Cambridge Child Development Centre

I have visited Cambridge at Admiral Hill . Thinking to enrol my boy to toddler class. They have lunch time at 10.30am which I think is too early. Besides that, the first thing to do after breakfast is outdoor time which I think it should be utilized as learning time as the children still fresh. There are two times milk time for toddler. This is the only cc has twice milk time. I have addressed my concern to principal but she mentioned this is schedule is working very fine. I like all the English teachers r local and most of the teachers has been with center at least 3 years. Quite dilemma now. Not sure to put my boy into Carpe Diem, Patschool or Mindchamps. Pls share with me.

Dear Fermum,
I have 2 boys in Cambridge AdmiralHill since Jan this yr. As a primary sch teacher myself n a fussy parent, I am very happy that my boys are well-taken care by the caring teachers.
The teacher with a little tattoo on the hand is my 2nd son's Toddler Class teacher. Her genuine love and rapport with the kids outweigh that old tattoo of hers.
I have actually did some parent volunteering there and witnessed the engaging activities that were carried out.
To summarise, my husband and I like the mangement, curriculum and enrichment activities so far. We are very impressed with the new website and relieved to see the safety measures taken (in times of HFMD & chicken pox)for the welfare of our kids.
Sometimes, misunderstanding happens when we are at the wrong place the wrong time. To date, I have recommended this childcare (value for $) to many of my friends and neighbours. It is very unfortunate that you don't share the same sentiments. Hope you are able to find your "ideal" childcare soon!

I'm considering Cambridge at Admiral Hill for my boy. Can you share with me the school curriculum? Is it good and sufficient? Do u still send ur child to academic enrichment class like I can read? Or the reading and writing program from the school is enough? How is the teacher? Appreciate u can share with me more. I'm so dilemma in looking the right cc. Thanks

Does anyone have any recent review on Cambridge CDC at Mei Hwan? They recently held their Open House on 3rd October and turnout was quite high. I was at the Open House and was quite impressed with the vast play areas as well as their curriculum, which makes good use of technology as a teaching tool. (bringing what cannot be observed into the classroom) I have registered my child for the N2 class but yet to pay the commitment fees which is quite ex (one month's school fees) and non-refundable. Hence, would really like to hear from any parents here who has had experience with the centre before I part with my money! Any feedback from parents who have experience with this centre is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

my eldest who is in P1 now was from there from toddler time to K2. 2nd girl was there from toddler time till N1. Thereafter we shifted and have to change cc for 2nd girl and 3rd. I must say its a very good CC! My girl is well prepared for pri. Teachers and owners are great! Even the cooking auntie have been there for long time and prepare drinks like barley for them.

my eldest who is in P1 now was from there from toddler time to K2. 2nd girl was there from toddler time till N1. Thereafter we shifted and have to change cc for 2nd girl and 3rd. I must say its a very good CC! My girl is well prepared for pri. Teachers and owners are great! Even the cooking auntie have been there for long time and prepare drinks like barley for them.
Hi apple79, many thanks for your speedy review! It helps to hear positive experiences from parents like you whose kids were in the centre! Other than preparing them well academically, do the school help in identifying/developing the individual strengths of the child? How about character development? Any focus in these areas as well? Although preparing them well for P1 is important, I'm quite concerned if my child is able to learn the right values, character wise, as he can be quite a handful at times and likely to give the teachers a hard time.

Hmm so far from what I observe the teachers are very patient. They give feedbacks during the PTC like any CC and able to identify some issues for my kids. for my kids they have less issue on behaviour (in sch are angels but at home terrors lol) but my eldest child has some health issue and they have been very supportive and encouraging and during one PTC one teacher shed tears talking to me about my girl's health issue and I feel very touched and can feel their genuine care for her. The kids there are all very happy and lively if u can observe.

My girl never felt out of place despite her issue.
Thanks for sharing and I hope your girl has since overcomed her health issues and grown to be stronger now! :) I guess what you mentioned struck a chord - that the children appeared lively and happy and the teachers are caring. And the fact that you mentioned your girl never felt out of place despite her issue (although I do not know what is the issue), for you to make that statement I guess the school/teachers has played an important role in providing empathy to children in need.

