Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Fairyprincess,
My girl attended Berries since 4 years old. I did not seriously teach her Chinese before P1. I started to use the 四五快读 books to teach only about 1 month before she starts P1. By the end of P1, she is already reading long novels.

Personally I think that parents cannot only depend on enrichment classes. It takes many years for a child to learn a language, and to be very good at it, the child must be exposed to it regularly everyday. Reading good Chinese books everyday is the easiest and most enjoyable way for a child to learn Chinese.

Tuition centers definitely must teach at a level that is much higher than school, because parents want their kids to be better than the rest. However, if the child does not have a solid foundation, then it will be a torture to cram so much at such a short time, and it will kill all interest in the language.

yawn,
Extra lessons twice a week are too much.

I will try to opt out of CCA for my boy until P6. I want him to focus on swimming with a private instructor. He also likes rock climbing, which I think is an excellent sport. My wish is for him to have more time to play freely and daydream at home.

My girl's guzheng classes now increase to twice a week. I am unhappy but she insists that she wants to continue. I will let her have her way since she has the interest.

snowball,
I heard from my colleague from China that there is no streaming and no PSLE in China. Our education system is so much more stessful, but are we prducing better graduates, inventors, innovators, etc ? China's economy is doing better than ours.

Hi Tam,

I find that it is inevitable that we, as parents, want the best for our kids and end up joining in the mad rat-race. I find that my hb has been a very good check for me to join in the mad-rat race by restricting me from sending my kids for more academic enrichment classes.

I agree that 四五快读 has been a very useful teaching tool for me to teach my gals in reading chinese characters. My DD1 has just finished Book 4 and she can read many storybooks independently.
I just started my DD2 with Book 1 about 4 mths ago. I am going slow for her and now only at lesson 6. But, she can absorb the learning very well. I really do hope that both my gals can sustain their interest in Chinese.

snowball,
My hubby is like your hubby ! My hubby is probably even more bochap. He would never pay for any academic enrichment. He does not even follow the syllabus. A few nights ago, he taught my boy the Greek alphabet, which will only be used in Calculus in upper secondary. However, he supports my teaching methods, because he understands the importance of reading extensively in both languages.

I agree that it is inevitable for parents to want the best for kids. So perhaps the education system has to change, otherwise a whole generation of kids continue to suffer.

Glad to know that your girls are learning well from the 四五快读 books. Not many parents can persist like you do
happy.gif

snowball, good that ur DD1 has been quite automatic in her piano practice...

yawn, good idea to have non acad enrichment during the hols..but then for FTWM have to take leave loh...

fairyprincess, tuition within tuition..what is this country coming to???

tam, don't think MOE can hit the target of 1:16 by 2015...unless they loosen their selection criteria (which is already under fire currently)... ur kids are really well prepared.. i think my gal is nowhere near urs!

anyway, will drop my gal's gym, abacus and S &D (all from her CC) when she leaves CC end of this year.

Drop phonics cos her teacher will stop teaching at end of K2. Then swimming and piano have to see how it goes (might drop piano..very tiring...)

Might continue berries or switch to another chinese enrichment since I think her chinese foundation is still not good.

Fairyprincess

its the same for my boy's school... P4 onwards, cca is compulsory. He had to join practise now to take part in the coming SYF competition.

where is your dd attending chinese creative writing? I want to look for one for my kids too.

Tamarind,

he had transfered to his current school with his violin as a key merit factor... so must join the cca and contribute
happy.gif
Though I am happy that he has a chance to participate in the cca (and hopefully find like-minded friends in strings) but frankly, I would have preferred he join this cca in P3/4 too... that would give him more time to rest and read.

Bloom,

I dropped my boy's piano class the moment he started P1. Too busy and little time... dropped his piano so that he can concentrate on his violin...he is in grade 6/7 now and spends around 2 hours or so practising every day, preparing for competition next year.

yawn,

indeed non academic exam based course are stressful too. I constantly struggle internally whether I should just let it go and just concentrate on academic...

