Breastfeeding Support Group

Hi Jas03/Blumarine,

Tks for the advice. Tried out the hand-expressing early this morning and took a really long time to squeeze out the droplets of milk but think its abit better now. Shall try again later...gd thing is my supply is better now..can get abt 110 to 140 per pump...hopefully will get even better as i hand express some more. Dunno y this time is harder to breast feed than the first time rd...

tks again for the advice!

hi betterworld,

hmmm...ok. Yap, we can survive. ganbatte....

Yeah, have gotten myself the avent manual during the taka fair just over. Think it will be very useful for those biz trips. Now I have so many pump, hb is thinking I must be mad...but it's all for BFg...hehs. Now got greater motivation to continue BF for as long as possible - gotta breakeven! hahaha...

Trying to build up supply and stock of EBM...coz at each pumping session, I only manage to pump out 120ml (total), when my gal drinks 140ml at each feed! haiz....

Hi CSI Fan,

Just gotten back from my China trip. Ha, I survived for 15 hours outside from Changi Airport to hotel room. I have gotten sick of carrying my heavy Avent Duo around, so when I am out of the hotel room, I am so lazy to the extent that I do not even bring the Avent Manual. I just use hand-expres. Haha! However, I was not diligent in expressing, especially when I could not wake up in time to go to the airport. Now have painful blocked ducts, that do not seem to go away. Sigh.

Which pump do you have and what is the interval of your pumping? 120 ml sounds quite reasonable actually.

Hi betterworld,

My electric one is the Medela PIS. So far, I've been pumping every 4 hours (dun want to be away from desk too often lah...).

I guess it is reasonable, just that there's no frozen EBM at home lorh. What I pump today is for her tomorrow...and barely just nice. When I travel, I dunno how also. She'll probably have to go on FM for those few days...

Btw, how do you sterilise your manual pump when you're travelling?

I haven't gotten the hang of hand expression. hehs...

Hi CSI Fan,

I used the sterlising tablets when I travel. THen I will rinse off prior to use. Actually, that is not recommended, but I don't like the idea of chemicals lingering around. However, I have to use boiled water or mineral water for rinsing.

It is actually a lot of considerations. You have to get access to a fridge. I usually check and ask the hotel if they have rooms that come with fridge.

Actually, for China trips, I would dump the milk as I am not comfortable with the level of hygiene there.

Does your dd drink frozen EBM? Since your dd is below 6 months and is fully dependent on milk, you have to make sure that her diet is taken care of before you go. Have to start introducing frozen EBM or FM slowly. What I did was to store frozen EBM. My first trip was when she was 4 months old and I only introduced FM at 8 months old.

4 hours is a good interval. I did that too when I just came back to work. I was fortunate and was able to pump out more though. YOur dd is exclusive BM?

Hi betterworld,

yah lorh...it's a lot to consider. Haiz. The challenge of BF. hehs. I have the same thots too...am not comfortable with the hygiene levels in China. Then 1st biz trip after returning to work is to China. *diaoz*

Sorry ah, am just trying to picture the different scenarios...if you're out and about overseas, how to sterilze? bring a long a container with the sterilizing solution and a bottle of boiled/mineral water, so that can rinse off wherever you are, and then place it back into the solution after use? That's like, a lot of things to be carrying around....

Yup, she does drink frozen EBM. Managed to freeze up some EBM over the long weekend. Hahaha...It's only during such holidays that I get to freeze SOME EBM (coz most of the time latching her on, not much left to pump out after she finishes her feed). Yup, she is exclusive on BM for now...will probably buy a small tin of FM to test test her reaction to it before my trip.

Hi CSI Fan,

If I leave the hotel and need to pump outside, I would sterlise first prior to leaving the hotel room. I will bring a container and sterlising tablets.

I almost bought dry ice when I was on an extended trip to Hk, in an attempt to transport the frozen milk. In the end, gave up the idea as I was simply too busy and too stressed.

By the way, haven't seen your wedding photos yet, while you had seen mine some time back...
happy.gif

Hi everyone

I plan to buy the Medela PIS advanced.

