Breastfeeding Woes

lyssea

Hi mummies I am a new mummy to a 2 week old and feeling very depressed, would really appreciate advice here. I was unable to breastfeed her exclusively when we got back to the hospital because she had jaundice and PD suggested formula. So now she is on some breastmilk and formula. Every since taking formula, she has not been feeding well at my breast presumably because of milk flow. She feeds a few minutes and either rejects it or falls asleep at my breast. I tried to wake her up by tickling her toes, undressing her, burping her but she would still sleep only to wake up a few mins later when I put her down in her cot.

I am very depressed as I don't know how to deal with this, can experienced mummies advice? I feel stressed now every time she makes a noise because I am afraid she will wake up and cry and refuse to sleep. I am exhausted as I wake up in the middle of the night to pump as well. Also, would mummies recommend pumping after feeding? Anyone has a routine here that you have followed and worked well for you? Many thanks for the advice.

Hi,

Don't get too worry as it will affect ur milk flow. i recommend for the 1st month dun pump out milk and just latch on demand once good milk flow is established then u pump out. my girl weight lost was more than 10% after birth so PD asked me to feed her formula i did and after discharged i latch her every now and then to ensure she is growing well. esp for jaundice baby milk intake is important to ensure they urine.
It is normal for baby to cry when they feed hungry tired uncomfortable colic and hot etc. we mommy has to try accomdate to their needs. 1st time mom is never easy but as times passes u will get a hand on it.
U don't have to wake up amd pump at night. baby hungry just latch. u can lie down beside baby and latch so that both of u can rest.

Try to relax and do it step by step we all learn from experiences amd sleepless nights. the journey of motherhood is never easy but always remember u r not alone.

Hi mummies I am a new mummy to a 2 week old and feeling very depressed, would really appreciate advice here. I was unable to breastfeed her exclusively when we got back to the hospital because she had jaundice and PD suggested formula. So now she is on some breastmilk and formula. Every since taking formula, she has not been feeding well at my breast presumably because of milk flow. She feeds a few minutes and either rejects it or falls asleep at my breast. I tried to wake her up by tickling her toes, undressing her, burping her but she would still sleep only to wake up a few mins later when I put her down in her cot.

I am very depressed as I don't know how to deal with this, can experienced mummies advice? I feel stressed now every time she makes a noise because I am afraid she will wake up and cry and refuse to sleep. I am exhausted as I wake up in the middle of the night to pump as well. Also, would mummies recommend pumping after feeding? Anyone has a routine here that you have followed and worked well for you? Many thanks for the advice.

Dear mommy lyssea, my newborn is also at 2 week old and i have very low milk supply. At best, I can only pump 60 ml from both breasts. My bb is a big eater, so there is no way my supply is enough to feed him. Furthermore, my bb doesn't like to latch, probably due to my slow supply. Therefore, I am supplementing him with FM, which I feel its completely fine as long as my bb is eating and pooing normally.

Please do not get depressed over not been able to bf exclusively and don't get affected by peer or social pressure about bf (see the article below). Afterall, didn't we all grew up with formula milk and are still healthy? Instead, try to spend more happy moments with your bb and take good care of yourself. The moment you are stressed, this may affect your milk production too. I am trying to pump as often as possible (2-3 hrly or 4hr when I am really tired), even if that takes me to wake up in the middle of the night. I am still trying my best to produce as much as I can if possible but I will let nature takes its course. Our babies need happy mommies!

Lastly, check this news out. Hopefully cases like this won't happen again
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nourished-thought-baby-formula-unhealthy.html

Last edited:

Dear Lyssea

The only way forward is to persevere. For the next few days, just latch on whenever she cries. Regardless of whether it is day or night, or the interval. No more bottles, unless it is after feed. You need to retrain her and your breasts to produce milk for her. Do not pump for the time being.

It will be a tough 3-days and night, but it will be over - both your breasts and your baby will adjust to each other accordingly. Trust yourself - stay very hydrated - have a big bowl of soup or a big cup of milo half an hour before feeding. Sleep whenever the baby sleeps - no to visitors, to TV, drama, facebook, etc.

I know it is difficult because I have been there. Persevere. Trust yourself and your baby!

Jia you!!

Dear mummies, somehow I missed your replies and thought that no one responded to my post. Just want to thank you for the encouragement! I still mix feed now but it's 70percent breast milk and 30percent formula. Feeling much better now about it and my 3 month old baby is also more manageable. Motherhood is really not easy and we need all the help and support we can get. Thank you mummies! :)

Part of the problem is that formula milk is sweet! It usually has sweetening sugar in it. So it's quite natural babies will like formula. Quite disgusting actually when you think about it.

Back