Anyone with PUPPP??

rozanahk

Hi, been trying to search in the forum if anyone has any ongoing threads on PUPPP. I'm only 23wks along but hv PUPPP since ard 20wks. This is my 3rd pregnancy but the 1st time i have had this experience. Very very miserable now with the itch. My skinaround the tummy has a stinging sensation too. How to endure till 40wks??

Last two weeks of my pregnancy i had them, & it was the most unbearable itch EVER..

just avoid hot showers, smother tummy with cooling aloe gel, stay in cool aircon places (ans dont do much fr my itch), & try as hard as you could to not scratch them.
the more you scratch the more it flares up.

some mommies use oatmeal bath. you can diy or robinson at somerset they do sell em oatmeal bath thing at kids department

Oh i wish i hv this only towards the end of my pregnancy buy i'm only 23weeks. It's unbearable! At my wits end. Tried aloe, moisturiser, coconut oil ... nthg's helping! Nowadays my tummy's skin stings after shower or when i apply anythg on.

I came across your post and wanted to share my experience with you. I am in the Unite States but understand how desperate you can be when you have PUPPPS...
My OB said I had the WORST case of PUPPPS she has ever seen in her practice, along with many of the nurses who assisted me as well.

Today my only child, my son Kayden, is 1. I had a wonderful pregnancy up until about 35 weeks. I only had 2 stretch marks until this point, minor heartburn and only threw up 1 time!

One morning I woke up to an ungodly itchy stomach. There were now more stretch marks and inside of them, little hive looking things that ITCHED beyond control! In a matter of 48 hours, this rash spread all over my body, except for my face and neck, which it never ended up affecting. I now had a VERY hard time sleeping, if I slept at all. I tried EVERYTHING you could think of: lotions, creams, topical steroid creams, oatmeal baths, cold compresses, sprays, and even went to a Dermatologist, who ended up doing a biopsy of one of my hive thingys on my wrist. (BTW, there is NO test specifically for PUPPPS. They only test it to rule out anything else it could be).

**THE ONLY THING I FOUND TO REALLY HELP WAS A COLD WET TOWEL TO PUT ACROSS WHATEVER AREA ITCHED MOST AT THAT TIME!**

Yes, water dries the skin out, but when you have a REAL case of PUPPPS, you will do anything to make it stop! I itched so badly when I did sleep, I would wake up with blood on my fingers and under my nails. I ended up wearing socks on my hands to bed to help with that.

I went about two and half/three more weeks like this. I was 37 weeks and 2 days when I was beyond tired, frustrated and DONE with being pregnant and this rash! I went to the after-hours care center at my OB's office to ask if there was ANYTHING they could do for me. Unfortunately, there was not. They checked on baby and he was fine. One of the nurses in the center told me she also had the rash, but not nearly as bad as mine. Her doctor explained to her that this rash is more or less your body having an allergic reaction to your babies DNA. Which, I've never heard from anyone else or read anywhere, but it made sense to me. Why does it start in your stomach? That's where your baby is, and that is where your body is first affected - at the source of the culprit! Then the rash spreads from there. My OB told me the ONLY way to get rid of the rash is to DELIVER your baby! This is why the allergic reaction theory made more sense to me. Once the baby is out, it goes away. (Like any other allergic reaction, if you swallow a peanut, your throat and tongue swells, after time it eventually goes down -hopefully! I am just speaking hypothetically, lol). Even after delivering your baby, it varies from person to person as to how long it will take to actually disappear.

So, that night I went home and the on call doctor in the after-hours center made me an appointment with my OB the next day. I walked into my OB's office and she could see all the symptoms- scratched up arms, belly, the exhaustion, frustration and desperation to make this disappear ASAP no matter what I had to do. I did read that some OB's will induce you pending the severity of your case. My doctor flat out verbatim told me that their policy is to NOT induce before 39 weeks unless there is an imminent medical reason to do so, and she believed my case was MORE than that. She offered to induce me right there and then! My husband and I agreed to come back in a couple hours after packing bags, making arrangements for our dog and with work, etc...Around 6:30pm we went back and started the induction process at 38 weeks and 3 days. I didn't sleep for 4 solid days before having my son the next day at 38 weeks and 4 days. I delivered a very happy and healthy baby boy at 7lbs 11oz, 18.5 inches long at 6:31pm that night! My rash ended up SLOWLY going away about a week after having my son and it took about 1 month for it to completely clear up! THANK GOD IT’S GONE! I’ve also been told that majority of people who will have PUPPPS will get it in their first pregnancy (majority of the time will be when you are having a boy), but never say never right! Also, that once you have had it, the likelihood of you ever getting it again and almost 0%. I've never been aware of anyone getting PUPPPS eariler then about 30 weeks. A lot of times, people think it is PUPPPS but turns out to be some other type of rash/condition. I’ve never heard or read about ANYONE having it more than once! I don’t know how anyone would be able to handle that without going insane!