I am purchasing online fr US website trhough Vpost

total cost: S$311 + 60 (shipping) = S$371.

Is this price worth it?

Hi betterworld,

okie. I have a better idea on how to handle pumping while travelling now...thanks!

Oh, heehee...you haven't seen? heehee...pai seh. Okie, I'll PM you my multiply website.
happy.gif
I haven't updated it in a while...since the wedding. hahaha...

Hi joanna,

I think it's a good price, only thing to note is...I dun think there's warranty for those units purchased in US. Also, do check if that unit allows you to use a transformer, coz the voltage in the US is different from that in SG...If cannot, then regardless how cheap also no point.
happy.gif

Hi Joanna

Yes, Kitty is right, no world wide warranty. i wanted to buy it from amazon too but checked with Medela and got reply that its warranty does not cover world wide :-( very risky leh...

hi mummies, need your advices here...

i wanted to get a breast pump to freeze BM during my maternity but i donno which one should i get, avent manual or ameda electric.

my company has medela hospital graded breast pump for bfg mummies. so i don't need to worry if i need to pump at work.

appreciate if anyone can share and advise.

many thanks!

Hi CSI Fan,

Got your PM. Nice wedding. I like your wedding dinner concept.
happy.gif
And yes, baby Louise is sooooo cute!
happy.gif

By the way, if you could actually get access to a fridge, what I did with the frozen milk was to bring only sufficent packets that could last for 24 hours worth of feeds. Once I transfer them, they would thaw. Often I would ask the air stewardess to keep the milk in the fridge in the plane during the flight for me.

Ho jo,
Avent manual or ameda electric will both work fine. If you think that manual is too time-consuming, then get the ameda electic. As CSI Fan and I were discussing, it is easier to use the manual one if you intend to travel next time after your maternity leave.

Hi,
Glad I found this thread.. I have a few questions to ask and hope someone can advise me
happy.gif

Regarding freezing EBM
1) Can I combine different EBM which are pumped at different time of the day to make 5oz before 1 freeze in 1 bag?

2) If yes to (1), then how long can I let EBM stand in chiller before 1 combine them and freeze it?

Reason why I have to combine is because I can't seem to pump 150ml whenever I pump. I usually let my boy latch on but I need to start storing as going to start work in end May..

Thanks for any advice..

Hi betterworld,
I'm back! Phew! Survived it...hahahha....wooohooo!!

Not easy. Think supply might have been slightly affected. Rush here rush there, each time hardly empty the breast, not enough sleep...haiz. But will just continue to persevere.

Hi Phy,
Yap yap, you can do that. Usually, at work I'll pump every 4 hourly. Then once I get home, I'll combine them in 1 bag...i kiam mah...wanna save on milk bags. So far, ok lah...kekeke...coz I only can pump out enough for the next day's feed...
sad.gif
Nothing extra.

CSI_Fan and betterworld,
Thanks
happy.gif

CSI,
Glad your survived the trip!! Oh by the way, nice to see you here too
happy.gif
Voted for your girl already
happy.gif

Check with you about pumping and storing at work.. How do you go about doing it? About sterilisiing pump, bottles to storing of milk etc etc... Me totally clueless and have to start planning since I'll be returning to work in end May.. then must see how to pump and store in office..

Betterworld,

You seem an expert in travelling and pumping already
happy.gif
How long have you been BFing? I've been Bfing for 3 months plus already and wish to continue to as long as I can.. but I'm returning to work in end May and worry about pumping and storing...

Hi Phy,

My daughter is 17 months old. Initially, did not think that i could last this long. Haha.. Actually, I don't wash the pumps nor sterlise the pumps at work when I had to pump twice a day at work. I just put the whole lot into the fridge. Haha! Washing takes up too much time and my friend taught me this method. The rationale is that fridge will be a rather 'safe' environment rather than doing a poor job on washing and sterlising and hence introduce germs. Well, not recommended but at least my daughter did not fall sick.

