Autistic children - Share your experiences here.

Yvonne
How much is a session for neuro rewiring? what does it entails?

Momto3
So AAS allow your boy to start the therapy before he is confirmed? So just go to AAS and sign up will do?

Anyway, I am in dilemma now. On one hand, I want work life balance, even thinking of working part-time to spend more time with my children. But I may have this job opportunity that is too good to be missed interms of money and prospect and I have been wanting to change a work environment. But I know this new place will be very challenging as it is totally new to me, it will be a steep learning curve for me. I may not get the job yet but what if I do, should I take it? I thought if I can earn more money, we can afford more therapy sessions for my boy if he is really certified to be autistic but it could mean he will be facing a stressful mummy everyday. What will you mummies do if you are me?

Hi yvonne, did john yeo did the neurowiring with your boy? Need to watch vcd/ dvd cartoon show one? Mine cant do it at spectrum so i hv to wait to try at arc or with lorelle, after her confinement 

My work is also stressful and i hv 3 kids. But if stay hm, then not enough $$$ to gv him more therapy. If im you, i will stay with my current job as not so easy to take leave with new boss 

Hi Adeline! Yes, it was John. He mentioned that there are variations to the therapy, some requiring the kid to read and all but the one he conducts uses either a clip he has which put my son to sleep or a suitable VCD/ DVD of our own.

Hi Srumpee! Each session at ARC cost $40 to $50 dollars, depending on the number u sign up for. You kid will be wired up (not intrusive) and asked to watch a show for half an hour.When the particular part of his brain switches off, the movie slows down or stalls. The portion of the brain will automatically reconnect to get the movie going again. Over time the parts of the brain not wired properly should get connected. It'd really help if your kid has a fave VCD/ DVD which will not get him too excited and also contains some dialogue. It might be difficult in the beginning if the kid has problems staying in the seat cos the wires can't accommodate someone walking around. Think that's the only prerequisite to fulfil.

Scrumpee,

No, you cant walk-in to AAS, you needed to consult the KKH's Children Dev Unit pd (I am not sure abt pte pd) then from there, we applied and the waiting time for AAS is 9 - 12 mths
happy.gif

Srumpee,

Yes, the waiting time for the early intervention centre is long
sad.gif
cuz not enough manpower ..... not everyone wants to be a SN teacher
sad.gif

Hi scrumpee, so had you read the books?

Hi yvonne, tks! My boy hates the clip n hence cant do neurowiring! Wat else can i do for my poor boy? Seen doc at cdu today.... Doc said only little progress as compared to last may. She told me to prepare him fir special school.  cant help but feeling down today

Adeline,

maybe you get his fav dvds that he watches at home and try it out at the neuro-wiring pl? what kind of special schools that the doc mean ? those early intervention centres etc ? dun feel sad .......

Mommies,

Thanks for all the straw-drinking suggestions
happy.gif
my boy has finally drinking from straws..... perseverance pays
happy.gif
sometimes he will ask for milk bottle when he sees one, n of cse we WONT give him .......

Adeline, big hug to u. Then quickly find one sch for your boy so that he can get the appropriate education asap.

I went to kkh's orientation on the Hanen program today. Decided to sign up to complement the private ST. Lots of Money and effort committed. I really hope my boy will truly benefit n show improvement soon. The day he starts talking will be the happiest day in my life.

Today also brought my boy to a birthday party, again he is better. Went into the function room willingly, went to explore the place a little, know how to snatch toys n pass toys to other kid when told.

Oh..my son just bit off his munchkin straw on fri :/. , have to change a bottle for him. Btw, can any of your kid drink from cup? My boy still can't drink well from cup

Hi momto3, my son does not hv any fav dvd/cartoon character. The doc meant my son most probably will enter special education school like minds! Thats why i was quite depress yesterday n today. Called my mum n i cried over the phone. Paiseh to make her worry

Hi scrumpee, im with kkh too but they did not refer me hanen prog! Do u noe who can i talk to?

Adeline,

I see, did she tell you why your boy should attend Minds instead of those asd's intervention schools ? I think it is ok to let out our concern to someone, we cant bottled up everything ourselves, when I 1st discovered that my son is ASD (from pd's guess), I was down n nearly fall in depression
sad.gif
(that time my youngest dotter is 2 mths old) take care, you have a little one to take care too.....

