<b>St Joseph's Church Kindergarten incident</b>

yokine

My 6-year-old daughter was a student of St Joseph's Church Kindergarten along Upp Bt Timah Road.

On the 26th Nov '09, the school organised a holiday program - ice-skating at Kallang Ice World. At 11am, I received a call from one of the teachers, Ms Ho, saying my daughter was "pushed, fell, hurt her chin, and bleeding". She went on to say she had to call me as she needed instructions as to whether I wanted the teachers to send my daughter to a clinic downstairs, or to wait for me at the skating rink. According to Ms Ho, the wound was bleeding quite a fair bit, and will most probably require stitches. As I was not there to assess the injury, I based my decision on what she described and left instructions to have my daughter sent to the clinic immediately while I made my way to the venue. I requested through Ms Ho that the doctor call me before any procedures were done on my daughter. Our phone conversation ended with her acknowledgment of my request.

As I was caught in heavy traffic, I rang Kallang Ice World at 11.20am to find out if my daughter had been sent to the clinic and if there was any update on the situation. The staff of Kallang Ice World knew nothing and could not answer any of my queries. I asked to speak with Ms Ho. Shortly after, Ms Ho came on the line and reported that my daughter had not been sent to the clinic because they "did not have her particulars". She went on to say the bleeding "had stopped".

I arrived at Kallang Ice World at around 11.30am. Upon entering the premises, I noticed my daughter was sitting in the crowd by herself, with no teacher within her immediate vicinity. It was only when I approached that Ms Ho ushered me towards my daughter. When I neared, I observed her chin was still dripping blood! By my estimate, having been called at 11am by Ms Ho, that the accident must have happened some minutes prior, and as the present time was already 11.45am, my daughter would have bled for about an hour or more.

When I asked, none of the teachers had gauze or tissues with them, so I carried my daughter to the skate rental counter and requested some tissues. Upon my questioning, I was told by the counter staff that none of the staff at Kallang Ice World is first-aid trained.

The Principal of St Joseph's Church Kindergarten, Miss Angeline Wong, was at a distance and did not approach me. I went up to her and expressed my disappointment at how the whole thing was being handled, and how my daughter was not given due care. The very first thing Miss Wong said, and very quickly, was that my daughter "fell on her own." Miss Wong went on to say they applied antiseptic cream, but she could not explain when I asked why the bleeding was not stopped prior to applying the cream.

My daughter told me later, that in order to contact me, the teachers had to get my number from her, an injured, bleeding, scared, and freezing girl. Why did St Joseph's Church Kindergarten not have such important details in hand?

I have since written to St Joseph's Church Kindergarten with questions pertaining to the incident, most important of all - why my specific instruction to send my daughter to the clinic to stop the bleeding was not carried out, causing further trauma to my daughter who was freezing and in pain. It has been 2 months since, but the school has not addressed any of my concerns, nor answered any of my relevant questions, which included:-

1) Could there be a lapse in supervision at the skating venue since none of the teachers is able to give an accurate account of the accident? My daughter, with the help of her classmate, held the side of the rink and got out themselves to look for help, while Miss Angeline Wong and 2 other teachers were skating in the rink.

2) Why did the teachers not have the relevant student particulars on hand so that my daughter could have been taken to the clinic sooner? Was the information not given to the school for precisely such circumstances?

3) Why did the school teachers not bring along a first-aid kit? Did they assume there would be access to one at the venue? The reply I later received from the Management Committee of St Joseph's Church Kindergarten was that they did have a first-aid kit. But when I was there, they could NOT provide me with gauze, or even a band-aid.

4) Why was there no conscientious effort to ensure my daughter remained safe after the fall? When I arrived she was seated among the crowd of children, with her chin still bleeding. No constant pressure was applied to the wound until the bleeding stopped, and no adult accompanied her to monitor her condition and provide comfort during the wait.

5) In evaluating the venue for school activities, was it discovered that Kallang Ice World has no trained First-Aider? St Joseph's Church Kindergarten later replied that their teachers are St John's trained first-aiders. That adds more mystery to why the bleeding was not stopped. Or why my daughter was left to sit in the middle of the crowd even though she had an injury.