Hi Tam,

My DD1 is quite automatic when it comes to reading. I make the reading time close to bedtime and she goes to zzz after the reading session (about 15 - 20 min). So far, my DD2 is sort of influenced by her and also followed the routine. I am looking forward to completing the P & J / 四五快读 sessions with her so that I can concentrate on DD2.

Actually, I personally find that once the routine is set and interest built, it is not that difficult to press on as the child is also "encouraged/ motivated" to want to continue. But, I should say there must still be consistency and perservance to repeat the routine regularly.

Hi Bloom,

We are prepared to let my DD1 drop her music lessons is she is showing stress when she goes to Pri Sch. So far, she is doing fine in the group class partly due to no exams yet (not until nx year if I am not wrong). What is impt is we want the kids to enjoy what they are doing.

Reduction in Teacher-Child Ratio to 1 : 16 - I also think its not quite possible to reduce the ratio by 2015. It will take a much longer time to realise this.

Hi all,

Been very tired 'cos my washing machine is cranky and won't spin (plus beeps at every stage). Good thing I have a dryer so spend lots of energy wringing dry, 45 mins drying then hang dry afterwards
sad.gif
What brands are you ladies using at the moment?

Hello mummies!

Tam- yes, I better re-start the si4wu3kwai4du2 again...

Poohy- Tien Hsia school has creative writing from P2 onwards...my P3 gal is in Busy Bee creative writing class- very hot-house type of school in my opinion...

Hi mommies,
I have been busy cleaning my new house. Renovation is completed and new furniture will be arriving next week. My whole body aches ! I am cleaning it all by myself because I don't want my maid to work in 2 houses since it is not allowed by MOM. I don't want to ask my hubby to help because he does not follow my instructions and the house will not be properly cleaned by him. So I might as well do it myself.

Hi snowball,
You are absolutely right that establishing a routine is the best way to get a child to read ! I remember my boy reminding me to let him read the Peter and Jane books when I forgot, when he was only 4 years old
happy.gif
He got used to the routine, it is just like brushing teeth, even when I don't tell him, he will go and brush. The younger the child, the easier it is to establish a routine.

bloom,
Reduction in Teacher-Child Ratio to 1 : 16
It is only possible to do this by bringing in more foreign teachers. I hope that MOE brings in native speakers of English and Chinese. Please do not bring in from other Asian countries, we don't want our kids to speak English with a funny accent.

My girl told me that she had a Math teacher who pronounced "biscuits" as "bis-quits". Sigh... My girl was not sure about the Nationality of the teacher, from the name I guess he is probably Indonesian.

Hi mumusings,
Very good idea about the satay meal !

I have been using Panasonic washing machine for a few years, very happy with it.

When I hand wash my clothes, I am usually too lazy to wring dry by hand, I will just let it drip dry in the toilet or corridor.

Hi Mumusings,

Thanks for the tips on their Satay. Shall try it.

The dumplings (汤元)under Fairprice brand is also nice.

Looks like Fairprice has improved their housebrand products recently.

Hi Tam,

Mine's a made in Japan Toshiba (was super ex when bought it). Likely just get Korean brand to try since there's 5 years warranty on motor.

Hi Tam/Snowball,

Hahaha... thanks. Was very very happy with what I created despite having no ketupat. I usually don't eat satay if there's no cucumber and rice cake but meal was nice
happy.gif
Will try the chicken. As for tang yuan, I find the outer layer too thick for NTUC brand and so stick to 'Chinatown' brand (the pack with 12 pieces). I've not bought NTUC foods for a few years now since the last time I fell ill eating one of their sausage products and instant noodles. Their shrimp wanton is really yucky too I threw away the entire box (I don't usually like to waste food).

Yep, had been following the thread and remained a silent reader all this while ^o^ Too busy with work and my P3 boy, its a big jump from P2 to P3 (to me), at times I pity him.