Hi Adeline
big hug to u too... maybe u can look at eden school. it is for autism children who can't go into pathlight. ie from 6 or 7 yrs onwards. from ARC then go eden..see website http://www.edenschool.edu.sg/aboutus/mission.php
mine also don't hv fav cartoon character cos he didn't watch cartoons then. how about borrowing DVD that has his obsessions? eg my son love to watch national geographic/informatory programme cos he loves anything with fishes...

yes momto3, n u can see all related schools in the websites. but they cover different curriculum with different admission criterias too.

Adeline and momto3
No one will understand how we feel. So helpless and wonder why our precious kids have to suffer. When I first suspect that my boy could be autistic, I also cried buckets. Called my sis (cos I don't want to upset my mum) and cried so badly over the phone. And this does not include the numerous crying sessions I had in front of my husband.

Although my son has made improvement in terms of social interaction after going cc for two weeks (yesterday, he voluntarily went to hug a auntie whom he knew for barely 1 hour. We told the auntie that she will strike lottery soon. haha), there is still no sign of him talking. I can see that he is trying to vocalise his thoughts but is unable to and it pains me.

And finally, I can bring my son to meet his private ST on Wed.

Lets all work hard and stay positive ( I have to learn that) for the sake of our precious children. Jia you!

Hi scrumpee, momto3, yvonne, yee and all mummies here,

Thanks, im feeling better today. No one knows how we feel ... I agreed 101%. Of course i pray for the better but as days go by, i get worrier and worrier  . .... Maybe due to post natal stress, i cry much easlier these days . Pls pardon me ok. Lucky i hv you mummies as support ...

Anyone of your kid went for brain gym or cranial sacral therapy?

Hi Yvonne,

Could you pls give me the contact of ARC. It seems cheaper than Spectrum Learning. 16 sessions cost around $800+ for half an hour.

Yvonne, i just sms arc's contact to yee. Fyi.

Yee, so happy that lance will graduate fm divinity by end tis year! Hope my boy catch up soon as well 

Hi Mummies
i was reading thr my diary abt my son that i only manage to write for half a year when he was about 3.75 yo to 4.25 yo.. i realise it was pretty difficult then. some issues he faced then was he wanted to play with his cousin jie jie yet don't know how. n only know how 'irritate' her to get her attention. the cousin was a kind hearted girl who was only 8 yo n really don't know how to play with him n of coz truly reluctant to play with him cos he only 'bully' her.. the situations improved after we introduce games for them to play together. and other issues we faced then was the nap time, refuse to poo outside the house, vomit easily, cry easily, very bad separtion anxiety even at ARC, terrible tantrums, could not tell us anything when we asked him, bite his bb bro.new nursery school..could not participate in gym class etc.. most of these issues slowly resolved as times passes.. but parenting is really a very tough job. with normal children, we want them to excel.. with our sn kid, we want them to be as normal as possible. i wrote in my diary a para from a autistic adult: [Some autistic adults have said they enjoyed school, although they do seem to be in the minority. The big thing to realize is that it is more important that your child live up to his potential and enjoy his life than it is for him to be "normal." A good school will realize that intelligence and autism are not linked, and will give a quality education to an autistic student. You aren't limiting his potential by "failing" to mainstream him or by "failing" to give him "special" help - what is most important is that he be valued by others wherever he is!]
another quote that i keep on reminding myself:[
My main way of pursuing my interests is to work. When I was a child, I learned (through teasing and humiliation) that it was much better to do "normal" things then to pursue my interests. But as an adult, I'm actually rewarded for my interests. I get paid to pursue them.] I lost the link to his website; if i'm not wrong, he is earning good money by being IT engineer.

Thanks tam! My moods always get lifted after reading posting here. Perhaps i shld start jotting down the progress of my lovely boy as well.......

yah, I think I should jolt down my son's progress too.

Anyway, update on him. Brought him to see his ST yesterday. He was responsive and interact well. So ST says he don't look autistic at all, which is a great relief for me. Right now, we have to work on his consonants which he had none. So every Wed morning, my son will be go for his ST. The ST is very pro and friendly but expensive as she is a senior ST. First visit is $180, subsequent visit is $160. Big hole in pocket liao, but luckily can pay by CDA account.