I haven't been able to find much reviews on the Cambridge@ Mei Hwan despite rather extensive googling and would like to thank you for stepping out to give your views. I believe that this review will be useful for other mummies as well. I will add on my own reviews where I can based on my own experiences as well. (my boy only enrolling next year though) Thanks again apple79!!

Hi Smonkey, my youngest boy is now at Cambridge Mei Hwan in N2. It used to be a good CC but not now after they changed a new principal recently. Price is very expensive. The service provided is not comparable to the price charged. Everything have to pay extra now even for basic lessons like phonics which is taught by the teacher in school. It's not like they get someone professional outside to taught and give lessons. Last time when my eldest boy was at Cambridge Lor Puntong, they had Letterland Phonics lessons for FREE. If you are willingly to pay extra for S&P, drawing, phonics etc; then good. Because all or majority of the children attend these lessons and your child don't attend, they will felt left out.

Hi, anyone knows how many months notice I need to give Cambridge if I want to withdraw my child n take back the deposit?

Hi smonkey, you might what to go to the school and see again and if best talk to a few more current parents. so sorry to hear about the new principal.

Hi Smonkey, my youngest boy is now at Cambridge Mei Hwan in N2. It used to be a good CC but not now after they changed a new principal recently. Price is very expensive. The service provided is not comparable to the price charged. Everything have to pay extra now even for basic lessons like phonics which is taught by the teacher in school. It's not like they get someone professional outside to taught and give lessons. Last time when my eldest boy was at Cambridge Lor Puntong, they had Letterland Phonics lessons for FREE. If you are willingly to pay extra for S&P, drawing, phonics etc; then good. Because all or majority of the children attend these lessons and your child don't attend, they will felt left out.
Hi jbba
Hi jbbaby, thanks for sharing on the recent change in management. I understand that the current principal's name is Yen Li. Is she the new principal? The price for N2 next year is $1,200 per month. What is the monthly fees you are paying for your boy in N2 now? (to get a sensing of the hike in fees over the year) Understand that enrichment classes are separate charges but am not aware that phonics programme is not included! Isn't phonics part of the cirriculum in most places? It's fundamental to their learning to read isn't it. I had emailed the school with a list of questions yesterday and will post the answers here once they reply. Many thanks for the info.

Hi smonkey, you might what to go to the school and see again and if best talk to a few more current parents. so sorry to hear about the new principal.
Hi apple79, thanks for the advice. May I know when did your girls stopped attending Cambridge? Was the principal's name Yen Li then?

last year Nov. Nope the principal was not Yen Li. During my girls' time the phonics are not included as well. They do learn some during class but not specifically phonics like in phonics class.I did not enrol her for the phonics as she was attending ICL then.

last year Nov. Nope the principal was not Yen Li. During my girls' time the phonics are not included as well. They do learn some during class but not specifically phonics like in phonics class.I did not enrol her for the phonics as she was attending ICL then.
Thanks for sharing.

I also managed to obtain more information on the programmes for the benefit of interested parents:
- They provide enrichment classes such as English Speech and Drama ($65/month), Chinese Speech and Drama ($40/month), Arts Explorer ($85/month), Phonics ($220/term, or $74/month with additional one time $120 for books every year).
- They do teach phonics in their curriculum, but the difference according to the principal is that the enrichment phonics is more structured and intense.
- They do not follow any specific phonics programme (such as Letterland, Jolly Phonics etc) for the one taught in the curriculum. She was unable to recall which phonics programme was used for the enrichment class.
- Excursions are held almost once a month at extra charges
- Teacher : child ratio is 1:15

All in all, the fees for the N2 class is $1200 (before subsidy) + $264 if you opt in for all the enrichment classes. The enrichment classes are cheaper compared to if you were to enrol separately outside. So, its up to you how you see it.

I'm also concerned about the fees hike year on year. Does anyone know if they are regulated in anyway on how much they can increase?