Hi CSI Fan,
Welcome back. Glad that you survived. I know what you mean, but well you made it! Well done! Now better make sure that you diligently empty your breasts since you are back. Don't be like me who ended up with mastritis, plus fever, one time after a long trip.
happy.gif

hi Phy,
heehee...thank you thank you...
happy.gif

erm, I also dun sterilise my pump. Initially, I thot I could do it. Coz my office has this super hot water dispenser. So I just wash with the Pigeon detergent and pour the hot water over, let it soak a while. Then I felt it took up too much time. Plus I have a fierce pantry lady breathing down my neck each time I'm in the pantry. (sianz). Even tried the sterilizing tablets. But also quite leh chey. So in the end, I just dump it all into the lock and lock container and leave it by my side (i got no access to the fridge in the pantry either).

I have 2 funnels/flanges (invested in an extra one to help save some time), and a mini cooler on my desk to store the EBM till time to go home. I sterilize all pump parts and storage bottles in the morning and pack into 2 lock & lock boxes and bring to work. So first pump in the day, I will use 1 funnel/flange. Keep in a lock & lock box. Put by my side in office. Office air con is super cold. My next pump session is 4 hours (like the max time to leave EBM at room temp, yah?), so my thots are: whatever droplets of EBM that remains on the flange are still within the safe limits. So 2nd pump session, use the same flange. Then rinse and keep. 3rd pump session is also 4 hours later. Use the 2nd flange which is kept sterile in the air tight container lorh...Oh, I sterilise the lock and lock containers too...heehee...(I must be mad, yah?)

If I cannot make the 2nd pump session in 4 hours, then I'll straight away use the 2nd flange/funnel for that session. and try to keep the 3rd session to 4hours after the 2nd. But usually, if that's the case, the 3rd session will be when I reach home liaoz. hehs...

I think we'll all figure out a way some how...hehs...

Hi all,

Need advice, my baby is 1 month old and I'm feeding using EBM. I intent to breast feed as long as I can. Currently, my supply is more than my baby's intake so I have quite a lot of frozen expressed breast milk. Was wondering how to manage. Should I just keep giving her fresh EBM or should i mix fresh with the frozen? Cos if I don't use the frozen, scare have to throw away after 3 months... very wasted.

hey mummies,
can I ask if anybody has tried this:-

pump out and then store in milk bottle (with screw cap, teat and dome cap all on) and keep in fridge for baby's next feed?

Coz what I pump out is only just nice for baby's next day's feeds. So was thinking, instead of transferring to milk bag each evening, and then for parents' maid to transfer from milk bag to milk bottle, why not I just transfer straight into milk bottle? Afterall, I go to my parents' place to pick baby up every day. So was thinking of transferring my EBM into the sterilised milk bottle there and then keep in my parents' fridge for baby's next day's feeds. Then I also dun have to bring so many things up and down each time...

CSI_Fan (kitty_li) : If you want to be really picky about it, don't store in milk bottle unless you are using glass bottles or safe plastic bottles. (there is a whole thread on unsafe plastic bottles)

Reasoning is that the fat in EBM does not interact well with some plastics during heating up and therefore not healthy for bb.

Zanna (zanlee111): Feed bb fresh EBM as far as possible and freeze the extra. Every week or so (depending on your stash size) cycle out some frozen EBM to feed bb and freeze more EBM to keep your frozen stash up to date.

Regarding washing the flanges/tubing/valves etc, I never bothered to during office hours. Just put everything in a ziplock bag and put it in fridge between pumping sessions. Wash/sterilize at home (I've a second set that I use while at home) and repack in same ziplock (also sterilized or new) for office the next day.

If I pumped >1x a day, I would even pump straight into an earlier, half-filled bottle/bags just to reduce the number of bottles/bags I have to manage.

Hi singlemomof3,
thanks for your inputs...hmmm...Avent ones are safe lah, horh? hehs...been using it for 4 mths liaoz. Not safe also damage probably done already. haha...

Hi CSI Fan,

Actually, I would not advise re-using the same used flanges and all in the office, if you do not put everything in the fridge. True, your office might be cold and you re-use within 4 hours, but the normal ambient air would surely introduce germs and bacteria.

