BEDOK mommies club

daphne,
thanks for the webby

As i am staying with in laws, my husband will prefer to have maid there as well as my boy. Thus, i dun think he will agree to the idea of letting my parents take care of my boy. Furthermore, both my parents are still working. he will definitely say dun ask them to resign just becos of this.

ya, i do stay near my parents. I am at Chai chee whereas my parents are at bedok south. i am also working in bedok
happy.gif

Hi all Bedok mummies,

Can I join in the thread? I have a 20-mth-old boy and currently staying with my parents at Bedok South.

As my no-pay-leave is ending soon, I have to start planning whether I should send my boy to childcare or let him stay with my parents and attend normal playschools. By then, he should be 2yo. Initially wanted to leave him with my mum but worried that sooner or later, he will be "spoilt" by my parents if he stays too long with them. So toggling with this idea of sending him to childcare so that he can learn to be independent and sociable. Any mummies have the same experience and willing to share?

In addition, any good and affordable playgroup schools and childcare around Bedok South? Understand that some of the mummies have kids attending classes at Bedok Lutheran Church. How do u find the school and teachers?

Thanks a lot
happy.gif

Hi wishes,

u can also try out the GP at Blk 18, Bedok South (Bedok Medical Centre). The more elderly doctor there is a hot favourite, so u can also imagine the long q.

Hi Jess, I send my gal to CC when she was 27mths now she is 6year. I started with half day first then full day. Though I have maid a home, I don't feel comfortable to let them take care. Somemore go CC can learn, stay at home with me and maid learn nothing. For your infor. my gal was in Mini World CC located in Chai Chee.

I used to go there. It's under my co panel doc list. Not bad due to they generous giving medicine. not like other panel doctors. Hehe..
Why not try 526 clinic at Blk 526. Not bad also.

Nemo
you SAHM? you can teach her at home mah
wink.gif

ringo
my personal view hor, childcare probably pick up germs & bad habits from other kids leh, not necessarily becoming more sociable.
Independent maybe, since lesser attention from teachers compared to home care givers.

Jess, ringo
Actually, I prefer kindy over childcare lor. Childcare is not teaching whole day, a lot of time spend on queueing up to bathe, lunch time, nap time, idle time. If can arrange for help, maybe good to send to kindy in morning then have lunch & nap at home. A more secured environment for the child rather than spending whole day in childcare.

After I withdrawn my girl from childcare, she's happier leh
happy.gif

Hi yawn yawn, I don't want to teach her, later I go CRAZY. Before the second gal arrive I was working part time (family business). only recently I started to stay at home to take care the baby.Now still doing some work at home.
happy.gif

haha. i am so lost nw.
but guess will just take a step at a time.
i also thinking if shld put at kindy. but after tat who fetch my boy home?

how i wish i can be a SAHM... hahaha

Bedok Lutheran Church got wat classes? actually i hope next time can put my boy at the bethesda church near Fengshan when he goes to kindergarten. i was also from there
happy.gif

My boy will be abt 28mths next yr. thought of putting him at CC so that he can learn things.
Mayb just send him to nusery since my mil is looking after him now.

Bedok Lutheran Church offers pre-nursery, nursery, K1 and K2 classes. If i not sending him to CC, may send him there to attend 3hrs class. Any feedback from mummies with kids there?

Spoke to the principal of BLC kindergarten today and understand I can only enrol my boy for the class commencing next yr. In the meantime, is there any other playgroups around Bedok South that I can send him to?

re: childcare
Best scenario is 1/2 day childcare/Kindergarten then afternoon stay at home with Parents/PIL. My kids went to full day CC for only 1 month and lost 3 kg. My gal was so haggard and had nightmare cos she said the children there bullied her. Sim Tia... But no choice cos my maid went home in Dec and I can't take leave. The teachers at CC will not make sure they finish their food and drink milk. They only allow me to bring packet milk. Fruits is either apple or banana everyday. Whereas at home, I ensure my maid gives them milk 3 times a day, variety of fresh fruits and nutritious snacks. When I compare my kids with those kids that attend CC, there is significant size difference. Not sure whether it's because of nutritious level or not.

my youngest kid is now with mini world for a month liao.. so far, ok except that she keeps falling ill.

