Any comments on Catholic Kindergarten,Kovan

twinkystar, emma_mom, krex_78: didn't manage to meet any of u
sad.gif
my gal v easy to recognise. she was the cry-baby who teacher susan & 白老师had to carry thru out the second day.

Hi Mummies,

Would you be able to check with your kids to see if they have been fed in school? My niece joined the nursery class but she has been insisting that she wasn't fed at all and I am worried...

Thanks!

Charmaine,

My son also in nursery class. When I ask him did he eat. He did not answer me. Teacher wont be able to fed all kids. They should learn how to eat by them self.
happy.gif

Charmaine,

The children are served food but not fed, that what I noticed when I accompanied my son there on Day 3. They are encouraged to feed themselves and the teacher will only help the laggards who are keep up.

My son has not been eating in class also. He's in Pre-N and that's because I know he can hardly even fed himself properly. I've been feeding him before he goes to school so at least he won't go that hungry.

Hope this clarifies.
happy.gif

Charmaine, Carol: maidenleak is right. they serve food to them but the children are expected to feed themselves. the teachers only feed those who look lost & don't know how to hold the spoon at all. my kids have been feeding themselves too. & they r in Pre-N. by nursery, they shd know how to feed themselves, there are not enough teachers to feed them.

my little boy not only ate up his own bowl, he took some from the boy next to him
happy.gif

Thanks, Mummies. Sorry for not stating my question properly. My meaning actually was, were food served to the kids these few days? My niece is 3 years+, can talk fluently and feed herself. I have a son in Pre-N who is a Decemeber baby, can't talk alot and feed himself properly (though a few mouthfuls are better than nothing). I am worried about the food part because they take the school bus and it might be as late as 3pm before they reach home to eat, a freaking 5hrs from their last meal at home if they didn't eat in school.

I was there on Day 3 and when asked at home later that day, my niece told her mum that they ate porridge but nothing at all last Fri and yesterday. So I am more than worried now and thought to check with you all.

Thanks!

mousey43: confirmed they had food yesterday cos my daughter's teacher called to feedback about how badly she behaved yesterday. & told me she had good appetite, ate one whole bowl of porridge but still cried after tt.

Many thanks, Olwen. You have no idea how much this rests my mind. The teacher also called me last Friday - to tell me that my son vomitted after crying again. Yesterday was the 3rd time he had to wear a borrowed shirt from the school. Crossing my fingers that today will be better.

Hi Mousey43,

My son is also a december baby and is in pre-nursery! Yah he can hardly even hold the spoon properly.

The teacher only called me to top up his diapers. According to them, they have been overflowing with so much pee until on friday, his entire pants dropped in school! wahahahha

I have been making him drink lots of water before school because I am afraid teachers won't have time to give him water to drink or he is just too distracted to drink when everyone else is drinking.

Oh well... they have to learn some time, sooner or later.
happy.gif

Maidenleak, Renee has asked me about the playdate. I would love to join if I can make it. Thanks for looking out for James. He got some bad feedback from the teachers...he doesn't listen to them. :-(

Hi Maidenleak, yes you are right to do that. My son loves to drink water but he had been coming home with a full bottle of water (because he didn't know how to open the cover) and he is starved everyday! Finishing his milk within 2 minutes everyday after school. Imagine that. I have since taught him to open his own water bottle and it's an empty bottle everyday now.

I don't quite understand your reply. You mean your son can open his own bottle but you are afraid he might not be drinking due to various reasons?

My son got a fever on Friday night, and Chinese sinseh says it's because he's too heaty, didn't drink enough water. He doesn't like to drink water, so he probably doesn't drink even during "water time". Every day, his cheeks and lips are so red after school.

He's finally recovered after 3 nights of fever, so he's going back to school today.

Hi Hi mousey43 and Jamiemama,

Isaiah also got a fever last week. He's been away from school for a week now because he's nursing a cough and I thought I'll like to have him home least he spreads the cough around.

He should be going back to school soon, will check on his cough again today.

Did you all get the news? K1 in school have a case of hfmd.

Well Isaiah is just very distracted easily. So he may be thirsty but because there's so much happening, he will forget to drink his water.

Think its just the adjusting phase for our little ones. Should get better soon.

hi hi...

I am currently looking for a pre nursery for my boy next year.. and happen to stumble upon this link..

was wondering if you can advise the school fees for this school and how is the experience so far for your kids. Also is there anyone here taking school bus from Sengkang, can i know the rates?

thank you for your advice..

wow.. din know this thread is so active!

HFMD - Last i heard, there's a second case already. In the same class as the first case. If there's more cases, think I'll take my boy out of school for a while.

Any mummies have children in Daisy B? My son also had a bout of fever after 1st week of school. Ended up missing school for 2 days. Thankfully now better....