For me, I just pump directly into Avent storage bottles since I use Avent Duo, which could be fitted into milk bottles later. To me, there are many studies/myths about plastic milk bottles, but as in everything, I think moderate usage is ok. You can buy an Avent converter to be able to pump directly into Avent bottles. I used to have it, but sold it away after getting the Duo.

Hi All,

I'm new here, been BF my son (7mths soon)since birth.

RE storing EBM, i've been expressing direct in the plastic bottle since day 1, using the Medela bottles. For freezing i'll transfer to milk storage bag after pump.

Actually i had doubts b4 re the qly coz the Medela bottles seemed to turn cloudy and had already changed funnel at 1mth+ of usage coz the soft plastic turned yellowish and sticky. Any1 same prob w/ Medela parts ?

Glass Bottle - heard that not advise coz the glass might chip n mix w/ milk.

BTW, any1 taste ur EBM b4? i tasted n it's sweet and very oily. The taste of fat is very stale n strong. Like the 'chao sng' taste, is it b'coz of heating it plastic bottle? never herad of b4, where can i read up abt this?

Hi mommies,

Am new here, need some advise on how to transfer ebm to infant care, can use frozen ebm?

Bee,

I am also using medela bottles and pis advanced, so far no problem with funnel. The bottles are ok, but i have one feeding bottle with marking peeling off.

Re: taste of ebm. Yes i did before, sweet! The frozen ebm have rancid smell (also fishy) but i read it is safe. Only problem is some babies might reject it.

ebm should be sweet cos ants come when I accidentally dripped on the floor. my bb loves my ebm so much so that she rejects formula now at 7 mths. my supply dwindling...

on the storage part, no such issues. jus that after placing in the fridge for more than a day, there will be a separation of the 'fatty' part and the liquid part. applying what I have studied science b4, this is due to difference of density.

if worried abt bottle, just change new bottles to play safe

Hi betterworld,
hmmm...you have a point. Guess I'll have to shorten my lunch. hahaha. use lunch time to wash and pour super hot water over the pump parts...better than nothing lah. My office has got those hot (very hot) water dispenser...heehee...

Yup. I also got myself the converter. Just got the teat travel pack (to store the teat) and sealing discs. Think it's better to pump into the avent bottles, then seal with sealing discs...then to seal with teat and dome cap.

Bee, yah, I've tasted my EBM before. It's very sweet. hahaha. I'm also using medela bottles and PIS Advanced. Could the funnel turning yellow be due to sterilisation? Mine is starting to become a bit yellowish. As for bottle, I have 1 bottle that warped after steriilization. Think it was still hot and I closed the cover. So the sides got "sucked" in and stayed that way. And now, instead of a round bottle, I have a "squar-ish" bottle. I didn't use that bottle anymore, to play safe.

Haiz, my gal now having loose stools (but not a lot). Think she's teething lah...so she keeps putting things into her mouth. End up with a bit of diarrohea.

I think ebm taste depend on what mummy ate. I had durian one day & I observed how bb like it. I think ebm also have durian flavour. hahaha

hi mommies,
first time posting here....Im a FTWM.

i've been using my Medela Mini Electric Duo for the last 5 months. pumping 4x for the first 4 months and now 3x a day. i have a feeling it is starting to fail. Bcos i am now yielding lesser after 15 mins and i can still feel my breasts are still full. i also massage and squeeze my breasts during. do you reckon i should dump my Duo and quickly buy a better more expensive pump as it will last longer, i am quite upset becos i bought this pump cos it was cheaper than the PIS and now it seems to be failing, is the PIS a good investment for long term pumping what about AMEDA? i need to get something lightweight as i lug my pump to and fro everyday.

or do you think its just my imagination that the pump is failing and that my yield is normal. i am yielding 100ml each pump as compared to 160 to 200ml before. Im so upset becos my bb is coming to 7 months already and i have plans to stop pumping soon. but i didn't want this to be the reason to stop. idiot pump! so angry!

