smaller and smaller and eventually disappear. I had mastitis( infected milk lumps) during my 2nd and 3rd birth.. was real painful.had to ask the massage lady to help me rid the lumps and it helped..

Maybe for your next visit, ask the gyn to help you check for lumps? I had a pap smear and breast check done by a gp b4 that.. sometimes, scared i can't feel the lump..

My friend's lump didn't subside during bf.. in fact, it was same 50 cents coin for about a yr, then she decided to have it checked..
It was found to have 2-3 smaller ones( can't feel at all, also cancerous), whole br was removed.. cos doc said the br was unhealthy even if the cancer was contained in the lumps..

She was on chemo for about 2 yrs, then recently doc cleared her from cancer.. Got to wait for the window period of 5 yrs..
Many cases I have read seemed to prove that cancer is much more aggressive when one is younger.. scary..

hey twinkle,
The rice ball sounds like a healthy quick meal !

eh, I used to be the dustbin for my children.. eat their leftovers..until full full.. So nowadays, when eat out, 2 dds will share a portion, ds and i share one.. heehee.. or else, dd1 a portion, dd2 and ds one portion.. I one portion, left overs , hb will sapu!

Husk, thanks for the research on the kampung chicken.. hee.. i think I'll settle for sakura chicken during confinement. What about black chicken, you think they are also injected?

annlee,

Oops! I thot u were talking about bags
happy.gif
My mistake.

I had a lump also, right armpit. Discovered during later part of pregnancy. After delivery still there. Doc said to monitor.He thinks it is nothing serious but in case it increases in size let him know. Luckily it reduced after a few months and now I cannot feel it already. Doc said prob the milk ducts.

Thanks to all mummies for the welcome.
This thread is moving so fast! I barely have time to catch up.

Found a nice website with lots of recipes. Dunno if posted before but here it is www.allrecipes.com

huskie,
For my armpit lumps, was thinking of asking gynae, going to ask him when sees him, the reason I paisay to ask is that my armpits turned brown colour although it goes away after delivery but now i don't care liao...

My maid told me to tell whether is a hen by looking at the top of the chicken head thingy but dunno what is that call. If is long then is a male chicken and if is short, is a hen. She will get it for me, I still don't really know how to chose.

Yesterday finally bought my first sakura chicken, going to use it to make my herbal soup tmr.

Elmo,
you have the lumps too...mine goes off after delivery so will check it out with doc to see what he says.

Never seen sakura chicken at cold storage bugis before, not sure abt other outlet. If can, you shld get it from NTUC cos normally cold storage stuffs are more ex.

Twinkle,
I try not to eat my boys left over food. Will just order enough or he will share with me. Sometimes it will help to cut down the calories if I don't eat too much kekeke...

choc,
cancer is much more aggressive when one is younger...very scary leh...we're still young, thought the younger shld be able to fight against or heal it even faster??

My neighbour downstair cooking pig trotter vinegar I think, the smells quite good when passing by their home. Thinking of making that but I ren cos having that soon hee...

huskie,
you're right....I shld have think of that earlier that hen injected more hormones to produce more egg, aiyo...luckily only recently I found the hen in NTUC.
I also want to know, any idea if black chicken injected?

oh yes... you mention organic marmite before, what is that call again? I can't find in my area, that lady told me there's one taste like marmite, make of bamboo stuff. I didn't buy it yet, need to confirm with you first.

Today having vegatarian brown rice. Dinner stir fry chicken fillet and chicken liver (this shld be the last time having chicken liver, so many horrible hormones injction to chicken) with sesame oil with king oyster again and soem vegetables.

ann
ah fenugreek. i have liao
happy.gif
mummies, this is good: http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg i think it's trying to tell me 'pinkbunny, please try to latch poppy on more, to increase your supply, and pump more frequently, don't be lazy' :| i'm not lazy, just so tired la!!!

huskie
sorry to hear of your grandma. i lost mine about 15 years ago to cancer too; we were very close. cherish her while you can

re cooking
oh mummies i miss chilli! been avoiding cos don't want to give poppy stomach upset :S the other day i drank one cup of coffee (my like 5th in the past 10 months!!!!) then pumped milk then i think, maybe i was being paranoid, but i think poppy coulnd't really sleep well after hhehe

it is so. hot.today.

hello from poppy! (ann, what will you say now.... angmoh ears? hehe)

1589980.jpg

and whenever i feel lousy, i will look at this pic. makes me feel like a good mother haha
1589981.jpg

Hey pbuuny,
Poppy looks more and more adorable each time you post! Eh.. you are a good mother .. went thru so long a labour and so determined to breastfeed.. Jia You!