Nemo, Jess, you guys also at chai chee? Am at block 2! :p *wave wave*

YSL clinic, ya.. only doc yeh is good. My kids see Dr Lim at block 20, chai chee road. His med also good. 2-3 days usually recover unlike some other docs / PDs, sometimes need to go see them 2 or 3 times then completely recover. But his 1 time fees hor, is equivalent to going to a normal doc for 2 to 3 times. Range 50 and above depends on the type of med he gives ur kid.
sad.gif

Hi ringo

my son is now 19 months and I will be registering him for pre-nursery at Bedok Lutheran Church for next year intake.

My girl is currently in K1. So far so good.

She has been there since last year for the nursery class. I like the teachers there cos can see they are patient and caring to the kids. They focus more on motor skills for the younger kids first. Thereafter they were being taught ABC, 123 and bi hua in 2nd half of the year. Shapes and colour were taught 1st half of the year. The kids will do all the work in school and end of each term, the kids will bring back all the work they had done.

Not too sure what the 3 yr old will be learning but I will still be sending my son there next year. If not stay at home also do nothing.

The registration for next year start on 2nd March.

There is also a playgroup at Bedok CC, did you check out on that?

Another point is because BLC is a christian setup, so the kids will be learning bible stuff and singing christian songs as well.

welcome all the new mummies,

ringo
my gal is in BLC too.. nursey this year.. so far shes enjoying her sch.. still lookin forward to sch everyday
happy.gif
as in wats shes learnin, as now its onli the 2nd mth, cant comment much also.. but learn singing n dancin abit loh. haha... the teachers ther ok loh.. but i find not so v friendly leh..
happy.gif
but ok lah.
ur kid is onli 20 mths yah? how abt considering putting him at playgroup first? (ard 1.5hrs/day). last yr my gal was in a playgroup @WINSHIRE near the ECOn mart..blk 57 or 58..i forgotten.. i personally like the teacher ther.. my gal loves her alot also. n she learn alot ther also...

all new mummies here.... we are having a meet up on 3rd of march 3pm at Ehub.... do join us if can leh... k? lookin forward to see everyone here

a Big HALO and Welcome to all new mummies...
i am also looking around for CC or Nursery for my 22 mths old boy. Still comtemplating which one to enrol. cos if Nursery, then have to supplement with other enrichments and if CC, some provide the enrichment and it becomes a One-stop service. heee....
many kindy accepts children from age 3.
mummies know of any good playgroup around bedok north to enrol?

mummies, are there any other Winshere branches beside Blk 5x?
are they good?

yawnyawn
sorry for late response.
i read the postings but i have not time to reply cos office has blocked off the website and when home, no time to access pc.

we delayed her entry into P1 as we agreed that she is not ready physically and academically to keep up with the P1 system. She will encounter lota of difficulties and will always be running and trying to cach up her peers and i will be there 'shepard dog' but a crazy one screaming and shouting and nagging (though i am doing it now alr) :-(
She is still doing her therapy now and its vey straining to our pocket...

Hi spagoh,

My son was from Winshire & they only have playgrp + enrichment class bt not in the same time with playgrp class. However, my son find the teacher are veri strict. maybe he is active ba. hee..hee alterntive u can try out Bedok community ctr they provide playgrp only.