madlynette,

maybe it's psychological. I mean, you have plans to stop pumping soon. The thought is already in your brain. So your brain automatically prgrammes itself to produce less...possible? Coz for me, when my gal was 2 mths old, I was so frustrated and tired from BF-ing and pumping, that one day while pumping at home, in my mind, I told myself "that's it lah. No support from anyone. So frustrating. Forget it lah. Give FM lah. At least that way, HB will pay for FM. That's some form of support. Forget it. I'll stop BF." And guess what? The very next day, my supply dropped by half. *horrors* It was that fast lorh. I felt guilty and told myself I will breakeven (on the cost of buying pump, storage bottles, bags etc). So now I keep telling myself to continue. Keep sending my brain messages that I have loads of supply (as if...hahaha). Supply did not zoom back up, but there is just nice enough for my gal.
happy.gif

The brain is such a powerful organ manz...

hey betterworld (or any other mummies who flew while still BF their babies),

Just wondering, is it possible to express while on board a flight? Coz my up coming trip is pretty long. 6 hours flight. So I was thinking of expressing on board. Will be flying on SQ. Any idea?

Hi Madlynette,

I'm using the PIS and it has served me well. Pumped for 6 mths for my first boy and now intending to do at least the same for my 1 mth old baby girl. Am not sure if your pump is failing but my cousin used the mini electric till her baby was at 7-8mths old and its still in good order.

Perhaps you can try 'power pumping' to boost your supply? I read abt this method somewhere...dunno which mummy post in which thread in this forum... I started trying this after my initial slow build up of supply, on top of pumping as frequently as I can...Her recommendation was to pump 20mins, rest 10mins, pump 10mins, rest 10mins, pump 10mins. Its really time consuming so i only do this 1 hr thing when im more free on weekends...otherwise, i do 15mins, rest 5 and pump 10mins again. Have been getting about 180ml (3 hrly pump) to 260ml (4-4.5hr pump). Hope this helps.

Hi All

Glad to hear some of you have really good ss.

my son 7mth now, although he's BIG (9.6kg now, birth 3.8kg) but his consumption's still 120ml (e'vry 3-4hrs)since 1 mth old. 1 work fr 12 - 8pm. last feed is 8/9 am, pump around 3-4pm for 2x120ml bottles, these few days dropped to 2 x 100ml. Initially at 3 mth i still pump e'vry 3 hrs. Then milk got over-ss during the period he fell sick at 5 mths. Already stored packets of frozen milk.

QUESTION : Should i store the current fresh ones to exchange for the frozen one? still got Jan's frozen EBM!

HOW LONG should i store EBM at the freezer compartment? can advice?

During my absent,he got 2 porridge feed and 2 x 120ml feed, sometimes once. Then at night, he latches on for about 3 times. He would cry out loud in the middle of sleep and only put him to my breast then he stops (not even pacifier). He used to sleep throughout n satisfied w/ pacifier.

CSI Fan

isn't BF bb got loose stools?

i salute to you traveling mums! working hard for family, pumping n missing bb while absent, i think i can understand although i dun travel for work.

RE the POWER PUMPIMG, will take up long time huh? I'm not using PIS, am using Medela Swing which i think is ok. didn't want to spend so much coz i didn't know if i'll cont'. Swing is also light weight, easy to carry around.

I realise for milk to flow quick during pump, u really got to put your heart and mind in it. When i pump i hv to stare at it then milk will come out, if i'm talking or do sthg else, it'll take ages to finish each pump.

Madlynette

maybe u check the valve or membrane, i realised if it's not connected properly (valve attachment to funnel or membrane out of shape), air can't flow thru hence no suction. it happened to me once.

Hi,

Need to ask something abt frozen breast milk. is it normal for frozen breast milk to have a "funny" smell and taste? I also dunno how to describe... but my DD still drink... so I guess it's ok?

Hi Bee,

yah...BF babies would have loose stools...but it's more watery than her normal lorh. It's like, really liquid. not watery-mustardy. Like very wet...hahaha. dunno how to describe adequately also. kekeke...