Hi, anyone knows how many months notice I need to give Cambridge if I want to withdraw my child n take back the deposit?
You may wish to call the school to check? It is usually one full calender month for some childcare centres. Eg: If you give notice now, the last month of school will be Nov. (or last day 30 Nov) Best to check with the school directly as they may have a different policy or may have changed their policy.

The fees for the enrichment are the same as what I am paying when my girls are there. I like the Arts Explorer the most. I think I am lucky. there was only once or twice fees hike thruout our 5 years there.

The fees for the enrichment are the same as what I am paying when my girls are there. I like the Arts Explorer the most. I think I am lucky. there was only once or twice fees hike thruout our 5 years there.
The fees for the enrichment are based on this year's rates and the principal mentioned changes are dependent on the respective operators. I hope they do not revise the fees much from here. Already quite ex! Can you also share if their school excursions are ex? My boy is currently in Learning Vision and their excursions are usually just for school bus (varies from $8-12 per person) and tickets charges, if any, which i find very reasonable.

Hi Smonkey,
Excursion is held almost once monthly on average. It depends on where they are going to. I can only provide a more accurate range after I see my boy's Comm Book this evening. This year is my boy third year there. It's the 2nd time they are increasing the fee. They just increased $150 starting from 2015. And just 2 weeks ago, they issued us a letter informing us of another increase of $150 starting from Jan2016 for existing student. Ever since they change management, its going to be 2 increase in 2 years. Going forward, I hope they wouldn't increase fees annually. Enrichment classes outside school are expensive because the operators need to pay for rental, teachers and admin. Ours is using existing teachers in the school that are paid salary. It really depend on management as its franchise businesses. Different centres, different bosses, different ways of doing, everything different..........

Last time, when my eldest boy attend Cambridge at Lor Puntong which is near my mum's place; extra programme at no extra cost. The boss is an ang mo. Lady boss is a Chinese who always appeared on TV for interviews. They are very friendly and standard there is high because lady boss is there everyday. They used to provide free milk powder to all children in the centre for feed before nap. I just met a mummy from my 2nd boy primary school last year and that mummy share with me that school is indeed great as her boy is from that centre too when she saw my youngest boy wearing Cambridge uniform during our children P1 PTC.

Personally, I feel that these "Branded well-known Preschool" should have Phonics and included in their curriculum as this is what make them different from government kindergarten and other CC like MFS where school fee is around $800 or lesser. Excursions charges for these school are relatively low too compared to the "Branded" ones.

I am keen to know whether these preschool's fees and curriculum are regulated in any way too so that it's totally at the preschool advantages? Which Learning Vision is your child from? Wanted to change to Learning Vision at AMK but hubby said my boy may not get used to it as he hate going to school recently. Headache...

Hi Calzz,
Agree with Smonkey that you should check with your centre as different centre has different policy. I have got 3 children and my children have been to different preschool, usually is one month notice. But since I received a letter from Cambridge Mei Hwan 2 weeks ago in revising their withdrawal policy to 2 months; I think it's better to check with your child's centre. Government kindergarden or MFS usually can get back deposit quite fast.

Wow $150 year on year is a lot. In comparison, the fees at Learning Vision increases about $50 yearly thus far. LV teaches the Letterland phonics and I feel that their programme is quite good and organised. My boy is with LV@Changi Airport. The teachers and principals there are very friendly and caring, which is what I liked. But due to a change in workplace I am unable to keep him there.

Do you know the current fees and enrichment program structures at the Lor Puntong branch? Would you consider transferring your boy to the Lor Puntong branch then?

Also, do you have to pay a one-time non-refundable 'commitment fees' of one month's fees to the school? I find this quite absurd as I don't know what I am paying for. On top of this, I still need to fork out one month's deposit, which is refundable. (this I can understand)

@jbbaby I couldn't find the Lor Puntong branch on their website, has it shifted?