Reading other mommies mentioning dropping enrichment classes earlier on, am considering too. Like fairypriness, must take out my si4 kuai4 wu3 du2 again, had not been consistent with my 'teachings'.

Ok, will try JP NTUC tomorrow and see any luck. Thanks for sharing the recipes, it's really easy to follow.

Hi mommies,
Any recommendation for Science books?
Felt that the school textbook (My Pal) is very thin, thinking to buy some additional guide to read, but too many in the market, can't decide which one.

Hi Tam,
Can share where did you stay when you went to see the snow monkey last year?
For he Chou taxi, did you book them before departure or at Narita Airport?
Thanks.

Hi mumusings,
Personally prefer the one with brocolli better
happy.gif
still no luck in getting the satay. Will go buy those sticks type and de-stick them myself
happy.gif

Thanks for sharing.

sigh...thanks to all these "bai4lei4", our education system and profession is down the drain.
Mummies and daddies must really take charge of our children: for their sake and for our sake....

really dunno what to say....

mumusings
did u buy the chinese caliigraphy "doodle paper" from gmarket?

Hi aa,

You can try the hyper-supermarkets. Most of them do sell the panfry satay. I bought similar ones under city satay brand. Also nice
happy.gif

Hi Mumusings,

I also like the Chinatown brand tang yuan. But, find that their standard not so good now.

Hi Helen,

Actually, I pity the children nowadays. They are packed with enrichments after enrichments, really no childhood liao.

Hi Helen,

The gmart one is different - don't know where to get 'cos it was a gift passed via my mom.

Hi aa,
I think there are other brands of pan-fry satay. Have seen them at Ang Mo, Giant and Sheng Shiong before - don't know if they're out of stock now.

Hi Snowball,
Yes, the dough somehow has a 'chemical' taste/feel to them if that's what you're referring to. Guess it will happen 'cos everything's machine-made
sad.gif
Not longer hand made. My granny used to make these coconut and peanut-filling kueh when I was small -- frozen products can never replace home-made goodies, only 70% to 80% at best.

Hi Snowball & Mumusings,
Thanks, will "hunt" for it today as I taken afternoon OFF
happy.gif
Need some "me" time, feeling very tired.

re Tangyuan
Actually I liked those mini pink & white kind (without filings) that my mom got from wet market.

re Korean TV
anyone watching korean drama online? can recommended where can i watch the "Smile Donghae" drama, with subtitles?
Thanks.

Hi Tam,

Thanks for the web site and info.
Will see if I free myself for three extra days after my meeting in Tokyo ...

have not watch 步步惊心 but highly recommended by my colleagues.

hihi... mummies
Long time no chat ..

I'm finished 步步惊心.. dilike the ending..

Sabrina also only on non-academic enrichment.
Swimming and Piano

Sabrina will be going for her piano Grade 2 exam on next Monday.. wish her good luck !
She has prepared for 4 months time for her 3 pieces song and the scales..hope she will make it.!

mummusings, terrible news abt the teacher... sighh.. i really hope that MOE will fire this kind of teacher rather than counselled and give them 2nd chance (unless somehow really the teacher confirmed can-be-'saved')... cos its like releasing a wolf back into a flock of sheeps

sharon, wow.. thats fast.. good luck to sabrina! did she take her grade 1?

any recommendation for watching US tv series??

BTW, anyone using air circulators? Using the fan always give my gal running nose if we on it for too long at night..pointing it at the wall is useless cos those outside the range cannot feel the wind. Am thinking of switching to air circulators instead... any comments?

Hi Bloom,

I'm also interested in air circulators. Will be good if there's any mummy here who's tried them. Anyone tried the dyson bladeless fan before?

mumusings
the dyson bladeless fan is good to use in aircon room for air circulation. on its own, it is not strong. The pricing is also another put-off. There are so many imitations in the market but most reviews mentioned about the loud noise generated.