6) No matter whose fault it is, fact remains there is an injured child. Would common decency not dictate that as much care as possible be given to him/her? From what could be observed, there seems to be a lapse in care.

I have also channeled my queries to the Ministry of Education (Pre-school Department) but have come up short, as they say Kindergartens are privately run. MOE however has been most helpful in trying to mediate the matter.

Recent report has it that pre-school education will not be nationalised. I can understand the academic aspects of it but does it also mean that negligence of such nature, in my daughter's case, will not be subject to scrutiny of any authoritative body? Whom can we parents turn to under such circumstances in seeking recourse? I personally feel that the issue was badly handled by St Joseph's Church Kindergarten - be it the Principal or the teachers. And such action is unbefitting of an educator, much less someone who helms a pre-school institution where very young children are left in their care.

Notwithstanding signed consent and indemnity forms, the school does bear responsibility in due care and diligence. These should be extended and exercised to the maximum capability of the school and her staff, who assumes such responsibility by virtue of accepting enrollment of said child in the school and during school activities. In my observation of the sequence of events and the responses I have received from the Principal, I fear to conclude that insufficient care and help was rendered. The entire time my daughter sat waiting, she was in fact cold, in pain, bleeding, and hungry. The sandwich she brought with her was only half eaten, as the other half was soaked in blood from her dripping chin.

-------------------------------------------------

This is a real-life incident. Yes, appalling to hear a school acted in such manner and further refuse to take responsibility or even offer a word of apology. I have named the parties and school involved as this is, like I said, a real-life incident and I have a social responsibility to alert/inform/recommend all parents be more vigilant.

Forum topics of such nature generally turn into a flaming war. I have no such agenda - so please refrain from making any antagonistic remarks, and in any such case I will choose not to reply. This post aims to throw caution to parents who have school-going children. Please watch out for your kids and be aware of what schools are doing. If you have a kind word or would like to ask after my daughter, I greatly appreciate it.

Now lets all get back to what we were doing, quit thinking about a piece of bloody sandwich
happy.gif

Oh dear, my boy is attending St Joseph pre-nursey.

I am appalled by the lack of response from the school
sad.gif

omg..

i surely hope ur girl is alright.. mentally, emotionally and all.. it muz have been a very bad experience for her..

is she still in the school? or already grad from the school?

hi BBnGG,

yes the lack of response (or cold, at best) came as a rude shock.

All's well when well... but when accidents happen it suddenly comes to light how irresponsible some teachers and Principals alike can be.

Perhaps you would like to check with the good office that your particulars are updated and they do in fact have it, in the event you need to be contacted.

hi jessie,

thank you.. She's well now, though scarred. And she's staying a mile away from any rinks, it brings back some unpleasantness.

She has graduated from kindy and gone on to pri sch. Thank goodness!

its really sad to read ur story.
the school was terrible.
I am a teacher and number #1.
Always have the kids emergency contact persons number on you!
details or no details... arent these things they can just call and ask you to give them?

anyways u r def correct in pulling her out.

Accidents happen all the time, kids grow up and fall down all the time. Injuries are so common.
However, what action is taken is important. The school could have done so much more and made themselves look good and responsible.

Please do remember though... accidents and injuries in kids happens all the time, u shouldn't get upset with the school for these accidents. You should only get angry when the wrong action is taken like what happened in your case.

<3

Hi Nadia,

thanks for your note. Pardon me, but what is "number #1" ?

The principal of st joseph church kindy arranged for a meeting with me under the request of the Education Minister and MOE (pre-school dept) and we met up few days ago.

The chairman of St Joseph Church management committee failed to attend the meeting as arranged. Only the principal and a teacher sat in the meeting. The school has now decided to take another stand - now saying my daughter was NOT bleeding, and that my instruction was NOT to send her to the clinic.