Very nice shot of you and poppy... so wen1 xin1 and loving
happy.gif

I remembered for my first one.. nips bled when bf( until got blood on bb's lips), episiotomy pain.. got to grit teeth to bf bb.. very kang kor... I almost couldn't survive the first 2 weeks!

My mum stops me from eating chilli when I bf too.. she says when bb pang sia, backside will be red
proud.gif

Hey elmo, i like allrecipe.com too
happy.gif

yah.. must monitor the lump..friend was so busy that she ignored the lump..

hey ann, my neck and armpits also got black black lines leh..
sad.gif
can't clean off.. Think must do a body scrub aft delivery!

re pigs trotters:
I love it too. Mil loves to soak the eggs in the vinegar till very hard. Reason being the vinegar will get into the eggs, and hence more bu.
Friend's mother will blanch the trotters, wash them in chinese wine.. and really, her pig trotters tasted different, very nice..

Re sheng hua tang,
MIL told me yesterday that it might cause bb's jaundice, if bf.. cos, the herbs have yellow colouring..

Today, eating mee tai mak soup for lunch..

HEY COOKIE, COOKIE, have you popped ?

Joy,
How's the birthday party? Yr children must have enjoy lots. ;)
Think its all the same. No. 1 we will be so overly kanchiong... but for subsequent ones we will tend to be more relax.
Think u are doing a great job. Don't worry abt yr boy.
happy.gif

Ann,
u also not alone. I kept thinking how will it be like this time round.
The boy was water bag leak while i was getting ready to go work, abt 37weeks then.
called gynae then he asked us to go hospital. On the way i still went mcdonalds for big breakfast+large coke. cos thinking no soft drinks for a month.
then before reaching hospital, felt gushes of water.. think water bag broke.

Got the gymboree, baby can read, wheels on the bus, leapfrog phonics dvd. but my boy only wants the wheel on the bus. Thinking of ways to try make him watch the others.

Pinkbunny,
for the bbq chicken wings, my mum says to only put honey only when the wings abt to cook.
So will taste nice (sweet) and will not have the char ta colour.

The photo of u and poppy so sweet and loving.
happy.gif

her eyes really big and alert leh.

Giggler,
gynae gave me a week mc to rest and try to make baby bigger.
then eating durian even for dinner sometimes and drinking lots of meiji milk now. Don't dare to stand on weighting scale anymore.
and there was once i even ate chao kuey tiao for breakfast.
the baby must really grow bigger, otherwise come out must whack buttock.

Choc,
I am here, not yet pop!
still trying to make baby gain more weight.

Agree with u, durian mst snatch then taste nicer.
Infact, snatching makes the food taste nicer in general.

The children better now?
Think the weather is hot. Must give more fluid. heee... and of cos the 2 jie jie and jie jie sure will help themselves to more vit c.

am trying to sleep and eat only. but still need to work fm home and also when the boy is at home, will need to entertain him as well.
guilty that he will not have undivided attention soon.
how did u overcome this when u had no.2?

coffee will make baby smaller? i am drinking it almost daily. this baby don't like coke or soft drinks. always craving for coffee, not even tea.hahaha... when the little one arives, will quickly sms u to let u know.
ya hor... can u send yr mobile no to me via email. so can sms u.

this baby not kicking as much as the boy. infact making me worried at times, especially when busy at work. will forget to monitor the movement also.
hmmm... or maybe the baby is very small in size, so cannot feel so much movement. so maybe my tummy fats getting thicker. ;)
previously the jie jies and gor gor also very active?

Thanks for the tips on sakura chicken. Better use this for our confinement.
My colleague says when she went for her mammogram a few years back, she found some small lumps in her breast. the doctor ask her to stay off chicken for a while and after that she went back to check again, the small lumps reduced.

Can check with u the sop sup pills.. how many to take? and how to eat them. went fu hua, the sales staff says must boil with black chicken for 2 hours. Then on the instructions it says to get melt in warm water then drink or suck in the mouth.
Then for the info on sheng hua tang, have got to watch out for if baby is jaundice then.