Some CC they provide enrichment class.

welcome all new bedok mummies.

sorry cant join the gathering, cos i was on leave on 2 march for my girl therpy

spagoh,
we too intending to delay my gal entry to P1. she is having speech thepy at HPB. Care to share what therpy is yur gal having. Now we waiting for the doc to switch to occupational therapy. She not very slow, refused to sit still to do work.

jess,
u stay ard bedok south ave3? my parent and sis stay ard there.

iwg26,
goging to due soon? take care.
i stay very near to the 18x cc, maybe i day i might bump on u keke

sng'smum
coping well wifout the maid?

yawn
agreed wif u, kids get sick when go to cc. I am still hesitating when to send the younger one in.

anyone have receive new from their kids cc that they gog to increae price

Hi wendy,

my son PCF SCH had increased fee since jan and don provide food anymore during the break time. So we have to prepare ourself.

hihi wendy

it was a struggled decision to make though we comfort ourselves that she is a year-end baby, shldn't have much impact joining the juniors next year.

the teachers had helped a great deal in getting her mentally-prepared that she won't be going to P1 like her existing classmates.

my gal just embarked on group therapy.
the group therapy consists of the occupational therapy followed by writing within the one hour session.
she was on individual OT for abt 6mths previously.
we are with a private OT clinic.

last time, she cannot sit attentively as her peers thus she was unable to focus and follow thru the class activities.
thus learning was inconsistence.
now, her teachers and ourselves have noticed an improvement in her.
hope she would be more ready to take on the P1 challenges by next year.

saying so much, i find that she still has far alot of logic skills to learn and understand or to correct her habits?
eg she will leave her shoes ard when she comes home or leave her PJ on the bed/floor after she changed and just walk over. alamak!!! It just nvr get into her ears...!
kao_angry.gif

Thanks Daphne.
U know which CC playgroup are recommended ones?
Do they take in registration throughout the year or on a yearly basis?

Spagoh and Wendy,
At which point in time did you decide to send your girl for speech therapy? Is it because of something she can't do? I'm asking this because my son stammers when he speak. Over phone, half the time I can't make up what he says. His phonics teacher comment his pronounciation is not so accurate - without the ending 't', 'k' etc. But other than the speaking part, he can write and do well in spelling/tingxie like his K2 peers. I console myself that boys are slower in speech and he's year end too. Next year he'll go to pri 1.

Iwg26
when she was in K1, she was still unable to count, read and write and academic is getting more and more challenging and she was getting further and further behind her peers. eg, she cannot copy words from the helping words in the box into the blanks. take ages to just do 1 page of simple exercise.
thus we sought professional assessement if she has development problem.
if not, then we can seek the appropriate 'medication'.

i am not too sure how speech therapy works.

spagoh

There's also a Winshire at Blk 123 Bedok North, facing Blk 135 PCF

I visited Winshire 3 years ago, looked clean & the class size was small. My only concern is the staircases. Classes are conducted upstairs & I'm not comfortable with the idea of climbing flight of stairs. Overprotective mommy
biggrin.gif

Simei has a branch too. Near Changi Simei CC

If my kids leave things on the living room floor, I will threaten to throw away. They will keep lor.
But must carry out your threat for this to be effective. Pick something inexpensive to demonstrate you mean business, not so heartpained
lol.gif

hi Lee Tai,

Your boy is born in Jul? Mine is in Jun.
If I also enrol my boy for the next yr's intake, there's a high possibility that they will become classmates
happy.gif

Similarly I also dunwan my boy to stay at home for too long. Most likely he will be stuck in front of the TV or climbing up and down all over the place. Want him to go school to pick up some social skills and to learn new things, which my mum may not be able to teach him if he stays with her.

As for the playgrp in Bedok CC, I did check out before. The admin staff I spoke to was quite impatient and rude. Hence have ruled out this school.

Hi Spagoh,

It depend u wan to put your child in 1&1/2 hrs prog or you wan to put your child to 1/2 or full day prog. I personlly prefer playgrp cos at this age children prompt to get sick easyly if stay too long in the sch.

yawn yawn
thanks for sharing.
think my in law won't agree to the environment as well...boys are equally active. think my boy will climb up and down...too dangerous.

my gal is in the changi simei cc childcare - Elfa.

ya, i have threw away her things before but its still the same...:-(
she will cry and pick them back when i am not around. hee...