In my first letter to the school asking for details, and putting forth what i saw on site, the school never once refuted the fact that my daughter was still bleeding when i arrived. When i asked why my daughter was not sent to the clinic as i instructed, the teacher said it was because they did not have my daughter's details. Is that not proof, that i had indeed asked my daughter to be sent to the clicnic??

The actions and words from the Principal and Ms Ho (the teacher) are disturbing and disgusting. To imagine this coming from educators.

It will be the school holidays soon and i suppose the school will organise excursions, if not activities in school. I urge all parents (whose kids attend St Joseph's Church Kindergarten) to think twice (or a trillion times...) before consenting to such activities. All's well when well, but if anything untoward should happen or if the kid requires special attention, you may not get the desired results.

Hi again
happy.gif

Number #1 = Always have the kids emergency contact persons number on you!

I am surprised the school played their cards this way.
One thing that is good to note for (God forbid) next time: TAKE PHOTO'S!!!
It is proof and you can always keep and show them in such situations as their denial.

I wish you all the best in ur situation!

oh dear... i was shock to hear your incident.... NO WAY will send my kids to this school

hope your girl have fully recovered from this, i feel that even a bystander will come and help this little girl if anyone sees a injured child like her......poor girl bleeding, hungry and cold (i cannot believe this!)

oh my goodness! it's really terrible of them to change their stand! well it's really obvious that they're just trying to cover their own ass i must say!

Hi mummies,

It is indeed saddening to learn that our children are under such hands when in school.

I would like to share my experience. My child is in a reputable kindergarten and I must say, one of the most popular kindergarten in Novena area. Sadly, when my child fell in class and cut her lips, neither did the teacher inform me immediately, they did not even bother to apply any ice pack. Instead, they reprimanded her and blamed it on her.

There is no point blaming anyone. Accidents do happen, but if the teacher has passion in teaching and handling children, your child will be in good hands. If teachers are not up to standard, our kids are in poor hands.

I can fully understand how yokine feels. It is maddening that every school principal wants to protect their teachers and staff. Sadly, in the course of doing so, they DENY and LIE, just to protect the school.

However, they do not realise that they are jeopardising their integrity and honesty. This is creating a conflict - arent teachers and principals our children's role model as well?

Bottomline: School program is fixed - teachers are not. It is just a matter of luck whether or not our child get good teachers. If a teacher has passion, your child will enjoy their classes and any incidents will be well managed.

Hi collectionz,

Mind sharing with me which pre-school your child is at? My child is also in a pre-school around Novena area and I have had my share of the principal lying thru her teeth.

Sorry yokine, for threading on your post.

I emphatise your daughter's situation. thank god she's out of there already.

hi collectionz,

thanks for replying.

it's really saddening to see principals covering up for the teachers.

hope all is going well with your daughter now.

most of the time the school will cover up. Last week, my nephew was challenge by the teacher for a fight, when complain to the principal, he say the teacher have being counselled. I wonder what kind of teahers are in our school nowasday

Yes Madeline, you brought up a good point. The teacher quality is getting bad. They seem to lack passion in teaching.

The only thing is that if we switch kindy, its our child who suffers as they have to re-adapt to the new environment.
sad.gif

A big hearty thank you! for all the concern
happy.gif

co11ectionz, i'm now in awe... how can such people be allowed to join the teaching profession? I remember back during my days teachers were alot more passionate about their job. Yes we were scolded, had chalks thrown in our faces, even caned. But there was alot more love and when the need arose, the teachers definitely rise to the occasion as well.

bbwow, no worries about discussing other schools on my thread. In fact we should group together and put up all the injustice our beloved kids have suffered under the roof and rules of these heartless teachers!

We must all stand up and not be intimidated. We are our children's voice. They deserve our protection and care. We don't treat them like objects and no one is allowed to. I sent my kids for the education, not to be traumatised. If i let live, the school will wipe their brows and be relieved another mother has just given up. And they can continue to be negligent and do their jobs half-heartedly.

