ASD Assessment

LynzieNaimz

Hi all.. my lil one has been recommended to go for the ASD assessment by CDU NUH and we will be going for the parent's interview in Apr. I would like to know more of what to expect for the assessment and appreciate inputs from parents who have gone thru this experience.

My lil one is turning 6 this year. He has been attending childcare since he was 4 years old. Last year, he was recommended by Circle of Care, a group who comes to the school to monitor the students, to go for further assessment as he lacks in social skills and speech on top of not making eye contact. So we went ahead the long route of getting a referral from polyclinic. The doctor at CDU NUH assessed him with global development delay. In Jan this year, he started with speech therapy, occupational therapy and Learning Support Programme and is still ongoing. Last week, he was assessed by SPD Jurong and hopefully will be starting EIPIC classes in Apr.

Yesterday during the follow-up doctor appointment's with CDU NUH, a different doctor (as the previous one was on maternity leave) recommended for the ASD assessment as during the brief interaction with my lil one as well as notes taken by the therapists, he is still not making eye contact and seems lacking in social skills. I know this ASD assessment will be useful to aid us in deciding what will be best for him later on.

I am hopeful that with the EIPIC classes, he will eventually pick up skills that he is lacking now. Concern is whether he should defer his P1 next year or maybe be suitable for SPED.

He is the youngest of 4 siblings. My other children are 16+, 14 and 12+. We thot that he was developing well. Maybe due to the age gap with the other siblings, he might be engaged in his own activity more. Only mistake was that he was exposed to mobile gadget since young and that could be one of the factors for his delays. We have been making changes to his routine, less screen time esp with tablets. We are playing more with him. Academically, he is teachable. He dislikes writing thou. He doesn't display the traits of autism like what the doctors and therapist have been asking like repetitive routine or playing of toys, flapping of hands, self beating or violence and throwing tantrums.

There are so much that I would like to find out more on but maybe for a start, it will be helpful if anyone can share about the ASD assessment and what to expect after that. Anyone who has defer their child's P1 or went ahead to let their child enter mainstream school and why.

Thanks in advance!

Back