Personally, I am using wall fan in the gals' room. Good for circulating the air. Will normally switch on with the air con for first 10 mins then switch it off. B4 the gals wake up, i will turn the aircon to fan mode and switch the wall fan on again. In this way, they do not experience too big a temp change inside and outside of the bedroom

Thanks, Helen for the dyson review! Yes, the price is hefty... I do have a few standing fans about the apartment and only use the air-con at night. Does save a lot this way.

hahaha, i dont even use aircon cos i have sensitive nose (and have this lifetime bad habit of breathing thru my mouth so the dry air of aircon will give me sore throat).

read some good reviews on the vornado (lesser for the imitation ifan) but duno if its really good. Some pp say cheaper if ship vornado from US.. ahhahaa....

really wonder if its good to get one or just a normal metal kind of air circulator will do.. I live on low floor surrounded by other flats so the air is very stuffy.

helen, so you on the aircon the whole night? One thing I hate about my home aircon (not sure if its the same for all aircon) - it will become very cold in the middle of the night.

bloom,
My aircon also becomes very cold after a few hours. I normally turn on for only 15 minutes before I sleep, then turn it off. I also cannot have the fan blowing directly at me, cannot sleep.

My hubby recently bought something like the vornado. I cannot remember whether the brand is vornado, will go back and check. It is strong but quite noisy.

Helen,
I am very tempted to buy the dyson bladeless fan, did not know that the noise is loud. I need a fan that is very quiet.

Hi mommies,
Anyone bought from www.asos.com before ? How is the quality ? I just discovered it, free shipping to Singapore ! Nice long pencil skirts, good for working.

步步惊心
I watched the ending 3 times. The series is based on a Chinese novel which is very good, even better than the series. I read the ending 5 to 6 times. Unbelievable. The novel was originally published in the internet, free for all to read :
http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=38029

Highly recommended !

tam, thanks! pls let me know brand, model, price and how loud.... (cos intend to use it during bedtime)

Very excited. my colleague's wife just gave birth. This year my dept bumper crop, think 5 bbs coming hehehehe

Hi Bloom,

Thanks! Saw the vornado at home-fix and was impressed. Kid loves the fact that the beach ball they used in the demo was kept swirling above the fan hehehe...

bloom,
It is a vornado, 630-HK, about $200, as loud as fans of other brands. I don't like sleeping with it on. I still prefer to use my aircon.

Hi Bloom,

This year has many Dragon babies and many weddings to attend. I have attended 2 wedding dinners and 1 baby shower so far.....more coming.

Hi Sharon - Your DD is good. My DD1 in K2 still with YJC with Yamaha. I am thinking to switch her to 1-to-1 piano class next year when she goes to P1.

Fan - I am using a wall fan too. I turn the Aircon to 25 deg with low fan and turn on the wall fan for air circulation when the weather gets too hot. The room is kept cool but not cold. So far this works fine for us
happy.gif

Hi aa - Supermarkets also got sell this frozen small 汤圆which are plain and in pink and white colour.

Hi Tam - My kids started their swimming lessons 3 weeks ago. They enjoy their class very much. Yes, the coach's schedule is very full esp on weekends, I waited a few mths to finally get a slot on Sunday afternnon for my kids.

Hi Tamarind,

No problem.
i just tot to try a new coach for my boy. He is with swim school since last May and todate, boy just managed to swim frog style, yet not stable...too slow.

tam, thanks for checking... $200??? I thot vornado is like $400 thats why hesitating. Did you put it on the floor? Can the people sleeping on the bed (raised bed, not platform bed) can feel the circulation to feel comfortable enough not to require aircon/fan to be on?

Sorry to ask so many questions as so far I have not encounter anyone who has this.

snowball.hehehe.. govt will be happy this year
happy.gif
Do your kids have the same coach as Tam's?

Back