Read the papers couple of days ago about the Japanese schools? The teachers have to do the parents' laundry and everything the parents demand, and treat the kids like kings and queens!! A parent kicked a huge fuss cos the kid was placed next to a tall kid in the class photo and it just didn't turn out nice. I wanna send my kids there!!! This may be extreme, but yes we should fight to regain a certain standard in our pre-schools. Many a times i've heard how parents had to grit their teeth and put up with unreasonable kindys, or worse transfer their kids. But what if the next kindy is not any better? What if you are just jumping from frying pan into fire?? When will they ever pull up their socks when us parents do not fight for our kids?

I am not instigating anything. I am saying if your kid has suffered in the hands of the teacher/principal, don't walk off meekly.

That said, my daughter has already graduated and gone on to pri sch. The piece of bloodied sandwich is still vivid in my memory. No the teacher and principal have not done anything criminal. But they certainly have not fulfilled their duties, and have gone all the way to lie in their own defense. Would you send your kids to such a school??

Yes, there is no guarantee that the next kindy we move our kids to will not have such teachers, needless to the change in environment that the child has to face.

My child's teacher can even mark their activity sheets all right, with stars and remarks like well done and excellent when the answers are wrong! This implies they just mark blindly
sad.gif

Honestly, I am very tired of bringing up issues and highlighting to them as each time I or other parents do, they just push the blame to the kids. Very maddening and saddening. I wonder if MOE can step in.

Contradictory, the principal himself has 3 sons.
sad.gif

no offense intended
proud.gif

generally, i think nowadays, kids are not easy to handle.
Although i muz admit they are smarter than our generation
but they are also getting tougher to handle!!

previously, a teacher may be able to handle many students at a time
becas the kids dont dare to misbehave or go against teacher

but now, i tink you may need more than a
teacher to even look after a handful of 4kids

honestly, with the mere income - not only do teachers are
subjected to kids 'nonsense' but also parents feedback.

i send my boy to pre-school.
but becas in his class, there are some very mischevious and playful kids -
that's why, they get more attention and thus, at times, affect what the teachers were meant to teach

based on my observance can i really blame the
teachers should they not complete the syllabus?

Are or have the teachers been trained to handle difficult kids?

I think most probably, they also do trial n error method when it comes to handling kids
- like how it is like when we become 1st time parents

ideally, teachers must have passion and compassion but looking at our little ones,
i think the most difficult job is being a teacher

that being said - principles are of different levels.
If they dont lead or are irresponsible, how can you expect
teachers to be motivated and passionate about their job

just to divert..

i recently caught a repeat telecast in the morning on channel U about a lady making beautiful cakes - wedding or birthday.

i only caught part of it, the part she drove a honda fit to make delivery.

Anyone has any idea of her contact? Thanks!

I was browsing for maid related issue and this treads caught my interest. Well, as MOE mentioned this kindergarden is privately run and so they could not do much. But I believed MOE can also used what MOM has done to regulate maid agency quality. They have a statistic to track for each agency on the maid that have work for > 1 year. Maid agency with low rating usually has frequent maid replacement. So, MOE can also do a statistic of similar way to track incident feedback from parents on a particular school and rating can be given on how the school handle the issue.

I hope your daughter has probably forgotten the unpleasant memory.

Hi Yokine,

I am also quite fearful when sending my child to pre-sch like kindergaten. Seems like MOE does not have much control over them unlike Pri sch and sec sch. I always hope nothing bad will happen to my child. And yes, principal does cover up for the teachers, else she has to deal with the turnover rate.
Sometimes I feel kindergartens should have cctvs so that if something happens, we can check the video, a very wild thought! The children are so young and vulberable, not all can relate properly what has happen, and when parents ask too much, they are labelled as MR/Mrs PARANOID!

I cannot understand why my father could easily chatted with my vice-principal and kindergarten principal back in the old times!

If my child has sch outings, I will mostly forbid it. I saw some kindegarten kids about 3 years old in school trip at the zoo, they look so poor thing with sweat all over and have to carry their own water bottles.

NOw, if I want to talk to the principal, I'd better prepare a speech! And shout loudly if I want to get hold of the teacher walking back to the school after class dismissal, as parents are not allowed into the school.

And despite this kindy seems not bad, I have also put my child in waiting list at other kindy, just in case it fails my child which I think the chance is 50-50...