Nowadays the weather so erratic. Sometimes it's so hot during the afternoons. I hope the teachers don't let them play in the hot sun... or else sure fall sick...

Hello mummies

Anyone who has kids in k1/k2?

Would like to hear fr u about wat u think on the sch curriculum? Too easy/difficult?

Thanks

AdelChia,

I think the kids still go out to play in the afternoons. Some days my boy's cheeks are so red after sch!

Did you all see the materials that they brought back in the school bag? So cute to see that our littles ones are learning positive things!
happy.gif

Maidenleak,
Yah, the art and craft stuff very cute. And my boy started to walk backwards last weekend... think he must have picked it up from school.

Btw, 3rd case of HFMD already.. still in same class. Sigh, hope the sch can contain the cases...

Your boy in Hibiscus or Daisy?

Hi Ariene, the fee for Pre-N is $500/term (or is it $490?), i.e. 10 weeks. Each session is 3 hours long and there are two sessions, 8-11am and 11am-2pm. Experience seems quite good but it's quite individual lah. My son loves his school, he'll tell everybody he goes to Catholic Kindergarten/ 公教幼稚园. Student-teacher ratio is on the higher side (18:2) so the initial stage looks quite chaotic, but I guess it'll settle down soon.

Maidenleak, Jamie has been absent from school this whole week (he caught a cold last weekend) so he's missed out on a lot of arts and craft! Can't wait to see what the kids have done. The HFMD cases don't help either...But if there are no more new cases this week, I'll send him to school next Monday.

Adelchia,

I checked out MOH website. It stated once sch have 10 cases of hfmd, they will put it up on website. Once reach 15 or 16 cases, sch will be ordered to close. Haven't heard any more cases yet... choi choi.

My boy is in Hibiscus B.
happy.gif

Maidenleak, Jamiemama,
Thankfully no more cases of HFMD so far. Hopefully the chain of infection is broken already.

Btw, does any mummy know how many Nursery classes does Catholic Kindergarten have and how many students are there in each class?

Wow!! I din knw there is such a thread. My boy is in hibiscus b. He is the youngest boy in whole sch cos born on 1 jan 2009. I know Isaiah and James! I am a sahm n pick n drop my boy everyday. His name is John. I agree James is a very good boy and very mature in behaviour. Last wk quite funny James climbed the window to wave to sch bus and teacher joreen had to carry him down twice. So so cute!

Hi PAT, hope to see you some time! I pick James up from school occasionally. He has been misbehaving, I'm sure you see him screaming every day this week when his grandma drops him off. After the CNY break, he doesn't want to go to school anymore. The teachers tell me he misbehaves and keeps running out of the classroom to do his own thing.

Yesterday night James (we call him Jamie) covered something with a blanket and said "Guess what is this?" I think the kids must have played this game in school.

hi mummies,

Is there a long waitlist for Cat Kindy? I have shortlisted the school for my daughter & I would like to know the chances of getting into this kindy. Registration will be in Phase 3 (open to public) for pre-nursery 2012. Do I have to queue up early on the registration day?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Pat & Jamiemama!

Pat - I've seen you around when you pick John up. You usually carry your younger baby and you attend St Anne's too right?
happy.gif

Jamiemama- Isaiah did the cover his head with a blanket too! Teacher Joreen said they watch Barney sometimes in school so I guess they pick up some things from that.

Isaiah has been ill this week, down with bronchitis! Is it normal that our kids keep on falling ill when they start school?
sad.gif
Isaiah's paed says its normal for them to fall ill every alternate week!
sad.gif

hi happymrskoh,
suggest that you go early to queue especially if you want to get into the morning session. The spaces for the morning session typically get snapped up fast.... There are 4 classes for Pre-N, 2 morning and 2 afternoon... each class has about 15+ students

Maidenleak, my sympathies. I hope Isaiah is all recovered. Everyone tells me kids will keep falling sick for at least a year after they start school.

There are 3 cases of HFMD in school again...

Happymrskoh, I chose Cath Kindy based on reading forum posts. It's also a 3 minute drive from my home. I like that there's no aircon and the kids get fresh air. The ample playground is a real attraction as well. For a kindy with a large campus, the fees are on the low end. When I visited, the teacher I met was very well-spoken and had been with the school for a long time. She's not taking my son's class, but I've since found my son's teachers (Joreen and 白老师) very nice too.

Happymrskoh,
I choose this kindy coz this was where I studied. Also wanted my son to grow up in a Christian environment.

Hihi!

