Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Tam,
Sometime ago u recommended and posted a pic of a chinese dictionary (ci dian). If possible, may I trouble u to post that pic again? I went to look for one today, and ended up buying one which according to Popular, is one that is allowed to be used in PSLE, for the period 2011 - 2015. However, I find the print quite difficult to use. Am keeping it in original wrapping in case I decide to exchange.

Don't bother with the request if u r busy
happy.gif
. TIA

mumusings,
Thanks for sharing about the squid ! I think my kids will scream with excitement if we show them a squid with a fish inside.

Next time may be can find a diamond ? hehehe

Hi mommies,
You have heard about the National Service man asking the maid to carry his field pack for him right ?

Actually we do carry the school bag for my P1 boy after he gets down from school bus, because I think that the bag is too heavy for him. He is technically only 6 years old now, his birthday is in late September. I will probably carry for him until P3.

I used to walk 1 km to primary school, my mother also carried when I was in lower primary.

How about you ? Will you carry your kids' school bags in P1 ? When will you stop carrying ?

Hi Aly,

My symptoms are the like yours. I am getting the pain, tho' not so bad that need to go hospital but getting more frequent. Think I better go see my company dr and suggest that they do the test for the peptic ulcer.

Hi Tam,

My mum and sister used to carry my school bag for me until P5. Thereafter, I requested to carry my own bag (partly due to peer pressure).

Snowball,
When I was first hospitalized, I was screened for problems with gall bladder, liver, appendix n other types of stomach ulcer. Guess pain at that spot can mean problems from different organs. Google n see if you are experiencing other symptoms caused by peptic ulcer.

I hope all ends well for you, too.

Tam,
Thanks, again.
This might be a new publication, cos the list has other titles where the application period is for 2011 only.

Hi Alynat,

I meant that the tail of the fish cut me as I was pulling it out (was looking away) so I didn't realise there were 2 things in there that cut: the squid bone and the tail. You can imagine how greedy that squid was. The fish filled up the entire space in the squid.

Hi Tam,

If I do find a diamond in there, I hope it's as large as the fish. 200 carats
happy.gif
happy.gif
hahahahaha...

tamarind

What's the difference between 字典 & 词典?
I've a 字典 at home. I think hubby bought it for himelf before dd was borned. We're still using that, haha!
Yours looked interesting. Do you remember how much is it? Will check out at popular

tamarind, Aly nat

I didn't realise can bring dictionary to exam.
How do we know which version is approved for psle?

tamarind

Both kids carry their own school bag. My dd2 who started p1 this year is very proud to carry her own bag leh. She said she 长大了. She's using a deuter bag, quite good back support & school is merely a few minutes walk away

HI Aly,

Thanks for the suggestions on feeding at 3am. I shall try to replace with water. My mom said that was what she did when i was a baby - leave a bottle of water next to my mattress for me to get my own drink. Forgot all about this till I read your post. Thanks
happy.gif
I do suspect he isn't really hungry but checking if we're at home rather.

mumusings,
Rice with sambal sotong - yum yum!!
3am feed - you're welcomed
happy.gif

Yawn,
Yalor, I also only found out recently. In Popular, by the chinese dictionary shelf, you will find a list of approved dictionary to be used in PSLE, with validity dates. Electronic dictionary also can, but only a couple of approved models. BTW, dictionary for compo only hor
happy.gif

yawn, aly_nat,
Yes students are now allowed to use dictionaries even for higher Chinese PLSE exam. So there is no need to make our kids practice writing so many words. Only learn the Ting Xie words will be sufficient. The focus should be on character recognition and learning vocabulary.

yawn,
A 词典 shows a word and many examples of how the word is used with phrases. Take a look at this page :
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w1nyHWTEh94/TUEqsUteNsI/AAAAAAAAB4Q/d4NYgj8wu-s/s1600/dictionary.JPG

It is the 词 or phrase that is most important, because a 字 has different meanings when used in different 词.

It is not sufficient for kids to know 字, they need to know as many 词 as possible.

It is important to get a good dictionary for kids, then they can learn independently and we don't have to push them all the way to A levels.

yawn, snowball,
The incident of the NS men who have his maid carrying his field pack, really makes me think that our kids are too pampered now. I am also guilty of pampering my son. Must think of some ways to make him more "rugged".

tamarind

I'm guilty too lah. I pampered them in other ways. I'm still packing dd1's school bag!