CSI Fan, Net and Bee,
thanks for your thoughts, yes perhaps its the mind, so i try to be more positive. will change the membrane and see if it works, but its true that the pump is cranky cos i can hear the whirring sound sometimes gets weaker, cos i've been lugging it to and fro and sometimes it get knocks in the process. i don't think im giving up too soon cos im quite happy to express and give the milk to my ger and the office is quite accommodating.

Mummies,
Check with you. Is it necessary to purchase new breastpump accessories (eg Funnels, valves, etc) when breastfeeding my 2nd baby? I already have those items when I bought my Pump earlier on, but not too sure should buy new ones since those items are quite old liao.

Hi CSI Fan,

Yes, it is possible to pump onboard, though I have not tried it before. I took a 6 hours flight before, but my interval then was 8 hours, so I could last from home to the hotel. Haha... Was exploding by then. My colleague used the Avent manual to express in the aircraft toilet, but she took so long (30 min), that the flight attendants were knocking and almost kicking the door open. Haha! So, I reckon it is best to let the flight attendants know first. I might to have take a 12 hr flight soon, so I will just express a little using hand in the toilet.

Hi madlynette, actually I think your pump is faulty. Should send it for a check. My expensive Avent Duo could actually conk out on me at the 3rd month twice, but it was covered under warranty luckily.

Lala,
For avent, it is possible to get new parts. Not sure about the rest.

hi all, any advices from u

currently my bb is 4weeks old, on FM. I do bf and ebm, I pump 3 times per day, and let bb latch on b4 i feed her FM but my ss is still very low, i can only pump 100 ml (after 1hr pumping) a day at most. How do increase the ss? I am using medela mini electric single pump to pump, i realised that it cannot empty my breast, when I hand squeeze, I still can squeeze out milk, but when i use pump again, no more! could it be the reason why my ss is low?

I want to bf or give bm as long as possible to my bb, but bb is drinking more, yet my ss cannot support her...

hi,
i'm new in this thread.. Would like to seek the advice from some of the experienced BF mommies here..
i get a stinging pain in my breast sometimes. Does it mean that i have thrush? What are the other symtoms?

hi bf mommies,
im new in this thread.wld luv to share experiences and adviceS.
been a nursing pair for about a year now and am thankful that it have been a pleasant journey.LUV Breastfeeding..*wink*
HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY LOVELY LADIES

Hi All
Happy Mummy's Day! :)

Cherish
1st time mum? same here, in the first month, my ss was low too, was quite hard to pump out too, each side took me 20-30 minutes. Gynea advice to pump every 3 hrs without fail to increase ss. drink lots of fluid, eat plenty of fish too. keep it up, jia-you.

my son coming 8 mth, ss quite low, but he doesn't drink that much in the day time coz on solid. I'm not worry as long he's growing.

Any mum can advice?
my bb will be away from me for 3 days (sis bringing him visit my mum in M'sia). How did your bb react/cope when you were outstation? Did your bb miss you at nite? any advice if he wants to latch on? Thanks!

bellybutton,

I'm using it now... it saves a lot of space compared to milk bags and more convenient also. Cos each stick is 1 ounce, so u just need to take out the required amt to defrost.

Hi All

I am a new mummy. My girl is now 5 weeks old, so I have been bfing her for 5 weeks. Am using Medela Swing and currently doing the latch-pump thingy to increase my milkflow, and it was successful, now I have managed to have 3 bags of 150ml in my freezer and the 4th bag of 150ml thawing in the fridge.

The only time I have to give her formula was 2 weeks back, when I have a raging fever for 3 days from engorged breast.

That's my intro... hahaha :p

Anyway, I will like to ask is it normal to have one breast yielding more milk than the other? Cos my right breast is producing about 30-40ml more than my left. Is there any way that I can 'encourage' my left breast to produce more milk?

Another question is I am starting work on 1 July and have no idea whatsoever about pumping at the workplace, i.e. how do I plan how many times should I pump in the office everyday? Currently, I am still feeding on demand and pumping out my milk about 30mins after latch-on.

With me working, is it necessary to stick to pumping every 3 hours? Or do I only change the number of pump sessions when I have a sufficient supply at home? Oh, and what constitutes as a sufficient supply?

Back