Anyone diagnosed with group B streptococcal

lucida

Was told by my gynae that I have group B streptoccal (GBS). This happens in some pregnant woman. Although he says infection to baby quite low but after reading the internet about this germ, I am getting worried. He mentioned that during delivery he will inject the anti-biotic but I still very worried.

Anyone has any experience to share about this?

Hi Lucida

I had Group B Strep also after a check done during my week 33 of pregnancy. Was given some capsules for vaginal insert for few days (cant remember exactly how many days) & have another culture test done on my week 36, which showed I was free from this infection already. I delivered my boy on my week 38 & I remember my gynae did note down in my hospital letter that I had this infection before but I dont recall having any injection again during labour.

How many weeks are you in now?

Lucida
I had strep B infection but for mine was i have to take oral medication for 1 or 2 weeks cnanot remeber then afetr which during my delivery, i will be put on a anti biotics drip leh throughout the whole delivery. But the infection to bb is really low lah. My bb was fine.

Hi Lucida,

For both my pregnancies, i was also diagnosed with strep B infection. It's fairly common and lies dormant in the mother, causing her no harm. it's only harmful to the newborn as they pass thru the birth canal. so during delivery, you'll be put on antibiotic drip. it's perfectly safe and ok.

take care
happy.gif

Thanks for the assurance. Guess now is to just pray that all would be safe and normal. 3 or 4 more weeks to go..

Hi,

I oso had Strep B during my pregnancy and my gynae gave me the antibiotic drip too when I was in the delivery ward... Dun worry too much...

All the best and Wish u a smooth delivery! =)

My gynea just called me and say if I feel more comfortable, he will give me antibotic (mild type). Thinking whether I should take cos' heard there could be side effect if take antibiotic.

Hi Tricia,
Did your gynae give you any oral intake?

Hi I tested positive for Strep B in my 4th-5th week. gynae tested coz i had discharge. took 2 weeks oral antibiotics and tested okie after that. Been reading up a lot on it, and like you Lucida, the mroe I read the more worried I get. But when I asked gynae, she said actually its quote common. and the common practice is to put the mother on IV drip during delivery. what soothed me from the things i read is many mothers wrote their labour experience like the drip is a routine procedure and nothing to worry about. their babies are fine if they put on drip. so i was more assured.

you may wonder how come i test -ve liaoz still worried about this. coz i also read that sometimes the bacteria is present but in such low amounts that the test cannot pick it up. but also, in such cases, infection in baby will be rare lah.

Think we shld worry only if we have premature rupture of membrances, or water bag burst more than 12 hours before baby is born, or pre-term labour etc.

For me, due to the nature of how antibiotics works, i wld rather just wait for the IV drip during labour than take anymore oral medn now. coz if the oral antibiotics cannot overcome all the bacteria, then there's risk that the surviving bacteria will become stronger and immune to the antibiotics during labour? but thats just my tots, u shld decide with ur doc after discussing the implications.

Hi lucida,

Ya, my gynae gave me oral antibiotics when he detected i had strep b during my pregnancy checkup... and even after I gave birth, he gave me oral antibiotics oso cos I still haf the discharge...

I was worried at first, but he told me the antibiotics are safe for baby.. that's y i dare to take. And i did checked with other mummies at tat time too... n many of them are oso the same...

You can go to the thread on "Yeast infection" for some reference too.

Of course it's better to have the view from a professional la.. ur gynae.. =)

Hi,

I had Strep B too when I was preg. I dunno if I was given the anti biotics drip. But no oral medication after tat. They took blood test for my bb, all clear. So I think ok lor.

hi glad,

it's nearing the end of preg - like 35-36wks then your gynae would do a swap/culture test to see if got strep B virus. it's quite a common thing and usu lies dormant in a woman but it's only harmful to bb as they pass thru birth canal...

Hi glad,

Yap. As written by p_p02, my gynae did a swap test when I was around 33-34wks and that was how he discover I have Strep B.

There is no symptom or whatsoever if a person have strep B. FRom what I know, some people just have it.

Btw, I took the anti-biotics cos' gynae say just take it.

Hi mummies,

I was also strep b positive in my 36th week(about 2 weeks ago). gynae gave oral antibiotics for a wk and did not mention anything after that. I am also worried after reading up on the net. Do we have to remind whoever is on duty when we go to the hospital?