Think I'm stuck with this job even when she's P6. Wanted to leave to her but so hard to be hands off, she simply forget to bring something everyday if I don't pack for her. Remind her also no use. She would 'yeah yeah yeah' but always no action, then conveniently slip her mind. She doesn't even mind 罚站, don't know why so thick skinned

yawn,
There was once my boy could not finish his homework because of dilly-dallying. I told him to just tell teacher he would hand in another day. The next day his teacher asked him to stay back during recess to finish his work. After that, he is quite scared and always finish his homework quickly.

I don't pack my kids' school bag because I don't know what to pack :p They just dump everything in everyday, that's why their bags are very heavy.

If there is any 吃苦 holiday camp, I will send my kids there !

mumusings,
Wow that is such a mess. Even now that my boy is 7 years old, I don't let him handle anything that can potentially end up in a mess :p

Hi mommies,
I taught my girl how to sew a couple of times before. I am pleasantly surprised that she enjoys sewing. These are 2 things that she sewed today, on her own initiatives.

"Underwear" for her gingerbread man :
5295391.jpg

A little bag for her teddy bear :
5295392.jpg

I like sewing, and I am really happy that she likes to sew too. I think that sewing is an excellent hobby, and also excellent for developing fine motor skills, especially if she wants to become a surgeon in the future hehehe

Hi Tam,

Very nice! If you have her old shirts/singlets, get her to sew up the base of the shirt end and you get a miniature carrier. Good for you!

Hi Tam,
Wah, 名师出高徒! Nice!
Is that all hand sewned, or did she use the sewing machine?

I can't sew. My home eons grades were lousy all becos I cant't make a skirt fit like a skirt! Haha!

yawn,
I stopped packing for dd1. So she just dump everything into her bag, making it so heavy. But somehow, she can remember to pack for her weekly lessons like art n craft class n swimming class.

Works for her becos she knows I won't bring them to her if she forgets, n she has to face the music.

tamarind
Your dd is impressive!

aly nat
I can't sew too. My dd sew her school uniform skirt hook that came off by herself. Not very presentable, as long it doesn't come off then ok liao. Can't rely on me, haha!

Sorry forgot to copy all the details onto previous post:

Date: 9 Apr 2011
Time: 6 - 9pm
Venue: Marina South Pier
Fee: $150/Couple OR $80/Pax (Includes 10 course buffet dinner & the following onsite pampering treats)

Onsite Pampering Privileges!

FREE! "Spin-D-Wheel" Sure-Win Game
The attendees are entitled to spin our sure-win Wheel to receive some gifts in-kind
from TOUCHE™ Our prizes include wellness spa treatments and product samples.

FREE! Silky Strawberry Hand Treatment worth $60
Enjoy a session of Silky Strawberry Hand Treatment, which includes a nourishing
Indulgence of our vitamin E enriched hand paraffin treatment. Silky Strawberry Hand
Treatment eases tired hands, moisturizes the skin and it provides an effective relief
of mild joints ache. Revive your hands for a blissful soft and silky touch.

FREE! Body Mass Index (BMI Wellness Analysis)
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person’s weight and height to
provide an indicator of individual’s health status. It will reveal if there is an overweight/
underweight concern that may lead to health problems.

With align to the above onsite privileges; there will be exclusive trial offer on skin and body treatments for your esteemed attendee’s enjoyment! Goodie Bags : Complimentary 50 treatment vouchers worth $170 from TOUCHE™ as well as a free couple game set worth $50.
Lucky Draw : 1 TCM Authentic GUASA Radiant Skin Treatment worth $280 each to your lucky winners from TOUCHE™.