Hi Cherrie,

If your child is happy going to school, then try not to change as a change in environment will affect your child. Just my thought.

honestly, i dun think MOE can step in..
like what MOE says, it is not under them.. you can try posing such incident to the press or forum to raise awareness.. to give the school pressure to step up.. or their reputation will suffer as a result of their lack of action

As a (MOE) teacher myself, it is actually part of the teacher's duty to get parent's consent and particulars BEFORE any outing.

the teacher is responsible for seeking clearance from the parents/guardian if consent form did not come in.

during the trip, the teacher must bring along the parents/guardian/NOK contact details in case anything happen.

yokine, thank u for sharing.. will look out for such report next time i sign up my kid for nursery.

Hi yokine,

Horrified to read your post.

Pre-school / Childcare is under MCYS rite ? There are strict guidelines regarding child safety when going for excursion.

Hi, Yokine

Me too,very sad when read your post.The principal and the teacher, Ms Ho at St Joseph's Church Kindergarten are not qualify to become a teacher. I feel to punch them when read your post. Nowsaday, most of the childcare centre or kindergarden just want to earn money and they forget the quality of teaching.

Im currently busy looking for a good childcare ard Singapore Poly to enrol my 4years old boy.I want to enrol him at the kinderland at SP but after read some comments in the forum, i feel worries...

Mummies, any good recommendations ard Singapore Poly or CCK area? Can we spot check the childcare center anytime? thx.

Why the MOE dont want to nationalise the Childcare centre or kindergarden? Parents dont know how's the standard and teacher qualities in the childcare centre or kindergarden. I believe most of the parents are like me, worry and dont know whether our kids are doing fine in the cc. all depend on lucks..See more and more Childcare centre in Singapore, more and more worries i am....

My child is studying in St Joseph too. Very sad to learn of this unhappy incident that reflected how bad the school mangement is.

Something to add on about the school. Has also noticed that the school's toilet for the kids are in a terrible state. Very smelly and wet with black tiles with no toilet papers installed in each cubicle. It's equivalent to a kopitiam toilet. The poor kids have been suffering in silence as they do not know who to say it too. My child would come back from school telling me that she does not like to go to the school's toilet as it's very dirty and smelly. The school only engage the cleaner to clean the toilet after the school finishes and not after each session eg. after morning session. Thus the afternoon session kids will suffer even more.

I've emailed the principal regarding my concern however, the situation is still bad. Now they have installed mat in the toilet to cover up the dirty looking black tiles, however, the mat they installed is not those water permeable kind, but those mat which water will not seep through, that looks exactly like car mat!..my goodness! wat a lousy choice! The cleaners looked like blangadesh whom i think are not properly trained. Poor kids!...I've happened to see the teachers' toilet and it's like heaven and hell as compared to the kids' toilet.

Anyone out there knows if I can reflect to mcys or MOE to report on this toilet cleanliness issue in Kindergarten??

Hi Yokine, Im sorry to read what happened to your kid. Actually I saw ur post quite sometimes ago but I thou, that was so long ago, they might have improve, so put both of my girls there last year. It was a very bad moved. I am so regret by not ‘listening’ to you.

First of all, the principle (Ms Wong) is not helpful, not friendly, not flexible, defensive and I find her very 'money face'. She does not have passion toward children. The sch didn’t give any home work, no spelling, no worksheet... Totally NOT academic. I am very sure my children gng to suffer when they go to Pri 1. Altou the sch look cozy, big and nice but if I were you, I’ll definitely say NO!

Currently my dd1 is studying K2 so it's not choice to switch her out . In order to prepare her for Pri 1, I'm sending her to attend extra classes. Poor gal... She supposes to learn those in sch. For my dd2, she's K1 this yr. I'm thinking of chging her to another sch. Haiz... Regret BIG TIME.

Thanks for sharing all these. Ear (eye?) opener indeed!

I wouldn't have known if you ladies didn't share.. wow..... used to think that this Kindy was one of the tip tops. Guess "was" is the word...

Back