Hi all mummies who hv Strep B,

If ur gynae have explained to u, it's no cause for worry cos it's very common & happens to abt 75% of all pregnant woman. The anitbiotics is harmless & will not affect ur baby in any way. It's also to prevent the virus from passing to ur baby during birth. I have that too when I'm in my 36-37th week. Actually, mine is C-section but I still take the antibiotics as advised by my gynae, so no worries ya..
happy.gif

hi decimalpoint,

your gynae should put it in your admission letter already so no need to worry abt such things...

looks like you gonna pop soon?
happy.gif
take care

p_p02

there is nothing on my admission letter that's y i worry!! he still ask me to remind him of my fibroids in the delivery ward. i was thinking, who is the dr now?? he doesn't say much during chekups too.
so i am going to tell whoever is at the delivery ward upon admission about the strep b and fibroids. may pop anytime!

Hi all,
I did the test for Group B Strep when I was about 33 weeks, and was given the all clear. However, 17 days after my son was delivered, he came down with fever and we admitted him to Mt A hospital, and my PD, Dr EK Ong from SBCC actually suspected that my son was down with meningitis that was caused by the Group B Strep bacteria. After 29 days in the hospital, he was finally discharged and till today, i still do not know how my son can be infected by the bacteria when i have tested negative. But nonetheless, we are just very glad that my boy has recovered with no side effects and is now a cheerful 9 mth old.. Oh, and btw, Dr EK Ong from SBCC at TMC is really really good, very patient and understanding and although the wait is quite long at times, its definitely worth it..

hi fui ting, what i read is that strep b can be present in such low amounts in the mother that it can be tested negative during the culture.

decimal point, can understand how u are worried hor....then rem to remind the nurses and midwives then.

glad, too much discharge does not necc mean strep b positive. but sometimes gynaes will still test for it if discharge is complained of. thats how i got tested as early as in my 4-5th week.

Hi, i had discharge with a bit of blood last week (Wednesday 26 July 2006). I quickily went to see doc and she did swab test and i was told on Saturday 29 July 2006 that i am infected with Streptococcus Group B. I read the website and they used words like 'deadly', 'stillbirth'. feel better to know that i am not the only one getting this. but one thing puzzling is that, according to the website, they didnt mention bloody discharge which i am having now. today the blood stain is more obvious. can someone share with me that they have blood discharge due to strep B?

hi yasmin, yep those websites are really scary. imagine when i did my research and read all that, and this thread has not started yet. i felt so alone then. but later on read more about overseas and apparently quite common, will have SOP procedures for mums who have tested positive. my discharge is not like urs. perhaps the blood is due to something else? better ask gynae....

Thanks Daisybuttons. I've went for gynae checkup yesterday and she examined my vaginal by inserting a vaginal looking plastic mould and sucked out all the discharge and she saw no trace of blood. Anyway she reassured me that Strep B is common (1 out of 4 pregnant women will get) and she will give me a dripping of antiobiotics (regardless before or after my water break) during labour to minimise the chance newborn baby will get the bacteria. Guess we cannot do anything but to pray to God and believe in the gynae to do her best. Anyway, she did a scan on my baby and baby is doing fine with strong heart beat. She applied a blue solution in my vaginal (which i think is the iodine solution for wounds) for the bleeding. Just hope my bleeding will stop soon. Also she gave me amoxicillin for the time being. Just hope for the best =)

Hi

I very 'cham'. I have PCOS and Strep B and my husband sperm is not very good too with low motility. I wonder if i can ever get pregnant.

hi sher lim,
if u know u have strep group b b4 pregnant, u can always take anti-biotic, it can b treated.
for slow n inactive spermie, try to reduce soy product, saw from internet tt soy product affects male fertility.

The Strep B bacteria moves around the vagina, does not stay locally in one place. Doing a swab is inaccurate because the swab may not have been in contact with the bacteria in the vagina. Hence many times you could be tested negative but actually you are positive.