If interested, please call: 6775 8981 or email: [email protected]

Details at: http://www.sppa.org.sg/docs/love%20cruise%20final.pdf
Main site: http://www.sppa.org.sg/

Hi mommies,
Thanks for the compliments
happy.gif
I am happy that she has good hobbies. Besides sewing, she also enjoys beading. Kids nowadays really need to do something other than reading and computers.

aly_nat,
She sews by hand. I dare not let her use the sewing machine. Both my parents are tailors, so she probably have the genes
happy.gif

sharon,
How is Sabrina's eyesight now ? Is she still reading many books ?

mumusings,
Thanks for sharing
happy.gif
I would like to go somewhere to pamper myself, but my hubby is working in China now, and I feel guilty leaving 2 kids to my mother and the maid :p

tamarind..
will review in May...
hmmm now better control timing in between about 30-45min.
even thought we went library , we only let her read baby books...

hi, mummies
I sold my digital la. and I also get my upright kawai
happy.gif
in and out at the same time.
mummies
Do any child upset over about
1) other child don sharing toys
2) other children have a group of friends then she feels leave out..

how do teach they over come over the sadness about the thing that u can not control..
bcos doesn't u well treating people, people will treating u back the same way rite ?
I always said if u nice to people don especting something back from her..
she said is a "Golden rules" bcos she has read a book called " Golden rules"
When u are nice people.. people will nice to u too.
How ? In our world .. don have rite ?

tam, chloe is really good with her fingers.. ! where do u usually got ur fabric for her sewing? maybe i/o of a spa cruise, u can go for a 3 hr spa instead? somtimes we mommies really need to rejuvenate ourselves.

aly_nat..ahaha.. i failed my home econs (cant cook, cant sew)... i really wish my school allows gals to take technical but that never happen :p

sharon, so u got a brand new kawai? or a 2nd hand one from the pl u got ur digital? my gal has the same prob too - get terribly upset when pp refuse to share or pp leave her out (she is the youngest among the cousins).. i think it is 'worse' for only child cos they do not have the 'training' at home..

just read abt the 6 yrs old falling out of the window in the ST.. feeling very sad
sad.gif

Hi Sharon,

My son's too young to understand the 'politics' of life but it has happened before - him wanting to play with other (older) kids and they either try to frighten him because he's smaller or say things like "I have better toys at home". These kids are the ones who will grow up to be like those loser-bengs comparing everything and anything... we simply laugh it off!!

As parents, we tell our kid that it's good to be courteous and explain to him (even though he probably can't understand 2 plus) that people have their own thoughts, agenda and prerogatives.

I firmly believe that if parents don't make an issue out of such petty matters, the kid will learn to take such 'setbacks' in their stride. If we join in and make it sound like our kids are 'victims', we might be wrongly encouraging them to continue being overly-sensitive towards every action/word of others.

At the moment, we are training our son to ignore bullies and just walk away (like dog owners who growl when my son wishes to pat the animal). He's learnt now to say Thank You and wave 'bye' even if his courtesy is not reciprocated. We also encourage him to play with his own toys when we're out and tell him that not everyone is willing to share their belongings with strangers.

Well, I don't get upset with all these at all. Part and parcel of growing up/learning. When I was in kindergarten, there were 'groups' of elite/rich classmates who'd huddle together to share their dolls and whatever exclusively. These people are everywhere even in offices - people who gang up, dress alike or sound the same. My mom would just say, "there's nothing wrong with you playing alone and neither are the girls at fault to stick together. Just do your own thing!". She's right and my aunts also taught me never to say "I'm bored" or "I need company". Harsh but I thank them for their no-whining policy because I treasure my independence and don't ever feel dependent on others for company/amusement. Some of my friends still can't understand to this day why I don't enjoy going out in groups to watch movies, idle time away shopping or sitting down for hours to sip tea at lounges. Never mattered to me if I 'fit' in or not - what matters is that I don't compromise with things I am uncomfortable with.

Just my two cents worth. I think girls tend to be more petty and clique-ish. Good to toughen your daughter up lest she thinks it's a fairytale world where good begets good for sure!

Good morning mummies!

Well said Mumusings! I fully agree with you....however, in the case of being bullied, I feel we parents need to play our role....my K2 gal has a classmate who from time to time would say this to her "if you do not do XXX, I will not friend you"...or sometimes ever stronger "if you do not do XXX, I will tell the other kids not to friend you"....I do not take this, and alerted that classmate's parents about what has happened, and let the parents deal with the child....

My P2 gal also experienced bullying in P1- one of her schoolbus mates would say "if you do not do xxx, I will complain to the principal/ and other similar threats" and also borrowed money but did not return- my mum stepped in to tell her if she continues with her bullying and her ways, we would feedback to her guardian etc...