Hi Smonkey,

I saw it still there when I visited my mum 1 month ago; a corner bungalow at No. 51 Lor Puntong. You can see it from the bus-stop opposite Ai Tong Primary. Btw, what is this "one-time non-refundable 'commitment fees' of one month's fees to the school" all about? You mean they asked for a total of 2 months fees; out of it 1 month is non-refundable?

Hi jbbaby, yes you are right. I can understand the standard practice of the one month refundable deposit in case u fail to provide sufficient notice. But they are asking for an additional month payment which is NON REFUNDABLE. This I cannot understand and accept. But I only found out after I registered.

I quite like the school's environment and curriculum. I like their project based learning and the use of tech to bring what cannot be observed into the classroom. Their ednoland chinese program also looks interesting. But it seems that the new management is v money minded which is worrying.

I'm worried to be slathered with burgeoning costs very year and I still have a younger kid who will join the school in another year or two.

Hi Smonkey,
They only told you the non refundable 1 month fees after you registered? If it happen to me, i will felt cheated. After paying a lump sum for registration fees, refundable deposit and the extra month of non refundable deposit; will you be willing to change your child to another CC. I don't think so, heart pain due to $. Can you still believe and have faith in them completely after the incident on the 1 month non refundable fees? Just like how a salesperson promote their products by painting a nice picture before u purchase from them. Thereafter, it may not be the case. Previously, it was a sole-prorietor business, where the wife of the owner is there often to overlook the centre unlike now its being run and manage by a big company where they paid someone to do the job and no effort is needed from them. Profit come first, everything secondary. If you are still comfortable with their ways of doing things, welcome.
Forgot to answer your question on the fees hike like..... My boy joined toddler class in 2013, fees was slightly more than $900. I posted in this thread above in Nov 2014, asking whether fees increase to $1050 shortly after a change in management is justify. No advice given. Yesterday, i share with you that they are increasing to $1200 starting from 2016. It look like there is an increase yearly after the change of ownership. You judge for it yourself. As long as you are happy, go ahead with what u planned. If not, you may still have choices. I just hope to share with parents what they will expect in future. Not to regret later as you mentioned there is an additional one month non refundable fee, which i suppose is $1200. Our hard earned money which can be put to better use by our children later especially to mummies like us who have more than 1child.

@jbbaby I couldn't find the Lor Puntong branch on their website, has it shifted?

Hi Smonkey,

Just managed to found out that they sold it to a group who offered them a good price for the takeover. It's called StarLearner who have quite a number of centres in singapore. Another good preschool gone, lesser and lesser good preschool and enrichment centres run by owners for our children in future.

Hi Smonkey,

Just managed to found out that they sold it to a group who offered them a good price for the takeover. It's called StarLearner who have quite a number of centres in singapore. Another good preschool gone, lesser and lesser good preschool and enrichment centres run by owners for our children in future.
Hi jbbaby, thanks for the info. Sigh. I'm really having second thoughts about signing up with Cambridge now. At their rate of fee increment, they will be comparable to Mindchamp in a few years. But Mindchamp fees include enrichment and don't have to pay extra.

Luckily I only paid $100 registration fees as I didn't bring my cheque book along that day, I can't put down the deposits.

I've viewed Star Learners at amk block 320 and find the place old and disorganized. I also don't like that they have TV time (gasp!) in their curriculum.

Sigh do you have any recommendation for a childcar around amk? I prefer a school that is fun and caring, low teacher to child ratio and able to cater the the unique needs and interests of the individual child.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation!

Hi Smonkey,

My sister-in-law will be changing her twin to the one of the pre-school in Jalan Pemimpin(Bishan Area). Will try to get feedback from her and see how....... Let me know if you found a good one too. Btw, have you been to Kinderland at Yio Chu Kang? Thanks

Hi

I have 2 sets of Cambridge boy uniforms (size S) and 2 sets of PE attire set. Both are new and unwashed. Letting go at $80. Please pm me if you are interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
I am also considering Cambridge Mei Hwan. I am so happy to have googled this page. I am also finding a school for my son in AMK.. If there is such a high hike in the school fee, I would also rather find another school. Any advices?