PUPPPS is the WORST thing I have ever experienced in my lifetime! I was 26 when I had my son. Being a Police Officer, I have been tased and pepper sprayed - being a horse owner, I've been stepped on, kicked, bitten and thrown off many times, and even getting an epidural and giving birth to my child ALL PUT TOGETHER DOES NOT COMPARE to the HE*L you go through when you have PUPPPS!

I remember reading and reading and watching YouTube videos and waiting for responses on forums and trying to talk to different doctors with really no help in the end. Reading others experiences is really the only way to get through this time! I am no medical professional, but I have experience in this topic and will help in ANY way I can!! If theres anything I can clarify for you or try to answer, I will! Good luck, I hope the best for you and for your pain to end SOON!

I had it starting in the 20+ weeks of my pregnancy too and it subsided during the 30+ weeks. For me, pinetarsol solution and qv cream gave me some relief and later i tried grandpa pine tar soap which helps a lot too.

Hi Randi0325,

Thanks for sharing your account! I've been trawling the Net too to read up and have come across other women's accounts. A handful got puppp early in pregnancy (like me) and some had recurring puppp for as many as 3 pregnancies! This is my 3rd pregnancy and my other 2 have never been like this. I didnt even k o what this condition is till I got it.

Had my 1st consultation with the derma today. He said yes highly likely it's puppp. Prescribed me some antihistamine tablets and steroid cream. Also gave me a course of antibiotics which he said is safe for pregnancy. But i'm still reluctant abt the antibiotics part. Ordered me to moisturise x100 and not to scratch (like how is that possible with this terrible itch???). I hardly slept last night cos i was itching all over.

Honestly, can't imagine if i hv to go through this for the rrmaining 16wks! I just wished there can be an immediate relief for the itch. Now my skin also feels very prickly/stinging. Doc said it's cos of microscopic broken skin from my scratching. Just showering can induce the unbearable stinging sensation! And now my skin feels rather 'raw'. Whatever i wear, just a slight rub against my skin makes me cringe. I wish i cld be 36weeks or more at this stage so baby can be delivered but alas!

I've started to shower with grandpa's pine tar soap. Am hoping it will work its miracle. ..

I had it starting in the 20+ weeks of my pregnancy too and it subsided during the 30+ weeks. For me, pinetarsol solution and qv cream gave me some relief and later i tried grandpa pine tar soap which helps a lot too.
Did u get your grandpa's soap online?

I itch all over too!

Starting frm tummy then now thigh arms legs

I am now week 34... Don tell me I got to endure till week 40... 6 more weeks

Yup, mine started from tummy and spread to thighs and arms too. For me it started at 20+ wks, went off and came back at 30+ wks. So i think it depends on individual?

Try not to scratch (i know it's hard as i woke up at night with blood in my nails) as they leave scars for my case, now few mths after delivery but the marks are still there...

Yup, mine started from tummy and spread to thighs and arms too. For me it started at 20+ wks, went off and came back at 30+ wks. So i think it depends on individual?

Try not to scratch (i know it's hard as i woke up at night with blood in my nails) as they leave scars for my case, now few mths after delivery but the marks are still there...

Then did u see ur gynae that time n wats her advice and medication?

Yup i did. Gynae mentioned it will go away after delivery and prescribed steroid cream which he said to be safe but i didnt really use.
Also, he mentioned to change to use milder soap like cetaphil, etc.
If you are looking to change ur soap, try pinetarsol solution or grandpa pine tar soap, both helps to lessen the itch for me. Pinetarsol can be found in pharmacy here.

I have the same problem too once hit in 3rd trimester. All over my belly, so itchy especially during hot days and midnight. Sometimes they look like red pimples, so scary. I changed my shower gel to Cetaphil and apply with Aloe Vera few times a day. At least it helps to bring down the itchiness. And I stop taking hot shower. Try not to scratch it as it will leave ugly stretch mark, I pinch or tap it if I feel itchy. I know how torture it is, I do!

I have the same problem at week 33+ too. Went to my gyn and given this Gentrisone cream to apply. On top of apply that cream, i tried to use calamol lotion to cleanse it over first and it works better for me though.

Back