Daphne
agree. my gal was sick very often when she entered cc at the age of 2.5 yo.

actually i want to place him in a playgroup but i have many constraints.
the 1st criteria, have to be near my in law place. easy for them to send and pick up. (otherwise no one can help)
but i cannot compromise if the sch is no good.
thus i am struggling... *scratch my head*

if enrol him together with her sis in the same cc, the expenses are very high...
have to take sch bus...just the sch bus for both alr cost $220.

hi carrie,

seems that your gal is enjoying herself in BLC nursery, which is good. went to view the school yesterday. notice the school is non-airconditioned. will it be very warm, esp if the children are attending the afternoon session? ya, manage to catch a glimpse of the teachers. dun find any smiles on their face, which hold me back a little.

Considering to put my boy in a playgroup before starting the pre-nursery next yr. Paid a vist to Winshire yesterday as recommended by some of the mummies in this thread. The classroom for the playgroup seems a bit small. Not very sure whether it can accommodate many students. The staircase is a bit steep and the facilities there seems a bit lacking. But think besides the facilities, the teacher plays a more impt role. Have not spoken to the teacher yet. What is the name of the teacher when your gal was with Winshire? Mayb I can call up to check whether she is still with the school. is really a headache in deciding schools for our kids. how come my parents never have this problem in the past??

Hi Carrie / Ringo

probably it is afternoon session and the teachers are a bit tired so no smile?

Not too sure are the teachers the same for morning and afternoon session.

Each time when I bring gal to school I always notice the smile on the teachers' face. It is my gal who has the attitude sometimes greet the teacher sometimes don't depend on her mood

Daphne
the sch are sucking us dry hor.

Jess yew
me too stay at bedok south ave 3 b4 married. which blk u at? I at blk 156. scully we are near.

spagoh
yur kid sound like mine. she had speech delay at 18 mth, doc refer to kkh but we deicde to let her take her time. after 1 year still no improve CC refer us again. She undergo 6 session of Speech therapy now on 3-6 mth review. waiting for doc refer to OT. heard the OT is good in training them true?
my girl cant sit still keep movign area in class teacher say she cant do work moe than 10 min.
till now in K1 she still cant recognise 3 letter word just single ABC, refuse to write etc.......
all these make us feel we should delay entry to P1 too... all her therapy and eye appt are straining our pocket and we have another younger girl sigh...

u sent yur kid to so far cc oso ah, i have the smae problem wif u. must find a locataion tat suit near my parent or PIl so that when emergency i can shout for help.

iwg26,
we went speech therapy cos sch & polyclinic refer. last time my girl refuse to speak at all. now speech better but certain word she still cant get it. her tonugue cant seem to co-ordinate. she tend to stick out the tongue when she speak certain word.
if u worries, can seek the sch teacher for advise. but the waiting Q in kkh is a killer.

ringo
where u stay?
i having headache too now. my girl centre just advise they gog to increase fee in May. The sch is very gd and we are very comfortable but the fee is a killer. they increase every year. gov give us more rebate but they taking all back left in right out what the point right
i tinking hard wat to do cos my younger joining soon too wif 2 and they increase again i sure cannt digest .
to be frank, i got no gut to try other cc

Hi ringo,

my gal is also in BLC, same class as carrie's gal. when my girl started sch in jan this yr, i also hv the same feeling that the teachers don't express their love so openly. but after a few visits to the sch to pick my gal and speak to the teachers, they are friendly. they are very open and introduce me to the rest of the children and tell me how my gal behave as compared to the rest of her classmates.

relatively, think blc is better than pap.