Hapi Aw,

If possible, why don't you look around first before you make a decision. Because if you enrol now and want to change later..... Your LO have to re-adapt and you will have to pay for Registration Fee of $250 to the new school. FYI, the fees for Nursery and Kindergarten now is $1200, an extra $50 for toddler. You need to take into account excursions too....

Sorry for the late reply. Have been away for sometime from the forum. Just an update that I've decided not to enrol my son in CDC at Mei Hwan.

They called me recently to follow up on my registration and when I mentioned that I'm not comfortable about the non refundable commitment fee, they now say that it's non refundable only if I choose not to enrol and it will be used to offset first month school fees. I have previously clarified with one other staff and the principal and this was clearly not what was told to me. The amount to be collected is also different ($1200 then and $900 now) Be it due to a change in policy or a genuine case of mis-communication, I find it unacceptable with either scenario.

When the principal learned that my boy is currently in a childcare, she suggested for me not to 'keep changing schools' for my son as it is not good for him. My boy has been enrolled into one school so far and I had to change his school due to a change in workplace. (I have not pulled him out as I've not found one that works for me) I can sense the keenness to perhaps use my placement to fulfill others on the wait list and I'm perfectly happy to give up my place and forfeit my registration fees with this presumptuous suggestion of her without even knowing my story.

It's better to cut my losses now than to enrol and have to deal with such high handed management later on. I'm sorry if I sound bitter cos the experience with them really left a bad impression with me.

@jbbaby I've considered kinderland at YCK but it's full ATM.

Hapi Aw,

If possible, why don't you look around first before you make a decision. Because if you enrol now and want to change later..... Your LO have to re-adapt and you will have to pay for Registration Fee of $250 to the new school. FYI, the fees for Nursery and Kindergarten now is $1200, an extra $50 for toddler. You need to take into account excursions too....

Sorry for the late reply. Have been away for sometime from the forum. Just an update that I've decided not to enrol my son in CDC at Mei Hwan.

They called me recently to follow up on my registration and when I mentioned that I'm not comfortable about the non refundable commitment fee, they now say that it's non refundable only if I choose not to enrol and it will be used to offset first month school fees. I have previously clarified with one other staff and the principal and this was clearly not what was told to me. The amount to be collected is also different ($1200 then and $900 now) Be it due to a change in policy or a genuine case of mis-communication, I find it unacceptable with either scenario.

When the principal learned that my boy is currently in a childcare, she suggested for me not to 'keep changing schools' for my son as it is not good for him. My boy has been enrolled into one school so far and I had to change his school due to a change in workplace. (I have not pulled him out as I've not found one that works for me) I can sense the keenness to perhaps use my placement to fulfill others on the wait list and I'm perfectly happy to give up my place and forfeit my registration fees with this presumptuous suggestion of her without even knowing my story.

It's better to cut my losses now than to enrol and have to deal with such high handed management later on. I'm sorry if I sound bitter cos the experience with them really left a bad impression with me.

@jbbaby I've considered kinderland at YCK but it's full ATM.

Dear Smonky,

I understand how u feel and am sorry that my feedback was abit late for u.The current Cambridge Mei Hwan is no longer a good preschool after the change of management. It is now even worst after this current principal came. Fee increase yearly but not the standard of the school and teachers. My boy's teacher who was a pioneer with the centre recently left Cambridge Mei Hwan after more than 10years working there...... The new chinese teacher is from china. Majority of the teachers there are foreigners from China and Philippines. Numbers of local teachers are less than 5..... Class size are getting bigger and bigger.

Rather loss the registration fee than get into the school paying a large sum. When u want to withdraw, deposit etc non-refundable. Take this as a blessing in disguise than having to deal with this type of management later. When that come, it is real headaches.

Best Regards

My boy is currently in Cambridge YCK. The teachers are attentive and not mostly make up of foreigners. I see a good mix of locals (from motherly aunty age to big sister kind) and PRCs. I am generally pleased with the standard of the teachers

The compound is really small though. Would be much better if they have a bigger garden for the kids to run around.

Back