Anyone has feedback on Thinkers Box program?

hwtan

Hi

My wife has been struggling with our girl for some time.
She is in Primary 2 this year and we can see she is struggling with English, Maths and Chinese.

We have tried:
- Sending her to PSLE maths tuition classes (the teacher there says she is de-motivated because some other children in the class say, "har this type of sum you also cannot do"
- Sending her to Berries to beef up her Chinese once a week
- Giving he a one-on-one tutor in English once a week

This, on top of my wife's nightly coaching to her to go through homework and school spelling, tests, etc.

This week, before her Primary 2 final exam (which is next week), she came home with a 27/100 score for Maths and a similar low score for other subjects.

She tells us she wants to try to do well like her other friends, but is very demoralized she cannot.

My girl has an older brother, he's doing ok, average in school. She has a younger brother who is learning quite ok too.

It is not like she is totally 'off' in school - she says she wants to learn, interacts ok with friends, but is very 'borderline or just going to fail' kind of grade in her schoolwork.

We are at our wits' end and I sense we are going to break down soon from this pressure.

My questions:

1. Anyone has any suggestions on tutors / programs that can help my girl? I suspect tutoring more and more won't help as I think her confidence level is very low. Should we send her for some behavioural assessment or learning ability test, etc.?

2. We have heard of "Thinkers Box" which does a cognitive assessment, then has a 10 month program to help improve concentration / comprehension, etc. Does any know if this program is any good and whether it is recommended for someone like my daughter?

3. I am also worried about learning problems, e.g. inability to comprehend, analyze and think through problems. In general, my girl is very baby-ish, playing with Mickey Mouse, watching Barbie programs, playing make believe, e.g. and a little slow to catch on to things like jokes, logic and "real world" topics. Does anyone have similar experience here and can share some advice?

4. Also, to make things worse, my girl just clams up when she encounters a difficult e.g. Maths question and when you ask her "do you understand" after explaining a concept, she just keeps quiet. If she does understand she will say "yes" only after quite a long time. It is very difficult / frustrating for us to get through to her. She is also selective, doesn't like to listen to strangers, etc.

5. She is also very afraid to try out new things, indicating her confidence is very low. When we ask her, do you want to try this play activity, e.g. she will say "no, I don't want', etc.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can render.

As I mentioned, as parents, we are at our wits' end and are going to break down soon from this pressure ...

Does this sound like a dyslexic issue, does anyone have contacts for getting her assessed / diagnosed? Thanks.

Back