Antibiotic drips during labour does not guarantee that baby does not contract Strep B. Instead antibiotics drips are very strong and bad for baby and should be given only extreme situations. The baby has a 1 in 1,000 risk of contracting the Strep B bacteria from the strep B positive mother. It is only when the ears, eyes, nose and mouth passes through the bacteria that it is detrimental to the baby. During labour, if water is still intact, bacteria does not get to baby. The only time you would need the antibiotic drip is when the water has broken for more than 6 hours during labour.

You should tell your PD to do a swab on the baby to ensure that baby did not contract strep B. The swab culture results for baby takes 2 days and if tested positive, not too late to give antibiotics.

ADVICE FOR ALL STREP B MOMMIES TO BE

Hi all mommies to be who have strep B. Strongly suggest C-section esp if u have severe strep b infection.
Like wat stella say, she is correct n the anti biotics drips does not guarantee yr baby will be safe.
I really regretted taking the gynae advice to go natural. Worst she did not even give me antiboitics drip !!! As a result, my gal was infected with strep b n this ended with sepsis ie infection of the blood n meningitis. My gal was in NICU for 1 mth since day 1 of her birth, did 2 lumbar puncture, 2 MRI, 2 times blood transfusions.
if I have been more knowledgable, my gal need not suffer so much.....
Thankfully her PD was a very meticulous n good doc else we would have lost our gal to strep b bacteria.

Hi megmom

Sad to hear that, ur girl had suffered so much..

How is she now, any after effects , hope tht she is fine

I into my 8.5mths pregnancy. Did A Swap and detected this stupid bacteria. On antibiotics now.. Not sure whether by next month when I delivered, will it be cleared. Anyway, Gynae said will affect baby if baby drink the vagina fluids and will cause BB pnuemonia..SO i am scared. As such, I considering a C-section to minimise the exposure.. Does it help? Urs is Natural or C-section? Ur baby ok?

hello..i was prescribed amoxil for UTI by my GP. I called my gynae and he said it's safe.. anyone of you had UTI and was prescribed amoxil?

dear mummies, glad to find out this topic in forum. i was tested positive for strep B. i want to ask is it safer to have a c-sect to prevent baby getting infection?

any mummies here went tru natural birth with IV antibiotics during birth? is there any risk of baby getting infected??

thanks

Hi nana17

i went thru natural birth with Iv antibiotics. it's ok. the antibiotics shld cover babe. anyhow, after being discovered and being on a course of antibiotics, it might clear up even before delivery...quite a common prob apparently...

have a smooth delivery
happy.gif

Hi Nana,
me too.. went thru natural with antibiotics.. initially like u , i am very worried for my bb. But then the gynae assured me. OH .. by the way, very very impt is to inform the midwife, nurse , doc again that u have this Strep B the moment u are admitted.. Keep repeating and reminding them for the anti bio. That shld keep u and bb safe!

Thanks p_p02 and Babymoon for replying!!

been worried about this matter for few days alr. coz i heard from frens their gynae asked them to go for c-sect to prevent baby getting infected. but my gynae is pro-natural birth and don wan me to go for c-sect using this excuse.

my gynae didn't prescribe me any oral antibiotics now and will only give antibiotics during birth. i wil ask her again whether any oral pills for me to consume before delivery.

hi mummies, just to update. i have delivered my girl safely in last Nov. My labour was too short, 3.5 hours. I was on IV drip and didn manage to get the full protection for my baby, so doc gave my baby antibiotics every 12 hrs after her birth for 2 days before the blood test results come out. Praise God she is safe. want to thank the mummies here for ur encouragement.

Will like to share my labour experience. I'm tested positive with GBS too during my 30tn wk. Was given oral anti biotics and Gynae said during labour will be given antibiotic drip too to prevent bb from infected. Though Gynae assured should not pose any risk to bb, I.m still worried. I really wanna go for natural birth.

But at my wk 37, warerbag burst! Goodness, I nid to be in labour so unexpectedly! That time I was given 2 choices of labour - induce but got to wait or csect. If I induce & water level getting low, the risk of my bb got affected will be higher! In the end, I chose to csect. My boy is born healthily despite the small size. He's a premie baby weighing 2.1kg @ birth.

Till now, I still thinking if ive chosen to induce, will my boy be infected? Anyway, my situation is different from the rest. But will want to share here for the worried infected mummies. Check with your Gynae the best option and ask around.
happy.gif

Back