Cervix Incompetence

Colourfulapple

Hello ladies. Would to hear from those that were diagnosed with cervix incompetence (CI). How did the doctor diagnosed it? Were there symptoms of CI? Would a shorten cervix be seen during detailed scan? Thank you.

My story:
Lost my baby at 22 weeks. It was my first pregnancy and my doctor diagnosis was cervix incompetence. I was 20 weeks when I felt constipated and cramp, then spotting. Went to the doctor right away and I had dilated 1 cm. She said my water bag had gone down too. She admitted me and me some medicines to stop contraction. She informed that would try to do cerclage when the womb has relaxed. The next morning they brought me to surgery. But found out that I was fully dilated and could not stitch, and the water bag was leaking. It all happened at TMC. Doctor told me that baby chance of survival is low. According to doctors, they would only consider baby viable at 24 weeks. Even so, it was highly unlikely that baby will survive. Baby’s heartbeat was still strong and movements were still frequent.

After a week, decided to transfer to SGH because they have higher level of neonatal ICU. We still had hope as the doctor at SGH accepted us. However, upon transfer, he told me that there was no chance. Stayed a week in SGH before the baby decided to go. The SGH doctor said my condition not considered CI. But he cannot say what causes it. He did recommend cerclage for next pregnancy.

Sorry for your loss. I'm currently diagnosed with cervical incompetence as well and awaiting formal doctor memo.

My understanding based on experience from others in group chat is that cervical length is not typically checked during detailed scan. For my case, I started having brown discharge and went to KKH UOGC. My gynae then arranged for me to see him and during that week 18 appointment, he decided to scan for cervical length and warded me immediately for short cervical length after the scan. They kept me under observation for 5 days and on the 5th day, the scan showed that I had dilated 1cm. Rescue cerclage was done on week 19 and I have been on modified bedrest in and out of hospital now at 23 weeks, 1 more week to viability.

Prior to this, I had no trimester 2 loss which I understand is a requirement for a diagnosis of IC. However since I will require a preventive cerclage for future pregnancies, my gynae told me that it can be diagnosed as IC. Perhaps you may like to seek second opinion on your diagnosis?

Sorry for your loss. I'm currently diagnosed with cervical incompetence as well and awaiting formal doctor memo.

My understanding based on experience from others in group chat is that cervical length is not typically checked during detailed scan. For my case, I started having brown discharge and went to KKH UOGC. My gynae then arranged for me to see him and during that week 18 appointment, he decided to scan for cervical length and warded me immediately for short cervical length after the scan. They kept me under observation for 5 days and on the 5th day, the scan showed that I had dilated 1cm. Rescue cerclage was done on week 19 and I have been on modified bedrest in and out of hospital now at 23 weeks, 1 more week to viability.

Prior to this, I had no trimester 2 loss which I understand is a requirement for a diagnosis of IC. However since I will require a preventive cerclage for future pregnancies, my gynae told me that it can be diagnosed as IC. Perhaps you may like to seek second opinion on your diagnosis?

Thank you for sharing. I read of some cases where the cervical shortening was found during the detailed scan that is why I am asking how everyone found out about their CI.

Does this mean it is not your first pregnancy?

Yeah, since mine is 2nd trimester loss. Both gynae commonly classify it under CI. Though one of them said that mine is not really CI because I had contractions.
May I know which gynae are you seeing?

Please take care and hang in there. Hope everything will go well for you. Stay positive.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for sharing. I read of some cases where the cervical shortening was found during the detailed scan that is why I am asking how everyone found out about their CI.

Does this mean it is not your first pregnancy?

Yeah, since mine is 2nd trimester loss. Both gynae commonly classify it under CI. Though one of them said that mine is not really CI because I had contractions.
May I know which gynae are you seeing?

Please take care and hang in there. Hope everything will go well for you. Stay positive.

Thank you very much.

It's my first pregnancy that progressed to tri 2. Previous losses were all in tri 1. My condition is classified under high risk pregnancy which is managed by another team in KKH. My gynae is Chua Ka-hee.

It's my first pregnancy that progressed to tri 2. Previous losses were all in tri 1. My condition is classified under high risk pregnancy which is managed by another team in KKH. My gynae is Chua Ka-hee.
Hi ,
Did u did a cerclage?

Hi,
Did you manage to bring your baby to full term?

Hi there,

Against all odds I delivered my baby at 37 weeks, which is considered full term. The cerclage held all the way till 36 weeks when it was removed. My gynae wasn't taking any further risks considering and scheduled for an induction once I hit the 37 week milestone. This concludes a journey that left me on bed rest since the start of second trimester. I consider myself really lucky that the cerclage held, considering that this was a rescue cerclage and I was funneled to the stitch even as early as week 23.

Hi, I once was on this forum because I lost three pregnancies, one due to suspected incompetent cervix and another one with a failed vaginal cerclage. I told myself that if I ever gave birth successfully and at full term I would come back here to share what I know with others with this condition. I m now nursing my nine month old baby as I type this and I am 40. Pls DM me if you need to chat. I did do a more drastic cerclage to get to this today. :)

Reactions: QLW
Hi all, I am diagnosed with cervical stenosis due to cone biopsy. Currently doing ivf (1 failed FET) & I am 40. May I ask if your children are conceived naturally? I'm unsure if the condition will affect embryo implantation?

Hi, may I know how is Dr Chua Ka her as your gynae ?

Back