At the same time, I also explained to my kids what is right and wrong, and how they should respond to bullying and no need to fear bullies...cos parents can only be around for so much, when the kids are on their own, they need to know how to deal directly with bullies and not be afraid to make a stand...

I have to say that after we intervened, both bullies' behaviour have improved...

Mumusings ,bloom and fairyprincess
Thing happened again happened to Sabrina's
She was so generous's that she brought all her scooter, bicycle and tennis down to share. but yet the children did n't want to share their toys with Sabrina's and yet she went to their mummies to complaint..and all their mummies can even bother her..
endup Sabrina went home with big cry in front of me and she told me the whole story..
and She asked me " why people don share ?
and why their mummies don teach them ?

Hi Fairy,

Certainly agree with you that we have to help stand up for our child when it's a case of bullying/violence and not just petty-talk.

Hi Sharon,

Why don't you encourage your daughter to play at home for the next few days and explain to her why it isn't advisable to bring all her gadgets down anymore. She shouldn't try to please all the kids all the time. It's good to be generous but trying to make friends by bringing more toys is only going to attract free loaders. Most kids only behave when they are at the homes of their host. More people = more protection = license to gang up.

It's time you perhaps you encourage her to go to another playground, or let her try cycling about on her own. There used to be such problems near the playground near my flat. Initially everyone brought their new thing to share. Later, some will take longer than usual to return the item and in the end everything becomes public-owned and some kids taking for granted that once-okay-always-okay. Fights and stuff happened but good thing all parents were strict with respective kids and for a while banned all from coming out to play.

If the parents of the kids your dd play with aren't the sort to be fair and kind with words, stay civil and keep a safe distance? No point trying to make friends if they're not likely to be sincere or objective when kids have conflicts. Must toughen up your girl. I've had neighbours like that when I was a kid. They become bullies when their older cousins pop by on weekends. Weekdays very polite 'cos need to share toys and my grandmother very strict. Encourage your dd to cycle /play on her own if everything else doesn't work - good to train her confidence. No point arguing with petty/greedy neighbours in my opinion.

And I also believe that while we are generous, don't expect everyone else to be brought up on such values. Different families = different policies/upbringing/no-upbringing! This is something we all have to live with.

As some of you know that I'm having giveaways on my blog. There are people who ask for ALL items, don't email to at least say they've received the items and complain of items late. It's all FOC and I am paying for the postage. Singaporeans want things FREE, FAST and forget basic courtesy. Well my main aim is to send away items so I don't take issue.

I always believe that parents who don't teach their kids the right values will end up with kids with worse values. It's okay. No loss to me - I'm just trying to do charity. Rather than ask "why" people are like that, accept that this is a fact and just focus on doing our own part well I guess...

bloom,
I got the fabric from Spotlight at Plaza Singapura. I also found shops selling Fabric at Clementi central, next time don't have to go all the way to Plaza Singapura.
3 hr spa is a good idea
happy.gif

Sharon,
Mumusings have given very good advice.

Sabrina is the only child, that's why she is not used to other kids not sharing or not appreciating her kindness.

Actually I think that most kids are born selfish, they have to be taught to share. Ever since my younger boy was born, I have to continuously teach my girl to share things with her brother. As my boy grows, I also have to teach him to share with his sister. Sometimes my girl ignores my boy and refuses to play with him, and he gets upset and I also have to teach them how to manage that.

mummusings
Thanks! but never rec ur PM
my email : [email protected]

Tamarind
U are right .. bcos is a only child.
and she likes to play with children liao.. she said play with daddy mummy not fun at all
I have trying to organise a lot of activities for her.

that why she like to go JB.. as a lot of her cousins there.

morning ladies, lots have happened at the home front for me..... I discovered I'm pregnant
happy.gif
and there's problem with my maid.
sad.gif

Need advice from experienced moms here:
1. can share your experience with me regarding your second/third pregnancy and how you coped with young kids? My twins will be 2 when I pop so, in terms of stamina I think I will really not have any left. That's my worry....

2. My Phili maid's husband suffered a stroke and needs money to be sent back so that he can get treatment in a bigger hospital. Earlier last month, I've oredi advanced her $500 from her salary as her grandmother passed away and needs money for funeral. Now she's asking to borrow $2000 (advancement and loan). Should I lend her? She's being a wonderful help, no problems at all... but at the end of the day, she's not family. I see her being upset and also worry that she cannot work properly. She also dun want to go back as she said she will not have work so no money.