Huskie,
On the tiger thermal pot. I had the same problem of some rusty liquid on the side of the pot whenever after wash and over turn the pot to dry.
So called up the tiger rep office and they advise not to overturn the inner pot to dry. Must let it stand upright. So after they instructions, do not have the problem anymore.

hahaha... i like it when u said need body fats to make creamy milk.
my milk sure ultra creamy.
Where can we get the drumstick leaves?

Sorry to hear abt yr grandmother.
try to spend a bit more time with her. and let soph know more abt her wonderful great grandmother.
u need to cheer up and then yr grandmother will feel better when she sees u.

thanks for the info that kampung chicken also take injections. like the rest, wondering if black chicken takes injections too.

Twinkle,
Hope yr boy feeling better now.

Ladies,
In the confinement recipe books, it states rice wine and yellow wine.
Can enlighten me what's the difference between the 2 and where to get them.
Think i saw rice wine in NTUC, but which type to buy?

cookie,
ha...you're thinking of mcdonalds for big breakfast after your water bag burst, sounds good idea huh... their new sausage muffin also not bad, i can eat 2 you know hee.. and thinking whether can I have my last meal before reaching hospital if water bag burst cos mine is thru c-sec cannot have food for few hours before op and no food after op for 1 day and don't want to get hungry.

Check with you, wheels on the bus for how old and is it educational DVD or cartoon?

We still got abt 2 more weeks to go...maybe urs shld be earlier right?

Abt the yellow wine, is it make from ginger? cos I read and fren told me that yellow ginger wine is better than rice wine but be careful not to take if bb got jaundice. In sg difficult to get yellow ginger wine. My ex CL told me can also use those rice wine from NTUC but is different from those red glutinous rice, use them if can't get those glutinous rice wine. My MIL make those wine for me, last time I bought from one lady but but regretted cos not so good and dunno whether the process is clean or not.

choc,
wash trotters with vinegar, thanks for the infor! Will let my CL know abt this
happy.gif

Talking abt egg soak in vinegar, my sister told me recently abt it, she's doing it now and the egg shell will melt during the process. She told me alot of benefit eating those egg but I'm pregnant now so can't take those and tell her to let me know again when I can eat it hee...

pinkbunny,
hahaha... no lah...can't tell now cos poppy everything open kekeke...she got nice big eyes.

Hey cookie,

Thought you popped!
Thanks, my kids better now. Went for swimming lessons with them just now..
Can see their lips very red during fever.. They made so much noise when I asked them to drink water! Bo pian!

Yah,, get what you mean.. when no. 2 came out.. I tried to spend more time with no.1 , like reading on the bed while bfing..deliberately play with her more. But dunno why, she got lots of phiacking during that time... haha.. my hb says she 's jealous and in her terrible twos.. Also, she bit bb's finger when no one was looking..

My dd1 had to be poked in order to move, dd 2 movement ok.. ds1 moved so much everyday, that I scared he'll be entangled with the cords! And this dd3 is the worst..
lol.gif
moves so much, day and night, sitting or sleeping! Must be seeking for attention..

So if bb's not moving, maybe you can sayang your tummy a bit..
Soh hup pills, I got from fu hua also.. the lady says once per day.. haven't read the instructions in the box yet..

Was also finding out more about the rice wine and yellow wine.. Is it because of the red yeast in rice wine?
Some aunties swear by certain dates to make wine.. the cooler the weather, apparently the sweeter the wine.
K, will pm you my hph no. soon..

Ann, my mil will soak the eggs without the shells.. the eggs are really hard, can play ping pong..
Friend's mum washed the trotters in rice wine, not vinegar. hee.. first time I heard about this.. thought a bit wasteful to use wine leh..

Ann and cookie,
wow.. agree with you.. eat good good before delivery!
Told myself better eat a good big meal when i'm a little dilated this time.. and wait till fully dilated then admit.. dunno whether can make it or not.. pbunny mentioned about going to red star for dim sum.. that's an excellent idea!

The sakura chicken, I am very interested to try. But do they only sell the whole chicken or they sell parts too? Also, is it in a whole unchopped chicken? I dont really know how to chop up the chicken!

hey girls,
Hee, OK, next time I go wet market, I'll ask the chicken uncle if black chicken takes injection... but sure kenna scolding from him!
happy.gif

And thanks for all the consolation and advice on my grandma. I'm still trying to come to terms with it, hoping she can live the rest of her days without pain. Quite close to her when young... I remember sleeping with her when I was 5 yrs old and then I'll keep touching her to make sure she was still breathing and have not left me!