The ST also recommended my boy to attend once a week of Monterssori since my current CC is not so focus on academic. So now, this is my new project, find a suitable monterssori for him which he can attend once a week.

Adeline
Just sign up for Rainbow first, reserve a slot.

Hi all mummies.. .I'm not a mother. but a person who have worked with children with special needs. and I definitely cant feel what all the mothers are going through. It's heartening sometimes but still very proud of the children with small progresses.
happy.gif
Dont give up. jia you jiayou!!!! :D

Hi Zyzin05,

Since you are working with children with special needs, any recommendation for the kid to respond well when calling & have good eye contact?

Thanks to advise.

hmmm, im not an expert, nor have i worked with children with autism for very very long.

from my experience. it depends.

for a child to respond to their name, they must be able to associate the name to themself. and often, pictures does help alot when u want to get their attention. and also things to be considering, what were they doing when u call them? responding and having good eye contact, it has to be trained consistently.

is ur child attending early intervention?

Yes, he attended early intervention.

Usually when he watching TV or playing toys, I have to call him 4 or 5 times then he will respond.Outdoor environment the responding better than at home, maybe once or twice will respond alry.

When I hold his face to look at me, sometimes he will avoid. But, showing the food or object that he like or interested he will look at me.

hi, perhaps he's enjoying the tv show or toys thats y he only responds after 4-5 times. but again, this is my assumption. u still have to observe, or get help from the teacher. at least the teacher has worked with him.

and one more thing, he may be already used to you calling 4-5 times before he responds, so that is another area of concern.

anything, just highlight to the teacher, get help from them. cos they have worked with ur child, with some understanding, they may be able to relate what u experience at home better.

hope that helps.
happy.gif
jiayou!

Hi scrumpee,  Huh!!! Writing test? Wah... So tough to get the job.

maybe mummies here can have a get together session someday.....

Yup, good to have a meet-up session so we can share on the interventions route we have taken
happy.gif
and which one works
happy.gif

Hi Srumpee! OT identified his weak areas physically. Some of the things he did in the beginning was to put him on a huge swing, made him crawl through tunnels, climb obstacle courses. These are meant to help build his muscle tone, balance and some sensory issues. With time, the kid will be more able to stay put instead of running around. Was told one of the reasons he couldn't sit properly for long was cos his weak muscle tone. Now, the OT's working more in other areas like colouring, drawing, writing to prep him for school. Again cos of his weak muscle tone, my boy's got problems coloring like a regular kid. We had to start with markers and crayons before moving onto pencils, which takes more effort. Some stuff I've been recommended to buy at home are trampoline, swing, a sensory seating pad, crawling tunnel and play ladder. You can also make up your games like sticking numbers on the floor and instructing the kid to run and "touch 1 then 2" for example. This is supposed to train their auditory skills as well. Actually, quite a lot of the stuff done at OT can be done by ourselves at home, but, you might need the help of a trained OT to help you identify the areas your kid needs help in.

Hi Mummies! Just wanted to share with you guys about this place called "Believe NJ Cafe" (you can google it to get more info). It's a cafe which only takes in Autistic and down syndrome people. The youths are at least 16 or 17 and they do everything from food prep to serving to cashiering. I know most of our kids are a lot younger, but it's nice to know there are avenues to help them lead normal lives. With more people in contact with Autism today there seems to be more done to help those with SN integrate into mainstream. Hopefully, things will get easier for our little darlings when they grow up!

Yvonne,

Thanks
happy.gif
I hope that my son can make his own living n not dependant on his siblings
happy.gif
as we couldnt outlive him for sure ......

Hi Adeline! The OT suggested things for me to get over time, as and when we found a problem with my son, so the stuff were accumulated over a couple of months. U can find the items all over like toys r us, ikea, toy shops, depending on what u are looking for. One thing I'v learnt is that playgrounds have most of the stuff and they are free. So, one of our fave passtime is to go to 2 to 3 suitable playgrounds and let him play there. Over time, it'd also allow the kid to practice social skills cos there'd be other "normal" kids who are friendly enough to try interacting with the rest.

Back