So stressed!

sharon, really feel for sabrina... *sayang* but unfortunately life is unfair.. and the more sensitive pp tend to get hurt more easily...

tam..ahaha.. spotlight and clementi is so far..eheheh.. actually i do have a little kid size sewing machine at night.. for kids 3 yo.. can machine light fabric but still have a needle (but with a protective plastic cover) over it. I bought it but only use it once or twice and now have a adult sewing machine. Would chloe like to have it?

sophia, congrats! i dont have a 2nd child, but i see from my sis. when no 2 was young she let the maid handle her (no stamina plus got to take care of no 1). So when young, no 2 was very sticking to the maid. But things improve when no2 got older... so good luck!

sophia,
Congratulations !
1) My kids are only 17 months apart in age. My experience is to get as much help as possible. When my younger boy was born, I have my maid and my mother to help me, so I was actually quite relaxed. I tried to spend as much time as possible with my girl, so that she did not feel that she has been neglected because of the new baby. I let my maid do all the bathing/feeding etc for the new baby, since babies don't remember who take care of them before 1 year old.

2) I have advanced one month of salary to my maids before, but not more than that. I had a maid who told many lies to me, so I am always very skeptical about whatever my maid said about her families, because there is no way to verify what she said is true.
But it is important for you to keep a good maid now, so perhaps you can advance some money, but not as much as what she asked for.
Also note that there is a chance that you may not get your money back. The maid can ask to go home anytime, and you must buy an airticket to send her back. There is no rule in MOM that said that if the maid owes you money, then she cannot go back.

bloom,
Thanks for the offer
happy.gif
But I do want to train Chloe to use her hands to sew, it is an excellent way of developing her fine motor skills. When she is older, I will let her use my sewing machine.

tamarind,
yap, i've considered giving her the loan. Sigh, looks like I've to put aside this money as potentially gone if there are other things that might crop up later...... hubbi might get worse and want more money, want to go home etc. Right now I'm more worried for the safety of my family. I scared she not being in the right frame of mind will do stupid things to my kids.
On a happier note, I'm happy that I'm pregnant as well as being worried. With my twins in child care, I will have time in the day to look after my third one. I'm only scared when everyone is home! Maybe must consider getting my mom and dad to stay with me...... I'm such a coward 8D

Sophia,
Yes if you give the maid any money in advance, take it as potentially gone. So just give her small amounts of money, not too much.

If you are worried about the safety of your family, then it may be better to start looking for new maids. You may be able to find some very experienced and good maids, just keep looking.

You are not a coward ! It is absolutely fine to have more people at home to help out. As mommies, we need to have our own lives too !

Hi Mommies,

I heard from the school principal this morning, that CCAs are NOT compulsory. If our kids are taking swimming lessons, then we can actually inform the school, so they don't need to take another CCA !

What do you think about not having an CCAs in primary school ?

My boy likes his swimming lessons very much. He learning ability is only average, so I don't want him to spend time on CCAs. Not that I want him to study all the time lah, I just want him to have time to play or daydream.

tamarind

My take on CCA is - it's free enrichment!

I don't want my kids to spend too much time on one CCA, those with intensive training & lots of staying back in school kind of CCA is out. So I usually encourage them to pick something they're interested & I would have been willing to pay for them to learn externally kind of 'enrichment' CCA.

My P1 girl is taking Chinese dance in scool. She's totally into dancing. She learned samba, bollywood, ballet during her preschool years. She picked her CCA 2 years ago, way before starting P1, after watching a performance in her jie jie's primary school

Sophia

Congrats!

Pertaining to your qn... what I did is send my elder one to full day childcare while I babysit number 2 at home. No maid & not much help from either side grandmas. So childcare is my only option at that time. Don't think I can handle a newborn and a 2yo at the same time. Sure go peng san

I've a part time cleaner to help with ironing, washing toilet & mopping the floor. Meals I ordered tingkat. So my time at home with baby is still quite relaxed lah, can carry her throughout her waking moments. She's so cute & chubby! Arh.... how I missed having a small & cuddable baby

Back