Re. dates to make rice wine, yes, my grandma prefers to make it during year end, cos cooler weather will not ferment so quickly, hence sweeter and not sour.

elmo,
Don't think Cold Storage carries Sakura chicken yet... think NTUC is the sole distributor so far.

annlee,
No need to be paiseh lah - I'm sure the gynae has seen worst stuff like piles and all!

Hey, you also have about 2 more weeks to go only? Must also inform one of us once you have delivered and recovered!!!

Re. organic marmite - it's called nutritional yeast... in powder form.

pbunny,
Yep, that's a good website. I also called the BF support Group helpline all the time... they give very good advice and are very supportive.

Choc,
The eggs in pig trotter vinegar - do you soak it with the shells in it? I heard that doing it with shell is better cos vinegar dissolves the shells so the calcium gets into the gravy and therefore is better for the mommy.
I heard the Hokkiens prepare their pig trotter vinegar 30 days before delivery day so that the vinegar can dissolve the trotter bones for calcium too... any Hokkiens here who can verify if it's true? If so, I may wanna do that next time!

cookie,
Rest well during your week's m/c!
But yes, I agree it's really hard to work from home and give #1 attention and having to rest at the same time!

Thanks for info on thermal pot. Will try that.

Interesting that your friend's doc told her not to eat chicken and the lump reduced... I think it must be the hormones!

Drumstick leaves: I got from a stall at my wet market which sells a good variety of veges inclu zucchinis. If you cannot get from your wet market, then prob Little India.
It looks like this, and this was the recipe I tried!
http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2005/10/drumstick-leaves-fried-with-eggs.html

Featherstar,
They sell only in whole chicken. But most NTUCs have a fish section where your choose and they clean the fish for you? You can pay for the chicken, then bring the chicken and receipt to this section then ask them to chop for you. But priority is of course given to cleaning fish, so may have to wait awhile. I try to go during offpeak periods like first thing in the morning when NTUC opens.

mummies
quick question - any of you know where they sell only crab claws? not the whole crab...

more later. now i hear a little baby waking up
happy.gif

morning all

seems like a lot of talk abt sakura chicken now...jus saw in e papers today got one stall at lau pa sat think is selling chicken rice using sakura chicken.....

i like pig trotter vinegar....but for mine dialect grp, we are not suppose to have it during confinement period cos e elderly say vinegar will dissolve e calcium in our bones...n cause e bones to be weak....

pb

i ever buy e frozen crab claws from cold storage n giant.

huskie,
you are good man... know all the bf stuffs... show my maid whether she knows abt drumstick leave you provided and she shout yes yes...she eat it after delivery, and she really got a lot of susu. She normally use that to make soup, stir fry or boil it and drink it. I think I saw it at shengsiong and little India before. My maid saw it at little India too

Pinkbunny,
I bought crab claws from Tekka market before, very big claws but taste not as good as the live one. Hey... don't tell me you wanna eat it for confinement.

hey gals!

Husk, don't be too grieved about your granny.. your experience so similar to mine.. was very close to grandma too..cos we stayed together.

Maybe what you can do is boil some soup for her.. just to bu qi.. can ask the chin med hall what she can take..heard that dang shen is good, but dunno if it's heaty..

Is the drumstick leaves nice with egg? Thought these leaves look familiar..
Read from conf cook book another kind of leaves to fry with egg is the Ai1 ye4.. it's one of the herbs for confinement bathing.. It's able to expel wind in the body

My mil only soaks the eggs without shells. Haven't tried soaking the eggs with shells, dunno how it taste. Friend also told me about preparing the pigs trotters a month bef birth.. apparently, the vinegar can emulsify the fats and so leaving the collagen which is good for our joints

Hey featherstar,
yah.. I hate to chop chicken too.
I like to use the ikea scissors, it's real sharp and good, only 1.90. you can use that to cut the chicken . Haven't see it in chopped parts and cold storage..

Ivena, what's your dialect gp ? My conf food is chap pa lang..
so I'm reading conf cook book to see what the real authentic conf food is.. some believe in cleansing the womb aft delivery, so not much bu, then what one should eat aft 7 days, 14 days and 21 days..

Crab claws:
Saw them in sheng shiong before.. but maybe more during cny..

Back