Hi Jess,

Dont even need to consider Stepping Stones at Bedok South, although my gals are there, but it's a terrible place with low quality teachers, high school fees and bad management! The last outbreakf of HFMD (>25kids got it) that requires compulsory 10 days closure, was due to failure to detect one kid having ulcers and running fever, as a result he stayed in school till afternoon and by then too late. I'm planning to withdraw my kids very soon.

hi wendy,

I'm staying at bedok south ave 2, just a road across from BLC. I agree on the part about the ever-increasing living cost. That's y my hb refuses to go for #2 despite the attractive babybonus. He always comments govt say increasing living cost is inevitable as is due to the inflation, but how come our salary increment never match up to the inflation rate?
kao_sad.gif

hi Lee Tai, Carrie and Shirley,
Are your kids all in the morning session at BLC? Heard from the principal the morning session is very popular among the students.

Ahhh... sorry to borrow here to rant...

Finding suitable house in Bedok is so difficult.

4XX series flat - 5 room is beyond our budget -Imagine is half a million dollars for that.

Don't really have much other 5 room flats (don't want Bedok reservoir).

Haiz... wanted to get a unit near MIL (Bedok north ave 1)... Probably been staying there about 9 years - kinda of use to the area....

wendypooh,
My ds is already a regular patient with ENT in KKH. Never ask doc about speech before maybe I should enquire on his next visit. So far, we have seen vast improvement on his hearing but just a bit concern whether his earlier year of hearing loss has any impact on his learning. Cos 1st 6 years are always the most crucial period for speech. So need to monitor him against his peers. But being year end child, may not be apple to apple comparison. And I do not want to stress him up. After his recent KKH visit, he has been asking me what the doctor said about his ears. Guess he's mature enough to understand & be concern now.

ringo
i also keep asking ppl tis qns, worst i work in a small firm direct report to bosses, of course they are wan to protect their pocket every year increase ment is so kelian. tis year freeze to make the ting worst. sigh.... I stay at blk 18x

yawn,
my girl is in First Classroom. I rem u visited them b4 right? Good as in small ratio and teacher feedback very often. Rem i mention their teaching method very advance till my gal cant catch up. Pro and cons some parent like so dun.
anyting such as fall, knock the teacher will call me immediate to report. i prefer playground within the sch compound.
all these make me stress up and have 2nd tot to switch, but the cost is killer.

iwg26
my gal oso dec kid, she can focus and eye tend to swirle out so now on regualr check up at kkh eye centre. ya u can speak to the doc and they cna do refer direct faster.

ringo

hi hi... yah my gal is in BLC, afternoon session... it might abit warm sometimes cos non aircon... but i ll prefer non aircon so the air circulation is better... kids dun get sick so easily... n their uniform is quite okay also... so nt warm afterall bah... morning session they haf slightly more classes, cos some parents prefer to train their kids for morning session next time for pri sch? (tats one of my gal's frend's mummy think) , n actualli morning also good, so they can haf more time in the afternoon taking nap, practice writing, playing n stuff... but bcos of my workin hours are retail hours... i opted for the afternn session, cos my gal usuali wait for me to come home. so sleep late.. so cant ask her to wake up too earli next morning.. or rather its me who dun wana to wake up earli.. haha
the teacher at winshire is teacher Ruby.. u can call up n ask bah..

wendypooh
my gal also on regular checkup at KKH eye department.. keke.. sakali we get to see each other ther? keke.. ur gal require any glasses? my gal is only 3+ n bcos of astigmatism, she has to wear glasses liao loh
sad.gif

jess
yoz.... so u are realli the jess tat i haf met huh... spore is reali small... bedok is also v small.. keke... so u back to work liao rite? decided to send ur kid to CC liao ah? how old is ur kid huh?
i had twins... my younger gal is no longer around since sep08.... perhaps got to change my nick soon?!") my gal is gg to b 4YO in nov...
free on 3rd march? do join us for the meet up leh....

Back