Hubby went to queue up this morning and we were lucky to get a placement for my daughter next year! I think he queued for more than an hour.. Kiasu us! But some went as early as 4 plus in the morning.. But all the morning slots have been taken up during Phase 1 and 2, so we only managed to get the 11-2pm slot. =)

adelgal,
how nice to have your son studied in the same kindy as yourself! Do you mind sharing with me their curriculum? Are the teachers who taught you still around? My only concern is whether my daughter will be able to catch up with her peers when she enters primary school.
happy.gif

Jamiemama,
Thanks for your reply! I was also attracted to the large playground and non air-con environment like you. The Kindy is actually about 5 min walk from my home and I think we probably stay quite near to each other?

Forgot to ask in detail about bus transport. Anyone's kid taking bus transport? How much is it? I am thinking of letting my daughter take school bus to my MIL's house in Hougang after school since I'm working. Getting all excited now..hee

Hi happymrskoh,
Congrats on getting a place!
The teachers who taught me are no longer ard. It's been a long time since I studied there. Can't remember the curriculum, but my son learnt about "Body parts" last term.
Won't be able to opine on whether the sch prepares well for Pri 1 since I'm quite out of touch with the current Pri 1 syllabus already. But if you are concerned, can supplement with other classes during the weekend? In terms of activities, I think it's quite similar to other schools like Julia Gabriel. I sent my boy to Julia Gabriel b4 he started pre-N. From the Cath kinder orientation video, seems like the activities are similar so I pulled him out of the Julia Gabriel weekend classes.

adelgal,
Thanks! you can read my mind? cos I am actually contemplating to let my daughter attend a trial class at JG for enrichment class! Planning to let her attend some weekend enrichment first before she starts school next year. Can side track a bit, what do kids do at JG? I heard from my friend that JG helps to boost speaking confidence in children, true? So, just want to try it out first..

Back to Catholic Kindy, just curious if they have enrichment classes for the upper level? I hope I have some info for this to aid in my future planning cos it would be good that the Kindy provides in-house enrichment so that I don't have to bring my daughter elsewhere for enrichment if need be in future as I am contemplating whether to continue with my part-time job or revert back to full-time job. If there's in-house enrichment, I will probably revert back to full-time since I don't have to fetch her to enrichment classes and my MIL can help me look after her instead
happy.gif

Hi happymrskoh,
JG has song and dance, alphabet / chinese characters of the day, story-telling, art and craft, snack time and outdoor play. There's no specific session which requires children to speak so I'm not sure how it boost speaking confidence. It's probably a different class from what I attended.

For Cath Kinder, yes, think there's enrichment classes. Saw something like this during the orientation. But don't have the details. Why don't u call the school and ask them? They shd be better able to advise...

Anyone's kid in K2 now in CK? Or had kids who are in primary school? Are kids prep well for primary school. How's the staff turnover?

happymrskoh, i stay near Hougang St 21. long walk but short drive to Cath Kindy. you are lucky if you stay walking distance. I see lots of CK pupils walk home after school to Kovan Melody. So convenient!

Jamiemama,
Yes, it's very convenient as the kindy is within walking distance from home although mine is a little far off from Kovan Melody.. That's one of the reasons why we chose this kindy too.

Hi mrs koh

It peak period and some irresponsible parent still sending the kids to sch despite they sick. The school will take temp and check out the symptom of hfmd every morning..

Don't need to worry if u too uncomfortable u may keep the child away from school.

The 2 kids are in catholics now ( k1 & Pre-N)

Hi all,

I am considering to send my boy to CK. He will be in K1 level next year. Any feedback from senior mummies how they are preparing the kids for Primary?

Thanks
happy.gif

Hi, is this thread still alive? Keke.. I'm interested to enrol my boy there too.. Went to look at the premises today...
Not bad..
Fees not as ex too ... I went living Santuary kindegarden n enquiry too, fees more ex lor .. But that place is air conditioned..
Still thinking ... But my boy only gg to start in 2013.
Kiasu me wana go check out n compare ard Liao ! Lol .. But I dun stay along kovan area.. So it's a bus ride/ drive away...

Not that I know of. I just called them today. If you're a Catholic, registration for kids born in 2010 is on 7th March.

phase 1 - 5th March 2012 (strictly for sibling of current student)

Phase 2 - 7th March 2012 ( catholic and children /sibling of former student - proof required)

Phase 3 - 19th march - 5th april 2012 ( open for public)

school fee is $630 per term but still cheaper than living sanctuary which is $780 per term

Hi hi,

I just chanced upon this thread yesterday and quickly went down to register my boy for Pre-N this morning but all the slots have been taken up
sad.gif
Sad.

The person in charge put him on the waiting list; have to wait till Oct for news. Fingers crossed...

Hi hi,

Anyone knows of any school bus that will go to AMK from CK?

Hi hondabar88,
I have registered DS for next year N2 1st session. Is your son attending any class this year?

Hello

I've registered my girl for pre-n too! Afternoon session.
Hope to know more moms and tots,

Back